ADVERTISEMENT

Diallo update

This is all info that is out there. Diallo's workouts where turrible. His shot was not just off, but WAY off (like 10% from three or something like that), and he was getting taken off the dribble at will by the other guards he was up against. His footwork was not great and his handle was just OK. He was an athletic freak though and could jump out of the gym and that was the only thing that kept his work-outs from being a laughingstock because he was able to put it on the floor and throw down some thunderous jams. They definitely see a lot of potential for him though, which is why they are considering drafting him.

The reason though that there hasn't been any announcement is that Diallo is like 75% wanting to stay in the draft, but none of the teams he worked out for have given him the promise. He and his family want this to happen now (the NBA), but everyone around him (other than his family & friends) who care about his future are telling him to go back to UK and that's not what he really wants to hear. Not that he has anythign against UK or playing here; it's just that he thinks he's ready now and that might not be the case.

If we are gonna make a run we need Diallo- Cal will make him a top 3 pick in next years draft - Love to have Johnson as well - Diallo is the real deal - he can out shoot Fox and nobody complained about him last year- Kid is a man amongst boys in the college game - Diallo will light Rupp up with his insane dunks and defense next year- HUMAN HIGHLIGHT FILM

Can you name me one time in history someone went from being a late first round pick one year to being a top 3 pick the next year.

I dont think there is anyway Diallo will ever be a top 3 pick next year. Some people are setting their expectations way too high for this kid.

Reactions: Big_Blue79
right..we dont want any players that come before Madonna....

thatswhatshesaid.jpg

Reactions: morgousky
I'd rather have a solid proven player for two years in Cam Johnson. Diallo may be hard to coach. Looks like he wants that big contract without putting in the work.

Reactions: westerncat
Can you name me one time in history someone went from being a late first round pick one year to being a top 3 pick the next year.

I dont think there is anyway Diallo will ever be a top 3 pick next year. Some people are setting their expectations way too high for this kid.

I don't think Diallo will be top 3. But Buddy Hield is an example of someone who made a huge leap.

And that was after Hield had played a lot of college games. Diallo is in a unique situation, because there have been very few high school kids in this position over the last decade+.

Exactly, Buddy Hield became a phenomenal shooter over a 3 year period.

Very few people ever develop the shooting ability that Buddy did, and the chance of Diallo doing that over the next 12 months is almost impossible.

If he is not a good shooter now, chances are he will not be a very good shooter next April.

I would be surprised if Diallo even cracks the top 12 in the draft next year

at this point it might be best for him to go. would love to see him play in a uk uniform but many fans are just going to be on his ass with every mistake, cheering against him.

Been past the point of really caring much for a week or so. Just want the roster set.

at this point it might be best for him to go. would love to see him play in a uk uniform but many fans are just going to be on his ass with every mistake, cheering against him.
Uh, no. The second he returns, if he returns, the hand-wringing pants-pissers will be sniffing his jock like it is heavenly nectar. The trolls -- and that is the majority of those attacking him -- will move on to something else, because they know Kentucky just got stronger.

Exactly, Buddy Hield became a phenomenal shooter over a 3 year period.

Very few people ever develop the shooting ability that Buddy did, and the chance of Diallo doing that over the next 12 months is almost impossible.

If he is not a good shooter now, chances are he will not be a very good shooter next April.

I would be surprised if Diallo even cracks the top 12 in the draft next year

Yeah, you are probably right that it will be tough for him to go better than top 10-12.

But the fact that his game in competitive situations is so unknown gives him way more upside than the typical college freshman.

Some things he might do besides becoming a knockdown shooter are tighten his handle, set up teammates, make clutch winning plays, and become an elite defender.

If he were to do all of those things and also miraculously become a 35% three point shooter - that's a top 5 pick.

Does all of that and shoots maybe 28-30%? I don't know, maybe 15-20?

Finally......fruition is upon us. The guy will have to make a decision. Personally I hope he stays in the draft. In every picture I've seen of the guy he always has the expression that someone stole his lucky charms.......or he needs a map. Either way......good to move on

Yeah, you are probably right that it will be tough for him to go better than top 10-12.

But the fact that his game in competitive situations is so unknown gives him way more upside than the typical college freshman.

Some things he might do besides becoming a knockdown shooter are tighten his handle, set up teammates, make clutch winning plays, and become an elite defender.

If he were to do all of those things and also miraculously become a 35% three point shooter - that's a top 5 pick.

Does all of that and shoots maybe 28-30%? I don't know, maybe 15-20?

Everything you said sounds about right
The fact that he is such a physical specimen but is struggling to get a first round pick, leads me to believe he has to has some serious deficiencies.

As the poster above mentioned, Buddy Hield went from way out to #6:

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Buddy-Hield-58749/mock-draft-history/

In fact, this kind of development happens literally every year. Before Hield was D'Angelo Russell, the Marcus Smart, then Ben McLemore

Reactions: wentzel25 and Aike
As the poster above mentioned, Buddy Hield went from way out to #6:

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Buddy-Hield-58749/mock-draft-history/

In fact, this kind of development happens literally every year. Before Hield was D'Angelo Russell, the Marcus Smart, then Ben McLemore

There are a lot of examples of guys improving and shooting up the draft board - Thomas Robinson, how about Frank Kaminksy, even WCS. The notion that guys can't improve if they come back to school is stupid.

This is all info that is out there. Diallo's workouts where turrible. His shot was not just off, but WAY off (like 10% from three or something like that), and he was getting taken off the dribble at will by the other guards he was up against. His footwork was not great and his handle was just OK. He was an athletic freak though and could jump out of the gym and that was the only thing that kept his work-outs from being a laughingstock because he was able to put it on the floor and throw down some thunderous jams. They definitely see a lot of potential for him though, which is why they are considering drafting him.

The reason though that there hasn't been any announcement is that Diallo is like 75% wanting to stay in the draft, but none of the teams he worked out for have given him the promise. He and his family want this to happen now (the NBA), but everyone around him (other than his family & friends) who care about his future are telling him to go back to UK and that's not what he really wants to hear. Not that he has anythign against UK or playing here; it's just that he thinks he's ready now and that might not be the case.
Just talking out of your @$$ I see

There are a lot of examples of guys improving and shooting up the draft board - Thomas Robinson, how about Frank Kaminksy, even WCS. The notion that guys can't improve if they come back to school is stupid.

And the notion that they will (or are even likely to do so) is also stupid. Diallo could drastically improve his stock, sure, but it's far from a given. I would guess (but I don't know) that it's less likely that a kid will drastically improve his stock if scouts have seen him at the combine and in workouts; there is little potential for overlooking something already there, just potential for actual improvement (that outpaces normal development). That can happen, but the Buddy Hield type story is remarkable for its rarity.

ADVERTISEMENT