ADVERTISEMENT

Diallo update

This is all info that is out there. Diallo's workouts where turrible. His shot was not just off, but WAY off (like 10% from three or something like that), and he was getting taken off the dribble at will by the other guards he was up against. His footwork was not great and his handle was just OK. He was an athletic freak though and could jump out of the gym and that was the only thing that kept his work-outs from being a laughingstock because he was able to put it on the floor and throw down some thunderous jams. They definitely see a lot of potential for him though, which is why they are considering drafting him.

The reason though that there hasn't been any announcement is that Diallo is like 75% wanting to stay in the draft, but none of the teams he worked out for have given him the promise. He and his family want this to happen now (the NBA), but everyone around him (other than his family & friends) who care about his future are telling him to go back to UK and that's not what he really wants to hear. Not that he has anythign against UK or playing here; it's just that he thinks he's ready now and that might not be the case.

The general theme here is right... he does want to play in the NBA next year, and some of the family is hoping the same. The feedback and workouts have not been as bad as you painted here.
I have no idea which way this one goes.

It's hard to see him getting a first round guarantee but he might want the NBA so bad that it doesn't matter if he's a second rounder.

The general theme here is right... he does want to play in the NBA next year, and some of the family is hoping the same. The feedback and workouts have not been as bad as you painted here.
I have no idea which way this one goes.

Well, regardless if he is picked in the first round, there is almost no chance he is in the NBA proper next season. Everything I have heard is he will be in the D league.

1. If he stays in the draft; I'm fine, I'm not gonna cry, I like our team.
  2. If he stays at UK next year, that's GREAT, that's just one more piece of the roster "flexibility" puzzle for Cal to use and it enhances one of the perceived weaknesses of the team (back-court).
  3. If #2 happens he has probably heard from the NBA that he has at least two improvement priorities that he has to work on; shooting and his handle. He needs to not dunk the basketball one single time all summer but just shoot every shot he can put up in 24/7 outside of the foul lane. He just has to put in the work to get into the lottery talk for 2018.
  4. NBA can use you if you are special in at least one thing (shooting, rebounding, defense, speed, size, etc.). They will draft on potential but you will not play any significant minutes in the NBA just based on potential (except teams "tanking" on purpose). There are lots of 6'5" guys in the NBA/ D-League who can jump/ dunk and just those two attributes alone will not keep you in the league too long.
IMO.

For a kid who had this devious scheme since his 2nd trimester in the womb, he sure is taking a long time to make a choice.

Probably just trying to continue hurting us for as long as possible. I expect he'll announce he's returning and then just never show up publicly until Draft night when he's sitting next to Coach K while he gives a speech about how the D-League is better than Kentucky.

Sounds like the kid doesn't wanna be here. Doing all he can to prevent coming back.
Why hasn't he signed with an agent yet? That's what you call "doing what you can to prevent from coming back" you doofus.

As the poster above mentioned, Buddy Hield went from way out to #6:

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Buddy-Hield-58749/mock-draft-history/

In fact, this kind of development happens literally every year. Before Hield was D'Angelo Russell, the Marcus Smart, then Ben McLemore

I dont think you guys get it. You can only provide a handful of examples of someone being evaluated in the draft, deciding to come back and then significantly improve their stock in 11 months. It RARELY happens, and to assume Diallo will just come back and easily slide into a top 10 spot next year is foolish. It may happen, but its a long shot.

Derreck Williams - Good example
Thomas Robinson - Good example

Kaminsky - took 4 years to develop
Griffin - Was a projected lottery pick in 2008 and he battled mulitple injuries
Monk - Freshman never went through the draft process
Ball - Freshman never went through the draft process
Russel - Freshman never went through the draft process
McLemore - Freshman never went through the draft process
Smart - Hurt his draft stock slightly by coming back, was projected #2 in 2013, went #6 in 2014
http://www.orlandopinstripedpost.co...013-nba-mock-draft-marcus-smart-orlando-magic
WCS - Projected lottery pick in 2013

I dont think you guys get it. You can only provide a handful of examples of someone being evaluated in the draft, deciding to come back and then significantly improve their stock in 11 months. It RARELY happens, and to assume Diallo will just come back and easily slide into a top 10 spot next year is foolish. It may happen, but its a long shot.

Smart - Hurt his draft stock slightly by coming back, was projected #2 in 2013, went #6 in 2014
http://www.orlandopinstripedpost.co...013-nba-mock-draft-marcus-smart-orlando-magic
This would make sense IF he had ever played college basketball. Totally different situation.

Reactions: Aike and brianpoe
I'm not sure why there is so much animosity against HD and no issue with CJ?

Diallo - NBA or UK

Cam Johnson - begging to get into UNC but if not, will accept a UK scholarship (assuming HD stays in the draft).

I'll take the kid preferring the NBA over us than UNC.

All of the players ahead of Diallo in this year's draft wont be in the draft next season.

Are there 30 players in the NCAA better than him this year?

It's not like he is projected so low because he has topped out his potential.

He hasnt scratched the surface and that is why he could be a first rounder this year.

I will go on record saying he is at least 10-15 spots higher than the 2nd round projections this season when next year's draft rolls around.

Reactions: UKCatnNC and chroix
This is all info that is out there. Diallo's workouts where turrible. His shot was not just off, but WAY off (like 10% from three or something like that), and he was getting taken off the dribble at will by the other guards he was up against. His footwork was not great and his handle was just OK. He was an athletic freak though and could jump out of the gym and that was the only thing that kept his work-outs from being a laughingstock because he was able to put it on the floor and throw down some thunderous jams. They definitely see a lot of potential for him though, which is why they are considering drafting him.

The reason though that there hasn't been any announcement is that Diallo is like 75% wanting to stay in the draft, but none of the teams he worked out for have given him the promise. He and his family want this to happen now (the NBA), but everyone around him (other than his family & friends) who care about his future are telling him to go back to UK and that's not what he really wants to hear. Not that he has anythign against UK or playing here; it's just that he thinks he's ready now and that might not be the case.

Well if he can't shoot and can't guard, why do we him?

Finally......fruition is upon us. The guy will have to make a decision. Personally I hope he stays in the draft. In every picture I've seen of the guy he always has the expression that someone stole his lucky charms.......or he needs a map. Either way......good to move on

What the **** does that even mean? Some of you people are dumber beyond words

This is true. And there is risk that his flaws become even more so exposed during a season a big-time college basketball.
This whole process has probably put a larger microscope on him… Which may not be a good thing. I think he would've been better served by not initiating the process, and instead focusing on his career at Kentucky. But you can't undo what is done… And I think now his best bet may be to stay in the draft.

Last edited:
Reactions: KyFaninNC
Kyle Tucker says that Diallo has not informed Cal or UK staff of his decision yet.

signing an agent would prevent him from coming back. and since you agree that he is doing all he can to prevent coming back...why hasnt he?

He's doing all he can to get an NBA team to bite and give him a guarantee, and if they do he's gone. At the same time, he appears to at least be smart enough to hold on to his eligibility in case that doesn't happen.

I'm not sure why there is so much animosity against HD and no issue with CJ?

Diallo - NBA or UK

Cam Johnson - begging to get into UNC but if not, will accept a UK scholarship (assuming HD stays in the draft).

I'll take the kid preferring the NBA over us than UNC.

I'm equally frustrated with both. Hami for knowing where he stood basically this whole time and teasing us until the final day (unless it's to set up a return announcement, in which case I'll gladly be a complete hypocrite, do a 180, and love it), and Cam for falling for Roy and Baby Blue's Awww Shucks garbage.

This is true. And there is risk that his flaws become even more so exposed during a season a big-time college basketball.
This whole process has probably put a larger microscope on him… Which may not be a good thing. I think he would've been better served by not initiating the process, and instead focusing on his career at Kentucky. But you can't undo what is done… And I think now is best bet may be to stay in the draft.

Absolutely possible. Hopefully he was told what he needs to improve on and works very hard at those skills.

Of course, I could have told him to work on his jumper...

Last edited:
Reactions: Brando Mac
He's doing all he can to get an NBA team to bite and give him a guarantee, and if they do he's gone. At the same time, he appears to at least be smart enough to hold on to his eligibility in case that doesn't happen.

I'm equally frustrated with both. Hami for knowing where he stood basically this whole time and teasing us until the final day (unless it's to set up a return announcement, in which case I'll gladly be a complete hypocrite, do a 180, and love it), and Cam for falling for Roy and Baby Blue's Awww Shucks garbage.

Honestly, there is no reason to be frustrated with HD until he makes a decision.

If he stays in the draft then we will all be frustrated for selfish reasons of not having the SG we expected.

I dont blame anyone for going for it even if i think it is dumb.

Although, if he honestly hasn't been given a guarantee in the 1st then that would add to my frustration.

If anyone has a beef, it should be with the NBA. The NBA created the one and done rule. Cal figured out how to use it to his advantage. Last year, Thon Maker was one and done, but his one did not include college ball.

If not for the oad rule, these kids would jump straight from high school. Since they have to spend a year somewhere, most choose top colleges. But they have choices of sitting out somewhere other than college. Foreign leagues, prep school, college, or just hang out somewhere. It's the NBA's willingness to pay big $$$$ for athleticism without proven skill that is the problem, but it's their money.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out. If Diallo makes the jump this year, there is a new blueprint.

Reactions: RickyAllen19

Why not just get off Cam's back. UNC is by far his best opportunity
for major pt at a major FF contender. A position currently empty.
Would be competing with Knox & Vando for at UK a wing position, plus
lesser rated players like Alex and Baker.
Why would he not choose UNC if made eligible?

Just that little cheating problem and possibly probation.

Honestly, there is no reason to be frustrated with HD until he makes a decision.

If he stays in the draft then we will all be frustrated for selfish reasons of not having the SG we expected.

I dont blame anyone for going for it even if i think it is dumb.

Although, if he honestly hasn't been given a guarantee in the 1st then that would add to my frustration.

Absolutely, even though I've not been a fan of this situation I've always contended that he has a right to go pro and do what makes him happy. My thing is he's known where he's stood in this particular draft for quite a while and the mixed feedback he's received has basically confirmed that, so I just don't get the need to drag it down to the last day. Yeah, he's just 18, but deep down he has to know whether or not he's okay with taking the risk of being a borderline first round pick.

Reactions: morgousky

Because most of use dislike UNC more than the NBA?

Because NBA fans dont crap on our fanbase and coach nonstop, everyday like the baby blue asswipes?

Because the North Carolina Way was 20 years of the worst cheating in NCAA history?

Because... I have like 50 more if you need them Poppy..

Yeah, when pigs fly.:rolleyes:
In that case, a release is likely for him and others according to
length of probation.
I can't see him wanting to have to go to yet another school if that was the case.Seems crazy to take that chance but maybe Roy sent him pics of his rings and Cam bought his garbage.

Because most of use dislike UNC more than the NBA?

Because NBA fans dont crap on our fanbase and coach nonstop, everyday like the baby blue asswipes?

Because the North Carolina Way was 20 years of the worst cheating in NCAA history?

Because... I have like 50 more if you need them Poppy..

50 or a 100........none mean a crap to Cam.. only to us.
Don't blame the kid.

Well, if Cam is as good as everyone on here seems to think he is and Diallo bolts, then he should be able to come in and start at SG for UK next year and get major PT for that FF contender.

Besides, everyone says Knox is a SF and in no way on Earth could he ever play SG, and we're also flipping out over Vando's "secret injury" and unsure if he'll ever be able play.

Reactions: brianpoe
Absolutely, even though I've not been a fan of this situation I've always contended that he has a right to go pro and do what makes him happy. My thing is he's known where he's stood in this particular draft for quite a while and the mixed feedback he's received has basically confirmed that, so I just don't get the need to drag it down to the last day. Yeah, he's just 18, but deep down he has to know whether or not he's okay with taking the risk of being a borderline first round pick.

I dont necessarily agree with that statement. I agree we all thought he had some flaws as it pertained to playing in the NBA this season, but it appeared that Cal, and possibly HD, were really surprised at the high praise the kid was receiving.

The negatives just started to come out as he just finished private workouts last week.

So give him the few days after his final workout to make a decision, not too much to ask.

As of this point the kid has done nothing wrong and certainly nothing to deserve the crap a bunch of our own posters have been stating.

He has to decide tomorrow.

I can't see him wanting to have to go to yet another school if that was the case.Seems crazy to take that chance but maybe Roy sent him pics of his rings and Cam bought his garbage.

Remember when we went on probation. (Sutton)
Many left and played without sitting out.......the unforgettables stayed.
Even with Diallo , we would still have 2 scollies left.......does Cal say no?

One thing Id add, no one ever knows who the decision makers are. Every parent, grandparent, handler, coach etc "claims" the "kid" makes his own call. That's not been close to my experience. They are typically too young and lean on the people around them. I'd bet his posse has a lot of say on this and will influence the decision big time, if not make it for him.

Reactions: brianpoe
Remember when we went on probation. (Sutton)
Many left and played without sitting out.......the unforgettables stayed.
Even with Diallo , we would still have 2 scollies left.......does Cal say no?

Depends on what Cal has lined up next year and who he thinks will leave.

Lots of talent in this class coming up and we are in on many of them.

Well, if Cam is as good as everyone on here seems to think he is and Diallo bolts, then he should be able to come in and start at SG for UK next year and get major PT for that FF contender.

Besides, everyone says Knox is a SF and in no way on Earth could he ever play SG, and we're also flipping out over Vando's "secret injury" and unsure if he'll ever be able play.

You're quoting "ifs and maybes" vs a sure spot (pt) at UNC. I don't like it. but don't blame Cam.

ADVERTISEMENT