ADVERTISEMENT

Diallo perfect example of why college players....

ulismyman

Senior
Jan 11, 2015
Should be paid...if they received a stipend of some kind fringe 1st or 2nd rounders would return to scbool...instead they often jump at chance for the money then are never heard from again....thoughts?

propose a stipend figure. Then illustrate that figure against the wages guaranteed by the NBA rookie scale and other players with contracts who were taken in recent 2nd rounds (not guaranteed contracts). Then, form an argument for how your stipend amount will remain adequate for achieving the goal. Never mind during all of this the uniqueness, rare example of Diallo's unprecedented situation, the folly of proving him a "perfect example."

Should be paid...if they received a stipend of some kind fringe 1st or 2nd rounders would return to scbool...instead they often jump at chance for the money then are never heard from again....thoughts?
A stipend is a fixed regular sum paid as a salary or allowance. There is no stipend a college could pay that would offset the millions paid by a first round selection in the NBA.

Reactions: Rockford
I agree that a stipend would help keep some of the fringe players from leaving early, but not all. In Diallo's case I don't think it would matter. He is a first round player that is trying to gauge exactly where he might go in this year's draft and then decide if that is good enough to leave or come back and try to go higher next year. I think if he stays in the late first round he comes back, but will leave if he works his way up inside the top 20.

Reactions: DanHalen88
We do pay. Just ask any Louisville fan.

The stipend wouldn't be nearly enough to offset guys jumping to the league. College couldn't even pay D-League money.

But the kids should still be paid. And be allowed to make money off of their likeness and endorsements.

Above all else, I don't understand how anyone can tell me I can't make money for scribbling my name on a piece of paper or a picture.

I agree with all of your points. But I can see an argument for Nike/Adidas corrupting kids. But to say I can't sign my own name because you can't regulate it?

Millions vs a small stipend. Yeah, that would bring the fringe guys back in droves. Even if you don't make it and make the NBDL or Euro, you're still talking big money. The fact of the matter remains. As long as Cal is here at UK and with the NBA rep, paired with his thoughts on if you're ready go, and the fact he will continue to recruit the best of the best year in and year out fringe guys at UK will continue to bolt. You heard Briscoe say it. He never entertained a 3rd year here. He doesn't want to risk getting recruited over and he doesn't want to be considered a failure. So he goes pro.

All I think Diallo did was find a loophole and used it to his advantage.

This is such a misconception.

College players DO get a stipend now. It's called "Cost of Attendance".

They get between $2,000 and $3,000 every month, to go towards rent, and then whatever else they want to spend it on.

Sure, it's no NBA salary, but it's not bad on top of the free tuition, fees, books, and meal plan.

Above all else, I don't understand how anyone can tell me I can't make money for scribbling my name on a piece of paper or a picture.

I agree with all of your points. But I can see an argument for Nike/Adidas corrupting kids. But to say I can't sign my own name because you can't regulate it?

Those last four words are the entire crux of the issue. I think so many NCAA types cling to amateurism just because they don't know how to regulate and enforce it. They're afraid to open the flood gates.

Most logical people now can look and see that it's a broken system that generates billions on the backs of unpaid labor. They can't claim the money isn't there. They can't claim the kids are paid in education (where else in the world is that the case?). The only thing that makes them try those other flimsy arguments is that they don't know how to manage the whole thing.

And admittedly, it's tough. How do you stop Nike from sponsoring every kid Oregon wants? How do you stop Coach XYZ from giving a kid an extra hundred thousand to commit when he already has money coming in and can cover it easily?

But the thing is, that stuff is already going on under the table. They can't enforce it the real way, so I don't see what it would hurt. You're just changing the money scale. They're fine with a system where kids take 10 grand on the side but won't allow one where he might get more than that.

Reactions: kyjeff1
This is such a misconception.

College players DO get a stipend now. It's called "Cost of Attendance".

They get between $2,000 and $3,000 every month, to go towards rent, and then whatever else they want to spend it on.

Sure, it's no NBA salary, but it's not bad on top of the free tuition, fees, books, and meal plan.

Actually, the COA stipend is only about $3,000-$6,000 per year, not $2-3K per month. But the point is, there is no stipend colleges could realistically provide that would even come close to NBA money. If you want players to return, the NBA needs to change their 1-and-done rule.

Incidentally, everyone seems to think that Calipari is only successful because of the 1-and-done rule, but I'd argue he'd do even better if prospects had to be 2-3 years removed from HS. He'd still load his roster with 5-star players, but he'd get them for more than just their freshman year.

Reactions: d2atTech
Actually, the COA stipend is only about $3,000-$6,000 per year, not $2-3K per month. But the point is, there is no stipend colleges could realistically provide that would even come close to NBA money. If you want players to return, the NBA needs to change their 1-and-done rule.

Incidentally, everyone seems to think that Calipari is only successful because of the 1-and-done rule, but I'd argue he'd do even better if prospects had to be 2-3 years removed from HS. He'd still load his roster with 5-star players, but he'd get them for more than just their freshman year.

It varies by institution.

My brother plays for a P-5 conference school, and his check is the same every month, $2,796.54. That's what he get's every month.

Reactions: d2atTech

Who says they should stay? If Diallo can get 1st round money then he should only stay if he wants an education. Sure, some draft picks won't work out, but one more year in school likely would not have changed that.

No one can tell you that you can't make money signing autographs. What they can tell you is that if you do, you can't join their club.

The stipend wouldn't be nearly enough to offset guys jumping to the league. College couldn't even pay D-League money.

But the kids should still be paid. And be allowed to make money off of their likeness and endorsements.

I'm pretty indifferent to paying players but not being able to profit off of your likeness is indefensible and utterly unamerican. I have no idea how that's even legal.

Reactions: tHeFeVeR_23
I'm pretty indifferent to paying players but not being able to profit off of your likeness is indefensible and utterly unamerican. I have no idea how that's even legal.

I guess because it's a voluntary system. You don't *have* to play in the NCAA, so they can set forth whatever rules that member institutions agree to abide by. It's why they can strip Penn State of wins for crimes but leave banners for actual infractions. Basically, they can do whatever they want.

At least until the schools get tired of dealing with it and break away and take their money, Nike sponsorships and TV deals with them.

What if someone else makes money off their autograph? Do they get in trouble? They, meaning the player.

Because what's to stop a booster paying you $50k as an "autograph fee?" Tons of corruption possibilities.

If it was a trust to access after college eligibility then sure but no way other than that.

A lot of basketball and football players are total morons and already take joke classes or get ppl to take their classes or whatever. Kind of hard for me to want someone like that to get even more stuff while I have to do my own work and pay for everything.

A lot of basketball and football players are total morons and already take joke classes or get ppl to take their classes or whatever. Kind of hard for me to want someone like that to get even more stuff while I have to do my own work and pay for everything.

:cry::cry::cry:

Have you tried being exceptional and valuable to the school?

On top of the stipend they can get Pell Grants, if they live off campus (doesn't apply to UK basketball) they get room and board paid directly to them, thousands of dollars worth of shoes, there's a clothing fund for NCAA athletes, every meal taken care of, and they get a per diem on the road on top of that.

I'm not totally against fair compensation for collegiate athletes, but I do believe that most people don't seem to understand that paying players beyond COA and scholarships would effectively end collegiate athletics as currently constructed. At least for the big money making sports anyway.

I've always thought things are inevitably moving towards something more similar to how Europe does sports with their pyramid system of leagues, divisions, clubs, cups, and championships. I think moving to pay college athletes would probably expedite the process.

Instead of the University of Kentucky Wildcats, we would be the Lexington Basketball Club. We would compete in the tobacco road league which would be the "Premier" basketball league with about 20 other top programs. Our football team probably wouldn't be in the top league but rather a step or two down.

The AAU and all star circuit is damn near a league of it's own as it is. Once the okay was given to pay players the shoe companies and other corporations probably, would really take over and that would become some sort of league. Jordan Brand, Sprite, Vitamin Water, Dre Beats, and Mcdonalds would have teams.

The prep factories would be gobbled up by somebody and all those "schools" and "academies" would compete in some league.

I don't think players should be paid. Players do receive a monthly stipend I believe because athletics prevents them from having a 'normal job', but I could be wrong on that. I just believe free clothing, housing, eating and education is enough.

I don't think players should be paid. Players do receive a monthly stipend I believe because athletics prevents them from having a 'normal job', but I could be wrong on that. I just believe free clothing, housing, eating and education is enough.

Would you let your job pay you in free classes at the local college in an area that had nothing to do with your career? What if they give you free clothing that all has the company logo on it? What if you live in a dorm room with all your coworkers? What if you can only eat for free from the workplace cafeteria?

:cry::cry::cry:

Have you tried being exceptional and valuable to the school?

I have.

Is it too much to ask a college student to be able to read above a 5th grade level and actually do their effing work?

Always amazes me how people will disregard ethics and principle if it helps them win games. UNC fans are great that.

Reactions: westerncat

I am sorry no stipend could amount to the type of money that lures kids to the NBA. Plus the way the rules are if you give one student athlete in one sport a stipend all sports athletes would receive the same stipend. There are only a few schools that make enough money to actually pay that out. I still say if the kids wants to play he should be able to go right out of high school.

I have.

Is it too much to ask a college student to be able to read above a 5th grade level and actually do their effing work?

Always amazes me how people will disregard ethics and principle if it helps them win games. UNC fans are great that.

The entire thing is a sham. They force kids to go to school in order to play the sport. They cut all kinds of corners because there's a ton of money at stake.

propose a stipend figure. Then illustrate that figure against the wages guaranteed by the NBA rookie scale and other players with contracts who were taken in recent 2nd rounds (not guaranteed contracts). Then, form an argument for how your stipend amount will remain adequate for achieving the goal. Never mind during all of this the uniqueness, rare example of Diallo's unprecedented situation, the folly of proving him a "perfect example."
Damn, Kopi, you throttled that one quickly. Nicely done.

Reactions: KopiKat
Would you let your job pay you in free classes at the local college in an area that had nothing to do with your career? What if they give you free clothing that all has the company logo on it? What if you live in a dorm room with all your coworkers? What if you can only eat for free from the workplace cafeteria?

Big difference. One actually involves being a student. Basketball can just have total morons who put a ball through a hoop while pretending to be a student.

Reactions: Sawnee Cat
Uh, they do get a stipend.
Up to $5000,00 for basketball players, and some schools pay even more.
They also receive a free college education, room and board, and national tv exposure, and a platform to show their talents.

I take the opposite view on this. Diallo is an example as to why the NBA should take players out of high school or if they are a Michael Jordan take them before they are out of high school. Why make anyone have to go to college or high school if they would rather play ball and get paid. Set the age limit at 16. 16 is a good age because you can drive an automobile and who wants to be a millionaire if you can't drive a car legally

Let college be for those players who want to get an education and don't get offended if they are amateurs. It may even be better basketball and certainly the amount of money in college sports would diminish. Ticket prices may even be reasonable again.

Reactions: Cychologist
There's the NBDL and several leagues in other countries willing to pay these guys. No one forces them to go to college, how are they being exploited when they have other options that they're free to choose but decide to go to college?

There is never going to be an example that convinces me why any college player should get paid. We all love the college game for a reason....its because of how it is now.

Reactions: westerncat
This isnt just a 13 players on a basketball team issue....... its all encompassing across NCAA sports. Schools wont be able to get away with paying a basketball player a stipend but not a volleyball player... or else its going to be a major sh*t storm on campus.

There is no easy fix. The NCAA is at the hands of the NBA and their rules. So unless the NBA decides on a 2-3 year rule instead of one and done.... you only have 4 options..

1. Dont recruit the better players so you dont have to deal with it

2. Manipulate players into staying like many coaches do

3. cheat to get your players to stay *coughuncheatcough*

4. Recruit like Cal does and take the good with the bad.

Not really the same though. Not all kids are going to go pro, so for some, the classes are important to their future and sports are a way to get a free education. In the case of one and dones or schools like UK, it gives them an opportunity to be taught by a great coach who will help them succeed in their future profession, all while being taken care of with the essentials. I get your point, but if I was 18 and could make the NBA, I wouldn't be upset with being forced to go to school for one year if it meant receiving the treatment that todays players receive.

You're gonna need a bigger stipend.

giphy.gif

Big difference. One actually involves being a student. Basketball can just have total morons who put a ball through a hoop while pretending to be a student.

Your reply has virtually nothing to do with my post. Accidental quote?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT