ADVERTISEMENT

Diallo perfect example of why college players....

Should be paid...if they received a stipend of some kind fringe 1st or 2nd rounders would return to scbool...instead they often jump at chance for the money then are never heard from again....thoughts?
Be honest, you talked to someone today and are recycling their thoughts.

Reactions: hotelblue
Th

Thats 3 times in last 2 weeks hell has frozen over
That's why I love ya umm you take a lot of shit on this board but you can also take a joke and you know I kid with you a lot but I truly do like you that's no bs

This is such a misconception.

College players DO get a stipend now. It's called "Cost of Attendance".

They get between $2,000 and $3,000 every month, to go towards rent, and then whatever else they want to spend it on.

Sure, it's no NBA salary, but it's not bad on top of the free tuition, fees, books, and meal plan.

Exactly. They do get a stipend. How you think so many of em get tatted up by the time the season starts? They receive a weekly stipend to spend on whatever they want.... supposed to be for food, rent if living off campus, gas, clothes, etc. Not all use it on that.

Awesome post. I also feel the same about Smooth.
lol I see where you went with that but I would bet the farm they aren't the same person. They may say similar things but umm doesn't ask how ya been to anyone who responds or disagrees with his posts. Smooth just kind of drifts around and when he has a random thought starts some dumb ass thread about it.

lol I see where you went with that but I would bet the farm they aren't the same person. They may say similar things but umm doesn't ask how ya been to anyone who responds or disagrees with his posts. Smooth just kind of drifts around and when he has a random thought starts some dumb ass thread about it.

Not the same person..im not smart enough to have 2 names

Reactions: Wall2Boogie
i can't believe it's not butters.
Butters heads up the Mount Rushmore of raft@rds now. You can probably pick out the other three zay, kwilt, and now kyups is making a sting push for that coveted 4 spot with his awful takes

More money involved in college athletics?

Count me out, regardless. Some people just can't help themselves, they always dig the hole until there's nothing left to dig.

Should be paid...if they received a stipend of some kind fringe 1st or 2nd rounders would return to scbool...instead they often jump at chance for the money then are never heard from again....thoughts?
They do get paid,they get a free ride to an education that costs most people tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands of $$$.JMO but athletes are all extremely over-paid considering their actual contribution to Society and Mankind.I respect a working stiff that takes care of his family more than somebody playing a game.

Small schools can't afford it.
almost exactly what I was going to say

schools like Kentucky, Duke, KU, unc** can, of course
A stipend as the OP is saying, has to be regulated, fair across the board. Not everyone could afford it
Now, if the ncaa** were to pay it, that would be different. But they won't, so it's unfortunately a moot point.

edit: I didn't read through the entire thread; didn't realize that players DID receive money for living expenses, etc. But what UK can pay as opposed to what, say Dayton can pay is going to be a huge difference.

They do get paid,they get a free ride to an education that costs most people tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands of $$$.JMO but athletes are all extremely over-paid considering their actual contribution to Society and Mankind.I respect a working stiff that takes care of his family more than somebody playing a game.

It's about the rarity of your skills. If anyone can do your job, even if it's important or difficult, you won't be paid much. If you're the only person alive who can do something, even if it never involves breaking a sweat or even changing out of your pajamas, you can charge whatever you want.

Besides, these athletes generate revenue, and typically on a much larger scale than your average worker for a random company. A guy like LeBron James changed the entire economic position of Cleveland Ohio by coming back to play for the Cavs. The money he created for people who have virtually nothing to do with sports is astounding.

except for some of these guys playing the game, it's all the difference in the world for their families. Eric Bledsoe and his mother were sleeping in a car because they couldn't afford rent. Skal and his family lived in pretty abject poverty. I understand that Diallo's family situation is pretty dire?
It IS just a game for most of us, I agree, but for some it's their lives.

I do believe that college athletes should have a stipend that is above and beyond cost of attendance, but the first steps would be to get the NCAA to stop making cashing in on the top guys likeness and never paying them a dime while at the same time not allowing them to make money on their own likeness. if a college player is popular enough to make some money selling signed picture of himself...what the problem with that? if he popular enough to make money on personal appearances..whats the wrong with that? if someone want to pay him to be in a local ad? and if someone buys a replica jersey with the players name on it..shouldn't he get something? every other kid on a scholarship that is non athletic could do every single one of these things and more to make money and it would not be frowned upon by the university. why are we letting a made up governing body tell these kids they can't make any money at all while attending college

Reactions: tHeFeVeR_23
So do you know what Title IX is? If so you'd know if you pay men's college basketball players you have to pay all the women athletes, all the men's sports too. And the pay would have to be equitable. So where is all that money coming from?

No you wouldnt have to pay women too...they dont bring in money like mens teams...apples to oranges

Small schools can't afford it.
It wouldn't be financed at the school level...the ncaa would pony up the money from the billions of dollars they're making off the revenue sports

Not that I'm saying it would work, just that individual schools' financial situations shouldn't be the determining factor

Reactions: Deli owl
I don't see why there couldn't be a system that allowed for players to return to school after they are drafted. I mean treat it like foreign players to some degree. When that player is ready to come to the league (and they would have to within a 4, 3, 2, or 1 year time frame) and that NBA team would hold their rights and be forced to fulfill an obligation to that individual. And compensate that individual $X dollars until their degree is awarded or they are ready to leave school.

I would propose to eliminate the one-year rule but allow for a choice to attend/return to school for the draftee. Once a player is drafted he can go straight to the league and receive a full-contract or they can choose to go back to school where they would be under scholarship (perhaps for at least 2 years), could receive some compensation from franchise who drafted them (say $25,000), and allowed to receive allowable compensation from a list of things (autograph tours, jersey sales, gaming software, etc.) vs non-allowable (shoe companies, boosters, etc).

I know it would take a lot of ground rules and I am sure there are cons, but I think it would be possible for a system to work like that.

i don't see how you pay athletes at any university for only the "money" sports. female volleyball players would feel wronged. men's swimming & diving would feel wronged. archery? lacrosse? soccer? how do you justify paying only UK basketball players or only Alabama football players? the university as a whole makes money off of very specific sports. would "star" players make more than reserves? if a #0 UK jersey sells like crazy does De'Aaron Fox get a huge chunk of the $, or does Johnny David get an equal amount? how would you even figure out individual value, were you to try? a scholarship is enough.

i don't see how you pay athletes at any university for only the "money" sports. female volleyball players would feel wronged. men's swimming & diving would feel wronged. archery? lacrosse? soccer? how do you justify paying only UK basketball players or only Alabama football players? the university as a whole makes money off of very specific sports. would "star" players make more than reserves? if a #0 UK jersey sells like crazy does De'Aaron Fox get a huge chunk of the $, or does Johnny David get an equal amount? how would you even figure out individual value, were you to try? a scholarship is enough.
typically they say basketball takes care of its self and football takes care of everything else. when I attended UK ,2002-2010 (undergrad and grad), many sporting events were free for students to attended, soccer comes to mind. if UK sales a jersey with a #0 on it with no name then the player currently wearing that number shouldn't get any money off of it but the fact that the NCAA can sale replica games jersey with a kids last name on it and pay them absolutely nothing is just kinda wrong.

Something being difficult is no reason not to do what's right.

Just have the university publicize the revenue numbers for each sport, divide the "profits" among the number of athletes on scholarship, and then let each athlete profit from anything using their own likeness.

I can't imagine archery or swimming being upset, because they don't generate the revenue. If their likeness isn't marketable, then they make no money from it.

This idea that everything has to be equal and therefore wouldn't work is already proven false by the current system, unless you think the archery team is living somewhere like Wildcat Lodge with private chefs and flying on private jets.

Something being difficult is no reason not to do what's right.

Just have the university publicize the revenue numbers for each sport, divide the "profits" among the number of athletes on scholarship, and then let each athlete profit from anything using their own likeness.

I can't imagine archery or swimming being upset, because they don't generate the revenue. If their likeness isn't marketable, then they make no money from it.

This idea that everything has to be equal and therefore wouldn't work is already proven false by the current system, unless you think the archery team is living somewhere like Wildcat Lodge with private chefs and flying on private jets.

The problem is Gonzo, the ways you suggest won't be the way they do it. It'll be done in the most idiotic way with the most idiotic rules with the biggest idiots deciding. Then once the rabbit hole is opened the idiots will chip away until the sport itself is devistated. I have no faith in any of it.

The problem is Gonzo, the ways you suggest won't be the way they do it. It'll be done in the most idiotic way with the most idiotic rules with the biggest idiots deciding. Then once the rabbit hole is opened the idiots will chip away until the sport itself is devistated. I have no faith in any of it.

Absolutely a possibility.

But I also don't think it can hold on the way it's going either. Especially if the UNC stuff isn't properly punished or the NBA doesn't adjust the OAD rule and the D-League becomes a more competitive salary option.

Lots of stuff in play. Lots of potential for players to unionize or seek other options. And the NCAA is not only handling it poorly from a legislative standpoint, but they're making a complete mess of the PR side of things too. Something has to budge. We'll see.

Reactions: morgousky
except for some of these guys playing the game, it's all the difference in the world for their families. Eric Bledsoe and his mother were sleeping in a car because they couldn't afford rent. Skal and his family lived in pretty abject poverty. I understand that Diallo's family situation is pretty dire?
It IS just a game for most of us, I agree, but for some it's their lives.
I came from Appalachia and have plenty of poverty stories,but those people either worked their way through an education or worked their way out of poverty,never got a handout for playing a game .

I came from Appalachia and have plenty of poverty stories,but those people either worked their way through an education or worked their way out of poverty,never got a handout for playing a game .

Didn't realize constant training, dieting, and full dedication to your profession equaled a handout.

This is one of the dumbest posts ever...and that's saying something.

Kentucky already pays him.......I found that out by reading the Louisville boards.
if they are putting an add out "Paying players to come practice, NO GAMES REQUIRED AND YOU WILL MOVE UP TO NBA STATUS IMMEDIATELY! YOU WILL BE PAID A HIGHLY COMPEDITIVE RATE 10X THE NATIONAL AVERAGE WITH OPTIONS FOR BONUSES APPLY NOW!"

Im applying.

This gets really old. All players should be allowed to declare whenever they want, but those aren't the current rules. If free everything to go to college, and the perfect platform to propel your career isn't enough, then quit whining and sign a contract to play in China, or Turkey. Just quit whining. Learn what your likeness and jersey are worth then.

No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
No "stipend" a university could/would pay can compete with the potential Millions they can earn.
And if a school like UK/UNC/Duke/KU that could afford to pay more and did pay more than other schools could afford, that would totally screw the competitive balance in college sports.

The problem is 2-fold.
1) The NBA OAD rule needs to change to something similar to MLB's "0 or 3 rule", where you can be drafted out of HS & go play in Minors then, but if you go to college then you must be there 3 years. Some don't need to go to college, or want to, so why make them (go for just 1 yr)!

2) The NCAA needs to allow players who didn't receive any benefits (i.e.from an agent) to return to school if they weren't drafted, or simply don't like where they were drafted. So for example if Bam falls to #30, he could decide he would come back for a change to go #10 next year. AND, a player should also be allowed to return even if he received benefits, IF he paid them back. So if an agent buys you a plane ticket for a workout with the Lakers, you then have to pay him back if you return.

The threat of #2 above, might be enough incentive for the NBA to change #1. Because NBA teams (especially playoff teams picking in the later half of the 1st round) don't want the risk of drafting players and not get to sign the players.

Though I believe college players should be paid, I don't think this is a great example of why they should be.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT