ADVERTISEMENT

Denzil Ware Transferring

Lack of player development is killing this staff and will destroy the only thing this staff does well - recruit. Ware feels it’s better for his future to transfer, with all of the PT he’s gotten and will get, and go to a new school, learn a new scheme and still end up better off.

Makes no sense unless he has no faith in this program.
He’s not going to end up better off. He got some bad advice from someone - likely whomever has a vested interest in him transferring to his new destination

Reactions: PowerofPelphrey
Lack of player development is killing this staff and will destroy the only thing this staff does well - recruit. Ware feels it’s better for his future to transfer, with all of the PT he’s gotten and will get, and go to a new school, learn a new scheme and still end up better off.

Makes no sense unless he has no faith in this program.

Actually it could make sense we have 3 or 4 other very talented guys that can play that spot and as a senior returning starter you figure he was the favored to start there, but I think it is quite possible he was being pushed very hard by one or more of the guys behind him and he could possible have been losing his sport or at least a lot of PT. I think we'll hear more in the next few days.

Look man...you can sugar coat this all you want. Losing Denzel makes us less talented team next year on a squad that was simply below mediocre defense last year. And for a defensive minded head coach...it just looks even worse that we lose a 3 year starter going into his SR year.

Maybe something will come of this like Denzel broke some serious rules that forced him out...nobody knows. But if this is another Badet situation where a multi year starter basically says..'Screw... #Why not us' and bails for a bigger program. That just looks bad. And none of our schools on par with UK (UL, Miss St, USC, Vandy, etc...) have this happening to their rosters.

Hey, I said it was terrible, just like you.

He’s not going to end up better off. He got some bad advice from someone - likely whomever has a vested interest in him transferring to his new destination

Ware has a good chance to be playing for Alabama next year if we don't put any restrictions on his release. That's not better off?

I was looking for Ware to have a monster season as he gets ready for the NFL draft next year. In addition to teaming with Allen getting after the QB. We might be able to make up his absence with different players, but we will miss his experience. Who knows what went on that led him to transfer, may it be successful for him.

If our entire season comes crashing down because of the loss of one defensive end we were going to suck anyway.

It's a loss, but if this is as huge a tragedy as some are playing up we have a whoooooole lot worse issues.

Reactions: Nuke99m
Ware has a good chance to be playing for Alabama next year if we don't put any restrictions on his release. That's not better off?
I have a hard time envisioning Ware getting a lot of playing time for Alabama. He's good, but he's not necessarily going to jump the considerable talent that is already playing for Alabama.

Reactions: Blueaz
Actually it could make sense we have 3 or 4 other very talented guys that can play that spot and as a senior returning starter you figure he was the favored to start there, but I think it is quite possible he was being pushed very hard by one or more of the guys behind him and he could possible have been losing his sport or at least a lot of PT. I think we'll hear more in the next few days.

Possibly but it doesn’t make sense. He’s been a consistent performer and is poised for a great year. This isn’t Bama - guys like Ware get plenty of PT.

Something isn’t adding up but I do understand the lack of faith in this staff and the thought of playing in a garbage D, yet another year, pushing him away.

Reactions: seccats04
This sucks, but it could have been worse. What if it had been Josh Allen or Josh Paschal? That would be a lot worse.

Again - it takes 2 to tango. No one is forcing this grown a$$ mans hand. If this staff doesn’t have his faith with as much PT as he’s been given and the setup he has to a great year then the problem is within.

I see it. The defense is horrid and has been for all but one of Stoops 6 seasons.

As a grad transfer I am not sure what limitations you can put on where he goes. I doubt Bama would be his destination, he would be behind quite a bit of talent he may not be able to pass and see the field. Now UT is a different story, they been after grad transfers since Pruitt arrived and he fits the basic system. Don't be shocked they are in the conversation.

Until the NCAA stops this it will continue to happen to schools like Kentucky.

If you can transfer and play right away at a team that looks like it could win a championship why wouldn't you?

Oh, I don't know, maybe you had formed some bonds and wanted to play with the teammates that came this far with you? I don't think he is transferring to Bama or Georgia. I thought all the draft prospects came back because they liked it here and wanted to do bigger and better things here.

What the heck.. unexpected as hell. So much for the blitz brothers.
More like splitz brother now. A swift kick in the plums. Just when I thought our D-Line could be a strength for a change, this happens. I can’t hold it against the kid but damn....... we’re not a program that can absorb losses like this. If somebody goes down this year, we’re in real trouble. When will we ever be able to take that next step???

As a grad transfer I am not sure what limitations you can put on where he goes. I doubt Bama would be his destination, he would be behind quite a bit of talent he may not be able to pass and see the field. Now UT is a different story, they been after grad transfers since Pruitt arrived and he fits the basic system. Don't be shocked they are in the conversation.

Gawd, that would be disgusting.

Losing one of the best players off of an already below average defense is a huge blow no matter how some may try to spin it. I've seen nothing from Kengera Daniel that tells me he can produce on the same level that Ware can. No disrespect intended, but that's just how it is.

IMO the front 7 needed to improve next year for our defense to take a step up, and unfortunately losing Ware means that our front 7 just got quite a bit worse.

Losing one of the best players off of an already below average defense is a huge blow no matter how some may try to spin it. I've seen nothing from Kengera Daniel that tells me he can produce on the same level that Ware can. No disrespect intended, but that's just how it is.

IMO the front 7 needed to improve next year for our defense to take a step up, and unfortunately losing Ware means that our front 7 just got quite a bit worse.

His loss hurts I would guess, we don't know the full story, but I think we still improve because of several other players maturing and improving.

Reactions: uofkFTW18
His loss hurts I would guess, we don't know the full story, but I think we still improve because of several other players maturing and improving.
I will agree that we could definitely improve at other positions next year. Just hope this loss doesn't offset that too much. Either way, next man up.

Any hints on what went on with Ware and the coaching staff?

It is amazing that in year 6 of Coach Stoops' UK program, a Senior, future NFL draft pick decides to leave the program. Considering Coach Stoops has placed numerous players in the NFL while being an assistant coach at other schools, Denzil leaving has to have MORE to the story.

It’s very simple as to why he had to leave, but that’s protected info. Can’t comment as to why but we heard about it Sunday morning in a roundabout meeting during breakfast. That’s all I can say but it will get out I’m sure. JR knows :cheers2:

Reactions: catben
If you play for UK your not going to get drafted. Mark Stoops can't get you drafted, and his staff is awful.

His last shot and he needs to go somewhere where you can play for the NFL.

Quite possible being pushed is completely wrong :beer:

Grumpy, UT was the first school that crossed my mind when this news broke today. It is no secret that Pruitt is scanning all P-5 rosters looking for help for that mess of a roster that he inherited. Knowing UT, they are doing more than just looking. I feel sure there are contacts being made through channels behind the scenes. Probably agents involved in the available “transfers”. Going to get interesting if he ends up at UT or Bama.

Grumpy, UT was the first school that crossed my mind when this news broke today. It is no secret that Pruitt is scanning all P-5 rosters looking for help for that mess of a roster that he inherited. Knowing UT, they are doing more than just looking. I feel sure there are contacts being made through channels behind the scenes. Probably agents involved in the available “transfers”. Going to get interesting if he ends up at UT or Bama.

Apparently UT is going back to the UT pre 2000. Fulmer was a know cheater who got a pardon for turning Bama in on Albert Means. He is as dirty as anyone in college sports. He went behind Johnny Majors back when Majors was out sick and campaigned for the job while telling Majors to get well that he would keep things going as interim coach. Not long after Majors was fired and Fulmer became head coach. Last summer he was given some BS title by UT. During the coaching search, there was a leak of info coming out of the athletic department, it was Fulmer, the AD was fired and Fulmer inserted himself. Next week he may be named chancellor seeing how they fired one yesterday.

But you are right, UT has already brought in 5-6 grad transfers, if they can make room 1 more won't make any difference.

But what will be exciting is when Fulmer starts telling Pruitt how to run the program. Pruitt is as Bama red neck as they come, he won't have any issues about slapping the slobber out of an old man's mouth. Of course Pruitt has to survive the Vol tour, Pruitt, alcohol and big booster's wives could be trouble. Alcohol isn't really necessary for that, Rush Propst is who he models himself after. The only plus side is UT will have to be a little more careful and not spend on players Bama is after, see what happened to OM and they been waiting nearly 30 years to repay UT.

Trash can man. He was one of the two many of us were questioning what Stoops would require to rehab that image.

Yep. Stoops told us months ago we'd lose some of those guys. He must've known then.

It's a hit to depth more than anything. We have players at least as talented, probably moreso. Just not with his experience.

Do other schools have this issue?

Seems like if these guys were happy they wouldn’t want to leave.

If you play for UK your not going to get drafted. Mark Stoops can't get you drafted, and his staff is awful.

His last shot and he needs to go somewhere where you can play for the NFL.

JRoland seems to have a different opinion than you.

https://kentucky.rivals.com/news/uk-should-be-well-represented-in-draft-talk-a-year-from-now

Personally I think he knows more about the program than you probably do, "Big Cat fan".

And if he does get drafted MOST of his development from a 5.6 was done by this staff at UK. Just sounds like a dumb move on his part, IF it was all by his choice. Badet, with a Heisman winning QB and in his FIFTH year AVERAGED more yards and TDs his first THREE years at UK than he did as a FIFTH year senior at Oklahoma.

The grass is not always greener.

Last edited:
Do other schools have this issue?

Seems like if these guys were happy they wouldn’t want to leave.

UGA has lost 5 this off season. Eason the QB who everyone has heard about, 2 OL who were passed by multiple younger OL, an OL who had concussion issues went on medical hardship and a DB who decided going to class didn't fit into his schedule. 3 transferred, 1 career is over and the 5th I have no idea what he is going to do. None are grad transfers, can't remember us having one of those but I am sure we have had them.

Reactions: EKCAT4YRS
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT