ADVERTISEMENT

Denzil Ware Transferring

This makes me wonder two things: 1) Why didn't he just enter the draft? 2) Is this a reflection of some locker room dysfunction?

If he's planning to play CFB this fall, how could a member of the Kentucky Wildcats football family leave his brothers to play his last year somewhere else?

There was some credible, if mistaken as it turned out, rationale for Badet's decision. Heaven help me if I can think of any good reason (for UK or for Ware) for this decision.

Just seems like a really dumb time to change to a new scheme with new coaches and new teammates in a new venue. Can't see it working out well for him at all.

I was just thinking the same thing about Badet. OU lost a lot of WRs and had a young corps. They had a Heisman front runner at QB in a high powered offense. I could understand Badet going to make a mark before the draft, even if now it looks like it may have back-fired.

Where does Ware go so that it makes sense for his future? Z and Bud made marks on average UK teams. How does Ware improve his lot?

Until the NCAA stops this it will continue to happen to schools like Kentucky.

If you can transfer and play right away at a team that looks like it could win a championship why wouldn't you?

Reactions: FtCampbellCat
Awful news...

1. Even if Kenegra is coming on...there is plenty of snaps for them all and Kenegra hasn't done anything much in 3 years...I'd be pretty surprised if he's as productive in pass rush as Ware has been the past 2 years.
2. Terrible look to defensive guru in Stoops as well as experience to be the rebound we need to get past current 7 win hurdle.

We missed Badet last year no matter how much many tried to pretend we were fine w/o him. We'll miss Ware's production much the same IMO.

Does the NFL still do the supplemental draft? Any chance this is actually what he's planning?

I think they only have a supplemental draft if they have one or more players in mind that for compelling reasons could not be in the regular draft. I'm pretty sure that's what happened with Jeromy Jarmon because he found out that he lost his senor eligibility after the draft so they had a supplemental one just for him.

I’d have to think there is a, rest of the story, going on here. Makes no sense.

I can only assume he will transfer out of the conference. The destination school might offer some clues.

If it is a school with a big name and prospects for a big year--it could be he just wants to have an opportunity to win on a big stage, and he doesn't see the switch in coaching staff or the new-school on-field competition as hurting his chances in the draft next year. If a school like FSU, OU, Penn St, or USC (west) is his next stop, the reasoning is at least understandable for Ware and certainly unfortunate for UK and those of us in the BBN.

BUT, if it is another up-&-coming school--that is more troublesome. That could indicate he has only a little faith in the UK coaching staff that he will be better-prepared for the nfl draft with another year under the same crew. If he is leaving a starting spot on the SEC stage to take a lateral move to schools like NCSU, Texas Tech, Arizona St, Maryland etc-- that will be a bitter pill.

GBB!

Reactions: catben
BUT, if it is another up-&-coming school--that is more troublesome. That could indicate he has only a little faith in the UK coaching staff ...

...or vice versa.

Kengera Daniel by all reports was playing well in the spring and I lamented that it was a shame he would end his career playing behind another Senior. Now he won't. At that spot we still have
Kengera Daniel
Jordan Wright
Chris Whittaker
and has been previously mentioned Boogie can swing over there if needed

Not saying this isn't a blow but it doesn't appear to be catastrophic.

Well, this is unfortunate. I’ve been hopeful about the defense making strides towards respectability this year ... but realistically we fielded one of the worst defenses in college football in 2017 (97th nationally in S&P+).

Next man up and all, but lot is going to have to go right for us to even be average defensively.

I think they only have a supplemental draft if they have one or more players in mind that for compelling reasons could not be in the regular draft. I'm pretty sure that's what happened with Jeromy Jarmon because he found out that he lost his senor eligibility after the draft so they had a supplemental one just for him.

Interesting, thanks for the info. That's the only time I remember hearing about a supplemental draft so that makes sense.

I would be surprised if Jordan Jones is completely healthy at the start of the season. So we are down Brown, Ware and possibly JJ before the season even starts. I've come to expect this nonsense from UK football. It is what it is.

Reactions: 1_Cool_CAT
There’s a rest of the story alright :beer:

Any hints on what went on with Ware and the coaching staff?

It is amazing that in year 6 of Coach Stoops' UK program, a Senior, future NFL draft pick decides to leave the program. Considering Coach Stoops has placed numerous players in the NFL while being an assistant coach at other schools, Denzil leaving has to have MORE to the story.

Awful news...

1. Even if Kenegra is coming on...there is plenty of snaps for them all and Kenegra hasn't done anything much in 3 years...I'd be pretty surprised if he's as productive in pass rush as Ware has been the past 2 years.
2. Terrible look to defensive guru in Stoops as well as experience to be the rebound we need to get past current 7 win hurdle.

We missed Badet last year no matter how much many tried to pretend we were fine w/o him. We'll miss Ware's production much the same IMO.

Oh yeah. Terrible look. Terrible. Especially if he goes to a traditional power like Badet. Tur-bul.

Reactions: PowerofPelphrey
Lack of player development is killing this staff and will destroy the only thing this staff does well - recruit. Ware feels it’s better for his future to transfer, with all of the PT he’s gotten and will get, and go to a new school, learn a new scheme and still end up better off.

Makes no sense unless he has no faith in this program.

If it is a school with a big name and prospects for a big year--it could be he just wants to have an opportunity to win on a big stage

Ware was a nice player, he was primarily effective on the pass rush but not particular strong against the run IMO. I would be shocked if he were to transfer to any "big stage" and walze in and start from day one. Like I say, nice player but those places are usually stocked with guys as good and better.

It is amazing that in year 6 of Coach Stoops' UK program, a Senior, future NFL draft pick decides to leave the program.

Ware projected as possibly a late round pick but I think his draft potential is 50/50 at best. Like I said above he's a nice player and I'm sorry we are losing him but I think some may be way over-reacting to the magnitude of the loss. We have a lot of talent at that position and will be fine.

Lack of player development is killing this staff and will destroy the only thing this staff does well - recruit. Ware feels it’s better for his future to transfer, with all of the PT he’s gotten and will get, and go to a new school, learn a new scheme and still end up better off.

Makes no sense unless he has no faith in this program.

Yeah, they recruited 5 star Allen and he is being considered a first round pick next year. 5 star Benny Snell looks like a future NFLer. 5 star Q Bohanna has people excited. 5 star Toth excelled. Only I f they could develop lower ranked players.

And Ron, you like to say how others feel. I think you feel ignored. So, this post is for you, good buddy. Keep your chin up. You’re gonna get it right. And, that will be a big day. Maybe a day to celebrate at Golden Corral!!! It’s coming. I can feel it.

Oh yeah. Terrible look. Terrible. Especially if he goes to a traditional power like Badet. Tur-bul.
Look man...you can sugar coat this all you want. Losing Denzel makes us less talented team next year on a squad that was simply below mediocre defense last year. And for a defensive minded head coach...it just looks even worse that we lose a 3 year starter going into his SR year.

Maybe something will come of this like Denzel broke some serious rules that forced him out...nobody knows. But if this is another Badet situation where a multi year starter basically says..'Screw... #Why not us' and bails for a bigger program. That just looks bad. And none of our schools on par with UK (UL, Miss St, USC, Vandy, etc...) have this happening to their rosters.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT