ADVERTISEMENT

Denzil Ware Transferring

Look man...you can sugar coat this all you want. Losing Denzel makes us less talented team next year on a squad that was simply below mediocre defense last year. And for a defensive minded head coach...it just looks even worse that we lose a 3 year starter going into his SR year.

Maybe something will come of this like Denzel broke some serious rules that forced him out...nobody knows. But if this is another Badet situation where a multi year starter basically says..'Screw... #Why not us' and bails for a bigger program. That just looks bad. And none of our schools on par with UK (UL, Miss St, USC, Vandy, etc...) have this happening to their rosters.

I liked Ware a lot... but Boogie Watson is better.

Reactions: Longtrip
Don't believe it was a case of Denzil just deciding he wanted something better.

It really doesn't make much sense, if he thought he wasn't getting trained right here (and he came in as a 5.6) then he should have just joined the draft, he would have gotten paid AND could devote full time to working out and getting trained by experts, and against the best competition. Also funny that it seems like he isn't sure where he is going.

Anxious to hear the rest of the story. Ware had a chance to be a major player on the big SEC stage this fall. With experience in our system, I cannot imagine any team or circumstance that would afford to him a better opportunity to showcase his NFL=caliber skills. That’s why I’ll be surprised if that’s all this is about. Got to be more to it.
What we consider great talent at Ky. is simply being pushed out by even better talent. In the progression of building a better team this is not a bad thing.

UGA has lost 5 this off season. Eason the QB who everyone has heard about, 2 OL who were passed by multiple younger OL, an OL who had concussion issues went on medical hardship and a DB who decided going to class didn't fit into his schedule. 3 transferred, 1 career is over and the 5th I have no idea what he is going to do. None are grad transfers, can't remember us having one of those but I am sure we have had them.
I think we're on about transfer #8. There's so many it's hard to keep up with. J. Richardson, Koback, Cross, Ware, Gilliam, Bannerman, Bonner, Beckham. I know every program has them but it seems like we have more than usual. And who else besides UK football would lose a 3 year starter, who is an NFL prospect? Very frustrating. And now we can't sign a decent player from the state. These guys see the writing on the wall.

I think we're on about transfer #8. There's so many it's hard to keep up with. J. Richardson, Koback, Cross, Ware, Gilliam, Bannerman, Bonner, Beckham. I know every program has them but it seems like we have more than usual. And who else besides UK football would lose a 3 year starter, who is an NFL prospect? Very frustrating. And now we can't sign a decent player from the state. These guys see the writing on the wall.

That's a strange deal for sure. I don't know anything about Ware or why he would want to do something like this. But a returning multi year starter who is penciled in as the starter his sr year seldom transfers. Maybe one of the younger guys was about to take his spot, which would have really hurt his draft status I think. But wouldn't surprise me if UT has been in contact. They can't recruit playing by the rules, so they will play outside of them. If that happened I hope Stoops reports them, Fulmer's deal has to have run out by now.

Guys..let's not start conflating kids passed up on depth chart that transfer or leave early on before even playing vs. Ware situation. THis is nothing like the Bannerman, Koback, Gilliam, Drew Barker or even Towles situations.

We're talking about a 3 year starter, 14 sacks in career and was primed to be a top 10 all time sack leader at UK. This move has to either be about a behavior issue or Ware is getting an offer to play at a better program. Either way is not ideal....I'm hoping it was a behavior issue and Stoops stood his ground on things. But regardless...pretty big blow to front 7 no matter how you slice it.

Goodbye Denzel, Hello Boogie, Ware didn't play in the MC Bowl game, and we could have won the game at the end. Boogie or someone else will hopefully step up.

Guys..let's not start conflating kids passed up on depth chart that transfer or leave early on before even playing vs. Ware situation. THis is nothing like the Bannerman, Koback, Gilliam, Drew Barker or even Towles situations.

We're talking about a 3 year starter, 14 sacks in career and was primed to be a top 10 all time sack leader at UK. This move has to either be about a behavior issue or Ware is getting an offer to play at a better program. Either way is not ideal....I'm hoping it was a behavior issue and Stoops stood his ground on things. But regardless...pretty big blow to front 7 no matter how you slice it.
True and it shatters depth. Now someone who may not be up to the task is going to have to play more minutes. Fatigue and increased chance of injury now enters the situation. In the SEC depth many times is the difference in 5-6 wins and 8-9 wins.

Reactions: qwesley
Was it Fla. State Denzil flipped from when he committed to CATS?
Gut feeling but I'm not totally surprised. I know Badet was not a happy camper with teammates.

When you cheer for a kid in the good times and support him as a fan through tough times, and hope the best for his career, it hurts to see him walk away from what he helped to build to go help some other team. Fans want to be part of the journey and want to see players reach their dreams. So, it can be hard when a player thinks some other place and fans will be better for him. With DWare, this past year has been tough. His season was probably not as good as he wanted, or we wanted, and it ended badly. It seeemd, however, as if he had grown past his troubles.

That said, I don’t recall many interviews or podium appearances that involved him this spring.

Now that the initial shock has worn off, I wish him the best and thank him for the effort he brought and the wins he helped to secure. I thank him for choosing UK and congratulate him on his degree. He has earned the right to make this decision and I hope it works out well for him and my Cats.

Wasn't there another UK DL that transferred out of the blue a few years ago right before the season and nobody knew why at the time?

Just might be an attitude problem, and being suspended from the Bowl game took him over the edge. Thinking back how Boom didn't want to play in a game and maybe thought he deserve better too. Maybe they'll end up on the same team.

People don't want to hear this, but bye,,, I wish the kid well, but if he doesn't want to be here then so be it. It will hurt on the field, you cannot deny that but sometimes attrition is good and I will be honest, and people can be upset at me all they want, but after I saw Ware pick up a trash can and throw it, on national television and then get suspended for whatever reason in the bowl game, it told me all I needed to know about Ware. I appreciate everything he has done for us and all he gave, but he seems a lot like Jordan Jones when it comes to attitude so good luck, but next man up and if UK ever wants to get to a spot they want to be competitive year in and year out, they have to be able to absorb hits like this

Just a few bad apples. Lot of people wanted Stoops to be more of a discipline coach and actually rules.

It is honestly possible that he thought/knew Boogie was going to take some of his playing time. Boogie is a lot better than we talk about. But until we hear that it was something internal, I am going to believe that Boogie was going to take some of his PT. An SEC senior DE/LB wouldn't leave their guaranteed starting position. Scouts love SEC defensive players. Jeff Badet left to play under the Heisman winner and a much better QB. Ware can't get much better than starting on an SEC defense. Boogie had that nice goal line stop vs SC, so I am ready to see what he can do with more PT. Wish Ware the best, but next man up.

Was it Fla. State Denzil flipped from when he committed to CATS?
Gut feeling but I'm not totally surprised. I know Badet was not a happy camper with teammates.
I believe you're correct. I vaguely recall some chatter that he would have flipped to the Noles but he wasn't a take for them at the time.

I was just reminded reading on another site that Ware's former roommate was....Jeff Badet.
Wouldn't surprise me if these young men had conversations about getting another look at a different place.

Anyone know how Oklahoma is staffed at DE??

Don't know how you would know that but he committed to Vandy in HS so he has some smarts. If that was the case, that is disappointing.

Just from a former college coach that I’m friends with. Yes very disappointing.

Losing one of the best players off of an already below average defense is a huge blow no matter how some may try to spin it. I've seen nothing from Kengera Daniel that tells me he can produce on the same level that Ware can. No disrespect intended, but that's just how it is.

IMO the front 7 needed to improve next year for our defense to take a step up, and unfortunately losing Ware means that our front 7 just got quite a bit worse.

According to some - nothing here to see. We’re just getting started, bro!

Reactions: seccats04
Just another example of the weirdness that is UK football.Even when things appear to go our way they don't. I have come to believe that whoever is coaching here will forever fight an uphill battle against Karma. Yes I know that sounds crazy but I have been along for the ride for over 50 years and could list countless examples of crap that wouldn't happen anywhere else.It is truly amazing.

yea and according to others Denzel Ware = Von Miller
To UK...Denzil Ware is a bigtime pass rusher. I hate when we talk down the abilities of good UK players due to some warts they may have had.

1. UK missed Boom Williams bigtime and his career 6.6 yards per carry...but heard from a ton on this board he was overrated, dinged up, not great receiver, etc... But for UK he was a tremendous weapon regardless of his NFL career to date.
2. UK miss Jeff Badet....the same QB couldn't hit a deep pass to save his life last year but hit a pretty good rate the year before. But many on here minimize Badet's hands and locker room cancer.

Now the same thing happening to Denzil Ware. I'll bet Boogie/Kenegra don't get 7 sacks which is about what Ware gave UK the past 2 years.

To UK...Denzil Ware is a bigtime pass rusher. I hate when we talk down the abilities of good UK players due to some warts they may have had.

1. UK missed Boom Williams bigtime and his career 6.6 yards per carry...but heard from a ton on this board he was overrated, dinged up, not great receiver, etc... But for UK he was a tremendous weapon regardless of his NFL career to date.
2. UK miss Jeff Badet....the same QB couldn't hit a deep pass to save his life last year but hit a pretty good rate the year before. But many on here minimize Badet's hands and locker room cancer.

Now the same thing happening to Denzil Ware. I'll bet Boogie/Kenegra don't get 7 sacks which is about what Ware gave UK the past 2 years.
Agree,just about anyone who is good enough to start for us or play major minutes brings something to the team and is someone who will be missed if they leave.We need every break and able body we have or can get if we are going to take any next step up the college football food chain.

Reactions: CB3UK
Just another example of the weirdness that is UK football.Even when things appear to go our way they don't. I have come to believe that whoever is coaching here will forever fight an uphill battle against Karma. Yes I know that sounds crazy but I have been along for the ride for over 50 years and could list countless examples of crap that wouldn't happen anywhere else.It is truly amazing.
It does not sound crazy to those of us who have been on that 50 year ride with you.

Peace

I actually think Boogie will equal ware production. He's faster and has great bend. Ware was a solid productive player but he was mediocre to bad against the run and 6 sacks is not unattainable for an edge rusher like Boogie.

I don't think eight in four years is that high at all--------as Grumpy mentioned Georgia has had five this year, and maybe you should check Bama's record for dropouts-------about to lose the SEC's MVP on offense according to speculation, is our 5.6 a big a loss as their five star?

Maybe it is a sign of progress to some extent, certainly you don't want to lose a veteran starter like this but we have four stars ready to step into the gap. Before Stoops we didn't have many four star starters at the 22 positions, only TWO four stars that even played much from 2010 until Stoops took over and most of the time the TWO four stars on the roster didn't even start.

Last edited:
I don't think eight in four years is that high at all--------as Grumpy mentioned Georgia has had five this year, and maybe you should check Bama's record for dropouts-------about to lose the SEC's MVP on offense according to speculation, is our 5.6 a big a loss as their five star?

Maybe it is a sign of progress to some extent, certainly you don't want to lose a veteran starter like this but we have four stars ready to step into the gap. Before Stoops we didn't have many four star starters at the 22 positions, only TWO four stars that even played much from 2010 until Stoops took over.
8 this year. That’s about average for Stoops.

Maybe it is a sign of progress to some extent, certainly you don't want to lose a veteran starter like this but we have four stars ready to step into the gap. Before Stoops we didn't have many four star starters at the 22 positions, only TWO four stars that even played much from 2010 until Stoops took over.
UGA and Bama can afford to lose people and never bat an eye,we can't at this point,we have to get all we can out of people who have something to give.Down the road(a long way down that road)maybe we can but not any time soon

Reactions: RonEJones
Anxious to hear the rest of the story. Ware had a chance to be a major player on the big SEC stage this fall. With experience in our system, I cannot imagine any team or circumstance that would afford to him a better opportunity to showcase his NFL=caliber skills. That’s why I’ll be surprised if that’s all this is about. Got to be more to it.

The rest of the story is these guys see how Stoops never puts anyone in the nfl and they realize they are good enough to play at other programs and get better exposure.... You really can't blame Ware or Badet.... taking advantage of the transfer rules.

I was not happy to see Badet transfer. However, I understand how he could feel that his skill set was being underutilized at UK and that, in advance of the transfer, OU appeared to offer an excellent opportunity. In retrospect, not so much.

I don't feel the same ambivalence with Ware. He played a lot. He was a featured defensive player in our scheme. His departure for "greener pastures" cannot be rationalized.

Not because I will personally harbor ill will toward him, but because I want future UK football players to witness the inherent risk of following this path, I wish to see his draft stock fall as a consequence of going to a scheme/team that will provide a lesser platform for his skill set. Unless there is "more to this story," this will likely turn out to be a reckless, ill-advised (would love to know who was advising) decision.

How many weeks of practice will he have to prepare for the first game in September at whatever school he will be playing for?

It's easy to rationalize; Stoops hasn't shown any skill so far at player development. He wants to get better and make the NFL. It's called dollar signs $$$$$$

The rest of the story is these guys see how Stoops never puts anyone in the nfl and they realize they are good enough to play at other programs and get better exposure.... You really can't blame Ware or Badet.... taking advantage of the transfer rules.

Seems pretty obvious that Badet would have been better off staying at UK, he AVERAGED more yardage and TDs his three "learning" years at UK than he did as a fifth year senior with a Heisman winning QB. The same is probably going to be true with Ware, THIS staff took him from a 5.6 recruit to an almost certain draft pick, not sure where he will go from here. And not sure leaving was totally up to him, he doesn't seem to even know where he is going yet, maybe he made his decision in a fit of anger.

Reactions: shutzhund
giphy.gif

ADVERTISEMENT