ADVERTISEMENT

Denzil Ware Transferring

Did NOT see that coming. Thankfully, we have good depth there but this is a big blow. Anybody have a clue what happened or why he’s leaving?
He graduated and is eligible to transfer and play right away just like Badet did last year. I'm guessing he thinks he can land somewhere and be the spot light DE. Just a guess though. Who knows maybe he never got over the trash can incident.

Reactions: billoliver40
Didn't he have some kind of "Uh-oh" last year? Could be related. Still, it's a hell of a hit and kills depth.

He graduated and is eligible to transfer and play right away just like Badet did last year. I'm guessing he thinks he can land somewhere and be the spot light DE. Just a guess though. Who knows maybe he never got over the trash can incident.
Both solid possibilities. I did not realize he had graduated. Hate it, but hard to begrudge a kid who actually did the work to get a degree. Back to looking at the Jucos, I suppose.

Anxious to hear the rest of the story. Ware had a chance to be a major player on the big SEC stage this fall. With experience in our system, I cannot imagine any team or circumstance that would afford to him a better opportunity to showcase his NFL=caliber skills. That’s why I’ll be surprised if that’s all this is about. Got to be more to it.

Forgot who, but didn't someone post fairly deep in another thread he had "heard someone wasn't coming back"? Despite requests, as I recall there was no indication of who it might be and the thread slid down the list. Was this it? o_O

Peace

Is it compliant with NCAA rules for another school to actively recruit a player who will qualify as a graduate transfer in the near future? I’m doubting that it is. It’ll be interesting to find out where he is headed

Coaching staff had to know this was coming. Paschal’s projected position change was likely a tell.

Forgot who, but didn't someone post fairly deep in another thread he had "heard someone wasn't coming back"? Despite requests, as I recall there was no indication of who it might be and the thread slid down the list. Was this it? o_O

Peace
First thing I thought of also..

Reactions: 1_Cool_CAT
This makes me wonder two things: 1) Why didn't he just enter the draft? 2) Is this a reflection of some locker room dysfunction?

If he's planning to play CFB this fall, how could a member of the Kentucky Wildcats football family leave his brothers to play his last year somewhere else?

There was some credible, if mistaken as it turned out, rationale for Badet's decision. Heaven help me if I can think of any good reason (for UK or for Ware) for this decision.

Just seems like a really dumb time to change to a new scheme with new coaches and new teammates in a new venue. Can't see it working out well for him at all.

I guess we would need to ask coach Marrow about that.
I suppose I need to be more clear.

Obviously, after a player has announced his intention to transfer, coaches may contact him and actively recruit a player.

My question is this: "Is there any NCAA prohibition against coaches scanning the rosters of other teams for potential graduate transfers and initiating the conversation about graduating and transferring to a new school prior to the player announcing plans to transfer?"

I was not happy to see Badet transfer. However, I understand how he could feel that his skill set was being underutilized at UK and that, in advance of the transfer, OU appeared to offer an excellent opportunity. In retrospect, not so much.

I don't feel the same ambivalence with Ware. He played a lot. He was a featured defensive player in our scheme. His departure for "greener pastures" cannot be rationalized.

Not because I will personally harbor ill will toward him, but because I want future UK football players to witness the inherent risk of following this path, I wish to see his draft stock fall as a consequence of going to a scheme/team that will provide a lesser platform for his skill set. Unless there is "more to this story," this will likely turn out to be a reckless, ill-advised (would love to know who was advising) decision.

How many weeks of practice will he have to prepare for the first game in September at whatever school he will be playing for?

Last edited:
UK Spring graduation is coming up and he probably just got word that he's good to graduate. I wouldn't be surprised if the coaches knew nothing about this. They apparently knew nothing about Eli Brown wanting to leave either. Maybe EJ Price is not as crazy as people say he is. Tired of all these transfers. We will never win jack squat losing all of our experienced depth every damn year. We must average 10-15 transfers every year. It's crazy.

Eli was having trouble staying eligible. That’s a major factor as to why he transferred.
Don't know how you would know that but he committed to Vandy in HS so he has some smarts. If that was the case, that is disappointing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT