ADVERTISEMENT

Delphi, IN Murders

GrandePdre

All-American
Gold Member
Jan 22, 2008
Get me higher than the grocery bill.
Has anyone else been following this case? Two girls, 13 & 14, were dropped off for a few hours at a nature trail last month. One later took a picture of the other on an old railway bridge over a creek and posted it on Instagram. A few hours later, they didn't return and were found murdered along the creek a half mile up from the bridge. One of the girls took a photo of a man walking on the bridge towards them and later recorded a man's voice saying "down the hill" before they were killed. $200,000+ reward so far.

C52LsZAWgAAGNDz.jpg

C5X9DzbWcAAS2BH.jpg

Reactions: Moopyj
I have and saw the reward has doubled. I hope the catch the guy that did this. Having two young daughters of my own, I cannot imagine what the families are going through.

I really haven't seen any new updates. Were the girls sexually assaulted or just killed?

Could you imagine being the guy in the picture and not having one damn thing to do with this double murder? Talk about the wrong place at the wrong time.

So, lemme wrap my head around this. These girls were dropped off at this place, left there unsupervised at an abandoned bridge, and wound up dead from it. This story sucks, but sweet Christ, at what point was it going to occur to these parents of the year candidates that this might have been a bad idea?

Small town middle America Indiana. They've probably not had a murder in that town or county in ages. Place where people don't lock their doors at night, I'm guessing. Until now.

But, yeah. I'm not letting my 13 y.o. daughter walk across an abandoned bridge that is decades old and has a 75-foot drop to the creekbed and no handrails.

One of the interesting things is the guy who owns the property where the girls were found dead sort of looks like the guy in the cell phone photo and sounds a little like the voice in the recording. But he's in his 70s and been on that property 50+ years. Hard to fathom he'd do that and leave them there on his property for the police to find.

Small town middle America Indiana. They've probably not had a murder in that town or county in ages. Place where people don't lock their doors at night, I'm guessing. Until now.

But, yeah. I'm not letting my 13 y.o. daughter walk across an abandoned bridge that is decades old and has a 75-foot drop to the creekbed and no handrails.
That's no excuse. Back in the 50's/60's when Smalltown, USA was basically Mayberry, that would fly. Those places don't exist anymore. I'm from a small town that the biggest crime you gotta worry about is the town drunk peeing in the parking lot of the Piggly Wiggly, and there's no way in hell I would allow my child to do what those did.

They are not going to release the cause of death while they are searching for the killer. Makes sense.

Former Colt Pat MacAfee and the Colt's owner put up the additional $100K reward to make it $200K.

Catch this bastard.

None of that makes sense. I say fake news.

1. Ain't no girls getting dropped off to go exploring like that unless it was a setup. SEE YA IN MANY HOURS! HAVE FUN!

2. They conveniently snapped pics and have w voice recording of some old guy? Don't buy it.

3. Is this a podcast?

4. Liberty German? Not a real name or person. Get real.

Been reading up since seeing this posted, there's a video of the landowner where the bodies were found talking to the media. He has almost the exact same walking pose as the dude in the picture, and he sounds a lot like the voice that they have looped. However, it appears he wasn't even there the day and night the murders happened, and police have cleared him as a suspect.

There's a reddit post where someone used google earth to pinpoint where the pictures were taken and video of the crime scene to reconstruct how the murder happened:

It appears that the man pictured followed them for a while and caught up with them at the end of the bridge. What has me scratching my head is to get to where the bodies were found, they would have had to cross the creek. Being February, that creek has got to be frigid. Unless the killer lived in that area, I don't think they would want to be seen out soaking wet and freezing cold. That would put a light back on the landowner for me.

I've been following it pretty closely. I live about 45 minutes away from where this happened. Pretty crazy story. That guy's picture has been out for weeks. There's no way he hasn't heard about this, so if he had nothing to do with it why not come forward?

Reactions: CatFanInIlliniLand
Well, thank goodness.

Hopefully, per capita statistics will be a big portion of the eulogy.
I never said bad things don't happen, just your point that you can't let your kids be out in public alone anymore is nonsense and has no basis in fact.

Maybe we should go back and re-eulogize the children murdered in the 1950s and tell their loved ones, "That wasn't so bad. Nothing like it is today!"

The picture of the guy doesn't mean it was him either.

Is it possible they had planned to meet some one there without their patents knowledge and disguised it as going on a hike?

I've been following it pretty closely. I live about 45 minutes away from where this happened. Pretty crazy story. That guy's picture has been out for weeks. There's no way he hasn't heard about this, so if he had nothing to do with it why not come forward?

The picture of the girl on the train trussel appears to be later in the day than the picture of the suspect on the trussel, the amount of light looks like the sun is setting in her picture.

Maybe the cops are releasing misleading data hoping the killer thinks he's in the clear, and gets sloppy. Just a thought.

I never said bad things don't happen, just your point that you can't let your kids be out in public alone anymore is nonsense and has no basis in fact.

The only statistical metric supporting "world is just as safe as it ever was!" is per capita statistics. It's a lazy but traditional metric that shows a fraction of the equation...the fraction that says everything is just like it was in 1950.

But I'm sure you're right. You can drop off your free-range tweenagers to do the safety dance just about anywhere these days ("seeya girls, I'll be back in 4-5 hours!") full of confidence that one statistic says they are just as safe as they were in 1950.

And why, exactly, are per capita statistics the wrong measurement? If you double the population, shouldn't you expect an increase in total number of crimes?

That's no excuse. Back in the 50's/60's when Smalltown, USA was basically Mayberry, that would fly. Those places don't exist anymore. I'm from a small town that the biggest crime you gotta worry about is the town drunk peeing in the parking lot of the Piggly Wiggly, and there's no way in hell I would allow my child to do what those did.

What do you think changed during that time?

Reactions: FrankUnderwood

I don't know but I'm sure if he was innocent he'd be petrified of being blamed for it & takes a risk at being charged by coming forward.

Just spitballing here.

The picture of the girl on the train trussel appears to be later in the day than the picture of the suspect on the trussel, the amount of light looks like the sun is setting in her picture.

Maybe the cops are releasing misleading data hoping the killer thinks he's in the clear, and gets sloppy. Just a thought.

It's an Instagram photo, and the app has about 16 different lighting/effects filters.

I don't know but I'm sure if he was innocent he'd be petrified of being blamed for it & takes a risk at being charged by coming forward.

Just spitballing here.

Fair point. Though, I would imagine it's possible to turn yourself in without your name being released? But I think I'd much rather take my chances knowing the public backlash then the police kicking in my door and arresting me and determining that I was the guy that knew I was a suspect but wouldn't turn myself in. Neither a good option.

Reactions: YourPublicEnemy
It's an Instagram photo, and the app has about 16 different lighting/effects filters.

Notice the angle of the shadows on her and the trees in the background, and then compare that to the shadow he cast.
The trees in the background of her pic cast a long shadow, where as his shadow is more downward.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT