ADVERTISEMENT

Alex Murdaugh revisited: Defense strikes out again

Tskware

All-American
Gold Member
Jan 27, 2003
After an all day hearing yesterday, Judge Toal overruled the defense motion for a new trial (as she should have), stating: “I simply do not believe that our South Carolina Supreme Court requires a new trial in a very lengthy trial on the strength of some fleeting and foolish comments by a publicity-seeking clerk of court"

Only one juror testified that the clerk's comments made a difference to her, all the others said either that they never spoke to the clerk, or that whatever she said made no difference to the verdict.

I would have been shocked and really disappointed if the defense had gotten a new trial, I once read that a defendant is entitled to a fair trial, but not a perfect trial, no such thing exists in a six week trial. Besides, the evidence of his guilt was overwhelming, e.g., after saying for months that he was elsewhere when the murders occurred, he had to confess on the witness stand that he was in fact at the kennel just moments before the murders, the two weapons, which match the two weapons known to have been owned by the Murdaugh family, were nowhere to be found in a search of the property after the crime, he asked his parents caretaker to "remember" that he had visited his parents for two hours the night of the murders . . . when he actually just stopped by for a few minutes.

In short, justice was served.

Reactions: vhcat70
He should have been an actor and he could have gotten away with murder.

Happy Alec Baldwin GIF by Crave

This case is far from over. Ole Poot and the Gang are going all the way to the Supreme Court, if the need, you just watch.

Reactions: Louis_Skunt
This case is far from over. Ole Poot and the Gang are going all the way to the Supreme Court, if the need, you just watch.

I wouldn't bet ten cents he ever gets out, all the relief he is asking for is a new trial, where the evidence is not going to change.

As for appeals, have at it, every defendant files appeals, but vast majority are unsuccessful. For example, Jeffrey McDonald (Fatal Vision Green Beret doc who murdered his wife and two little daughters) has been appealing since about 1980 (tbh, not sure he is even still alive, but he damn sure has not been released)

I wouldn't bet ten cents he ever gets out, all the relief he is asking for is a new trial, where the evidence is not going to change.

As for appeals, have at it, every defendant files appeals, but vast majority are unsuccessful. For example, Jeffrey McDonald (Fatal Vision Green Beret doc who murdered his wife and two little daughters) has been appealing since about 1980 (tbh, not sure he is even still alive, but he damn sure has not been released)

I didn’t say the verdict would ever be overturned, I’m just saying that this last decision will not be the last.

As I understand it, and I’m no LawDawg, the only reason he is hoping to get a new trial is that he has zero chance for parole, especially with the financial crimes on top of the murder. If he somehow can get a new trial and acquitted of murder he would then be eligible for parole on the finance charge.

I’ve been watching this unfold from the very beginning starting with the boat accident. I watched most of the trial and have no doubt as to his guilt. He won’t ever see the light of a free day but ole Poot is gonna keep going. No idea how he is being paid.

As I understand it, and I’m no LawDawg, the only reason he is hoping to get a new trial is that he has zero chance for parole, especially with the financial crimes on top of the murder. If he somehow can get a new trial and acquitted of murder he would then be eligible for parole on the finance charge.

. . . He won’t ever see the light of a free day but ole Poot is gonna keep going. No idea how he is being paid.

Think you are correct, IIRC, he would be eligible for parole in 22 years on the financial crimes, when he would be 77, so assuming he lives that long, he would at least have a chance to get out jail at some point, if it weren't for those pesky double homicide charges.

Poot I guess is just in it for the notoriety and maybe still loves the fight. I think I read he is 75, can't imagine getting involved in a case this bitterly contested at that age.

Murdaugh will never give up. Best lawyers in the state, on top of money, they'll be digging up new reasons for a retrial every year. Reminds me of that boxer who shot up the bar. The court finally let him go.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT