ADVERTISEMENT

Delphi, IN Murders

First of all, I would never think of dropping my girls off at a trailhead and let them go off alone, without an adult to accompany them. The parents of both children presumably agreed to that, which is mind blowing to me. I'm sure they are in agony right now, and I certainly don't want to blame the parents for the unspeakable interceding actions of others, but I think most people would not have allowed those 13 year old girls to be walking alone.

On the other hand, I think we can go too far in the opposite direction and never let our children have any freedoms or enjoyment in life for fear of once-in-a-million+ events. My ex is extremely paranoid and has ridiculously irrational fears when it comes to anything-or anyone-foreign. I am taking 2 of my daughters (ages 12 and 15) on a trip over Spring Break to Punta Cana in a month, and I swear she thinks they will surely die outside of the country if I don't keep them within arm's reach at all times, and every foreigner has designs to cause them harm. She did, reluctantly, sign the consent form so they could get their passports--with the understanding that she will kill me if any harm comes to them. Caution is one thing, but to be held captive by your fears is a horrible way to go through life, and I don't want my children to miss opportunities and experiences because they fear the absolute worst at all times.

Finally, the person who did this, like all child rapists/child killers, is a sick and vile mother effer who deserves to suffer excruciating pain throughout eternity. No punishment is too severe for someone so depraved. It is beyond me how anyone could commit such heinous acts as destroying the purity and innocence of a child and violently ending the child's life.

Big difference in situations there. You plan to be an actual parent and supervise your children while on your vacation. These idiots were perfectly fine dropping their kids off basically in the middle of the GD woods by themselves and being all like, "See you in a few hours, sweetheart!".

It's like I said earlier in the thread, if you didn't know better this sounds like the pitch to an awful Wes Craven movie. While the killer is a POS that should be shot in the kneecaps, hit in the face repeatedly with heavy mining equipment, and disemboweled with a wooden cooking spoon while left bleeding in the moonlight, the parents deserve a fair part of the blame as well.

Big difference in situations there. You plan to be an actual parent and supervise your children while on your vacation. These idiots were perfectly fine dropping their kids off basically in the middle of the GD woods by themselves and being all like, "See you in a few hours, sweetheart!".

It's like I said earlier in the thread, if you didn't know better this sounds like the pitch to an awful Wes Craven movie. While the killer is a POS that should be shot in the kneecaps, hit in the face repeatedly with heavy mining equipment, and disemboweled with a wooden cooking spoon while left bleeding in the moonlight, the parents deserve a fair part of the blame as well.

Blame is way too strong word there. If, say one of their mothers went with her, she'd likely be dead, too. Who's to say even a dad could've stopped that MF'er unless he was carrying?

So, blame? No. Agonizing guilt? They'll feel that until their last dying breaths.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
Blame is way too strong word there. If, say one of their mothers went with her, she'd likely be dead, too. Who's to say even a dad could've stopped that MF'er unless he was carrying?

So, blame? No. Agonizing guilt? They'll feel that until their last dying breaths.
Blame is accurate. I used the word I meant to use. Who is to say the killer does a thing if a parent is with them. The fact there would likely be a struggle and noise having to deal with an adult might be enough deterrent to make them think twice. So yes, failure to do the responsible thing as a parent warrants blame. Guilt is the consequence and by product of the action that should be blamed, or at least I hope. I have yet to see anything from the parents in all of this, for all I know, they could be grade A POS.

Thought I read one of the girls sister dropped them off. Did their parents even know the girls were being dropped off?

Blame is accurate. I used the word I meant to use. Who is to say the killer does a thing if a parent is with them. The fact there would likely be a struggle and noise having to deal with an adult might be enough deterrent to make them think twice. So yes, failure to do the responsible thing as a parent warrants blame. Guilt is the consequence and by product of the action that should be blamed, or at least I hope. I have yet to see anything from the parents in all of this, for all I know, they could be grade A POS.

The blame for those girls' deaths lies lies solely with their killer. Everything else is speculation. Would I have let my girls go by themselves on that trail? Hell, no. But I'm not assigning blame to them. Just something we'll have to disagree on.

Reactions: tommyg4uk
You can tell which posters are divorced. They are the ones who liked my last post.:scream::scream:

As for blame, I'm sure the parents are blaming themselves much more than any of you ever could. It's not the decision I would have made, but we shouldn't have to curtail our lives and live in fear of those who thrive in darkness and shadow. We need to instead rid ourselves of deviants, evildoers and predators who could even imagine, much less carry out such depravity.

Have there been any updates to this story? Really feel this case will go cold.

Did anyone see the wife they found on a sandbar in a creek outside Columbus, IN? They found her car running, door open and blinkers on. A few days later, they do not suspect foul play. Huh?? Obviously they know more than me but I picture Robert Stack on Unsolved Mysteries on both of these stories.

Apparently in 2012 two more girls were dropped off on a hiking trail "several hundred kilometers" away from this crime scene and were by themselves and murdered. They are wondering if the case is connected. Calling him the Snapchat killer.

Have there been any updates to this story? Really feel this case will go cold.

Did anyone see the wife they found on a sandbar in a creek outside Columbus, IN? They found her car running, door open and blinkers on. A few days later, they do not suspect foul play. Huh?? Obviously they know more than me but I picture Robert Stack on Unsolved Mysteries on both of these stories.

She was trying to save one of the dogs that she was leaving at the house where they found her car. The dog was blind and deaf (I think) and ran toward the river. They found the dog dead in the river, too. Pretty sad story, as she spent a lot of time rescuing dogs and working with the humane society.

Apparently in 2012 two more girls were dropped off on a hiking trail "several hundred kilometers" away from this crime scene and were by themselves and murdered. They are wondering if the case is connected. Calling him the Snapchat killer.

That was in Iowa. They found those girls several months after they disappeared and had decomposed so badly, the exact cause of death was never determined.

You can tell which posters are divorced. They are the ones who liked my last post.:scream::scream:

As for blame, I'm sure the parents are blaming themselves much more than any of you ever could. It's not the decision I would have made, but we shouldn't have to curtail our lives and live in fear of those who thrive in darkness and shadow. We need to instead rid ourselves of deviants, evildoers and predators who could even imagine, much less carry out such depravity.

Guarantee those parents were doing drugs after they dropped their kids off in the middle of nowhere.

She was trying to save one of the dogs that she was leaving at the house where they found her car. The dog was blind and deaf (I think) and ran toward the river. They found the dog dead in the river, too. Pretty sad story, as she spent a lot of time rescuing dogs and working with the humane society.

Geez..that's horrible. I had not heard that.

That was in Iowa. They found those girls several months after they disappeared and had decomposed so badly, the exact cause of death was never determined.

Yea just read another article that stated it was in Iowa. Apparently one of the 2012 girls' father contacted one of the heads on this case about the possible connection and he said they were already well aware.

It would be one thing if there was only one girl, but with two I'd feel much better about them being out there by themselves. I mean, this is a 1 in a million type thing.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
True. And again, who's to say that if one of the mothers was with them that we wouldn't be discussing a triple murder?

True - and these weren't small girls IIRC. They were teens who could likely fend for themselves about as well as a grown woman.

One question I have - why didn't the girls make a phone call when this was going down?

True - and these weren't small girls IIRC. They were teens who could likely fend for themselves about as well as a grown woman.

One question I have - why didn't the girls make a phone call when this was going down?

Only speculating, but I'd say if one of the girls had tried to make a call, he'd have taken the phone and destroyed it. The fact that one of the girls was able to Snapchat the main suspect and record his voice before she was killed was pretty brave.

Was there was cell phone coverage where the attack took place, wasn't it a remote area?

As a parent, this is always a consideration whenever my kids travel and/or ask to go somewhere for this exact reason. Can they make contact in case of an emergency.

Last edited:
Reactions: CrittendenWildcat
Only speculating, but I'd say if one of the girls had tried to make a call, he'd have taken the phone and destroyed it. The fact that one of the girls was able to Snapchat the main suspect and record his voice before she was killed was pretty brave.

I didn't realize how they took / broadcast the voice / pic. I assumed they found the phone, but snapchat makes sense too. Either way, I didn't mean to sound like I was blaming the girls for not doing the right thing. I'm sure they were in total shock and still surprised this guy was after them.

I am not fancy enough to know how to post twitter feeds on here but @karennbcboston tweeted last night. Looks like it's b/c of a probation violation but I bet they are looking at him very hard with him in custody now.

Lauren Jones (smokeshow) RT her last night. Surprised Wave3 or Indy stations haven't mentioned it yet.

I noticed that on a Facebook page dedicated to the case. I think in the process of vetting/clearing him of the murders, they found out he was on parole or probation and discovered alcohol in his possession. Helluva way to get put back in jail, but he apparently has a problem that he can't shake.

I noticed that on a Facebook page dedicated to the case. I think in the process of vetting/clearing him of the murders, they found out he was on parole or probation and discovered alcohol in his possession. Helluva way to get put back in jail, but he apparently has a problem that he can't shake.

I'm not on FB, but I can guarantee that the killer has commented or liked something on that page.

Reactions: GrandePdre
That's no excuse. Back in the 50's/60's when Smalltown, USA was basically Mayberry, that would fly. Those places don't exist anymore. I'm from a small town that the biggest crime you gotta worry about is the town drunk peeing in the parking lot of the Piggly Wiggly, and there's no way in hell I would allow my child to do what those did.

Murder is less common now than it was in 1960, and is concentrated in big cities. If you would have then, you should now. If you wouldn't now, you shouldn't have then. Good lord, they were probably as likely to die in a car crash to or from the place, let's not act like the parents made some horrible dangerous decision.

Reactions: Double Tay
Murder is less common now than it was in 1960, and is concentrated in big cities. If you would have then, you should now. If you wouldn't now, you shouldn't have then. Good lord, they were probably as likely to die in a car crash to or from the place, let's not act like the parents made some horrible dangerous decision.
Murder is less common, barely. While the population has almost doubled since 1960, the murder numbers are a little less than the same amount of growth. However, crime as a whole has nearly tripled, and violent crime like rape and assault have skyrocketed to almost sixfold the numbers of 1960. So yes, Mayberry doesn't exist anymore, Andy Griffith is dead.

http://www.disastercenter.com/crime/uscrime.htm

Reactions: Wall Knight Teague
Murder is less common, barely. While the population has almost doubled since 1960, the murder numbers are a little less than the same amount of growth. However, crime as a whole has nearly tripled, and violent crime like rape and assault have skyrocketed to almost sixfold the numbers of 1960. So yes, Mayberry doesn't exist anymore, Andy Griffith is dead.

http://www.disastercenter.com/crime/uscrime.htm

Lifestyle changes pretty much explain the increase in rape. Most rape isn't "snatch a stranger from somewhere and rape her," it's date rape/acquaintance rape. People spend a lot more years of their life dating and otherwise being in situations where that might happen than they did in 1960. And yes, assault is up significantly - but as of 1998 in rural areas 2/3 of violent crime is committed by a family member or acquaintance, not by a stranger. Even in urban and suburban areas only half of violent crime is committed by a stranger. And rural areas do have MUCH lower crime then urban and suburban areas.

OK, Sherlock, and who do you think populates small town America? It isn't a melting pot in Bumf***, Egypt. Most are settled by entire families that live in close contact with one another. Mayberry doesn't exist, Andy Griffith is dead.

Indy news just reported 10 minutes ago that police are searching this guys home right now.

Indy news just reported 10 minutes ago that police are searching this guys home right now.
I'm gonna keep an innocent until proven guilty stance, but this dude has got a lot of strikes against him, IMO.

He was way too willing to let media come on the property and get on camera right after it happened. (Strike one)That was the same clip that I said his walk matched the suspect image and voice sounded similar to the audio loop. (Strikes two and three) You could make a case that's a killer flaunting people to look at what he did, and he's too smart to get caught. Plus, they never gave a solid alibi for him, just that he had been cleared as a suspect. Makes you wonder if as they dug that his alibi fell apart.

It could be just as simple that it is a search due to parole violation, but if he did it, I hope the cops find something to nail him.

I'm gonna keep an innocent until proven guilty stance, but this dude has got a lot of strikes against him, IMO.

He was way too willing to let media come on the property and get on camera right after it happened. (Strike one)That was the same clip that I said his walk matched the suspect image and voice sounded similar to the audio loop. (Strikes two and three) You could make a case that's a killer flaunting people to look at what he did, and he's too smart to get caught. Plus, they never gave a solid alibi for him, just that he had been cleared as a suspect. Makes you wonder if as they dug that his alibi fell apart.

It could be just as simple that it is a search due to parole violation, but if he did it, I hope the cops find something to nail him.

Agree. I'm open-minded about it but it's definitely coincidental.

Will make a hell of a Dateline episode.

ADVERTISEMENT