ADVERTISEMENT

Danny Hurley gets it

Can't get over that dude turning down 100 million dollars.
Me either. I think I wrongly mentioned that we had our coach if that were true and that if he turned it down...it was a classic example of two fools meeting...Mitch for offering it and Hurley for turning down a crazy offer like that. Just unreal! Thought for sure he was headed here. You know he's thought about that since then. Who wouldn't?

And what if we beat him? Lol! 😅

At that level of richness, it means nothing. There is just about nothing in the world he would really want that he can't buy. Winning championships is far more important to him than starting over somewhere else.
I don't think you really understand how that works. Money is a drug and you can never get enough of it. The offer made to him was massive, by all accounts I've seen. It was a different level of money, just totally different. Real generational money! If he is as good as you make it sound, and he was my guy...what was he worried about?

I don't think you really understand how that works. Money is a drug and you can never get enough of it. The offer made to him was massive, by all accounts I've seen. It was a different level of money, just totally different. Real generational money! If he is as good as you make it sound, and he was my guy...what was he worried about?
And I don't think you get that some people don't care about money over everything, especially when you have a decent chunk already. Dude is worth at least 5-7 million already. Probably doesn't have any debt (or very little), house is probably paid off, etc.

What does more money do for him if he has everything he wants? Dude seems HAPPY. God forbid I know. 5 million and I'd be able to coast the rest of my life. Invest wisely, live off the interest....do whatever the hell I want.

12 million a year and he'd have more headaches down here.

Here titles are expected. Up there titles are nice to have.

I would've liked to see what he could do down here, but man, I get it. He's in a place where he's happy and has two titles. He's already in an elite group of coaches. He had no reason to come here.

Evidently finding another wife to wash his underwear

Reactions: DDMatUK=NBA
Yes, maybe. Or maybe he's still kicking himself for turning down $100 freakin million bucks! Maybe some of both.
I think he's got an eye on the NBA himself. If he intended to stay in college basketball for the rest of his career, I bet he takes a much closer look at that offer. You'd have to. But I'm thinking he's a short timer for college basketball. Think Rick Pitino circa 1996. If you've won a title, made another championship game, (a 2nd title for Hurley) and made multiple Final Fours, and you have the NBA as an ambition, what more do you need to accomplish? That's what I think will happen with Hurley soon.

At that level of richness, it means nothing. There is just about nothing in the world he would really want that he can't buy. Winning championships is far more important to him than starting over somewhere else.
Exactly
Don’t know why that’s so hard to understand

Reactions: Jumpercat
Hurley is also a great coach. Does some stuff that most coaches don't and is hard to prepare for. Hopefully we can do similar things here. The only other option is to have great talent. I think UConn also had great talent. Some high picks projected in the draft. They are projected to have three first round picks..

What in the ever loving world are you talking about? 5 mil a year is enough to live good - really good- but no where close to being nothing in the world he could want.

That’s really a salary that could lead to people thinking that and getting waaaaay in over their head quick if not careful. There’s a TON of things 5 million a year doesn’t allow.

What in the ever loving world are you talking about? 5 mil a year is enough to live good - really good- but no where close to being nothing in the world he could want.

That’s really a salary that could lead to people thinking that and getting waaaaay in over their head quick if not careful. There’s a TON of things 5 million a year doesn’t allow.
Out of curiosity, what would you be lamenting that you wanted but could not afford if you had an annual salary of 5 million per year?

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot

That’s not really the point. I think we’re seeing a culture change from the “MAKE ALL THE MONEY” of the boomer and subsequent generations.

Have you heard the phrase, “don’t try to be happier than happy?” Or, “mo money no problems?”

Unless he’s driven by status, luxury, etc… then what’s the difference in $5 or $10 million? Either way your kids will be set for life, but maybe not end up entitled trust fund babies.

Maybe he’s happy. Maybe he sees his kids growing up halfway normal. Maybe money isn’t the end all be all. A certain amount is, but once you’re totally comfortable, I think we’re seeing that people would rather have stability and purpose than just a big check.

Reactions: Jumpercat and UK90
That’s not really the point. I think we’re seeing a culture change from the “MAKE ALL THE MONEY” of the boomer and subsequent generations.

Have you heard the phrase, “don’t try to be happier than happy?” Or, “mo money no problems?”

Unless he’s driven by status, luxury, etc… then what’s the difference in $5 or $10 million? Either way your kids will be set for life, but maybe not end up entitled trust fund babies.

Maybe he’s happy. Maybe he sees his kids growing up halfway normal. Maybe money isn’t the end all be all. A certain amount is, but once you’re totally comfortable, I think we’re seeing that people would rather have stability and purpose than just a big check.

How can you tell me what the point is of someone else’s post ?

He said he makes enough money to buy anything in the world. It’s just simply false. Whether it’s a basketball coach or a hedge fund manager or a doctor or a crackhead- it’s completely incorrect.

But great job coming to the defense of an idiotic statement.

It was $50 mil, not $100 mil
Just repeating what multiple outlets were reporting...8 years, $100 million. I have not seen the $50 you mention anywhere. Doesn't matter now but like I said, IF true, I thought, and still do, only a fool would turn that $100 mill down. If the offer was $50, I can't say I blame him.

The way he phrases that almost sounds like it was directed right at Cal. Specifically the kind of hotshot Cal recruit that we’ve been frustrated by for years and years.

Cal was only looking at their rankings. He was looking at the other stuff.
I was always suspicious of Calipari's talent evaluation. It always seemed like he did just look at the rankings and the basketball recruiting world is terrible at evaluations anyway. Reed Sheppard being the lowest ranked recruit in this years class being a prime example. So many times I've seen these rankings based off the fact that the guy is 6'11 with a 40inch vertical and a 7'2 wingspan, versus can he play basketball.

Sports has a mental component to it and it seems like Hurley is the type of coach that really values that as well. As far as turning down money is concerned. If you think you can win where you are at and make enough money to be happy why change? Plus I think the dude has NBA aspirations at some point.

Just repeating what multiple outlets were reporting...8 years, $100 million. I have not seen the $50 you mention anywhere. Doesn't matter now but like I said, IF true, I thought, and still do, only a fool would turn that $100 mill down. If the offer was $50, I can't say I blame him.
The last reports that came out stated $50m over 5 years. That's still $10 mil a year.

How can you tell me what the point is of someone else’s post ?

He said he makes enough money to buy anything in the world. It’s just simply false. Whether it’s a basketball coach or a hedge fund manager or a doctor or a crackhead- it’s completely incorrect.

But great job coming to the defense of an idiotic statement.
Google rhetoric

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT