ADVERTISEMENT

Scott Drew .646 winning percentage

What is Drew’s winning % after let’s say the first 7 years or so at Baylor. It took every bit of 2 full graduating classes to get that program to D1 level and competing from where he started.
So 1 final 4 in 15 years is good enough. That's taking 7 away like u said. He's an ok coach but he's definitely not a home run

So 1 final 4 in 15 years is good enough. That's taking 7 away like u said. He's an ok coach but he's definitely not a home run
There are a few coaches I'd take ahead of him but if we strike out on Hurley and Donovan and Stevens and Oats, which is likely, who do you rank ahead of Drew? Pearl starting a new high pressure job at nearly 65? Pitino doing the same at 71? You're putting Drew down, while not considering where he was coaching and not offering anybody any better. You're just bitching because Cal left or just out of habit unless you can name somebody better that we can get.

If we are going by winning percentage and tournament success alone.....
Tubby Smith was 124-62. Good for a .667 winning percentage. His greatest tournament achievement? Back to back Sweet 16's.

People, we are spoiled by the early years of Cal's success. What happened was magic. It was Pitino all over again. Going forward, we all thought, as did Cal, that bringing in the best recruits possible would equal more wins and tournament success, but it somehow did not. We, as a fanbase, are going to have to back up and learn to be supportive and understanding of a new coach. Tubby inherited success. Cal did not, he built it back up. Things are pretty good for this new incoming coach. Not early Calipari UK good, but we are not in Billy Gillespie mode either. All we need is just a little patience, and not expect lightning in a bottle right off the bat.

Reactions: cats#1again
How about sweaty Bruce .712 winning % as many tournament wins as drew. Wth isn’t he being considered? The man is a winner and hungry as hell for a title.

Reactions: BlueSince92
How about sweaty Bruce .712 winning % as many tournament wins as drew. Wth isn’t he being considered? The man is a winner and hungry as hell for a title.
He’s also a lot older. Pearl is high on my list but Drew has more success and is much younger. Drew is the smarter choice.

There are a few coaches I'd take ahead of him but if we strike out on Hurley and Donovan and Stevens and Oats, which is likely, who do you rank ahead of Drew? Pearl starting a new high pressure job at nearly 65? Pitino doing the same at 71? You're putting Drew down, while not considering where he was coaching and not offering anybody any better. You're just bitching because Cal left or just out of habit unless you can name somebody better that we can get.
I'm not putting him down I just don't think he's a slam dunk. I think he's on the same level as pearl. Pitino isn't in the conversation until around 20 turn us down. Unless you are a pansy that isn't bitching or putting him down. He's been at Baylor 22 years , you can't use Baylor as an excuse anymore. They were good in 2010. So they had every opportunity to be good after

One thing you may want to consider about Drew is that he's not going to pull a 2020—2024 Cal. Especially with the recruiting boost he'll have at Kentucky, he will pretty much always get you to the tournament and he will pretty much always win at least one game.

That may sound like all upside.

But consider what we've just been through.

And consider that had Cal won two more games this year we would almost certainly still be stuck with Cal right now with no likely escape in the next six years.

Drew may be able to win a title outside of COVID at Kentucky. He may be able to win titles outside of COVID at Kentucky. We will certainly hope he can, if he comes.

Because if he can't, we will certainly never get rid of him as long as Mitch works here. And we will almost certainly never get rid of him as long as any reasonably stable AD works here. Drew may not be the biggest title threat in the whole candidate pool. But he may well be the least fireable guy in the entire country.

Is that necessarily a good thing?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT