ADVERTISEMENT

Dalton Knecht

So Knecht looks great in this snippet. Does he do as well against SEC size and speed? Who says he won’t be another Frederick? Hard to judge a players impact for us that has faced much lesser competition.
He looks better than Reeves or sestina or Grady and everyone seems to love them.

Again we don't know who northern Colorado players are. Geez this is getting ridiculous board. So we not champions if we get players like this. I bet he'll have a hard time with lots of power 5 teams. Plus Cal can't teach players good enough that may lack the talent of a high level.
Ccc can't beat decent teams, let alone top ranked teams

Dillingham, Wagner, Edwards, and Bradshaw will all likely start. The fifth starter probably ends up being a big man (Tshiebwe or a transfer).

Can’t really see Cal going small and playing Knecht with those four. It could work, but I just can’t see it. Cal hates small ball. Like DeerTurkHunter1 said, if he won’t play Livingston at the 4, it’s highly unlikely he would play Edwards or Knecht at the 4. Both are closer to being 2’s than 4’s.

In someone else’s system, it might work, but in Cal’s system, not likely.
Again, who cares what "number" they play. Put 5 talented guts on the floor that can score. Ccc hasn't done this since 2015 and he still lost with that group

Reactions: seccats04
He looks better than Reeves or sestina or Grady and everyone seems to love them.
I like reeves as a third or fourth option, he can be really good next year, sestina didn’t do much of anything here, Grady wasn’t allowed to have the ball in his hands like he did at Davidson or coach just put him in a damn corner

I want this kid for one major reason.
In the highlights I watched his name was pronounced (connect). I just want to see the CBS crew say. “Connect, ohhhhhh connects for three or something like that.

Dillingham, Wagner, Edwards, and Bradshaw will all likely start. The fifth starter probably ends up being a big man (Tshiebwe or a transfer).

Can’t really see Cal going small and playing Knecht with those four. It could work, but I just can’t see it. Cal hates small ball. Like DeerTurkHunter1 said, if he won’t play Livingston at the 4, it’s highly unlikely he would play Edwards or Knecht at the 4. Both are closer to being 2’s than 4’s.

In someone else’s system, it might work, but in Cal’s system, not likely.
Agree with all, what would you prefer? I mean do u want Chris back or the Colorado kid or what lineup do u wanna roll with?

This is the kind of kid that we should go 4-out with.

He got close to 8 RPG.

Wagner
Reeves
Edwards
Knecht
Bradshaw

Dillingham
Portal Transfer PF
Portal Transfer C
Ware
Thiero

That is a roster that wins the national title going away IMO.
Can Dilly accept a role off the bench?

To me, it can just be a math problem.

We have 160 MPG to offer at 4 perimeter spots.

Wagner- 32
Edwards- 34
Dillingham- 32
Reeves- 32

= 130 MPG

That leaves 30 MPG for someone to fill in.

Guys like Reed and Thiero fill in for foul trouble and injuries.

But I do get what you're saying.

But man, if we played 40 MPG with a combination of those 5 dudes, we are scoring a bunch of points and winning a bunch of ball games.
I’ve given up on thinking that Cal will ever play this way, short of an extreme emergency.

Assuming Dillingham makes it to campus, Dillingham, Wagner, and Edwards will be the 1,2,3. Bradshaw will be the 4. Some new big will be the 5. Ware will back up the 4 and 5.

Maybe we bring in a stretch 4 type. Maybe we bring in another project 5. These will be people comfortable without a ton of minutes.

Assuming Reeves returns, I just don’t see any high ability wing coming here. If I’m consulting any of these guys, I’m showing them how Cal always plays, and telling them not to come here.

Caveat being if you like this guy better than Reeves, you bring him in now and tell Reeves to be happy with whatever scraps are left. Maybe some games that’s 25 minutes and some games it’s 6. But you don’t go 0 for 32 in a second round loss then dictate terms in the offseason.

Agree with all, what would you prefer? I mean do u want Chris back or the Colorado kid or what lineup do u wanna roll with?
I would probably go with Livingston, just because he is a returning player.

As for a lineup I would want to roll with, I am just not sure. I like what we have in the backcourt (if Reeves returns), but feel the frontcourt is just going to be lackluster no matter who we get.

I don’t see the perfect big man for us out there. No home runs out there.

I guess I try to get Tshiebwe back, at this point. Not a great fit with Cal, but he might be our best option.

If I was in charge, one thing I would do is play the five Freshmen together to see how it goes. I like the idea of spreading the floor on offense with all those guards/playmakers. We would give up some strength and rebounding, but would make up for it with quickness and ballhandling.

Can Dilly accept a role off the bench?
That's a valid question for chemistry issues. But that's something the coaching staff should probably know or have a plan to make work, right?

Plus, shouldn't the only question relevant to the starting lineup be which combination of starters impact winning the most? For example, Fredrick as an individual player would not have been one of the 5 best players last season even if had been healthy and shooting as well as most anticipated. But it seemed most observers (and not just fans) thought that version of Fredrick alongside Tshiebwe, Toppin Reeves, and Wallace was the best version of the team.

I’ve given up on thinking that Cal will ever play this way, short of an extreme emergency.

Assuming Dillingham makes it to campus, Dillingham, Wagner, and Edwards will be the 1,2,3. Bradshaw will be the 4. Some new big will be the 5. Ware will back up the 4 and 5.
I sure hope this isn't a foregone conclusion. I wish the focus was squarely on winning a title. And to my way of thinking that would mean UK was set on getting the best upperclassmen in the portal and let the freshmen compliment those guys and the returning players. Take the pressure off. Let the glimpses of that high talent level peek through without having to ride out all the rough patches as the freshmen mature and get better. Regardless, start the player at each position who has the most impact on winning. Maybe that's a couple of the freshmen - maybe it's 4 or 5 (which I don't believe at this point).

But If UK runs with a starting lineup of:

PG Dillingham
2G Wagner
SF Edwards
PF Bradshaw
C ??????

I wouldn’t bet UK to win it all in Vegas if the odds were 50 to 1. I don’t think I would even bet that team to make it to the Final Four if the odds offered were 50 to 1. And I actually really like all the recruits coming in. I just don’t want them to be put in a position to fail, which I think is pretty much a given when you put all the weight to carry your team on 4 freshmen – and starters are who carry the weight of a team. To begin with, with that starting scenario I don’t believe the offensive consistency or efficiency will be close to good enough regardless of who mans the C spot.

Reactions: qwesley
This is a guy that would fit perfectly in our lineup next year! He can play 2-4 and would be a handful for any of our opponents to check! He’s a SHOT MAKER unlike some of the guys we’ve had to play the last couple of years.

The guy I really wanted at the 5 spot next season was Kel’el Ware. It looks like he is Indiana bound.

The guy I really wanted at the 5 spot next season was Kel’el Ware. It looks like he is Indiana bound.
Read something from David Sisk that said that K Ware and UK had been working behind the scenes and its been kept quiet. Then a few hours later he canceled his trip to Bama. Not sure if that's real or not but Sisk says so if he's any good.

Reactions: bucsrule8872
Read something from David Sisk that said that K Ware and UK had been working behind the scenes and its been kept quiet. Then a few hours later he canceled his trip to Bama. Not sure if that's real or not but Sisk says so if he's any good.
Would be nice to get him. He’s a great fit, IMHO.

Bench...it wouldn't be 1st 5* to sit
Reed S. is still considered a 4* I believe... although thats irrelevant if he can hit shots. As I hope he can; I also hope he will be dedicated to KY as the prestigious institution it is and be okay with playing off the bench. Like papa Jeff I imagine he will do what he can to contribute to a W.

Dead period ends Thursday, hopefully we start hearing about our main targets. Ware in visiting IU then, I believe Dalton is visiting too.

UNC “insider” saying Knecht is going to make a visit this weekend to a school (favorite) but doesn’t know or saying which school…my guess - and it’s a total guess - is UK, IU or UNC.

Last edited:
Ware off the board Tuesday.
sure sounds like it, while ccc makes little if any attempt to land this kid
ever year it is the same crap, always missing a key player, not enough shooters, yet this used car salesman
sits & watches the grass grow and does nothing to fill the void

UNC “insider” saying Knecht is going to make a visit this weekend to a school (favorite) but doesn’t know or saying which school…my guess - and it’s a total guess - is UK, IU or UNC.
you said favorite.........doubt that description fits UK

sure sounds like it, while ccc makes little if any attempt to land this kid
ever year it is the same crap, always missing a key player, not enough shooters, yet this used car salesman
sits & watches the grass grow and does nothing to fill the void
How do you know what Cal is doing with regard to contacting players? I really want to know how some of you get this inside info

With Onyenso leaning heavily toward a return, and Tshiebwe still a possibility, I think it’s pretty clear that Ware is not really considering UK.
I think UKs hands are tied. Waiting instead of offering. Not sure Cal woukd recruit over his new group either or ware even considering a bench spot either.

I’m hearing only one visit and it’s to Bloomington on Friday. Will decide on more after that visit. Been kept very quiet. This isn’t for certain.

Indiana people or some think knecht is IU’s to lose,

IU is definitely being aggressive in the portal.

But Cal has to get this one IMO.

But IU can definitely offer a more "guaranteed" role. They can practically sell him on being the focal point of their entire offense and a guaranteed 35MPG guy for a Big Ten team.

We can't (and won't) offer either of those things.

But we can still offer a pretty incredible situation and a chance for him to be a key piece on a team that has some of the best talent in the country.

IU is definitely being aggressive in the portal.

But Cal has to get this one IMO.

But IU can definitely offer a more "guaranteed" role. They can practically sell him on being the focal point of their entire offense and a guaranteed 35MPG guy for a Big Ten team.

We can't (and won't) offer either of those things.

But we can still offer a pretty incredible situation and a chance for him to be a key piece on a team that has some of the best talent in the country.
Agree, I hope cal atleast speeds up the interest this week and atleast tries to get a visit in place

How do you know what Cal is doing with regard to contacting players? I really want to know how some of you get this inside info
because his past record indicates so, especially since 2015
he is as useless as a broken tree limb just hanging high enough that you can't reach & pull down
but you can keep on bowing down to him since he apparently is you hero

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT