ADVERTISEMENT

Dalton Knecht

That the issue for sure, to me a small lineup of Wagner reeves Edwards knecht & bradshaw or whoever the big would be lethal. Who knows maybe Kentucky still gets him but right now they aren’t in a great spot
But, you know, that's actually not a small college lineup. Pretty good size across the board.

Reactions: Dontworryboutit23
We need to play position-less basketball.

4 guards, switch everything 1-4, gang rebound, space the floor, etc.

Play 20 MPG with 4 guards, the other 20 MPG you play a true big in the 4 spot, and be able to effectively play both brands of basketball in March.
I watched the "modern offense" during the tournament. Basically the modern offense consists of a Weave and Hope. 5 guys on the perimeter and hope the shot goes in.

To me, it can just be a math problem.

We have 160 MPG to offer at 4 perimeter spots.

Wagner- 32
Edwards- 34
Dillingham- 32
Reeves- 32

= 130 MPG

That leaves 30 MPG for someone to fill in.

Guys like Reed and Thiero fill in for foul trouble and injuries.

But I do get what you're saying.

But man, if we played 40 MPG with a combination of those 5 dudes, we are scoring a bunch of points and winning a bunch of ball games.
I wish that no starter played more than 30 minutes. I think that's the cause of UK's injury woes.

Can't see him coming here if Reeves returns which is highly likely would also have Dillingham. Edwards is getting 30+ minutes at the 3 and Igmo has to have 2 guys 7'13" at the 4 and 5 rather play Knecht at the 4.

Reactions: Fox2monk
To me, it can just be a math problem.

We have 160 MPG to offer at 4 perimeter spots.

Wagner- 32
Edwards- 34
Dillingham- 32
Reeves- 32

= 130 MPG

That leaves 30 MPG for someone to fill in.

Guys like Reed and Thiero fill in for foul trouble and injuries.

But I do get what you're saying.

But man, if we played 40 MPG with a combination of those 5 dudes, we are scoring a bunch of points and winning a bunch of ball games.
Realism
Edwards will be at the 3, not the 4. So 3 perimeter spots, not 4. If there is a 4th, he will be bigger than Edwards.

This is the kind of kid that we should go 4-out with.

He got close to 8 RPG.

Wagner
Reeves
Edwards
Knecht
Bradshaw

Dillingham
Portal Transfer PF
Portal Transfer C
Ware
Thiero

That is a roster that wins the national title going away IMO.
With the right coaching yes.

Knecht will be a better offensive SF next season than a freshman Edwards. He has the shot, he has handles, he has mature strength, he has bounce, he will drive into traffic and dunk on you, etc. But I don't think he and Edwards are mutually exclusive to a UK starting lineup. Knecht and Edwards could be a good forward tandem. I believe that Edwards would work better at the 4, for both offensive and defensive purposes. But the point, I believe, is that together Knecht and Edwards can rebound the forward spots well enough or better, and defend ok - especially in a team defense concept (which UK employs even though in man-to-man). Edwards length at a legit 6'7" allows him to defend most college PFs, and Knecht is a pretty solidly built legit 6'6". And the offense would have a chance to be very good from the forward spots.
Who cares what number they play (3 or 4)? Just put some talent on the floor that can score. Let the opponents adjust to what uk does. Be an innovator not just a clone of everyone else.

That the issue for sure, to me a small lineup of Wagner reeves Edwards knecht & bradshaw or whoever the big would be lethal offensively. Who knows maybe Kentucky still gets him but right now they aren’t in a great spot
And you know that how?

And you know that how?
Know what how. That the small lineup would work or that knecht to Kentucky isn’t likely right now. The recruiting people have hinted at unc and IU pushing for him along with some others, and pilgrim said Kentucky told knecht they may have a spot for him but they can’t promise anything so I am just putting all the information together

Knecht will be a better offensive SF next season than a freshman Edwards. He has the shot, he has handles, he has mature strength, he has bounce, he will drive into traffic and dunk on you, etc. But I don't think he and Edwards are mutually exclusive to a UK starting lineup. Knecht and Edwards could be a good forward tandem. I believe that Edwards would work better at the 4, for both offensive and defensive purposes. But the point, I believe, is that together Knecht and Edwards can rebound the forward spots well enough or better, and defend ok - especially in a team defense concept (which UK employs even though in man-to-man). Edwards length at a legit 6'7" allows him to defend most college PFs, and Knecht is a pretty solidly built legit 6'6". And the offense would have a chance to be very good from the forward spots.
Um no, never will Edwards play the 4

Reactions: CatPatrick13
Just a quick look at Knecht and Northern Colorado (12-20/ 6-12 Big Sky)
  • N. Colorado played five teams that went to 2023 NCAA Tourney (Lost all five games by an average of 25-ppg)
  • Knecht averaged 12.4-ppg/ 6.4-reb/ 1.0-ast in these five losses against higher competition
  • IMO, could be a 4th-5th option or high minute bench role player, if he's looking towards better competition and chance for possible tourney success
  • Also, played against one big-time team in 21-22, 8th rated Texas, N. Colorado lost by 13 and Knecht went for 4-pts/ 4-rebs/ 1-ast
  • DK was the best option on bad team and had to be a volume shooter because of team quality, one shot every 2.31-minutes. Antonio Reeves put up a shot every 2.35-minutes, Oscar every 3.08-minutes
Definitely take him if he doesn't mind being a littler fish in a whole lot bigger pond.

Dillingham, Wagner, Edwards, and Bradshaw will all likely start. The fifth starter probably ends up being a big man (Tshiebwe or a transfer).

Can’t really see Cal going small and playing Knecht with those four. It could work, but I just can’t see it. Cal hates small ball. Like DeerTurkHunter1 said, if he won’t play Livingston at the 4, it’s highly unlikely he would play Edwards or Knecht at the 4. Both are closer to being 2’s than 4’s.

In someone else’s system, it might work, but in Cal’s system, not likely.

Just a quick look at Knecht and Northern Colorado (12-20/ 6-12 Big Sky)
  • N. Colorado played five teams that went to 2023 NCAA Tourney (Lost all five games by an average of 25-ppg)
  • Knecht averaged 12.4-ppg/ 6.4-reb/ 1.0-ast in these five losses against higher competition
  • IMO, could be a 4th-5th option or high minute bench role player, if he's looking towards better competition and chance for possible tourney success
  • Also, played against one big-time team in 21-22, 8th rated Texas, N. Colorado lost by 13 and Knecht went for 4-pts/ 4-rebs/ 1-ast
  • DK was the best option on bad team and had to be a volume shooter because of team quality, one shot every 2.31-minutes. Antonio Reeves put up a shot every 2.35-minutes, Oscar every 3.08-minutes
Definitely take him if he doesn't mind being a littler fish in a whole lot bigger pond.
Very good information. Brings reality into the equatio.

Reactions: ib4ky
Poo
Jack Pilgrim said this is the only kid so far that Kentucky has gone deep into the pitch with and actually talked in-depth about role, etc.

He also said Knecht is not in a rush to make a decision which plays into our favor.

This is the kid I absolutely want more than anyone else in the portal. The kid is a killer and a perfect fit for what we need.

Anyone heard anything else about this kid and his interest in Kentucky lately?

Jack Pilgrim said this is the only kid so far that Kentucky has gone deep into the pitch with and actually talked in-depth about role, etc.

He also said Knecht is not in a rush to make a decision which plays into our favor.

This is the kid I absolutely want more than anyone else in the portal. The kid is a killer and a perfect fit for what we need.

Poor man’s Kyle Wiltjer

Who cares what number they play (3 or 4)? Just put some talent on the floor that can score. Let the opponents adjust to what uk does. Be an innovator not just a clone of everyone else.
Agree. Now can we get the players, handlers, or whoever is still causing players to obsess over it to go along?

What??

Have you ever watched basketball before?

This kid is absolutely nothing like Kyle Wiltjer, not to mention Wiltjer was a big man and this is a guard.

So basically- they're both white and can shoot a little bit?

Great contribution.
Yeah knecht can definitely create with the ball and is more athletic than wiltjer, his stats agaisnt power 5 teams aren’t great, but with other talent he can put up good numbers, I hope Kentucky goes after him more aggressively and gets him

Reactions: Tampa_cat54
UConn had 3 guys on their bench that would start at a good chunk of school in division one, I want Kentucky to have that depth and have more than just reeves being able to shoot the ball. Gosh I’m so selfish

I think we'll end up having a solid 8 pieces that could start across D-1.

The 4 main freshman + Reeves for sure. Then you have the wildcards of Oscar and Livingston, but if they both leave, I think we'll bring in at least 2 from the portal. Then Reed Sheppard, Thiero, etc.

I think we'll be deep- I am trusting Cal one last time to build this roster the way it SHOULD be built.

Not like last season.

I think we'll end up having a solid 8 pieces that could start across D-1.

The 4 main freshman + Reeves for sure. Then you have the wildcards of Oscar and Livingston, but if they both leave, I think we'll bring in at least 2 from the portal. Then Reed Sheppard, Thiero, etc.

I think we'll be deep- I am trusting Cal one last time to build this roster the way it SHOULD be built.

Not like last season.
The four freshman for sure, I’ve already accepted Livingston is gone Oscar is 50/50. If they get a portal big who is competent, that’s five. Reed/theiro one of them will be playable that’s 6, they need to get a hybrid foward for the ugo/Collins roll that 7, and then reeves and one preferably two more shooters. I would like 8-9. Dillingham is still a asterisk for me but if he comes then go get one knockdown really good shooter

So Knecht looks great in this snippet. Does he do as well against SEC size and speed? Who says he won’t be another Frederick? Hard to judge a players impact for us that has faced much lesser competition.

Man, I didn't know about this dude. He looks good. Shot is pure and he runs the floor well.

Just saw a couple highlight videos of him on youtube, when he raises up, it's nothing but Knecht

UConn had 3 guys on their bench that would start at a good chunk of school in division one, I want Kentucky to have that depth and have more than just reeves being able to shoot the ball. Gosh I’m so selfish
I don't know the roster of UConn like you do, but I accept what you're saying as accurate and agree with you. So, why shouldn't UK be both willing and able to do this with all their advantages? We all understand that UK can't get every good player, but I absolutely think Calipari should try to put together the best team of 13 college players he can land.

It should be totally irrelevant what recruit is coming in or what player is already on the roster. If an OAD recruit isn't better than the best upperclassmen from the portal - and they usually won't be - then the recruit should be the backup, not the starter. If the freshmen is, or eventually becomes, the better player he should be the starter. But present impact on winning should be the determining factor, not high school ranking or draft projection, etc.

Reactions: Dontworryboutit23
The amount of underestimating I've seen on here when it comes to Dillingham boggles my mind. Dilly could very well be our best freshman coming in next year, and will be the true PG we have lacked the past couple of years.

Dillingham is a top-notch scorer, can get his shot when and wherever he wants, is a great facilitator and also breaks down a defense. There is no way that he isn't our starter and plays 32 plus minutes a game.

I just do not see Wagner as a true PG, but more of a combo guard. We need a true floor general, especially one with the scoring mentality of Dilly. When was the last time we have had that on a UK team? A successful team needs this in today's collegiate environment, and it will be great to finally have one.

I want Dalton, too, and hopefully Cal will have the correct rotation to make it work. If he can do something along the lines of the following, let's make it happen.

Dilly, Wagner, Edwards, Dalton and Bradshaw should all have around the same minutes as a starter, with Dilly playing the majority of the 1, with Wagner and Thiero rotating over when Rob needs a break. Wagner, Shephard and hopefully Reeves and Dalton getting minutes at the 2 spot, with Wagner getting the majority of the minutes. Edwards, Dalton, and even Reeves getting minutes at the 3, with Edwards and Dalton getting the majority. Edwards, Dalton and hopefully another legit transfer that is more of a true 4 all getting minutes at the 4 spot, with Edwards and Dalton again getting the majority of the minutes there. Bradshaw, Ware and hopefully that other legit transfer playing the 5, with Bradshaw playing the majority of the minutes at the 5.

Again we don't know who northern Colorado players are. Geez this is getting ridiculous board. So we not champions if we get players like this. I bet he'll have a hard time with lots of power 5 teams. Plus Cal can't teach players good enough that may lack the talent of a high level.

So Knecht looks great in this snippet. Does he do as well against SEC size and speed? Who says he won’t be another Frederick? Hard to judge a players impact for us that has faced much lesser competition.
Valid questions. We know there are no guarantees with any player coming in from high school or another college. But I think it's clear that the portal guys have faced much tougher and better competition than the high school kids. A mid-major college team is still a whole other world above high school. Basically every Div. I mid-major player was a great high school player. Few high school teams would even have one mid-major caliber player; and even the few "super" high school teams put together that have multiple Div. I prospects are not mature enough to be comparable.

I don't know the roster of UConn like you do, but I accept what you're saying as accurate and agree with you. So, why shouldn't UK be both willing and able to do this with all their advantages? We all understand that UK can't get every good player, but I absolutely think Calipari should try to put together the best team of 13 college players he can land.

It should be totally irrelevant what recruit is coming in or what player is already on the roster. If an OAD recruit isn't better than the best upperclassmen from the portal - and they usually won't be - then the recruit should be the backup, not the starter. If the freshmen is, or eventually becomes, the better player he should be the starter. But present impact on winning should be the determining factor, not high school ranking or draft projection, etc.
Agree he has been hurt by injuries the past 3-4 years, go get 8-9 good players, and then 10-13 can be guys who are developmental projects but can play in a pinch and help out if needed

Reactions: G-PIP

Agree. Huge recruit for us. He's just as big as Edwards or Wagner was to me
You get him you have Reeves, knecht and Edwards for that 2/3 spot. Plus dillingham and shep

Reactions: Fox2monk and G-PIP
Ho
This is the kind of kid that we should go 4-out with.

He got close to 8 RPG.

Wagner
Reeves
Edwards
Knecht
Bradshaw

Dillingham
Portal Transfer PF
Portal Transfer C
Ware
Thiero

That is a roster that wins the national title going away IMO.
How You gonna guard a scoring pf? He's definitely not a 4

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT