ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

Good morning from ATX. Currently 60°F and clear.

Power outage. We lost electricity. Believe truck hit a power poll. Using smartphone to connect.

Monday, Monday.... Y'all have a great day.

St. Magnus Cathedral. Coming up on 900 years old. Located downtown Kirkwall, Orkney

456983460_10231563161362715_2889030763069181717_n.jpg

Saluting-Legionnaire.jpg

Morning Legionnaires!

58° this morning with light winds. Today's high to be in the low 90's with plenty of sunshine. Supposed to return back to the triple digits by the weekend. Hope not.

Manic Monday? I hope not but if so, here is some eye candy and music to help ease the start.

Be safe out there grinders and God Bless.

Saluting-Legionnaire.jpg

Morning Legionnaires!

58° this morning with light winds. Today's high to be in the low 90's with plenty of sunshine. Supposed to return back to the triple digits by the weekend. Hope not.

Manic Monday? I hope not but if so, here is some eye candy and music to help ease the start.

Be safe out there grinders and God Bless.
She's still hot at 65.

Good morning folks. Sunny, clear and actually chilly this morning during my run. This streak of fall weather has already lasted about two weeks, effectively ending summer in late August. Fine with me.

Back to work. Not a fan of Mondays at all, and already hit with some depressing assignments to attend to this week. Ah well, in a year when I retire I'll probably lament having no place to be.

You folks have a good day.

Good morning folks. Sunny, clear and actually chilly this morning during my run. This streak of fall weather has already lasted about two weeks, effectively ending summer in late August. Fine with me.

Back to work. Not a fan of Mondays at all, and already hit with some depressing assignments to attend to this week. Ah well, in a year when I retire I'll probably lament having no place to be.

You folks have a good day.
You have to do something when you retire. I am 77 and I still work, just fewer hours and only when I want to. My only real hobbies were sports and I am to old for that now. I guess working is my hobby now. Part of it is there were health related things, but I worked for ten years at a large plant and they said the average retiree there only lived 19 months. You have to stay busy.

Good morning from ATX. Currently 67°F and clear. Today's high expected around 93°F. Heat ratcheting back up between now and Friday.

In addition to chemo, received a magnesium infusion yesterday. Felt like a brand new man thereafter. Stayed up until 9 pm last night. Usually crash and burn after supper. More of it, please.

Working today. Wishing y'all a good one.

Grocery shelf and prices at Tesco in Kirkwall. Multiply by roughly 1.31 for amount in dollars.

456776846_10231565067410365_729569784164403556_n.jpg

Good morning folks. Cloudy and cool in the east.

Hurrying to work. Not much going on for me outside the office right now.

Austin, I don’t know what to make of those prices since I don’t buy many instant cookie, muffin or cake mixes. You could tell me any price from two to ten dollars was fair for a Betty Crocker cake mix and I’d believe it.

Have a good day folks.

Last edited:
Good morning all,

Working from home today. Do not plan to be back in DC until at least next Thursday. Taking some leave starting Friday through Wednesday. (I need it.)

My SIL (My Darlings older sister.) and BIL are coming for a visit Friday from Radcliff. Am really looking forward to it. Plan on showing them the town, taking them to some good food, and maybe hitting the Naval Recreation Center in Maryland for a day. (Heard the crab and croaker are biting.) Only about 80 miles away too. (We shall see.)

Hope your day today is special in a great way.

You have to do something when you retire. I am 77 and I still work, just fewer hours and only when I want to. My only real hobbies were sports and I am to old for that now. I guess working is my hobby now. Part of it is there were health related things, but I worked for ten years at a large plant and they said the average retiree there only lived 19 months. You have to stay busy.
I totally agree.

I retired at 53 and after I did most of my bucket list projects I ran for commissioner to "have something interesting to do". I found myself getting dumber. If you don't have to critically think you get dumb. So for 10 years I held office, the last 4 as Mayor and I got my thinker back up and running.

I have to have a project to function correctly.

Reactions: berniecarbo
Good morning folks. Cloudy and cool in the east.

Hurrying to work. Not much going on for me outside the office right now.

Austin, I don’t know what to make of those prices since I don’t buy many instant cookie, muffin or cake mixes. You could tell me any price from two to ten dollars was fair for a Betty Crocker cake mix and I’d believe it.

Have a good day folks.
I did a little work for you MdWildcat the same brand at WalMart in Bowling Green versus Tesco

..................................Ounces grams dollars pounds

WalMart. . . . . . . ...15.2 432.33 1.74 1.33

Tesco in Kirkwall. 14.99 425 3.92 3

My little spread sheet shows that the same brand is more than double the price in Scotland than U.S. What it means is that food is cheap in the U.S. compared to other places. The UK imports a big chunk of grains from Canada and Europe. Note they import very little U.S. grain because the mindset of Europeans is screw the U.S. They prefer anyone to the U.S.

I worked for CSX for 32 years. During part of that time we owned SeaLand a U.S. flagged shipping company. We were bared from hauling any U.S. products to the UK or Europe. We could haul European goods to the U.S. but not the other way. In shipping you need to balance or come as close to balance as possible loads in both direction. The EU made that impossible. I hated the bastards. CSX had to get rid of SeaLand because of the anti-American structure of the EU. Canada is nearly as bad. CSX served Sarnia, ON, a large Esso refinery. I could ship Esso products into the U.S., but I could not ship Exxon products into Canada.

Europe is glad to have the U.S. protect their asses through NATO, but commercially they stick us in the eye.

I did a little work for you MdWildcat the same brand at WalMart in Bowling Green versus Tesco

..................................Ounces grams dollars pounds

WalMart. . . . . . . ...15.2 432.33 1.74 1.33

Tesco in Kirkwall. 14.99 425 3.92 3

My little spread sheet shows that the same brand is more than double the price in Scotland than U.S. What it means is that food is cheap in the U.S. compared to other places. The UK imports a big chunk of grains from Canada and Europe. Note they import very little U.S. grain because the mindset of Europeans is screw the U.S. They prefer anyone to the U.S.

I worked for CSX for 32 years. During part of that time we owned SeaLand a U.S. flagged shipping company. We were bared from hauling any U.S. products to the UK or Europe. We could haul European goods to the U.S. but not the other way. In shipping you need to balance or come as close to balance as possible loads in both direction. The EU made that impossible. I hated the bastards. CSX had to get rid of SeaLand because of the anti-American structure of the EU. Canada is nearly as bad. CSX served Sarnia, ON, a large Esso refinery. I could ship Esso products into the U.S., but I could not ship Exxon products into Canada.

Europe is glad to have the U.S. protect their asses through NATO, but commercially they stick us in the eye.
Bert that is some impressive ciphering. I figured it would be higher in the UK, and anywhere in Europe. I'm not surprised by your experiences. In my days of traveling overseas I had friends from several European countries. Several were terrific colleagues but there always did seem to be a 'Little Brother' complex. It probably dates back to American GIs sleeping with all the women in England, France, Italy and Germany during and after WW2...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT