ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

Good morning folks. Happy Labor Day. A stunning day in the east —clear skies, cool, a nice breeze. Just perfect.

Got to spend yesterday evening with my daughter, her boyfriend and my in laws who had us all over for some really nice lasagna. My wife still in NYC with her aunt.

VH70 —Absolutely we used to catch those WEBN Labor Day fireworks. We’d always stake out a spot right down on the river on the Kentucky side very near where we knew the barge would end up from which the fireworks were launched. In my memory they started that tradition in the early-mid 1970s, about the end of my high school years. We’d make a day-long party out of it. I’m not sure I’ve been back to Kentucky for Labor Day since I moved to DC area in 79. I think the party my friends and brothers threw to watch the fireworks went on without me for several decades.

Heading down to the city to have lunch with a couple old foreign correspondent buddies from back in the day. You folks take it easy.

Last edited:
VH70 —Absolutely we used to catch those WEBN Labor Day fireworks. We’d always stake out a spot right down on the river on the Kentucky side very near where we knew the barge would end up from which the fireworks were launched. Party all day. In my memory they started that tradition in the early-mid 1970s, about the end of my high school years. We’d make a day-long party out of it.
I think it started in 75 or 76 as we took our 2-3 yrs old son to the Newport Floodwall to watch. No one knew what to expect. People were blown away by the size and show length. Nothing like it ever before. The finale noise & light was awesome. It went on for several minutes. Because what it would be was unknown, relatively light crowd that first year. That quickly changed.

It was a wide open event in the early years. Very little police presence, traffic control (Getting out could be a nightmare.). Recall sitting there and a group of 20's aged guys (Us still then too.) climbed up with a 1/4 barrel !! Laughed my tail off, but nobody thought anything as everyone had brought their own. Took 3 years or so for the authorities fully realized what a huge event it was & started putting in controls - reducing the fun of course. My Mom loved it. Several years we took her and sat practically on the riverbank.

For those that don't know, the concrete flood wall is 30-40' tall with grass covered embankments on both sides that are steep/tough to climb up. Installed after the record 1937 Flood. Ate up Newport's First Street.

I think it started in 75 or 76 as we took our 2-3 yrs old son to the Newport Floodwall to watch. No one knew what to expect. People were blown away by the size and show length. Nothing like it ever before. The finale noise & light was awesome. It went on for several minutes. Because what it would be was unknown, relatively light crowd that first year. That quickly changed.

It was a wide open event in the early years. Very little police presence, traffic control (Getting out could be a nightmare.). Recall sitting there and a group of 20's aged guys (Us still then too.) climbed up with a 1/4 barrel !! Laughed my tail off, but nobody thought anything as everyone had brought their own. Took 3 years or so for the authorities fully realized what a huge event it was & started putting in controls - reducing the fun of course. My Mom loved it. Several years we took her and sat practically on the riverbank.

For those that don't know, the concrete flood wall is 30-40' tall with grass covered embankments on both sides that are steep/tough to climb up. Installed after the record 1937 Flood. Ate up Newport's First Street.
It sounds like I caught the first 2-3 years of it before it was heavily organized or policed, especially on the Kentucky side. And yes, it was a pretty spectacular and intense show. Right up there with the best fireworks I've experienced. I moved to Miami in the late Spring of 1977, and on the DC in 1979. There may well have been a year or two in those early days when my fairly frequent trips back to Kentucky coincided with Labor Day.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT