ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

Played two coed softball games today. We lost both 11-8 and 9-5. We were in both games but blew it late. I have not played coed in years but the guy running our men's team has a coed team and was short 3 people. So, I brought an extra guy and the coach played so, that made just enough to not forfeit.

Not a banner day for me as I have not hit since last year and went 0-4 with 3 walks. Made a couple of errors in the first game but tightened up my D in the second. Since he was so short of players, I played SS, and he played 3rd. He is 62, our leftfielder was 61, and of course me at 66. Not the recipe for really competing against the youngsters. The rest of our people were 40 and under. Some 20-year-olds in the mix as well. Made some hard-to-get snags with the glove which felt good and the team saying they did not know old men could move like that.
I was used to playing competitive softball, but after I quit, the plant I worked at (a few thousand workers) got up a "company co-ed league " and the guys I worked around wanted to form a team, so I joined. One day I rounded third headed for home plate as hard as I could run. I could see out of the corner of my eye that the catcher was standing on home plate sightseeing. I figured if he was dumb enough to block the plate, I was dumb enough to run over him. When I got about 3 steps from the plate I realized it was a woman. I managed to pull up and not run over her, but pulled a leg muscle in doing so. It has bothered me off and on ever since.

If the Lord doesn't take me home, I am thoroughly going to enjoy tomorrow morning in a manner I cannot express properly.....yet. (If you have a mind, say a prayer for me.) I have to contain myself in a way I do not want to but I must. If I can pull it off properly I will hopefully give an older man a life-lesson. (We can all still learn, no matter our age.) (This guy just actually needs to be put in his place and, what I have to do, just may do it....)

No real surprises so far. Wagner, Z, Bradshaw, Edwards. A little surprised at Thiero but he may come back. Sheppard? I think Perry is a lock. Love the kid. Most likely next year will be full of portal players but that's the way of the world these days. I don't like it but this year may play to UK's advantage. Go Pope!

Good morning from ATX. Currently 71°F and cloudy. Slight chance for rain. High today may hit 83°F.

- Listened to Coach Brooks, Coach Pope and Coach Mingione last night. All were impressive. Enjoyable 2.5 hours.

- Baseball Cats at Cards, 6 pm tonight. Go Cats!

Wishing y'all an awesome day.

national-eggs-benedict-day--april-16.png

I was used to playing competitive softball, but after I quit, the plant I worked at (a few thousand workers) got up a "company co-ed league " and the guys I worked around wanted to form a team, so I joined. One day I rounded third headed for home
"Was a brown eyed handsome man, anyone could understand the way I feel"

Good morning folks.

A beautiful, cloudless, sunny and cool day in the east. I briefly took pilot lessons when I was a teenager, running out of money before I could get a license then getting too busy. But there was a term my instructor used that would apply today - CAVU, ceiling and visibility unlimited.

Back to the DC office, bouncing along on the subway. I got about a third done with the work mountain that accumulated last week. Need to dig faster today. Have a good one guys.

Good morning folks.

A beautiful, cloudless, sunny and cool day in the east. I briefly took pilot lessons when I was a teenager, running out of money before I could get a license then getting too busy. But there was a term my instructor used that would apply today - CAVU, ceiling and visibility unlimited.

Back to the DC office, bouncing along on the subway. I got about a third done with the work mountain that accumulated last week. Need to dig faster today. Have a good one guys.

I'm supposed to be back working in that vacinity soon though it is supposed to be at a minimal amount per pay period.

Good morning folks.

Hire a couple of moles, they have been reeking havoc in my yard.

Last edited:
Hire a couple of moles, they have been reeking havoc in my yard.
They invaded my sweet potato patch last year. This is only the second year that the;y have been here.....they must've destroyed 250-300 lbs of potatoes........they have already ruined about half of the onion sets I put out (4 lbs) and it looks like I will have to replant my potatoes also........

Anthem, by far the worst company I have ever dealt with. Can't wait to go on Medicare next year.
Careful for what you wish young man.....they can't be any worse that United Health Care......it took three years for them to release me from the Director's work policy and then the company that handled their company benefits with held the $300+ for three pay periods......$1,000 and she never got reimbursed for it....Kindred sold out the new bunch had a new benefits provider.......I told her to steal 1K of mask and gloves but she wouldn't.........

Careful for what you wish young man.....they can't be any worse that United Health Care......it took three years for them to release me from the Director's work policy and then the company that handled their company benefits with held the $300+ for three pay periods......$1,000 and she never got reimbursed for it....Kindred sold out the new bunch had a new benefits provider.......I told her to steal 1K of mask and gloves but she wouldn't.........
Ole faithful BCBS

To the Cards fans in here. Whitey Herzog has died. A giant of my childhood. Legend.
Interesting story for you. Whitey and Roger Maris were best friends when they both played in Kansas City. In the winter of 1961 after Roger had hit 61 homers, Whitey built a new house ( not had it built, actually built it himself). Whitey said without him asking, Roger Maris showed up first thing every morning with his tools and a lunch pail to help him build it. He said Roger would not accept any kind of payment.

They invaded my sweet potato patch last year. This is only the second year that the;y have been here.....they must've destroyed 250-300 lbs of potatoes........they have already ruined about half of the onion sets I put out (4 lbs) and it looks like I will have to replant my potatoes also........

Been lurking rather than posting and interacting, but saw this and thought I should share what I've heard works. Now this might piss you off... Human urine. Guy online swears by it. He splashed the holes and poured some little bit in each of their tunnels as best he could. Only had to do it once every couple months or after hard rains from what he said.

Doesn't have to be inundated with it. Just a little here and there supposedly. And no, I'm not messing with you. I'll be doing the same as we're starting to see some and will be planting soon.

Used to use Malathion to kill the grubs that the moles are after. Stunk like heck but used to be labeled to use around fruits and vegetables.) Treat your yard for grubs and the moles will leave. (Not sure what they use to do that now.) Some must be labeled to use around plants.

Man I took a new job. Supposed to start the 5th. (I know that is Sunday but that is how the pay system works.)

Never saw such a quietness in a long while... Caused some serious short tightening...but it won't make much difference until that breed is gone...incestuous.... All I ever wanted to do was good work and bring others with me or at least get the people I am around performing. Never asked for anything more...

My work time is short and I don't have time to take leadership with me and spend time convincing anyone right from wrong, "hoping" they change...
Good luck.

Good morning from ATX. Currently 73°F and cloudy. Today's high expected around 84°F.

Cats at Cards last night: what a slug-fest. Cats won 17-13. Led 10-2 and 17-7. at various times. Cards would not go away. I stayed up too late. Vols coming to Kentucky Proud Park this coming Friday-Sunday for a 3-game series.

Happy Hump Day, y'all.

national-cheeseball-day--april-17.png

Good morning folks. Another beautiful spring day in the east. Why can’t they all be clear and sunny and cool.

Settling back in to work. Another trip next week, to see my son in Texas, so I need to stay ahead of things.

I like the kid Pope picked up yesterday. Watched some video. He’s a baller and two years older than a typical freshman. Let’s get more good news today.

Saluting-Legionnaire.jpg

Morning Legionnaires!

59° this morning with light winds. High to be in the mid 80's.

Had 2 games with men's team last night, I pitched one and the other guy one. We went 1-1 and won one game by one and lost one game by one. We're number 1, well not really but, there were a lot of 1's in this paragraph so...a play on numbers.

My defense has been pretty good, but my bat has sucked so far. 0-4 with 3 walks in coed on Sunday and 0-2 with 2 walks last night. Need to work on my timing and placement. Hit the ball hard last night, but it was right at the second baseman and right fielder. Neither had to move to catch the ball.

Normal workout and monster walking this morning and training my one student this afternoon. Wax on wax off.

Hump day folks, so stoke those engines and get over the hump.

God Bless.

Last edited:
Hey folks,

I wanted to share the sad news that my mother passed away on Wednesday. We had a lovely service on Saturday, just the family of her five children, ten grandchildren and four great grandchildren. Everyone made it but one great-grandson who had just shipped out to Hawaii on his first post-boot camp assignment with the Marines. My kids and grandkids all converged from DC, Texas and Kansas City.

My mother grew up poor in Bracken County. She had a simple but noble vision for her life from early on, to love and care for my father and their children and to expand that caring to anyone else in our town who needed it. And she succeeded in every possible way.

She died peacefully, and with the faith that we’ll all be reunited someday. It’s toughest on my father but we are all struggling to deal with the loss.

Very sorry for your loss @MdWIldcat55
Glad you could all get together though, and hope it's many more years before you lose anyone else close to you.

How's everybody doing? Good I hope.

@cordmaker ... I made your slow cooker chicken/noodle on Sunday that you posted a few years ago. Have made it a number of times. Everybody here loves it. The Mrs. asked me....'now who gave you this recipe?'. So I told her. She said 'make sure you thank him and tell him how good it is'.

Carry on guys.

@cordmaker ... I made your slow cooker chicken/noodle on Sunday that you posted a few years ago. Have made it a number of times. Everybody here loves it. The Mrs. asked me....'now who gave you this recipe?'. So I told her. She said 'make sure you thank him and tell him how good it is'.

Carry on guys.

Chump...Sir. 😁 ... Show up more...

Carry on guys.
Welcome back sir!!!! Good to see you back here in the D!!! It is my favorite also!! Tell her she is welcome! That's a whole lot better than someone telling you, that stuff ain't worth a shiff!!!!😂😂😂😂😂

Hey folks,

I wanted to share the sad news that my mother passed away on Wednesday. We had a lovely service on Saturday, just the family of her five children, ten grandchildren and four great grandchildren. Everyone made it but one great-grandson who had just shipped out to Hawaii on his first post-boot camp assignment with the Marines. My kids and grandkids all converged from DC, Texas and Kansas City.

My mother grew up poor in Bracken County. She had a simple but noble vision for her life from early on, to love and care for my father and their children and to expand that caring to anyone else in our town who needed it. And she succeeded in every possible way.

She died peacefully, and with the faith that we’ll all be reunited someday. It’s toughest on my father but we are all struggling to deal with the loss.
Sorry, 55 that I haven't responded to you, but just know that I have been praying for your family! Mrs. M has really been sick since Monday, I'm just waiting for her to give me the word that she needs to go to urgent care! Glad I landed in the D, great bunch of guys, plus a couple knuckle heads!!

Saluting-Legionnaire.jpg

Morning Legionnaires!

59° this morning with light winds. High to be in the mid 80's.

Had 2 games with men's team last night, I pitched one and the other guy one. We went 1-1 and won one game by one and lost one game by one. We're number 1, well not really but, there were a lot of 1's in this paragraph so...a play on numbers.

My defense has been pretty good, but my bat has sucked so far. 0-4 with 3 walks in coed on Sunday and 0-2 with 2 walks last night. Need to work on my timing and placement. Hit the ball hard last night, but it was right at the second baseman and right fielder. Neither had to move to catch the ball.

Normal workout and monster walking this morning and training my one student this afternoon. Wax on wax off.

Hump day folks, so stoke those engines and get over the hump.

God Bless.
Would love to play softball again, my only problem is that I would have to somebody to play the field for me, can't run or bend over, can't throw the ball, have to have pinch hit for me, again can't run or swing a bat. I guess I could claim that I'm on the injured list!!

Sorry, 55 that I haven't responded to you, but just know that I have been praying for your family! Mrs. M has really been sick since Monday, I'm just waiting for her to give me the word that she needs to go to urgent care! Glad I landed in the D, great bunch of guys, plus a couple knuckle heads!!
Cord, I hope that all goes well for Mrs. M, and I'm sorry to hear she is sick.

Thanks for the thoughts and prayers directed to my mother and those of us who loved her.

And I can extend that to several who have reached out here. I appreciated everyone who mentioned my family in their posts.

Used to use Malathion to kill the grubs that the moles are after. Stunk like heck but used to be labeled to use around fruits and vegetables.) Treat your yard for grubs and the moles will leave. (Not sure what they use to do that now.) Some must be labeled to use around plants.

Been lurking rather than posting and interacting, but saw this and thought I should share what I've heard works. Now this might piss you off... Human urine. Guy online swears by it. He splashed the holes and poured some little bit in each of their tunnels as best he could. Only had to do it once every couple months or after hard rains from what he said.

Doesn't have to be inundated with it. Just a little here and there supposedly. And no, I'm not messing with you. I'll be doing the same as we're starting to see some and will be planting soon.
They couldn't breed the country genetics out of me.........I have a 7' privacy fence and no shame........you have given me a reason to be a day drinker......(besides not being able to stay up past 8 PM) I have found my calling........mole pisser!

I can't use poisons.......I raise ducks for the table and rabbits also....I also let my birds out to pick around on the ground.......

I resemble that remark Sir! (Twice...)

They couldn't breed the country genetics out of me.........I have a 7' privacy fence and no shame........you have given me a reason to be a day drinker......(besides not being able to stay up past 8 PM) I have found my calling........mole pisser!

Sir,

I could have went ALL day without knowing that.

Kind of am glad as at least I know not to eat anything out of YOUR garden...😅

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT