ADVERTISEMENT

What comes to mind for each of these seasons?

HeismaNole

Blue Chip Prospect
Nov 29, 2023
Let's take a trip down memory lane pre last regime.

First moment or game that comes to mind when you think of these seasons.

90s

2000s

Last edited:
That Sounds Like A Lot Of Work James GIF - That Sounds Like A Lot Of Work James Engvid GIFs

92- Unforgettables - Duke game
93- FSU blowout in Elite 8
94- Brassow tip in at the buzzer to win Maui
95- Cat scratch uniforms- Arkansas SEC Tourney
96- Denim unis
97- Blowing out Villanova at home, Mercer, Anderson injury
98- Duke comeback in Elite 8
99- Scott Padgett shot to force OT to beat Kansas in NCAA Tourney

2000s

2000- First round game against St. Bon
2001- SEC tourney dominance or USC loss
2002- Tayshaun Prince five threes against UNC
2003- Wade triple double but Fla game at home is the runner-up memory
2004- UAB
2005- Sparks' free throws to beat Louisville
2006- Almost beating No. 1 UConn in the second round- Sparks' 28
2007- Sheray Thomas mistake against Miss St.
2008- Gillispie is all. The blowout losses. But mostly just "Ah, a dark period of Billy."

I mostly think of losses mostly in the 2000s.

90s

2000s

92 - Toss-up between my first game @ Rupp. UK beat UL 103-89, and March 28, 1992
93 - Losing to Michigan in the Final Four
94 - Mardi Gras Miracle
95 - Beating Arkansas in the SEC Tournament
96 - National Champions
97 - Losing to Arizona
98 - Comeback Cats! UK over Duke
99 - I don't know why, but when I think of 1999 I think of Steve Masiello

2000 - John Stewart's death
2001 - Losing to USC in the tournament
2002 - Tayshaun from the K against UNC
2003 - Blowing out Florida at Rupp
2004 - Losing to UAB, begins the downfall of Tubby
2005 - Patrick Sparks' three
2006 - Losing to UConn, being done with Tubby
2007 - Losing to Kansas, wondering why Tubby was still here
2008 - 12-4 in the SEC, thinking Billy G. was on to something good
2009 - Billy G. is not an ambassador
2009-2020 - John Calipari rights the ship
2021-2024 - John Calipari overcorrected the ship and now the crew is dead
2024 - Mark Pope goes to work

90s

2000s

92. Laettner
93. Destroying our region
94. Maui/SEC tournament
95. SEC final
96. Tell me who's in the house tonight?
97. DA injury
98. Duke game
99. 2nd round vs Kansas

00. Was this year we won at UNC?
01. Was this the Tayshaun game?
02. Tayshaun vs Tulsa
03. The Streak
04 UAB
05. Sparks at Louisville
06 I got nothin
07. I got nothin
08. NIT UNLV
09. Meeks

A lot of great memories in the 90’s. My favorite time to be a fan. One I’ve not seen mentioned is UT beat us on a controversial play in Knoxville, where Allen Houston jumped over the free throw line too early to get offensive rebound put back. Then we proceeded to absolutely destroy them in the sec tournament 101-40 😂
Then we proceeded to destroy almost every one in the tournament including a good wake forest team that had Rodney Rogers, until Michigans big guards in final 4 bothered Travis Ford and Mashburn fouled out

92 - The shot
93 - UK 101, UT 40 in the SECT
94 - Brassow tip-in in Maui
95 - Riddick choking Wallace
96 - Cutting nets
97 - Miles F’n Simon
98 - cutting nets
99 - Beatdown of Steve Francis and Maryland
2000 - was a college freshman, too drunk to remember
2001 - see above
2002 - Team Turmoil
2003 - 26 game win streak
2004 - UAB
2005 - Sparks sends Elite 8 game to OT
2006 - Tubby’s fax machine
2007 - Scored 0 points in first 10 minutes of a game at Alabama
2008 - Is this guy drunk?
2009 - Meeks scores 54

92’—We’re back and screw Duke
93’—losing at UT and then a few days later stomping them into a pulp in the SECT and pretty much every team after until Michigan
94’—the comeback and then tournament disappointment.
95’—being super pissed about the UNC game.
96’—Euphoria
97’—Why did DA have to get hurt? Still made it to finals without arguably our best player. A repeat sure would have been nice though.
98’— Take that Duke! This Tubby guy is alright with me. Winning national championships is fun.
99’— Well, you probably can’t expect a natty or even a F4 every year. An E8 isn’t so bad for a down year.
2000. Hmmm. Not so sure about Tubby ball. Looking back I can’t help but wonder how the death of Stewart impacted the mindset of Tubby. As much as we love the game, compared to the life of a young man, it is really just a game.
01’—an extension of 2000.
02— team turmoil. Carruth running his mouth after the loss to MD. And of course, Prince going off against UNC.
03’—My favorite team not to win a title since the unforgettables. The early part of the season was less than impressive. At the beginning of the second half of the game at Vandy, it was like a switch got flipped. From that point until the Wisconsin game, they played as well at both ends as ANY college I have ever seen. Great basketball. Then we kind of changed our style against Wisconsin. Played slower. Smartly took advantage of our post dominance, but seemed out of sync. We won, but Bogans got hurt. Played on one leg against Marquette. Brogans had about 20 points because Marquette sagged off Bogans to shut everything else down. Bogans had no lateral movement on defense and Dwayne Wade was well, Dwayne Wade.
04’—probably Tubby’s best coaching job except in March. Daniels and Hayes made a nice forward tandem with their interior passing and old school savvy. Missed having a true post presence though. Upset in the second round.
05’. Recruiting picks up
06’. Tubby seems to have a hard time managing star recruits
07’. The end of Tubby Smith at UK.
08’—This wasn’t what I had in mind.
09’. Studio 54’. We all need a drink.

Reactions: MegaBlue05
92 - The shot
96 - Cutting nets
97 - Miles F’n Simon
98 - cutting nets
2001 - see above
2002 - Team Turmoil
2004 - UAB
2009 - Meeks scores 54
I remember the Meeks game.
BCG seemed disinterested about the whole thing.

92’—We’re back and screw Duke
93’—losing at UT and then a few days later stomping them into a pulp in the SECT and pretty much every team after until Michigan
94’—the comeback and then tournament disappointment.
95’—being super pissed about the UNC game.
96’—Euphoria
97’—Why did DA have to get hurt? Still made it to finals without arguably our best player. A repeat sure would have been nice though.
98’— Take that Duke! This Tubby guy is alright with me. Winning national championships is fun.
99’— Well, you probably can’t expect a natty or even a F4 every year. An E8 isn’t so bad for a down year.
2000. Hmmm. Not so sure about Tubby ball. Looking back I can’t help but wonder how the death of Stewart impacted the mindset of Tubby. As much as we love the game, compared to the life of a young man, it is really just a game.
01’—an extension of 2000.
02— team turmoil. Carruth running his mouth after the loss to MD. And of course, Prince going off against UNC.
03’—My favorite team not to win a title since the unforgettables. The early part of the season was less than impressive. At the beginning of the second half of the game at Vandy, it was like a switch got flipped. From that point until the Wisconsin game, they played as well at both ends as ANY college I have ever seen. Great basketball. Then we kind of changed our style against Wisconsin. Played slower. Smartly took advantage of our post dominance, but seemed out of sync. We won, but Bogans got hurt. Played on one leg against Marquette. Brogans had about 20 points because Marquette sagged off Bogans to shut everything else down. Bogans had no lateral movement on defense and Dwayne Wade was well, Dwayne Wade.
04’—probably Tubby’s best coaching job except in March. Daniels and Hayes made a nice forward tandem with their interior passing and old school savvy. Missed having a true post presence though. Upset in the second round.
05’. Recruiting picks up
06’. Tubby seems to have a hard time managing star recruits
07’. The end of Tubby Smith at UK.
08’—This wasn’t what I had in mind.
09’. Studio 54’. We all need a drink.
That 97 team was special.
Wish Derrick hadn't got hurt .

A lot of great memories in the 90’s. My favorite time to be a fan. One I’ve not seen mentioned is UT beat us on a controversial play in Knoxville, where Allen Houston jumped over the free throw line too early to get offensive rebound put back. Then we proceeded to absolutely destroy them in the sec tournament 101-40 😂
Then we proceeded to destroy almost every one in the tournament including a good wake forest team that had Rodney Rogers, until Michigans big guards in final 4 bothered Travis Ford and Mashburn fouled out
I agree. That was an era of good times.
You didn't come to Rupp to lose.
You came wondering how much you were going to lose by.
I think it was the 96 team that pummeled LSU at their place .

Reactions: sportspm
I agree. That was an era of good times.
You didn't come to Rupp to lose.
You came wondering how much you were going to lose by.
I think it was the 96 team that pummeled LSU at their place .
Yep, 86-42 at half time. I think we scored 117 for the game playing a lot of the bench in second half

92 - The shot
96 - Cutting nets
97 - Miles F’n Simon
98 - cutting nets
2001 - see above
2002 - Team Turmoil
2004 - UAB
2009 - Meeks scores 54
I forgot about the Maryland game against Steve Francis and I was at that game. It was in December. The next year we beat Michigan State eventual national champs at home too.

Riddick choking Wallace is burned into my memory. Game went to crap after that and we couldn’t hit a thing.

2005 will always be a memory. We were so darn good. Team built beautifully. Just couldn't rebound when it matter most. Crushing defeat. It hurt more than 2015 by a long shot. Imho

2005 will always be a memory. We were so darn good. Team built beautifully. Just couldn't rebound when it matter most. Crushing defeat. It hurt more than 2015 by a long shot. Imho
I loved that team too. That was a good team. We weren’t better than Illinois or UNC but good enough to make the final four. Had that game won too.

It’s like Michigan State and UConn always have our number in the tourney.

Reactions: crxohio
My first memory of Kentucky basketball was the umass game in the 95-96 season when they beat us. Not sure why it’s that game but I can remember where I was at when that game was on and can’t remember any other game from that season besides the final 4. I was 8

I loved that team too. That was a good team. We weren’t better than Illinois or UNC but good enough to make the final four. Had that game won too.

It’s like Michigan State and UConn always have our number in the tourney.
I remotely agree. But I think Illinois depth would of been a issue for them. Something we had. Now if you can remember, we were one play away or two from beating unc early in that season. We lost to state simply cause we couldn't rebound. One of my alltime fav teams.

Reactions: HeismaNole
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT