ADVERTISEMENT

Billy D (Timeline)

There’s a huge difference here. The last hire brought Wall, Boogie and Bledsoe, all of whom he had recruited and were coming with him. What stud players has BD recruited that will join him to make a great roster from day one?

Wall and Bledsoe hadn't committed to Memphis. Wall also recently said he wouldn't have played with Xavier Henry, who had committed to Memphis, but didn't come here.

Reactions: KYExtemper
I have to think that this is happening. Mitch wouldn’t just sit and wait for the Bulls’ season to end before bringing this up to Billy/his agents.
One would hope not.

I've been predicting Donovan as the next coach since the fall, so now we'll see if that is right!

Reactions: Cat_Man_Blue
Hey folks:

The Bulls are in 9th place and can’t move up to 8th.

They have to win 2 play in games to get the 8th seed.

It’s a longshot to get the 8th seed and a best of 7.

Better hope the game against Arkansas isn't at Rupp, when a team of DJ Wagner, Billy Richmond, Boogie Fland, Adou Thiero, Karter Knox, Jayden Quaintance and Big Z comes in a smacks around UK.
And who cares? Let Billy D have a chance to do something. Give him more than a season to build a team.

Hey folks:

The Bulls are in 9th place and can’t move up to 8th.

They have to win 2 play in games to get the 8th seed.

It’s a longshot to get the 8th seed and a best of 7.
It’s a big long shot, the Bulls are not good

Reactions: UKUGA
Hey folks:

Other coaches are literally snagging players in the portal NOW!

If you want to be a title contender in 2024-25, things better move VERY fast.

I'd rather wait for Billy and have a bad first year. I mean we've had a bad last 4 years with a coach who has been here forever and had top recruiting classes. I can stomach another bad year. No difference in winning 15 games and not making the tournament vs winning 25 and losing to Oakland.

Keep seeing people saying first year is a rebuild.

Bull fricken crap. We had a top ten team this year. Our last hire took us from a joke to number one before he even played a game.

He didn’t have the transfer portal to raid.

If you say next year is a rebuild, you’re just trying to justify that you ran cal out when we clearly didn’t have a reliable backup plan.

The last hire had a number one recruiting class in tow with him and a full team he was coming to. They had Patterson and Miller as returning players. Our "garbage time guys" included previous starters Perry Stevenson and Ramon Harris. There is a chance we will have zero incoming freshman and nobody still on our roster. Completely different situation.

Reactions: FrankUnderwoodX
This is where it gets hairy. Killing time for Donovan and it doesn’t work out. I don’t care what rules you have to break, need to talk to him, get a blood oath or something from that man if we’re going to wait on him.

Everything but the signature needs to be ready to go 10 minutes after the Bulls lose.

The fan base legit just ran off a coach because they were sick of him building a team every season. Now, you want to give a coach multiple years?
Yes because Billy D is the best available option he’s a 2x national champ. Of course you give him more than one season to do something. You act like he forgot how to coach

Do tell
i don’t want to give myself away. The people I know do know my screen name. But what the hell. A new position has been floated to Mitch. Basketball GM, ahead of scouting, NIL, and analytics. Totally separate from the coaching staff. It would be for sure trend setting and exactly what is needed in todays landscape.

This is here it gets hairy. Killing time for Donovan and it doesn’t work out. I don’t care what rules you have to break, need to talk to him, get a blood oath or something from that man if we’re going to wait on him.

Everything but the signature needs to be ready to go 10 minutes after the Bulls lose.
Agreed. Mitch better be damn sure Donovan is ours the day after his season ends in order to hold off on hiring others. We can’t really afford to wait around only to be turned down by Donovan (again).

Reactions: BlueRunner11
Time for Billy to give us the coveted "silent verbal"
Ole Billy The Kid's silent verbals doesn't carry too much weight. he stiffed before on the very thing. Could you imagine if he did it AGAIN, we wait for him until the end of April, he changes his mind ? Picture our starting 5 next year, uugggh.

I fail to see why he HAS to be done with the NBA before season before we can start anything. For instance he COULD take this job no matter what (Chicago isn;t going anywhere in these playoffs, nor are they poised for any sort of success anytime soon).. and then the Athletic Department can at least start reaching out to the recruits and current players, see who is interested in staying...

We don't HAVE to wait until Donovan steps foot on campus to get started here.

But, if we go this route.. we might just have to have a more "throw-away" season next year.
I agree with this.

Why can't he be announced as the UK coach WHILE finishing out the season with the Bulls?

If you feel like you have to start getting players right away, then offload that task to an assistant while Donovan is still coaching the Bulls.

Recruits and transfers would know who the UK coach is for next season, they just might not have a face-to-face meeting with him until after the Bulls are finished.

Why can't that work?

Reactions: JHannibalSmith
I agree with this.

Why can't he be announced as the UK coach WHILE finishing out the season with the Bulls?

If you feel like you have to start getting players right away, then offload that task to an assistant while Donovan is still coaching the Bulls.

Recruits and transfers would know who the UK coach is for next season, they just might not have a face-to-face meeting with him until after the Bulls are finished.

Why can't that work?
because that KILLS the will of the team and it ensures them losing. why play hard if your coach is already bailing on you type of thing. Also he'd lose a lot of respect in the basketball world for doing something like that ... If they werent making the playoffs then sure its fine but with a shot at the playoffs... thats just low class

Reactions: dl51344
because that KILLS the will of the team and it ensures them losing. why play hard if your coach is already bailing on you type of thing. Also he'd lose a lot of respect in the basketball world for doing something like that ... If they werent making the playoffs then sure its fine but with a shot at the playoffs... thats just low class

Perhaps the respect in NBA circle but everyone knows including the Bulls they got no shot.

To me there is a simple imediate exit for BD, assuming he wants the UK job. He goes to the GM and says, while the timing is not good, I want the UK job and this may be the last chance I will get to land this job.

If BD wants the UK job, you can bet he is not coming her to have a loosing season. The only way to acquire the kind of talent he will need, is get here immediately. IMHO

Reactions: IIIBradIII
Does it kill it any more than the rampant speculation that the coach might leave after the season?

Donovan is already on the hot seat in Chicago. You can't tell me that the players don't realize this.

These are supposed to be grown men. They can't play for a coach that they know is leaving to go elsewhere?

Billy D is very close personally to the Chicago Bulls owners Reinsdorf family. That could play a part in his decision.

Well the source of us thinking he wants the job is Pelphrey... and according to people Drew wanted the job so how about we for once not take that as fact unless it comes straight from the coaches mouth first
Drew did want the job but his family didn’t and that’s been reported

Reactions: EliteBlue
The last hire had a number one recruiting class in tow with him and a full team he was coming to. They had Patterson and Miller as returning players. Our "garbage time guys" included previous starters Perry Stevenson and Ramon Harris. There is a chance we will have zero incoming freshman and nobody still on our roster. Completely different situation.

You’re correct. Completely different situation. This coach has the benefit of portal, NIL and a legacy returnee.

You’re using cal success as a way to say the next coach won’t be as good 😂

Ole Billy The Kid's silent verbals doesn't carry too much weight. he stiffed before on the very thing. Could you imagine if he did it AGAIN, we wait for him until the end of April, he changes his mind ? Picture our starting 5 next year, uugggh.
Which of the remaining second tiers hires to you see giving us a great lineup next season?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT