ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

Ready for baseball season...

I wish I was.... i lost all interest and probably five or so years ago i played in five or six full fantasy baseball leagues. Had two leagues I set up and they are still going. I got invited back last season but did not. I keep saying to myself, sports lost me, I didn't lose them......sigh...

God save the Kentucky Wildcats basketball team (Me) from this same fate...

Last edited:
It is simple.......it is just lines and measurements............and you are allowed to use a straight edge to draw your lines........don't need any skills.....or at least that is the way it seems to me!

Man, I just bought a set of cutters for my drill. have to do some serious and neat trimming. Made the BB a playroom for his Lego's and have some hard board I need to cut correctly. I couldn't do it neatly with the reciprocating saw. (All the saw I have now...) I have a Dremel tool as well but need some sort of guide to stay straight.

Bought these if they ever get here...

81ssGhcOLKL._AC_SX425_.jpg

That boy likes his Lego's... I put those pieces down for him in the interim...

428617131_7843409349005910_7424990894064927235_n.jpg

Plan to make him an L-shaped area around the walls and maybe a small middle section he can move around...

Last edited:
One thing I've learned about myself over the years...no one will ever confuse me with a skilled finishing carpenter.
I never learned to do many things well. I was born to be an MLB player, but Viet Nam and then booze got in the way, plus I couldn't hit a curve ball to save my soul. Uncle Sam taught me enough about security work that I was offered a number of jobs, but being a cop held no interest for me. That left me stumbling along with the Lord helping me out despite my lack of abilities.

Good morning from ATX. Currently 62°F and cloudy. Clearing later for a high of 75°F. Warm yesterday. Our high reached 79°F. Walked for about an hour in shorts.

Seeing radiation doctor this AM. Short visit. Must give disposition via phone at noon regarding a legal case about crap that happened years ago.

Happy Hump Day, y'all.

Edit: Go Cats! Beat Tigers.

Cue Cheech and Chong. If you know, you know.

DWhissgVoAA1dAj.jpg
Good luck to you Austin. My Mom just finished her 5th chemo yesterday. One to go. At 89 it's been tough but she's doing well.

Good morning folks. Happy Friday. I hope everyone has a nice weekend planned.

Some bad news in our family -- my wife's aunt who had suffered the fall has died, or more accurately the decision was made to let her pass by disconnecting the equipment. She was in her 80s and a vital woman - had been a marathon runner back when that was less common. Slipped and fell entering her house and suffered such severe head trauma she could not be saved.

It's been said a million times and I'm not adding anything new here, but as Warren Zevon put it, "enjoy every sandwich." My wife is planning to go to NYC for the funeral. I have a medical procedure scheduled late next week which will likely be a conflict.

Have a great day guys.

Some bad news in our family -- my wife's aunt who had suffered the fall has died, or more accurately the decision was made to let her pass by disconnecting the equipment. She was in her 80s and a vital woman - had been a marathon runner back when that was less common. Slipped and fell entering her house and suffered such severe head trauma she could not be saved.

It's been said a million times and I'm not adding anything new here, but as Warren Zevon put it, "enjoy every sandwich." My wife is planning to go to NYC for the funeral. I have a medical procedure scheduled late next week which will likely be a conflict.

Have a great day guys.

God's comfort to you and your family MdW... :(

Have a great day guys.
So sorry MD. Thoughts and prayers.

Us folks from Poultland went on to settle Lexington because Flower smelled better?
640513e6ad28c.image.jpg

Sir Richard Steele Captain Andrew Steele

1-mallard-duck-family-jan-holden.jpg

xtfykbxunvxfhnx26v5v

Roger
and
ae8f411c-untitled-design-12.jpg

Larry
I played HS football against Roger Bird.

I beat Larry Bird in a game of HORSE once. Well ... maybe not. My memory gets kinda fuzzy sometimes.

But I definitely remember the Bird:

Me supper...

Steamed beef, onions, and....stuff... My Darling made those skins too....

392887618_7843409895672522_2655711549485740848_n.jpg
My friend Charlie who owns the Chinese restaurant in Radcliff, KY knows how I love steamed dumplings.......he make the best around here for sure......I get a heaping bag full every two weeks when he comes to Louisville to by feed for his pigeons. When I visit his establishment I get a plate of fried frog legs, a plate of steamed dumplings and a plate of fried wantons..........when my buddies go down to eat lunch they are always surprised at table service in a buffet.....but only when I am with them.......he will visit with them but no specials......everyday is seafood day when Pigeon Grandfather comes to visit..... 😉

I never learned to do many things well. I was born to be an MLB player, but Viet Nam and then booze got in the way, plus I couldn't hit a curve ball to save my soul. Uncle Sam taught me enough about security work that I was offered a number of jobs, but being a cop held no interest for me. That left me stumbling along with the Lord helping me out despite my lack of abilities.
I don't know if I would have been Major League good, but I think I would have at least gotten a scholarship to college had I been allowed to play. My stepfather started working us (one of my brothers and me) when I was 12 and he was 11. After school if he was around, he would pick us up and we would work (drywall) that evening and every weekend and summer. Child labor (paid us pennies on the dollar). Did not allow us to get to organized sports much. We played in peanut leagues and little leagues until he made us stop to work.

I don't know if I would have been Major League good, but I think I would have at least gotten a scholarship to college had I been allowed to play. My stepfather started working us (one of my brothers and me) when I was 12 and he was 11. After school if he was around, he would pick us up and we would work (drywall) that evening and every weekend and summer. Child labor (paid us pennies on the dollar). Did not allow us to get to organized sports much. We played in peanut leagues and little leagues until he made us stop to work.
My dad was a very good handyman, but he was the opposite in that he let and encouraged me to play ball instead of making me learn how to fix things. I think it was because he was the oldest kid in the family during the Depression and had to quit school in the third grade and work to help support the family. The last year I played at 37 after 3 operations on my left leg, I could no longer step into a swing forcefully enough, so my power was gone, but a 25 year college coach said I was the best third baseman he had ever seen.

My dad was a very good handyman, but he was the opposite in that he let and encouraged me to play ball instead of making me learn how to fix things. I think it was because he was the oldest kid in the family during the Depression and had to quit school in the third grade and work to help support the family. The last year I played at 37 after 3 operations on my left leg, I could no longer step into a swing forcefully enough, so my power was gone, but a 25 year college coach said I was the best third baseman he had ever seen.

My Dad worked me regularly as well. Dad only had a sixth grade education and could barely sign his own name but he tried, he drank and he tried. Dad and Mom did the best they could I guess. Dad and Mom divorced after I moved out at 16 the day I got my driver's license. (They were in their late 50s by then or early 60's after 29 years of marriage.) Dad remarried a woman my age. Her nickname was Crow (From Middlesboro, actually probably Harrogate or Sewanee TN,.. I guess she's still there living off his VA pension and whatever else she can pilfer...

I had a try out with the Tigers and did well but they scouted me (From Legion ball) and I had the Tiger manager (Houk at the time) tell me "My last name", for ten games you can play with anyone, after that you ain't worth shit..." His words... (I was raking during my tryout at Old Tiger Stadium, I was in awe and still did well.. as well as I could...)

I never had any legs. I walked okay and still do and I am thankful but getting up to serious exercising them and they always fail me. I played in a couple softball games with a church league of some sort, they were the heavy hitters as most looked like major leaguers or was beens. The last I guess was when I was in San Antonio, I played two games as I was a player coach, I think then I was 51 or 52. I went nine for nine... (I had no power then and knew it but my hand-eye coordination was off the charts. Always has been, I could hit anything at any speed that I could reach.)

Oh well, I am thankful, I have had it real good for the last 39 or so years since I met My Darling.... The Lord HAS blessed me abundantly...

I just typed this out while reminiscing... May delete it... God Bless you D-Leaguers...

Had me look up an older picture.. This is I think October 1991 as that is my youngest dressed up for her first birthday. My Dad was 6'1" I could never get 6 foot in the Army, Always 5'11"... (We lived in Radcliff at the time.) Dad, his wife and her kids were visiting. Stayed a week I think...

153547264_4259915770688637_3533844545508455151_n.jpg

Last edited:
My Dad worked me regularly as well. Dad only had a sixth grade education and could barely sign his own name but he tried, he drank and he tried. Dad and Mom did the best they could I guess. Dad and Mom divorced after I moved out at 16 the day I got my driver's license. (They were in their late 50s by then or early 60's after 29 years of marriage.) Dad remarried a woman my age. Her nickname was Crow (From Middlesboro, actually probably Harrogate or Sewanee TN,.. I guess she's still there living off his VA pension and whatever else she can pilfer...

I had a try out with the Tigers and did well but they scouted me (From Legion ball) and I had the Tiger manager (Houk at the time) tell me "My last name", for ten games you can play with anyone, after that you ain't worth shit..." His words... (I was raking during my tryout at Old Tiger Stadium, I was in awe and still did well.. as well as I could...)

I never had any legs. I walked okay and still do and I am thankful but getting up to serious exercising them and they always fail me. I played in a couple softball games with a church league of some sort, they were the heavy hitters as most looked like major leaguers or was beens. The last I guess was when I was in San Antonio, I played two games as I was a player coach, I think then I was 51 or 52. I went nine for nine... (I had no power then and knew it but my hand-eye coordination was off the charts. Always has been, I could hit anything at any speed that I could reach.)

Oh well, I am thankful, I have had it real good for the last 39 or so years since I met My Darling.... The Lord HAS blessed me abundantly...

I just typed this out while reminiscing... May delete it... God Bless you D-Leaguers...
In my business heyday, I had quite a number of customers. At the time there was a pro softball league going on and Louisville had a team. One of my customers was a lady who had a lamp shop in Louisville. One day her husband came with her. He played on the Louisville pro team. He must have been 6'8 or 9 and at least 250-260. Looked like he could hit a softball a country mile.

Good morning from ATX. Currently 51°F and clear. Expecting 78°F for today's high.

Game Day. Tide gonna be tough. Go Cats! Tip at 3 CST

Check it out: Baseball Cats vs my other Alma Mater, Texas State (Southwest Texas State) Bobcats. Game starts 5 pm. at Dell Diamond in Round Rock. I may attend and just stream end of Tide/Cats on my phone. Stay tuned.

Edit: Baseball plays at 4 pm CST. Forgot about time difference. Might watch basketball and then head to Dell Diamond for the baseball game. Baseball Cats play Kansas Jayhawks tomorrow at noon central.

Wishing all a winning Saturday.

national-tortilla-chip-day--february-24.png

Last edited:
Not much else in the handy man department as he (my stepfather) grew up with his father doing just drywall. He self-contracted and thought that me and my brothers (3 of us) and 1 half-brother (his son) would form a company. He was pissed at me when I (2months out of high school) joined the army. The youngest of my full brothers got in trouble a lot and wound up in foster homes and my stepfather's son wound up in jail a few times before his wife straightened him out. The only one who worked with him for a while is the one brother who was a year younger than me, but he eventually quit as he still did not pay him well.

All of them however continued to work drywall albeit just not with him. They too started self-contracting with one finally deciding to work at a plant (can't remember name of plant) that built SUV frames for Ford and other companies. He is the only one (other than me) that actually has some money put away for retirement. Joining the army was the best move I made to get out of there.

Last edited:

Had me look up an older picture.. This is I think October 1991 as that is my youngest dressed up for her first birthday. My Dad was 6'1" I could never get 6 foot in the Army, Always 5'11"... (We lived in Radcliff at the time.) Dad, his wife and her kids were visiting. Stayed a week I think...

153547264_4259915770688637_3533844545508455151_n.jpg
Played a lot of softball in the army and also here in Oklahoma (still do). I have about 11 or 12 state titles with teams I have played with here. Played with a traveling team in Germany (Salsa was the name) and was the only non-Hispanic player on the team as a friend from Costa Rico told those guys that they should bring me aboard even though they wanted to remain an all-Hispanic team. They tried me out and all agreed they would make this exception.

Played baseball for Ft. Campbell back when they had post baseball teams and we played in a league that played against local small colleges and other city teams. I played 3rd base mainly, and on occasion, second when needed. 1 year we finished 30-2 for the year. Sadly, not long after, the army quit playing baseball and just did softball. Played on a post team or two of those.

Played a lot of softball in the army and also here in Oklahoma (still do). I have about 11 or 12 state titles with teams I have played with here. Played with a traveling team in Germany (Salsa was the name) and was the only non-Hispanic player on the team as a friend from Costa Rico told those guys that they should bring me aboard even though they wanted to remain an all-Hispanic team. They tried me out and all agreed they would make this exception.

Played baseball for Ft. Campbell back when they had post baseball teams and we played in a league that played against local small colleges and other city teams. I played 3rd base mainly, and on occasion, second when needed. 1 year we finished 30-2 for the year. Sadly, not long after, the army quit playing baseball and just did softball. Played on a post team or two of those.
Sounds like you made good decisions.

Have a great day guys.
Praying for your family, I am a day late on this, but a prayer for comfort is never late!

I played some fast pitch softball. We went undefeated one year, but we had a great pitcher. He had once beaten The King and His Court (Eddie Feigner). You get a really good pitcher in fast pitch and you don't need much else. He would let us hit it in batting practice, but sometimes I would get a little to big for my britches and he would show me the reality of things.

I played some fast pitch softball. We went undefeated one year, but we had a great pitcher. He had once beaten The King and His Court (Eddie Feigner). You get a really good pitcher in fast pitch and you don't need much else. He would let us hit it in batting practice, but sometimes I would get a little to big for my britches and he would show me the reality of things.

Fast pitch softball is about the best there is going. That thing comes out of no where.... (Never played any of that but had a chance to watch some up close.)

Edit:
Had to take a look...

Softball pitch speed...

An excerpt;

..."In a 1967 exhibition at Dodger Stadium in Los Angeles, Mr. Feigner faced a lineup of six Major League Baseball players (five of whom were later elected to the National Baseball Hall of Fame). He struck out all six -- Willie Mays, Roberto Clemente, Brooks Robinson, Willie McCovey, Maury Wills and Harmon Killebrew -- in succession."...

Last edited:
Fast pitch softball is about the best there is going. That thing comes out of no where.... (Never played any of that but had a chance to watch some up close.)
Feigner once struck out Mays, Aaron and I think Frank Robinson in a row at an All Star weekend exhibition. Our pitcher could throw it by you and make it rise. Sink, or go in or out at will. I batted against a few guys who went on to pro ball (no stars), but this guy was easily the hardest to hit.

Edit:
Had to take a look...

Softball pitch speed...

An excerpt;

..."In a 1967 exhibition at Dodger Stadium in Los Angeles, Mr. Feigner faced a lineup of six Major League Baseball players (five of whom were later elected to the National Baseball Hall of Fame). He struck out all six -- Willie Mays, Roberto Clemente, Brooks Robinson, Willie McCovey, Maury Wills and Harmon Killebrew -- in succession."...
I was going by memory on my list, but perhaps he put on more than one exhibition. He would normally pitch an inning from second base and an inning blindfolded at times.

Last edited:
I just read he was clocked at 104 and that is from 46 feet instead of the MLB 60.

Yes Sir, when I mentioned before of not being able to see it coming is exactly why. Just amazing what you cannot see from an under-hand fast pitched softball. That is wicked thrown from the right person. Saw some pretty decent girls fast pitchers as well. That motion puts no stress on the arm either.

Yes Sir, when I mentioned before of not being able to see it coming is exactly why. Just amazing what you cannot see from an under-hand fast pitched softball. That is wicked thrown from the right person. Saw some pretty decent girls fast pitchers as well. That motion puts no stress on the arm either.
Yeah, I was reading about some girl college pitcher throwing at 70 striking out some MLB players. Feigner threw 50% faster. He pitched till he had a stroke at 75. They say modesty was not one of his virtues.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT