ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

How many here on this thread watch the American Heros Channel AHC and the WW1&2 shows and the Vietnam shows? I Think I've seen them all , at least twice. There are some amazing videos.

Anyway, stay sharp D-Ler's, you never know when this bunch will show up 👽👽👽👽👽👽
Watch AHC every now and then. Indeed, some awesome clips.

By the way, I'm heading to Nolin Lake week of 24-28 April.

Good morning from ATX. Currently 65°F and cloudy. Winds from the north gusting to 20 mph. Today's high may reach 70°F.

Kitchen remodel, Day 4. Mess continues. *groan*. At least I can close my office door.

Currently Austin Police Department has 281 vacancies. Local crime obviously increased. Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS) plans on augmenting various APD staff shortages. Many folks should feel safer.

Wishing all an awesome day.

National-Black-Forest-Cake-Day-March-28.jpg.webp

Saluting-Legionnaire.jpg

MORNING D-LEGIONNAIRES!

39° this morning with light winds. Today's high to be in the mid 50's. Did not get to the freezing mark last night as predicted, but it will try again tonight.

Wife had a FedEx package delivered last night late. I had already gone to bed, and she was getting ready to join me and just checked her email prior to coming to bed and had a notice of delivery at around 22:15. Did not know they delivered that late outside of the Christmas season and we have never had one delivered so late even then. That late for many would give porch pirates more time and better cover (although we have camera's installed) since it is dark.

Playing Mr. Miyagi late this morning and then on to Sam's for dog food and treats. Wife found out I was going and is making a list of things she wants, and it is growing by the minute. Honey do (not dew) being the order of the day.

Yous guys enjoy your day and God Bless.

Good morning D

We have a dense fog that will burn off around 10:00 AM. 67° currently and the high will reach 84°. 3& chance of rain. Our breeze will continue at 14 mph.

@cordmaker we are thankful for the good report on the Mrs. God answers prayers.

I have several "Easter Packages" to mail out and some other odds and ends to complete. Trust all have a pleasant day.

iu

Good morning from ATX. Currently 65°F and cloudy. Winds from the north gusting to 20 mph. Today's high may reach 70°F.

Kitchen remodel, Day 4. Mess continues. *groan*. At least I can close my office door.

Currently Austin Police Department has 281 vacancies. Local crime obviously increased. Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS) plans on augmenting various APD staff shortages. Many folks should feel safer.

Wishing all an awesome day.

National-Black-Forest-Cake-Day-March-28.jpg.webp
Filling shortages by lowering standards? What could possibly go wrong?

Good morning folks.

Cord, glad for that happy news about your wife.

Springtime in the east. Looking for a chance, maybe Friday if the weather is good, to slip over near the Jefferson Memorial and the Tidal Basin to see the cherry blossoms. I've lived in this area nearly 45 springs and I never get tired of that. If you hit it with perfect timing, and on a weekday when it isn't mobbed, it really is like walking through some exotic landscape that feels it is of another world.

Things are cooking along otherwise. Busy time at work. Hope you all have a good day.

Each day I become more amazed at where we are as a nation. So today I take some packages to the USPS to mail. I had three and the total bill was $40.35. No problem until I reached in my pocket and handed the lady a $50.00 bill. She says the post office does not take $50.00 bills.

What? You are telling me the United States of America issues $50 bills and a government agency will not accept them? Is that what you are telling me. She said they prefer credit cards. I told her the $50 bill was useless then. She went to see her manager and came back with an answer they would make an exception. She gave me back $9.55 in change and a receipt.

Are they trying to phase out money?

Each day I become more amazed at where we are as a nation. So today I take some packages to the USPS to mail. I had three and the total bill was $40.35. No problem until I reached in my pocket and handed the lady a $50.00 bill. She says the post office does not take $50.00 bills.

What? You are telling me the United States of America issues $50 bills and a government agency will not accept them? Is that what you are telling me. She said they prefer credit cards. I told her the $50 bill was useless then. She went to see her manager and came back with an answer they would make an exception. She gave me back $9.55 in change and a receipt.

Are they trying to phase out money?
You got a widget I want and I have twenty bucks you want. We trade and no one but me and you know about it. If it goes through a credit card or something similar, then plenty of other people know. The gov might know and might use that kind of power to encourage or discourage your behavior.

Good morning from ATX. Currently 56°F and cloudy. Today's high may reach 70°F. No rain yet. Could receive some over next few days.

Compression socks = great invention. No more night-time leg cramps.

Kitchen remodel Day 5 complete. Dusty mess continues.

Co-worker out next three days. Hope all is quiet in our queue. Wishing all an awesome Happy Hump Day.

vietnam-war-veterans-day.jpg

Is that a knife with the strap, what are the holes for?
Yes. I assume for improved finger grip.

Found all these items sitting on a support column ledge over at Chinatown. I even waited ~10 minutes after first discovery in the event owner forgot them. Picked up on my return trip.

Saluting-Legionnaire.jpg

MORNING D-LEGIONNAIRES!

39° this morning with a high of 66° on tap. Winds will be moderate (15-20 mph) which is normal for this state. Almost always good kite flying winds here. Most of the time you only need hold them up in the wind and let them go. No running required. For the almost lazy people (you have to make the effort to get out).

Bat Cats continue to swing away and win. Yes, their 17-game win streak was broken the other day, but they won again last night so... Told my wife if we ever get enough money for her to retire early, we will move close to around the Lexington area 30-50 miles out in the sticks somewhere but close enough where I could go to games (baseball, basketball, and football) during the seasons. We have spent a few weekends just looking at property around the surrounding area and she is sold on the idea. Plus, I could get in a few Reds and Bengals games too. Ahhhh, heaven.

You folks working get out there and get over that Hump today and God Bless.

Saluting-Legionnaire.jpg

MORNING D-LEGIONNAIRES!

39° this morning with a high of 66° on tap. Winds will be moderate (15-20 mph) which is normal for this state. Almost always good kite flying winds here. Most of the time you only need hold them up in the wind and let them go. No running required. For the almost lazy people (you have to make the effort to get out).

Bat Cats continue to swing away and win. Yes, their 17-game win streak was broken the other day, but they won again last night so... Told my wife if we ever get enough money for her to retire early, we will move close to around the Lexington area 30-50 miles out in the sticks somewhere but close enough where I could go to games (baseball, basketball, and football) during the seasons. We have spent a few weekends just looking at property around the surrounding area and she is sold on the idea. Plus, I could get in a few Reds and Bengals games too. Ahhhh, heaven.

You folks working get out there and get over that Hump today and God Bless.
My wife's childhood home fits your description of 30-50 miles out in the sticks. She was from Estill County and the county seat is Irvine. It is on the Kentucky River and was founded as a railroad town. Nobody would mess with you and if they did you could handle it.

The only problem in that area and other rural counties surrounding the area is the drug problem. It is out of control. That is a huge problem in Eastern Kentucky but also about every other place in America.

iu

iu

Good morning D-League.

The Kentucky recruits looked good in the McD AA game last night. Wagner was MVP after taking over in the second half and overcoming a double-digit deficit for the win. Edwards and Bradshaw looked like guys at the upper half of the run of nice players Cal had between 2010-2017. Reed had some moments - looks like a guy who can be what we thought Fredrick might be, a competent back-up at both guard positions.

yeah, I know. A high school all star game. But these kids clearly were playing hard and trying to win. And talent is talent. At a minimum a little hope in a low period for Kentucky hoops.

Hope all you folks have a good day.

Last edited:
Good Morning

Another pleasant day ahead with a temperature now of 59° as we creep up to 84°. Not much happening other than a day we have been looking forward to for a long time.

A Chicken Salad Chick Restaurant has a grand opening today in our little town. We finally made the big time. I had to drive either to Ocala or Clearwater to eat in one before but now it will be just down the road. You know where I am going today, Happy Days are here again.

I trust all are well and in good spirits and health.

iu

5b44461068f31.jpg

Good Morning

Another pleasant day ahead with a temperature now of 59° as we creep up to 84°. Not much happening other than a day we have been looking forward to for a long time.

A Chicken Salad Chick Restaurant has a grand opening today in our little town. We finally made the big time. I had to drive either to Ocala or Clearwater to eat in one before but now it will be just down the road. You know where I am going today, Happy Days are here again.

I trust all are well and in good spirits and health.

iu

5b44461068f31.jpg
You know Sawnee, the humble chicken salad sandwich executed with skill and generosity on just the right kind of bread, is an under-appreciated high point in American culture. And the option to get it with bacon is a bonus. Looks like you might have a new go-to spot!

My wife's childhood home fits your description of 30-50 miles out in the sticks. She was from Estill County and the county seat is Irvine. It is on the Kentucky River and was founded as a railroad town. Nobody would mess with you and if they did you could handle it.

The only problem in that area and other rural counties surrounding the area is the drug problem. It is out of control. That is a huge problem in Eastern Kentucky but also about every other place in America.

iu

iu
My daughter had a golf tournament over there last year and it was my first time in Estill County. It's a very pretty area. What's funny was that some sort of train festival was going on that day and they would blow a train horn every few minutes. I couldn't tell you how many bad shots I saw because in the middle of their swing a loud horn would blow and cause them to shank it. 😂😂

My daughter had a golf tournament over there last year and it was my first time in Estill County. It's a very pretty area. What's funny was that some sort of train festival was going on that day and they would blow a train horn every few minutes. I couldn't tell you how many bad shots I saw because in the middle of their swing a loud horn would blow and cause them to shank it. 😂😂
Hell that would probably help my game!

Creed: That would actually make watching golf more interesting to me. We ask 16-year old high school kids to sink a critical free throw with hundreds of fans howling, screaming, waving stuff and causing every imaginable distraction. But if someone accidentally sneezes during a professional golf tournament some 32-year-old acts like its an assassination attempt.

There should be stands on both sides of a PGA tee, and ringing the putting green. Let people bring whistles, horns, giant signs to wave. Now that, I'd watch!

You know Sawnee, the humble chicken salad sandwich executed with skill and generosity on just the right kind of bread, is an under-appreciated high point in American culture. And the option to get it with bacon is a bonus. Looks like you might have a new go-to spot!
Chicken salad has been a part of the South for many generations. Adding a few slices of bacon just make it better. The franchise started in Auburn, AL by a couple that sold their product going door to door. Sounds like a lot like how the Colonel got started.

I had never thought of a chicken salad restaurant but this one is good and very, very successful. It started in 2008 and now has 280 (281 as of today) in 19 states. The American Dream still lives in the hearts of those who go to work and just do it.

It is truly a railroad town. Ravenna was built by the L & N Railroad. Estill County High School is named the "Engineers" and a train is their mascot.

It is truly a railroad town. Ravenna was built by the L & N Railroad. Estill County High School is named the "Engineers" and a train is their mascot.

Ravenna looks a lot like the town I grew up back in the 1960s and 1970s. Town maxed out at around 1,000 people in that era. It was built by C&O Railroad at the turn of the 20th Century. Our high school nickname was The Big Trains. Sadly, the school is closed, the town has lost a little bit of population, but my parents are still there.

Here's a video someone did - likely way more than anyone wants to watch - the speaker is the aunt of a kid in my high school class, so that gives you some idea of the size of the town. (If you want to jump ahead, at EXACTLY 7:32-7:34 the video skims past my parents' house...lol.)

Ravenna looks a lot like the town I grew up back in the 1960s and 1970s. Town maxed out at around 1,000 people in that era. It was built by C&O Railroad at the turn of the 20th Century. Our high school nickname was The Big Trains. Sadly, the school is closed, the town has lost a little bit of population, but my parents are still there.

Here's a video someone did - likely way more than anyone wants to watch - the speaker is the aunt of a kid in my high school class, so that gives you some idea of the size of the town. (If you want to jump ahead, at EXACTLY 7:32-7:34 the video skims past my parents' house...lol.)

Silver Grove could be a bigger version of Smiths Grove.

Here is an old picture of the L&N Depot in Smiths Grove:
338848785_474429764812590_2899865787647795749_n.jpg

I was born and raised 10 miles north of here in Park City, an even smaller town.

Creed: That would actually make watching golf more interesting to me. We ask 16-year old high school kids to sink a critical free throw with hundreds of fans howling, screaming, waving stuff and causing every imaginable distraction. But if someone accidentally sneezes during a professional golf tournament some 32-year-old acts like its an assassination attempt.

There should be stands on both sides of a PGA tee, and ringing the putting green. Let people bring whistles, horns, giant signs to wave. Now that, I'd watch!

Happy Golf...

Who'd a thunk it...

giphy.gif

😅 Apollo, Apollo, Apollo...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT