ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

Good morning from ATX. Currently 45°F and cloudy. Windy. Late spring front moved in. We received more rain overnight and a little this morning. We may reach 57°F for today's high.

Ha ha, eventful first day of March Madness yesterday. Read only 787 brackets out of millions filled out remain complete. Go Cats! Let's make some noise!

Feel much better this morning, Mouth pain subsided quite a bit. Hoping for less pain over the weekend. If so, then I might just make culinary delights.

Wishing all Happy Friday and Happy St. Patrick's Day.

Today is National Corned Beef and Cabbage Day. Unsure if image properly renders.

Corned-Beef-and-Cabbage-Day.jpg

This image should.

Good morning D-League.

Game day. I hope not the last one this year.

I stayed up to watch NKU. A good performance that could have been an earth-shaking upset if their shots had fallen at even an average rate.

I don’t blame them for taking that many 3s, including lots of bad ones. They were not big or athletic enough to get to the rim and the other available shot was a long 2. And given how exhausted their starters were I’m not surprised at how many they missed. They just needed to get lucky on a few more of them and it didn’t happen.

We’ll see how today unfolds. Hope it is a good one for everybody.

I was thinking of some of the wildlife pictures posted on here and it reminded me of something. For 12 years I worked at the "atomic plant" near Paducah. It was built in a secluded area in land owned by the federal gov. Hunting was allowed in season, but not near the perimeter fence around the plant. Come deer season and you would see herds of 30 or more deer huddled near the fence. Over time, they learned the fence line was a safe space. When season was not in, you never saw them by the fence.

One more thing. Rumor is Alben Barkley bought up 750 acres of farm land cheap. He then sold it to the gov to build the plant on. I wasnt around back then to know for sure, but it is what I heard since I was young. Alben was a powerful senator and VP from 1949 to1953 under Truman.
Same thing with deer at Ft. Sill. There is a mini wildlife area near the post golf course where no hunting is allowed. It is also adjacent to a housing area on post. During hunting season, deer migrate to that area in bunches and live around there until the season is over. However, deer aren't the only ones who have figured that out, turkey do that too during their season.

Good morning everyone.

@berniecarbo Animals are not stupid. It doesn't take them long to figure out a safe place or a dangerous place. I always loved to visit Paducah Shooters when I made the 8 hr drive to the western end of the state.

A few nice upsets as usual in the opening round. I did watch a bit of the Bama and Duke games. Penn State may be the team to root for other than UK. I've enjoyed watching them this month. I bet Cal is nervous this morning. I can't even imagine if................

Babysitting day mixed with some basketball and packing....meeting tomorrow afternoon and then spending the night with my parents.

I hope everyone has a great day.

Saluting-Legionnaire.jpg

MORNING D-LEGIONNAIRES!

34° this morning with the high in the mid 50's expected for the day. Good amount of rain and north winds blew through yesterday afternoon bringing a little cooler temperature. Next couple of nights below freezing temps on tap with moderate winds. Old man Winter not ready to relinquish control yet.

Did not watch any games yesterday per say, just bounced around watching some games for a few minutes at a time. SEC did well I suppose, but they were all higher seeded so we will see what happens next. Not getting my hopes up for UK, never know who will show up for the game, Jeckell or Hyde.

Well, you guys enjoy your Friday, (wife took day off so...shopping in "store" for me today) and God Bless.

Good morning everyone.

@berniecarbo Animals are not stupid. It doesn't take them long to figure out a safe place or a dangerous place. I always loved to visit Paducah Shooters when I made the 8 hr drive to the western end of the state.

A few nice upsets as usual in the opening round. I did watch a bit of the Bama and Duke games. Penn State may be the team to root for other than UK. I've enjoyed watching them this month. I bet Cal is nervous this morning. I can't even imagine if................

Babysitting day mixed with some basketball and packing....meeting tomorrow afternoon and then spending the night with my parents.

Storm, you are right, they are not stupid! When I played golf, (well attempted to) there was an 13 point buck that stayed on one of the holes during hunting season, the only time he would move is when teed off!

Good Friday Morning D

Back inside the house to get some more coffee and check in. It is sunny with 52° and 0% chance of rain. The high should reach 83°. A couple of surprises yesterday. Virginia blew another opener. I had picked Texas A&M.

Happy St Patrick's Day and boy does that corn beef and cabbage look good. My ancestry came from Northern Ireland, across the North Channel from SW Scotland, but we still celebrate with the other Irish.

The Cats take the stage tonight. I hope the Good Cats show up. It is important they win today in more ways than one.

I am thankful @AustinTXCat is improving. One day at a time. I have some more messing around outside and I am certainly going to try and to make some corn beef and cabbage today to match that delicious picture from Austin. Made me hungry after a nice breakfast a little earlier.

Take care all, Go Cats

Last edited:
Good morning everyone.

Yes, Shooters Supply in Paducah. I've been there several times. That area and really all of Paducah's west side has changed over the years. The area where Ky Oaks Mall is used to be a huge peach orchard. Picked a few peaches as a kid. I hated it when the peach fuzz mixed in with your sweat. Itched really bad.

Yes, Shooters Supply in Paducah. I've been there several times. That area and really all of Paducah's west side has changed over the years. The area where Ky Oaks Mall is used to be a huge peach orchard. Picked a few peaches as a kid. I hated it when the peach fuzz mixed in with your sweat. Itched really bad.
I got to know Phyllis McCutchen (one of the original owners) pretty good and got to duck hunt with her grandson Clint years ago when he was a kid. I haven't seen him since but he has got to be in his 30's now. It's been many years since I've been there.

I got to know Phyllis McCutchen (one of the original owners) pretty good and got to duck hunt with her grandson Clint years ago when he was a kid. I haven't seen him since but he has got to be in his 30's now. It's been many years since I've been there.
When they were building I-24, when they weren't working, I'd get up there and run to the Ohio River and back. Great quiet place to run and I had it to myself. I don't really know any of the folks at Shooter's Supply personally, but they've always been pretty fair with me.

Can the Cats do something they have NOT done this year? Make some shots AND play some lock down defense.... This team should really be able to defend.... Team Defense....

Only one real statement Dickie (The call him Dick.) V... every made that I ever really liked...

Talking back when Tubby was the coach (If forget what season)

"The only defense better than UK's is Tampa Bay's...."

Go CATS!!!

I think we'll win. But I must admit that I'm getting a little anxious.

If we lose there will be some miserable souls here on RR. I'll probably avoid this site for a while if we blow it tonight.

Brother Storm,

This is not RR.... (Thank the Lord...) This is the D-League.... ;) (Whew, I left RR, about 99% anyway a long while ago.)... Just too many trolls and not enough troll policing.... (I guess management decided they needed the participants, be darned what they brought with them...)

Good morning from ATX. Currently 49°F and cloudy. Decent rain chance this morning. Today's high may reach 56°F.

How about our Wildcats last night? Loved the win. Oscar, Reeves and Toppin played huge. Next up: Kansas State.

Yesterday, I actually slow-cooked corned beef, cabbage, small potatoes and carrots. Tasted great this morning. Lunch now covered for part of next week. Plan on cooking other dishes later today or tomorrow.

Feeling much better this morning. Mouth pain nearly gone. If I can only get rid of neuropathy and cramps.

Plan on riding bus over to Trader Joe's later this morning. Pick up a few items. Taking my 1960s-era Swiss Army backpack.

Wishing all a wonderful Saturday.

National-Sloppy-Joe-Day-March-18.jpg

Good morning everyone.

A big collective sigh of relief all over KY last night. Not the best shooting night, but a Big Ole W. Some high points...Oscar's rebounding, Reeves 3 pt shooting, Toppin's FT shooting, and Wallace's drives to the basket. No need to dwell on the low points.

@BBUK...RR is like having peanut butter in the house while on a serious diet. It will call your name until you give in. I'll take a peak in a minute....not much time.

Meeting in central KY this afternoon and I'll spend the night with my parents afterwards. I think someone is bringing sloppy joes.

2:40 Eastern on CBS Sunday afternoon.

When they were building I-24, when they weren't working, I'd get up there and run to the Ohio River and back. Great quiet place to run and I had it to myself. I don't really know any of the folks at Shooter's Supply personally, but they've always been pretty fair with me.
Mr. Carbo, I helped build the bridge on I-24 there by the mall just a few years ago. Dawson Bridge Company wanted me to go with the company to Eastern Kentucky for their next job, one of the bosses too me where we were going, the sun came up at 11:50 and went down at 12:10! I told him let me think about it, NO! GOD had other plans for me.

Good Saturday Morning

A little warmer this morning at 68° and the high will be 78° This afternoon we have a 72% chance of rain. We can always use rain, never enough for this part of the world.

The Purdue loss may be the biggest upset in NCAA history because of their opponent. FDU did not win their conference or their conference tournament. The winner was not eligible to participate so they got the bid. It was a total mismatch with speed vs. Purdue's plow horse basketball. When a quick teams get hot they can beat you. And they did.

Speaking of water last year I had a deep well drilled and a few days ago decided to test it. I use it only for irrigation and to fill my pool. I was surprised at the purity of this well. The TDS was 22 and anything under 300 is excellent. No bacteria was detected. Good water is a blessing.

I trust all have a great day and it sure feels better waking up to a win in the NCAA. I hope everyone enjoyed their corned beef and cabbage. We sure did. It took 3 hours to cook it but it sure was good.

iu

Mr. Carbo, I helped build the bridge on I-24 there by the mall just a few years ago. Dawson Bridge Company wanted me to go with the company to Eastern Kentucky for their next job, one of the bosses too me where we were going, the sun came up at 11:50 and went down at 12:10! I told him let me think about it, NO! GOD had other plans for me.
That must have been a bridge in my area. Dad still tells everyone when where I live gets brought up in conversation...."The only place he knows you can see someone's backyard by looking out the skylight". He's not far from the truth. lol

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT