ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

How true. Oscar simply had a bad offensive night. UK actually hit free throws well for a change. Plus Florida got hot on the threes in the second half.

Free throws I believe have been really solid starting in the second half against Kansas. I believe we were 4-11 from the line at the half against Kansas and made all 12 of our 2nd half free throws, could be wrong. We were were 19-23 on our free throws against Ole Miss. And 11-13 from the line tonight.

Have been subpar all year, but last 2 games and second half against Kansas we have actually done really well. I think we are going to be in a lot of close games, we need that trend to continue.

Good morning from ATX. Currently 41°F and partly cloudy. Today's high expected around 71°F. Expecting a really nice afternoon.

I'm so happy my daughter flew out here. It's her first visit since 2000, or more than 22 years. My step-daughter picked her up from the airport. Anyway, we plan on taking a quick bus trip downtown this morning so we can check out a few sites. Perhaps grab an authentic Tex-Mex breakfast taco. This afternoon, we'll head over to Lunar New festival at Chinatown - Austin, located in parking lot the next street north of us. Shop and grab a bite. Quick, convenient and simple. My daughter leaves Wednesday.

Last night's game: Power outage hit us with 10 minutes left in second half. I followed score on laptop. Power baack on around 3 minutes remaining. Key take-ways: Oscar could not handle Castleton. CJ shot well. Cats hit FTs down the stretch. Cats out-rebounded Gators on the glass 35-27. Close game. I enjoyed the W.

Wishing y'all a peaceful, enjoyable Sunday.

4f4d623c34bdb.image.jpg

I lost internet yesterday and had the choice of listening to the game or watching it on my little phone. I chose to listen and enjoyed a 5 or 10 min nap during the game. When I was younger that is the only time I would nod off....soothing and comforting sound I guess.

Not much was mentioned about defense last night. How'd it look? Anyone look particularly good or bad on the defensive side?

I hope everyone enjoys their Sunday.

good morning D-League.

Good win for the Cats last night. They'll all be good from here on out.

I have a daughter and an ex-wife who are Gators so there is always some friendly tension and more when the Cats play Florida.

I got an email invitation to my 50th high school reunion last night. Damn, that's eye-opening. We graduated 26 in our class and three or four are dead and a couple have disappeared but we'll probably get around 20 to attend. Most of the class could drive to where are hig school was in five minutes, if it still existed. I see a few of the old gang any time I visit my parents, but it'll be good to gather again.

Beautiful sunny, cold day here. Hope you all are doing well.

Saluting-Legionnaire.jpg

Morning D-Legionnaires!

31° this morning with the high in the mid 60's expected. Sunny with moderate winds as well.

Another win albeit closer than it should have been in the end. Kentucky looked in control for the most part until the last few minutes or so. Oscar still struggles against big men. Getting closer to tournament time and this team needs to shore up a bit on the offensive side. At times in last night's game we seemed to revert back to the earlier part of this year's running around without an offensive set-in mind. Perhaps it was just Florida's defense, if I am not mistaken it is supposed to be pretty good according to the announcers. Outside of that, UF only has one or two good players themselves.

Not much going on today, Wife and daughter will probably sleep most of morning since MIL and BIL were over and did not leave until past midnight or so I think. That's the norm when they are here. I just go to sleep around 21:30-22:00 when they are here so...

Well, you folks enjoy your Sunday (especially if you have to work tomorrow) @AustinTXCat, @BBUK , and @MdWIldcat55. Come on in (retirement), the water's fine.

God Bless and stay safe.

Edited: Need to shore up the Cats on the defensive side too really. Still time to work on it, but it needs to be done now.

Last edited:
That's funny when I think about it. Most of my early years with the military had Foosball tables, ping pong tables, and pool tables in the day rooms. There was always trash talk going on since most of us back then in the military were aggressive and competitive. Played many of games of each in my time. Even learned to juggle pool balls during nights on CQ (Charge of Quarters) when I got bored of playing pool by myself.

Good Sunday Morning

It is a nice morning with a mild 56° and a high expected of 77°. Partly cloudy skies with a chance of showers this evening.

Cats squeaked by last night against a mediocre team. The Big Gator gave Oscar fits because of his size but he did have a nice touch around the basket. It helped with the Gators horrendous shooting in the first half. A win is still a win. I watched the NC-Duke game before the Cats started and those two teams have really fallen off. Neither looked like a good tournament team.

I trust all are well. I will pause this morning and reflect on how fortunate my life is and how good God has been to me and my family. We are so blessed.

Good morning all,

Just rousing... I played possum this morning when My Darling and the BB were in the room cleaning up. He is downstairs now readying to eat his morning banana pancakes.

Eats those every morning. They need no butter or syrup. Pushing four years old and never tires of them. I do not remember him not eating those for breakfast.

I'll have a couple biscuits and coffee. We will go to the late service. Starts at 11:20...

Have a great day... Shoot for a peaceful day.,..

Last edited:
The following is a bunch of bitching from Bert. You do no have to read it, but I am blowing off some steam about last nights game. I just edited the game and in the process you can micro analyze what happened. 34 frames a second allows a lot of insight!

In the 1st half Florida was charged with 5 fouls, Kentucky 7 fouls. That is not all that bad until you analyze what those fouls contributed: Florida got 10 free throws to Kentucky's 3. Ouch.

In the second half at the under 4:00 minute time out Florida had 4 fouls and Kentucky 6. Oscar fouls out at the 1:38 minute mark and Florida had 4 fouls and Kentucky 7. With 1:02 minute left and UF needs to foul and put UK on the line in hopes of a miss. The refs know this and cooperate; Florida fouls on every play and the refs accommodate them with a quick whistle.

It only took 9 seconds for UF to foul 3 times to get Kentucky to the free throw line. Florida ends up with 9 2nd Half fouls, but 5 fouls were in the last 1:38 when they had to do it. The first 38 minutes and 22 seconds they only called 8 total fouls on UF. Of Kentucky's 13 free throws 5 were made in the last 51 seconds.

When was the last time Kentucky got a whistle on the road like that?

Plus I can't stand Jimmy Dykes. Why does he do so many of UK's games?

End of being nasty.

The following is a bunch of bitching from Bert. You do no have to read it, but I am blowing off some steam about last nights game. I just edited the game and in the process you can micro analyze what happened. 34 frames a second allows a lot of insight!

In the 1st half Florida was charged with 5 fouls, Kentucky 7 fouls. That is not all that bad until you analyze what those fouls contributed: Florida got 10 free throws to Kentucky's 3. Ouch.

In the second half at the under 4:00 minute time out Florida had 4 fouls and Kentucky 6. Oscar fouls out at the 1:38 minute mark and Florida had 4 fouls and Kentucky 7. With 1:02 minute left and UF needs to foul and put UK on the line in hopes of a miss. The refs know this and cooperate; Florida fouls on every play and the refs accommodate them with a quick whistle.

It only took 9 seconds for UF to foul 3 times to get Kentucky to the free throw line. Florida ends up with 9 2nd Half fouls, but 5 fouls were in the last 1:38 when they had to do it. The first 38 minutes and 22 seconds they only called 8 total fouls on UF. Of Kentucky's 13 free throws 5 were made in the last 51 seconds.

End of being nasty.
Can you enlighten me as to why Reeves did not shoot a 3 for the 18 minutes he was in the game? I had to listen to the game instead of watch and wondering why he didn't/couldn't shoot from 3.

Can you enlighten me as to why Reeves did not shoot a 3 for the 18 minutes he was in the game? I had to listen to the game instead of watch and wondering why he didn't/couldn't shoot from 3.
He did not get a clean look.

Cal has three good shooters; however, he never sets screens to give them open looks. They basically have to create the shots on their own.

One more thing: Cal does not give much thought to who is playing. After Reeves gets 27 points in 31 minutes of play Tuesday night but yesterday he only gets 5 shots in 19 minutes. I can't explain it.

He did not get a clean look.

Cal has three good shooters; however, he never sets screens to give them open looks. They basically have to create the shots on their own.

One more thing: Cal does not give much thought to who is playing. After Reeves gets 27 points in 31 minutes of play Tuesday night but yesterday he only gets 5 shots in 19 minutes. I can't explain it.
This is what gets me. Reeves has proven he is the best shooter we have and a top player on offense. Why he only gets 19 minutes is strange. Especially since he was not in foul trouble.

This is what gets me. Reeves has proven he is the best shooter we have and a top player on offense. Why he only gets 19 minutes is strange. Especially since he was not in foul trouble.
I thought it strange that Reeve's didn't shoot any 3's. He's sure not shy. I just wanted to know if FL was guarding him at all cost, some crazy D, or just something else. We won, but I sure hope Reeves doesn't get pissed now.

End of being nasty.

I rarely re-watch a game so I'm sure you are seeing way more when you give them a second look...as for fouls, only thing I will say is the other team almost regardless of opponent gets to hack and push on Oscar all they want. I'm generally the one that likes for the officials to let the game be physical if they call it fairly both ways but if you touched Florida's big guy it was a foul.

I wish you would go back and count how many of our fouls were for touching there big guy while Oscar sometimes gets mauled with no call. Honestly, Oscar should be averaging at least 6-8 more free throw attempts per game.

I rarely re-watch a game so I'm sure you are seeing way more when you give them a second look...as for fouls, only thing I will say is the other team almost regardless of opponent gets to hack and push on Oscar all they want. I'm generally the one that likes for the officials to let the game be physical if they call it fairly both ways but if you touched Florida's big guy it was a foul.

I wish you would go back and count how many of our fouls were for touching there big guy while Oscar sometimes gets mauled with no call. Honestly, Oscar should be averaging at least 6-8 more free throw attempts per game.
Castleton got 7 free throws to Oscar's 0. Oscar fouled out and Castleton got 3 fouls called against him.

Castleton got 7 free throws to Oscar's 0. Oscar fouled out and Castleton got 3 fouls called against him.

Damn, I didn't realize Oscar didn't even have one free throw attempt...he was 2-14 from the field. If he shoots it 14 times and doesn't go to the line once, hell that is borderline criminal considering how physical opponents are with him.

Also, I was suprised Castleton only went to the line 7 times...hell I would have guessed 10-12 times.

The game before he hits 6 of 7 from 3...scores 27 in 31 minutes, hits all 5 of his free throw attempts...next game he plays 19 minutes.

Fredrick had a decent game against Florida (seems like he has a solid game about 1 out of every 4 or 5 games), as others have pointed out, why not play Fredrick and Reeves together...after the game Reeves just had, if Fredrick is playing solid teams wouldn't be able to double on Oscar as much with 2 shooters out there. I would try to keep a shooter like Reeves hot after that Ole Miss game, playing him only 19 minutes is typical Cal.

Another interesting point I saw brought up elsewhere, Reeves might be your best FT shooter...83 percent this year. I don't believe he was in the game the last 1-2 minutes...why would you not want to have someone money from the line in at the end when the other team is desperately fouling?

Good morning from ATX. Currently 59°F and cloudy. Nice out, actually. We're looking at 74°F for today's high. Rain chances increasing tomorrow.

My daughter loves Austin. Yesterday, we rode bus down to 6th Street and walked around State Capitol complex. Got in about 1.5 hours walking. After returning, I stopped and got her first authentic Tex-Mex breakfast taco. Along with step-daughter, daughter and I walked Chinese Lunar Year festival over at Chinatown-Austin later. I grabbed some spicy shrimp, scallops and squid. Also picked up some kimchi at supermarket. We made some memories.

Must start work in about 15 minutes. Monday, Monday.

Gentlemen, I wish y'all a great, productive day.

wr_nationalfroyoday_insta.jpg

Good morning, D-League!

Got to sleep in a little this morning! Not a bad start to a Monday! Feeling scrappy....

Hope yall have a great second day of the week. Got a lot done yesterday, even with a nap mixed in. Got to double it somehow today. We'll see.

Hankerin for a little more good news on the football side today. Wondering who the other young man was with Devin Leary at KSBar this weekend. Not ONE single story I found mentioned him at all. I was like.. "wth? How rude..." Not even KSR mentioned him, and they put up a picture with both of them...

May God bless the D-League!

Good morning D-Leaguers.

Another Monday. Ah well. My wife and I had a nice Sunday. We went downtown and hit several of the Smithsonian museums, then stopped into a nice steakhouse in DC for supper and a couple drinks. Saw Trump's official presidential portrait at the Nation al Portrait Gallery. He went for a traditional approach and anyone who admires him. It fits in with others back to Reagan. Obama, for example, tried some modern, abstract approach with him coming out of a frame of ivy leaves or whatever, and it already looks dated and silly.

Back to work. Hope you all have a good day.

Good Morning D

Enjoying another cup of coffee and enjoying being outside drinking it. 50° with the sun coming up. We will have sunshine all day and the high will hit 75°. 0% chance of rain.

After my work out this morning my calendar is clear for today. I might straighten up my office and do a few minor repairs around the house. My screen door needs a new latch for one thing.

I am thankful @AustinTXCat had some quality time with his daughter. Those are the important things in life. Take care all.

iu

ADVERTISEMENT