ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

Good morning from ATX. We're currently at 34°F and partly cloudy. We may reach 62°F for our high. Finally some decent weather this afternoon.

Telephoned Germany earlier this morning. Good conversation. @cordmaker : My ex brother in-law has worked at Dynamit Nobel for over 35 years. I believe he works munitions. My ex-wife also worked several years at the same firm. Kinda wild, when you think about it.

Otherwise, all is good here. Got lots going on. I'm expecting a special VIP visitor today. Her flight departs in roughly 45 minutes.

Go Cats!

Wishing y'all an awesome day and great weekend. Take care.

National-Homemade-Soup-Day-February-4.jpg.webp

You are probably thinking about Williamson, WV (city) which is right across from Pike Co and Martin Co., KY , Belfry, KY area. Plenty of elk in that section of the state.
Most likely. Williamson, WV is in Mingo County.

There is a Williamsburg on the Tennessee line. I 75 runs right by it. That is Whitley County. I don't think there is a Williamson County in Kentucky. At least I am not aware of one.

Good morning D-League.

A brisk 10 degrees F with blowing wind today. Kept my walk short. Now I'm heading to my wife's gym in the hopes I can begin to transition from my scheduled PT sessions to rehabbing my hip myself. It's pretty much as strong as ever anyway.

Cats need a win today. I'm hopeful.

Catch up with you guys later.

Most likely. Williamson, WV is in Mingo County.

There is a Williamsburg on the Tennessee line. I 75 runs right by it. That is Whitley County. I don't think there is a Williamson County in Kentucky. At least I am not aware of one.
Yes. Know those places well and thought about Williamsburg, but they don't have near as many elk in that area as Martin and Pike Counties.

20 degrees here this morning and looking forward to some southerly warmth in a couple of weeks.

Yes. Know those places well and thought about Williamsburg, but they don't have near as many elk in that area as Martin and Pike Counties.

20 degrees here this morning and looking forward to some southerly warmth in a couple of weeks.
Things sure have changed in Pike County. I am so glad to hear wildlife is coming back, especially deer and elk. I spent a lot of time in Pike County as a boy visiting my grandparents. Often all summer during school breaks.

They lived up Pond Creek near McVeigh up Rockhouse Holler. I never saw a deer much less an elk. You would have to hunt all day and half of the night to find a squirrel. Glad to hear it is full of elk.

It is a crisp 21.6°F and sunny. Frost everywhere.

Game day. We get Florida after they beat the crap out of Tennessee.
Florida is a strange team. I fully expect Kentucky to hammer them back to reality. How they beat Tennessee is also a mystery but you just never know how it will end until you play the game.

If I was betting I put my money on the Cats but I don't gamble.

Things sure have changed in Pike County. I am so glad to hear wildlife is coming back, especially deer and elk. I spent a lot of time in Pike County as a boy visiting my grandparents. Often all summer during school breaks.

They lived up Pond Creek near McVeigh up Rockhouse Holler. I never saw a deer much less an elk. You would have to hunt all day and half of the night to find a squirrel. Glad to hear it is full of elk.
How long has it been since you've been in the Pike Co. area? You probably wouldn't believe it now. The county clerk told me about 20 years ago that if you added Pikeville, Belfry, and another town I can't remember together it would be the 3rd largest city in KY. The Hwy between Pikeville and Belfry now is a breeze to travel.

My wife's great grandparents (maybe great, great) were from Pike Co. as well...Virgie area.

How long has it been since you've been in the Pike Co. area? You probably wouldn't believe it now. The county clerk told me about 20 years ago that if you added Pikeville, Belfry, and another town I can't remember together it would be the 3rd largest city in KY. The Hwy between Pikeville and Belfry now is a breeze to travel.

My wife's great grandparents (maybe great, great) were from Pike Co. as well...Virgie area.
My last visit was early 2000's, probably 20 years ago. My last relative up there died in 2000 and I went to his funeral then decorated all of my relatives graves for several years after that. We had a family custom of doing that on Decorations Days, Memorial Day weekend. Everyone I knew from childhood is gone. Either died or moved to Michigan or Ohio. The mines are pretty much shut down too.

Grandpa's property was once owned by Ford Motor Co. A coal mine was under a rock cliff behind his house and a trestle connected it to another mine across the bottom into the side of a mountain. Ford Motor Co shut it down in the 1920's and took down the trestle. He bought the 50 acres but Ford Motor Co. kept the coal rights. He was allowed to take coal out of the mines for his personal use. So I learned early to take a bucket and shovel coal for the Warming Morning stove and fireplaces. It was work but fun for a boy.

Back then it would take half the day to get from Rockhouse Holler to the county seat in Pikeville. Three very large mountains to climb and the roads were narrow and dangerous. Now you can do 80 mph over some of the best highways in Kentucky.

Last edited:
You are probably thinking about Williamson, WV (city) which is right across from Pike Co and Martin Co., KY , Belfry, KY area. Plenty of elk in that section of the state.
Dang it Storm, now I am going to have to talk to my son and see if they even went!!!!Lol I promise I will get the story straight before I post again! Shiff I know I'm getting old but Shiff this is ridiculous Cord!! I know it was in Kentucky, just got to find out where lol!!

I was watching the very good remake of True Grit with Jeff Bridges as Rooster Cogburn, and the ending song is this Iris DeMent version of "leaning on the Everlasting Arms."

That was my father's mother's - Mamaw Maude's -- favorite song, and hearing it took me back to her funeral in a tiny church in rural Bracken County nearly 50 years ago. Quite a moving hymn.

I was watching the very good remake of True Grit with Jeff Bridges as Rooster Cogburn, and the ending song is this Iris DeMent version of "leaning on the Everlasting Arms."

That was my father's mother's - Mamaw Maude's -- favorite song, and hearing it took me back to her funeral in a tiny church in rural Bracken County nearly 50 years ago. Quite a moving hymn.

Oh my!

I grew up in a little Baptist church in Edmonson County. We sang that song often. We had all parts of the song. "Leaning" on Jesus "leaning" on Jesus "leaning on the everlasting arms . . . . ." even though it was not in the lyrics.

Here is a 1966 picture of my little church out in the country:
328256427_538410258266855_7447898146586872226_n.jpg

Oh my!

I grew up in a little Baptist church in Edmonson County. We sang that song often. We had all parts of the song. "Leaning" on Jesus "leaning" on Jesus "leaning on the everlasting arms . . . . ." even though it was not in the lyrics.

Bert —it is eerie how much that church looks like the one in Bracken County where my grandmother’s funeral was held. Or maybe not. There must be churches like that all over rural Kentucky.

Bert —it is eerie how much that church looks like the one in Bracken County where my grandmother’s funeral was held. Or maybe not. There must be churches like that all over rural Kentucky.
There are many.

I had a Catholic friend from Indiana at the railroad and his catholic church looked just like that. My mom loved Leo because the churches were the same. (they actually were the same church with different dogma)

Nothing personal but I didn't like it...

Oh my!

I've told you guys about my uncle Paul who was a WW2 hero who came home to become a preacher. This was the kind of church he was at most of the time.

Oh my!

Interesting, Bert. Curious, is one door for the men and one for the women, or something else?

Honestly the John Wayne version was much better.

Yes Sir,

I won't dwell on it but take a side by side look at some comparisons. Even in 69 they didn't try authenticating with western looks no one making the movies actually saw. Appeasement, but human nature may look at it and be pleased they have it better now. Not sure but even the hat is not believable... (Not downing anyone for liking the newer version at all.)

Yes Sir,

I won't dwell on it but take a side by side look at some comparisons. Even in 69 they didn't try authenticating with western looks no one making the movies actually saw. Appeasement, but human nature may look at it and be pleased they have it better now. Not sure but even the hat is not believable... (Not downing anyone for liking the newer version at all.)

I thought Bridges sounded like he had too much crap in his mouth.
But I'm a Duke fan anyway.
The original for the win.

Oh my!

My Dad grew up in Edmonson County and belonged to a Baptist church. I'll ask him what the name was. He attended Sunfish High School through 10th grade before moving to Louisville.

Last edited:
The only part that was better on the new one was that the actress that played Matty did not whine as much as Kim Darby does in the original.

Kim Darby was not even liked by John Wayne and as she grew up she got worse. (She looked the part better but that was all.)

Even Glenn Campbell seemed too rote, you could tell he was acting.

Crazy day in college basketball...

Tennessee beats Auburn 46-43. Teams were a combined 5-48 from 3...5 out of 48.

Kansas gets beat by 15.

Indiana beats number 1 Purdue. I could never say I was rooting for Indiana but I know a few big Purdue fans and they have been really obnoxious so I do find them losing in such an important game for the state funny.

Crazy day in college basketball...

Tennessee beats Auburn 46-43. Teams were a combined 5-48 from 3. 5 out of 48.

Kansas gets beat by 15.

Indiana beats number 1 Purdue. I could never say I was rooting for Indiana but I know a few big Purdue fans and they have been really obnoxious so I do find them losing in such an important game for the state funny.
This is the craziest year for college basketball in my lifetime. Anything is possible at this point.

ADVERTISEMENT