ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

Anyone been in an earthquake? I was thinking back to sometime in 1969 or 70. I was walking a post in Turkey when the ground came rolling at me like an ocean wave. I don't know how high the ground got, but I was riding the wave as it passed through. At one point the ground was only an inch or 2 from my face and I did not fall. It happened and was gone so quickly, you didn't have time to get scared. They said the epicenter was a couple of hundred miles away and over a 1,000 people died.
Lived a couple of years in Colombia South America. Went through several down there. Nothing major, but you definitely felt the ground shaking.
Cant imagine what a major earthquake feels like.

Anyone been in an earthquake? I was thinking back to sometime in 1969 or 70. I was walking a post in Turkey when the ground came rolling at me like an ocean wave. I don't know how high the ground got, but I was riding the wave as it passed through. At one point the ground was only an inch or 2 from my face and I did not fall. It happened and was gone so quickly, you didn't have time to get scared. They said the epicenter was a couple of hundred miles away and over a 1,000 people died.

Sir,

I was sure I remembered being in one a long while ago, then I got to thinking, I may not have been in an earthquake just as well. Before I met My Darling I had my moments of severe inebriation. The earth moving and shaking could have been during one of those times... 😬 :(🥃🍸🍹🥤🍺🍻🥂🍷... (I thought I was...)

Yes, California. LA at Northridge

I was staying in the Hilton Burbank Hotel when the bed started shaking violently at 2:30 AM. I was thrown out of my bed and several wall hangings came crashing to the floor. Later that week an aftershock hit while I was at Northridge with my wife. I had taken her out to look at some of the serious damaged areas where I was working. She was going to fly back home the next morning and I told her she might get an aftershock. After a week she felt one.

I have some unbelievable photos I took while out there working the Quake. It can really mess up a place. The Quake struck at a time when very few people were out and about. Had it been during the day loss of life would have been catastrophic.

Good Friday Morning

The sun is shining and we have 45° with clear skies. No chance of rain to speak of. The high will be 69°.

Headed to the gym to work out later this morning. My protein breakfast of sausage and eggs should give me strength to make it through the day. The coffee is extra good this morning.

I am starting on my Income Tax return. Death and taxes are two things I can not change I guess.
What a horrible thought. I need to do the same darned thing.

How do I get my 1099's?

Fans Cheering In The National Championshhip - Breakdown By State

185EB93E-81A4-4D62-9C4C-B9CB1BAE409E.jpeg
I hope that UGA beats the shit out of TCU.

Screw the Big 12 (little 10).

The USA hates the SEC because we have, by far, the best football.

I saw on the local news Florida is officially takeing over the governing of Disney World. Their special status was ended when they went political. Disney will pay $700,000,000.00 to the State of Florida to switch the government.

Groom that Disney. And so it goes.

Oh that the virus that is Ron D spreads like the China Virus.....to governors in EVERY STATE in the United States of America AND Puerto Rico!!! (And DC...)

I saw on the local news Florida is officially takeing over the governing of Disney World. Their special status was ended when they went political. Disney will pay $700,000,000.00 to the State of Florida to switch the government.

Groom that Disney. And so it goes.
Many years ago, I used to take the kids to WDW every other year or so. The last year I took them, I lucked out. They were going to have some kind of gay celebration the following week. I read some of the church groups that had trips scheduled the following week were very upset because they hadn't been warned when making their plans. I'd been very mad if it had hit us. As it was, there was a few of them there early holding hands and kissing in line in front of the kids.

Many years ago, I used to take the kids to WDW every other year or so. The last year I took them, I lucked out. They were going to have some kind of gay celebration the following week. I read some of the church groups that had trips scheduled the following week were very upset because they hadn't been warned when making their plans. I'd been very mad if it had hit us. As it was, there was a few of them there early holding hands and kissing in line in front of the kids.

That is not right. I will never say it is... It never will be right!

What people do behind their doors is their business... It always has been..

I was living in Clearwater when they opened and we went the first week. I think the total cost that day was $10 or $15 dollars. Florida residents got a special discount and they sold tickets classified as A to E. The more complicated rides and better exhibits were a D or E ticket. If I recall correctly parking was free.

We went often the first five years because of the special deals for residents but I have not been back in many, many years. Like about 40. I have no interest. Disney went off the tracks many years ago and most Florida residents in my area would shout for joy if they shut down and left. I wish they would bulldoze the entire place and restore it to the cattle ranches it was before the Mouse came. It has changed everything in that area for the very worst.

Earthquake here in Letcher Co. several years ago. Wife and I were sitting in tree stands deer hunting. We were 2 miles apart when I heard an explosion. I figured it was an underground mine. But, seconds later I felt it shaking. Wife was closer and she really got shook up in the tree. It wasn't a big one, but it was close. The biggest thing I took from it was the initial sound similar to an explosion.

Mom is from Alaska and several family members are still there so we see many FB posts about the aggravating earthquakes (some major ones) and aftershocks.

Go Cats! Tomorrow will give us a good idea about the rest of the season. Go Bulldogs and Bengals! I don't follow sports like I use to but this will be a good 3 days (if my 3 teams win). lol

Never been in an earthquake but this was the first article (from 2015) I just saw about it and mentions some Kentucky school kids as well as other states getting out of school for this...I was 9 years old at the time. I actually thought I was a couple years older when it happened, but I do remember that some guy predicted an earthquake and they taught us at school what to do in case of an earthquake several times. I can't say with certainty but I'm like 99 percent sure we actually got a day or two off from school cause of this. I didn't read the whole article so I'm not sure why the prediction was taken so seriously, but looking back that seems crazy to me.

From the article:

The third day of December 1990 was a Monday, but schools in the small southeast Missouri town of New Madrid were closed.

In fact, some 40,000 students in portions of Missouri and surrounding states — Arkansas, Tennessee, Kentucky, Illinois, and Indiana — had the day off, and some districts had canceled Tuesday and Wednesday as well. The reasons given by school officials varied. Some said the cancellations were made out of an abundance of caution, or in response to community pressure. Others said that even if schools had remained open, many kids would have been absent anyway, because their parents wanted to keep them at home, or had decided to leave the area. The closings had been announced weeks, in some cases even months, beforehand.
Reel foot lake was created by an earthquake in New Madrid around the start of the War of 1812. It was the largest earthquake to hit the U.S. in our history. The earthquake rang church bells in Boston.

The war of 1812 was started by the earthquake as Tecumseh had urged the Eastern tribes to attack the Europeans when the earth moved. (No one knows how he knew it was coming.) The earth moved and the Eastern Indian tribes, the British soldiers and government (located in Detroit and Canada) attacked. So Tecumseh's plan worked.

It was the start of the War of 1812.

Please read the book "The Frontiersmen" by Allen Eckert. It is worth the price.

It covers the early frontiersmen like Daniel Boone, Simon Kenton, George Rogers Clark, Anthony Wayne, Simon Girty and William Henry Harrison and Tecuseh the Indian and guys like that. You find out how uncivil the British and Indians actually were. My family paid a heavy price for what the Brits and Indians actions against the frontiersmen did.

I have only read it about 4 times. Many of the names in that book are in my family.

Last edited:
Reel foot lake was created by an earthquake in New Madrid around the start of the War of 1812. It was the largest earthquake to hit the U.S. in our history. The earthquake rang church bells in Boston.

The war of 1812 was started by the earthquake as Tecumseh had urged the Eastern tribes to attack the Europeans when the earth moved. (No one knows how he knew it was coming.) The earth moved and the Eastern Indian tribes, the British soldiers and government (located in Detroit and Canada) attacked. So Tecumseh's plan worked.

It was the start of the War of 1812.

Please read the book "The Frontiersmen" by Allen Eckert. It is worth the price.

It covers the early frontiersmen like Daniel Boone, Simon Kenton, George Rogers Clark, Anthony Wayne, Simon Girty and William Henry Harrison and Tecuseh the Indian and guys like that. You find out how uncivil the British and Indians actually were. My family paid a heavy price for what the Brits and Indians actions against the frontiersmen did.

I have only read it about 4 times. Many of the names in that book are in my family.
Don't hear of Simon Kenton much. Ours is only county in US named for him. Then there's the HS, several streets/roads, and the bridge at Maysville. He's buried in Urbana, OH with a monument there.

Larger memorial image loading...

Larger memorial image loading...

My supper...

My Darling made this soup from baby back rib meat and turnip greens....
321638387_860878381900973_3822373288019198040_n.jpg

This is the first time My Darling cooked fish in our air fryer. That is Atlantic or Norwegian Mackerel... She cooks this a lot. Just adds a little salt I think and maybe a smidgeon of garlic and black pepper. (No oils) It is an oily fish but just other-worldly good. I am not a big eater of bone-in fish though I like fillets of many types. This comes out well... My Darling was super pleased as cooking the fish is normally done outside due to the smell but the air fryer never caused any noticeable odor. Amazing...
323276213_3384053918547026_8683333842380761850_n.jpg

This was the BB's plate..(He loves green beans.). All I had was the soup, fish, and some rice.
323561428_1131098057591961_7837062679031509701_n.jpg

Yes, I am thankful...

I was in here in Muhlenberg Co. late 60's, I worked at a local pharmacy, shook some of the stuff we had on the shelves, weird feeling!!!!

I'm dying in my gut... I swiped this from the Sharpe dunk contest thread... Bust out laughing every time I think about it....

How does it go... but for the grace of God there go I....(Something to that effect...)😂😂😂😂😂😂 (I'd go too...)

seat-explosion.gif

For some strange reason I imagine wc during a major workout on his total gym....😁

(I didn't do it, blame Chuck...)

Last edited:
I'm dying in my gut... I swiped this from the Sharpe dunk contest thread... Bust out laughing every time I think about it....

How does it go... but for the grace of God there go I....(Something to that effect...)😂😂😂😂😂😂 (I'd go too...)

seat-explosion.gif

For some strange reason I imagine wc during a major workout on his total gym....😁

(I didn't do it, blame Chuck...)
Nah, that was my normal wake up call during my Army days. Needed the extra push after those hard nights of partying. With reveille blasting and a hot cup of coffee on the night stand.

OK! I'M UP!, I'M UP!

I'm not saying today is a must win by any stretch...it is only Jan. 7th, but this is a game if the Cats are going to turn it around could be one of those games. We just gutted out a close victory (closer than it should have been) against LSU...if we beat Bama the Cats could really start to get some confidence. I don't think we are going to win, I don't have much confidence in them right now...lack of confidence more aimed at the coach than the players.

I hope they surprise me. Gawd I hope we see the Toppin that played against LSU. Kentucky is currently a 5.5 point underdog.

Good Morning D

Cold weather continues this morning. It is 37° with plenty of sunshine to come. That will move the temperature up to a high of 69° by midafternoon with a 0% chance of rain.

Last night was Friday Night at the Movies at my house and we watch an old one I have seen many time but not recently. "Oh Brother Where Art Thou". Great music and some funny scenes.

A good companion movie is "Down From The Mountain"

Good morning D-League. Sunny and mild in the east. Out walking before the sun came up. It’s been a beautiful morning.

Big day for the Cats today. No prediction but it is an opportunity to really get the season back on track.

My son heads back to Lexington today for his last semester. He worked hard and got all As but one last semester, and is determined to finish strong.

I hope you all have a good day.

Good morning all,

A bagel with cream cheese and butter along with coffee and coconut milk (unsweetened) really sets a cup of coffee off well. (Until I tire of it...)

My Darling and I are heading to the commissary shortly, then plan to make our rounds to the markets.

Have a great day and Go Cats!!!

(The BB in tow...)

Good morning all,

A bagel with cream cheese and butter along with coffee and coconut milk (unsweetened) really sets a cup of coffee off well. (Until I tire of it...)

My Darling and I are heading to the commissary shortly, then plan to make our rounds to the markets.

Have a great day and Go Cats!!!

(The BB in tow...)
Bought some brown eggs (18 pack carton) at the commissary yesterday at Sill and it was $8.00 for the carton. Prices pretty high there now too.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT