ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

Don't get me wrong, I'll take the win but the box score is disturbing. Wheeler, Oscar, Wallace and Toppin accounted for 65 of the 74 points. Livingston had 5 points and 1 rebound in 29 minutes. The only 2 that played off the bench were Collins (9 minutes) and Reeves (14 minutes) for a combined 4 points and 1 rebound. This team is not that deep. Thiero and Ugonna are young projects, Ware is Ware. CJ and Reeves seem to be regressing and Collins is a no-show. I think the talent is there but it just hasn't developed yet.

Good morning from ATX. Currently 46°F, clear and calm. We may hit 73°F before today is over.

Hate saying it, but this team is not that good. @UK82 is right. Box score is indeed disturbing. Double-digit leads disappear quickly.

Happy Hump Day, y'all.

spaghetti.jpg

Cal needs to stop playing not to lose and play to win. Geeze we had them when the score was 60-50 and then UK quit playing. I don't understand it.

Took LSU as a 10.5 point underdog...for 2 reasons...one, I don't see us beating many half way decent teams by 11 and the second reason...Cal takes the air out of the ball.

When the Cats were up 8 or 10, I wasn't nervous about my bet...I am always nervous this team might still lose the game because at the end UK/Cal is going to let them back in the game.

When we got up 10 I thought...'we will end up winning by only 4 or 5.' Turned out it was only 3 points, I should have lost my bet IF Cal had the mentality when he gets a lead of 'we are going to step on their throats and beat them by 17' but he doesn't do that so that is one reason to beat against him on the line.

I'm glad we won, but Toppin isn't going to play that well every game. This team better get use to trying to win close games, I don't think we are going to win many easy ones. Game was a must win for our hopes of making the NCAA tournament, had we lost to LSU with Bama and Tenn as 2 of our next 3 games our record could have got close to .500 real quick.

Last edited:
Saluting-Legionnaire.jpg

Morning Legionnaires!

31° this morning with 5-10mph winds. Today's high in the mid 50's and sunny.

Don't have high expectations for this team yet, but if we play the whole game like we did the first half last night my expectations will get higher. If Toppin can get consistent and play to the level he has the last two games with Livingston and Reeves hopefully living up to their potential we can make some noise. Wheeler will look better if they do because I believe he tries to do too much as it is right now. Also, as the season progresses and Wallace gets more experience, I believe he will be the go-to guy in tight situations.

I am finished now.

You folks have a wonderful and Blessed day.

Cal needs to stop playing not to lose and play to win. Geeze we had them when the score was 60-50 and then UK quit playing. I don't understand it.
There's a fable about a fox and a scorpion. The fox is about to swim across the river and the scorpion asks for a ride on his back. The fox says, "But you will bite me, and I will die!" The scorpion says, " I would not do that because we would both drown." The fox relents, but halfway across the river, the scorpion bites the fox. As they are drowning, the fox asks, "Why did you do that? Now we will die." The scorpion answers, "I couldn't help myself. I'm a scorpion. It's what I do."

Cal is a grinder. It's what he does.

Ha, the nurse was jabberjawing, took a pint and then some out of me. No issues. I am thankful. I feel so much better with less iron in my body/ blood ..like New money...

Normally a pint looks like this:

images

Mine was like this one but a little more full: (They do it by weight.)(The nurse looked a little concerned, I calmed her down. I told her in the beginning it only takes me about 7 minutes to drop a pint. She stated this time was 11 minutes. That bag was really about as full as possible but I needed it, also gave her a probably needed reality check as her jabberjawing was personal in nature. She ignored me as her patient, hopefully she has learned with no cost to anyone...

BloodDonation_GettyImages-115577310-645x645.jpg

Last edited:
Howdy folks. Just back from my first physical therapy session at the outpatient facility.

Overall, it went well and the therapist thought I was well-along for 19 days after surgery.

He did notice that I had a "Compensating Trendelenburg Gait." That's an expensive way of saying I limp a little. He assures me that can be fixed.

Thought the Cats played pretty well. They played the way they are going to have to p;lay to succeed -- pretty efficient on offense, not too many turnovers or wasted possessions. The defense could be open to criticism, but what I saw was an LSU team that shoots pretty well and is athletic enough that you can't overplay them on the perimeter having a better-than-normal shooting night.

I know some are frustrated with Cal slowing the game down at the end. And, there is evidence that it didn't totally succeed. But the way LSU was capable of scoring I don't see reducing the overall number of possessions when you have a lead as a terrible idea.

Anyway, we'll know more after the Alabama road game.

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong, I'll take the win but the box score is disturbing. Wheeler, Oscar, Wallace and Toppin accounted for 65 of the 74 points. Livingston had 5 points and 1 rebound in 29 minutes. The only 2 that played off the bench were Collins (9 minutes) and Reeves (14 minutes) for a combined 4 points and 1 rebound. This team is not that deep. Thiero and Ugonna are young projects, Ware is Ware. CJ and Reeves seem to be regressing and Collins is a no-show. I think the talent is there but it just hasn't developed yet.
Took LSU as a 10.5 point underdog...for 2 reasons...one, I don't see us beating many half way decent teams by 11 and the second reason...Cal takes the air out of the ball.
I'm glad we won, but Toppin isn't going to play that well every game. This team better get use to trying to win close games, I don't think we are going to win many easy ones. Game was a must win for our hopes of making the NCAA tournament, had we lost to LSU with Bama and Tenn as 2 of our next 3 games our record could have got close to .500 real quick.
This team gets better every week. Has NBA talent on the bench. Young men learn how to win by overcoming adversity. These guys are learning to win as a team. Oscar and Lance push back and 6' 9". Cason, Chris, Adou & Ugonna eyes wide open. I like these guys and enjoy watching them mature. CJ, Antonio, & Damion adjust to their more limited roles.​
Good morning D-League. It's currently 56° and cloudy here in Eastern Kentucky. This afternoon will bring scattered thunderstorms and a high of 66°.

Have a great hump day 🐪.
Qn9SJ2P1_o.jpg

Saluting-Legionnaire.jpg

Morning Legionnaires!

Don't have high expectations for this team yet, but if we play the whole game like we did the first half last night my expectations will get higher. If Toppin can get consistent and play to the level he has the last two games with Livingston and Reeves hopefully living up to their potential we can make some noise. Wheeler will look better if they do because I believe he tries to do too much as it is right now. Also, as the season progresses and Wallace gets more experience, I believe he will be the go-to guy in tight situations. I am finished.
I enjoy collegiate sports. It's not fair, but neither is life. Nor should it be, we 're born to grow through the challenge. If Cal can find his magic wand, this team has it all. I broke my crystal ball (replacement on backorder) and can only watch.

Howdy folks. Just back from my visit physical therapy session at the outpatient facility.

Overall, it went well and the therapist thought I was well-along for 19 days after surgery.

He did notice that I had a "Compensating Trendelenburg Gait." That's an expensive way of saying I limp a little. He assures me that can be fixed.

Thought the Cats played pretty well. They played the way they are going to have to p;lay to succeed -- pretty efficient on offense, not too many turnovers or wasted possessions. The defense could be open to criticism, but what I saw was an LSU team that shoots pretty well and is athletic enough that you can't overplay them on the perimeter having a better-than-normal shooting night.

I know some are frustrated with Cal slowing the game down at the end. And, there is evidence that it didn't totally succeed. But the way LSU was capable of scoring I don't see reducing the overall number of possessions when you have a lead as a terrible idea.

Anyway, we'll know more after the Alabama road game.

MdW,

I am happy you seem to be progressing well. It used to be in the not too long ago past that if you Trendelenburg'd in public you'd get in some serious trouble.

Wanted to take this time to address the stall ball approach. (I preface this stating my basketball knowledge is minimal at best. I am actually going by the common practice of using the best you have when you need to win theorem.) ;)

Cal uses that approach in every game I have ever seen him coach when he is ahead. The serious issue about what he does is that UK also has to score at times they are given a chance. For a lot of years UK cannot score enough at the end to keep a lead more often than not in those situations. A ten point lead evaporates with just minimal mistakes of UK not scoring which has exactly been UK's problem late in games (Even before this season for a good while now.) (In 2012, Bill Self was correct in hindsight. He did just run out of time.) (Cal needs to realize and real soon that all teams will not always just run out of time...)

While the mathematics agree with Cal's way of play and is even probably part of his coaching motivation. Players have to at least make free-throws and these UK players cannot, at least they cannot make them enough to play the way Cal plays, which is stall ball with a lead.

Cal should be the first to recognize deficiencies in his players and change play due to the strengths of his personnel but, Cal will not change according to his personnel or his players strengths. That is the issue with why UK lost the all time wins lead and very rarely now wins against ranked teams.

I blame every bit of that on coaching and not the players. Cal has the best ranked players.. He does and there is no denying that. The best ranked needs the best coached or at least real good coaching to get a team to the top. Cal is deficient in that he will not change his tactics to his personnel. (There are nuances in that statement but that is the gist of the issue.)

The one thing I do know is, you and I can have a conversation here in the D-League and it not turn into anything but a good experience, unlike the rest of this site. (You and I could have a conversation via the typed word or anywhere but the observers would surely chime in and try making it an argument.

BLUF: Win with what "brung" ya...

Thank you for that... (I'd have never post this in RR.)

Last edited:
MdW,

I am happy you seem to be progressing well. It used to be in the not too long ago past that if you Trendelenburg'd in public you'd get in some serious trouble.

Wanted to take this time to address the stall ball approach. (I preface this stating my basketball knowledge is minimal at best. I am actually going by the common practice of using the best you have when you need to win theorem.) ;)

Cal uses that approach in every game I have ever seen him coach when he is ahead. The serious issue about what he does is that UK also has to score at times they are given a chance. For a lot of years UK cannot score enough at the end to keep a lead more often than not in those situations. A ten point lead evaporates with just minimal mistakes of UK not scoring which has exactly been UK's problem late in games (Even before this season for a good while now.) (In 2012, Bill Self was correct in hindsight. He did just run out of time.) (Cal needs to realize and real soon that all teams will not always just run out of time...)

While the mathematics agree with Cal's way of play and is even probably part of his coaching motivation. Players have to at least make free-throws and these UK players cannot, at least they cannot make them enough to play the way Cal plays, which is stall ball with a lead.

Cal should be the first to recognize deficiencies in his players and change play due to the strengths of his personnel but, Cal will not change according to his personnel or his players strengths. That is the issue with why UK lost the all time wins lead and very rarely now wins against ranked teams.

I blame every bit of that on coaching and not the players. Cal has the best ranked players.. He does and there is no denying that. The best ranked needs the best coached or at least real good coaching to get a team to the top. Cal is deficient in that he will not change his tactics to his personnel. (There are nuances in that statement but that is the gist of the issue.)

The one thing I do know is, you and I can have a conversation here in the D-League and it not turn into anything but a good experience, unlike the rest of this site. (You and I could have a conversation via the typed word or anywhere but the observers would surely chime in and try making it an argument.

Thank you for that... (I'd have never post this in RR.)
BBUK, you may be right. Certainly, when a team is playing well and can keep stepping on the gas and run away from the opposition that's more satisfying that grinding out a closer win.

But what if you suddenly go cold, miss some of those shots that got you a workable lead, and the other team starts hitting some 30-footers? Is it better to have that scenario unfold over 30 possessions or 12? I will say Cal's approach could be labeled "don't lose" rather than "play to win." The thing is, we don't know if the Cats would have kept clicking last night (or on other occasions) or if given more possessions, the other team would hit some crazy hot streak and steal the game.

Here's my final word: Cal has been criticized for slowing things down in 2012, and as you say, maybe Self was right that "we just ran out of time." Well, isn't that a good thing? If a Kansas team capable of making the championship game got on a late hot streak, I'd be happy that they ran out of time.

That's oversimplified, but anyway, always glad to see your input.

BBUK, you may be right. Certainly, when a team is playing well and can keep stepping on the gas and run away from the opposition that's more satisfying that grinding out a closer win.

But what if you suddenly go cold, miss some of those shots that got you a workable lead, and the other team starts hitting some 30-footers? Is it better to have that scenario unfold over 30 possessions or 12? I will say Cal's approach could be labeled "don't lose" rather than "play to win." The thing is, we don't know if the Cats would have kept clicking last night (or on other occasions) or if given more possessions, the other team would hit some crazy hot streak and steal the game.

Here's my final word: Cal has been criticized for slowing things down in 2012, and as you say, maybe Self was right that "we just ran out of time." Well, isn't that a good thing? If a Kansas team capable of making the championship game got on a late hot streak, I'd be happy that they ran out of time.

That's oversimplified, but anyway, always glad to see your input.

Thanks, I bolded the words that caught me but a good post. That is my issue, they were clicking, why stop? Stop when you have to and within a couple plays that can be determined. Anyway, thanks...

Thanks, I bolded the words that caught me but a good post. That is my issue, they were clicking, why stop? Stop when you have to and within a couple plays that can be determined. Anyway, thanks...
Always a pleasure to trade insights with you, BBUK.

As for, "they were clicking, why stop?" I played basketball through college. I was a top scorer in high school (led the 9th Region in scoring in 1973) and more of a grinder in college, but I was around the game enough to know that no one knows why a team suddenly "stops clicking" and why another one starts clicking after being dead in the water. I've been in games when it seemed we were sailing to a blowout and suddenly everything shifted. And I've been in games when the opposite happened.

Cal's approach is to try to take that element of chance and "magical momentum" out of the equation. I'm not even saying I agree with him, but it isn't irrational.

This is an extreme example, but if I'm playing against an NBA player, I want the game to be first basket wins. Maybe I'll make an impossible shot. If I'm playing John Doe and I'm better than him, I want a long game, so he has less chance to get lucky. Rupp helped invent the faster pace on the theory that talent will prevail over more possessions. There is a middle ground in there somewhere as you have to be smart about it, but I like the more talent more possessions idea.

Cal's approach is to try to take that element of chance and "magical momentum" out of the equation. I'm not even saying I agree with him, but it isn't irrational.
He has the players that can take control and determine/impose the game outcome. He knows this. Just like he knows with cheating zebras and 3-pt shot, that a 10 pt double digit lead is not secure until about the 10 second mark.

As for, "they were clicking, why stop?" I played basketball through college. I was a top scorer in high school (led the 9th Region in scoring in 1973) and more of a grinder in college, but I was around the game enough to know that no one knows why a team suddenly "stops clicking" and why another one starts clicking after being dead in the water. I've been in games when it seemed we were sailing to a blowout and suddenly everything shifted. And I've been in games when the opposite happened.

That I can respect! As close as I got to playing basketball was when I was the gopher on my high school teams bench. My pardners were players and I hung with them for a season. When I played street basketball in the Detroit area all I did was play the thug under the basket. (I was good at that.)(I could never at my best, more than just barely jump off my toes..) At least I know it isn't irrational. Me, I have to take someone's word on it. Yours I have no issue respecting. Thanks

I just hope Cal gets it done this go-round...

(Baseball I can talk some nuances though I was rough and tumble in that game as well. I always liked Pete Rose and Ty Cobb...)

That I can respect! As close as I got to playing basketball was when I was the gopher on my high school teams bench. My pardners were players and I hung with them for a season. When I played street basketball in the Detroit area all I did was play the thug under the basket. (I was good at that.)(I could never at my best, more than just barely jump off my toes..) At least I know it isn't irrational. Me, I have to take someone's word on it. Yours I have no issue respecting. Thanks

I just hope Cal gets it done this go-round...

(Baseball I can talk some nuances though I was rough and tumble in that game as well. I always liked Pete Rose and Ty Cobb...)
Ever hear of Pete Reiser? Pee Wee Reese said if you think Pete Rose hustles, you ought to have seen Pete Reiser,

This is an extreme example, but if I'm playing against an NBA player, I want the game to be first basket wins. Maybe I'll make an impossible shot. If I'm playing John Doe and I'm better than him, I want a long game, so he has less chance to get lucky. Rupp helped invent the faster pace on the theory that talent will prevail over more possessions. There is a middle ground in there somewhere as you have to be smart about it, but I like the more talent more possessions idea.

Sir,
You could have saved me several typed paragraphs if you posted sooner... 😅

images

Ever hear of Pete Reiser? Pee Wee Reese said if you think Pete Rose hustles, you ought to have seen Pete Reiser,

Thanks for sharing that story about Pete Reiser, Bernie.

I had heard of him, but he was enough before my time that it was all pretty vague. Sounds like someone who would have been fun to watch. Those were the days my wife's father was a teenager haunting old Ebbett's Field on summer days. I wish he were still around to ask about "Pistol Pete."

Yes Sir, I remember that name. The part with Pete was his nastiness when he played. He played hard, too hard in several instances throughout his career but I honestly believe if Pete had not played as nasty as he did, he'd have never been much more than an also-ran in the bigs. His effort went past trying hard to nearly reckless abandon. He took out Ray Fosse and I watched that play when it happened. Pete went in with no turning back... Ty Cobb as well, I never saw him play, only read about him but he was considered a dirty player..

Your all's baseball stories remind me of a story about our church softball league when I was in college. I am small, but athletic and quick, strong for my size and played 2nd base mostly. I was running the bases and on second with a runner on first. A hard grounder to their shortstop (one of the bigger/better athletes in the league). He just stood there with the ball waiting on me expecting an easy out and double play. lol He didn't have to wait long. I sent him backwards and onto his rear end. Have I mentioned I don't like to lose.

Ha, the nurse was jabberjawing, took a pint and then some out of me. No issues. I am thankful. I feel so much better with less iron in my body/ blood ..like New money...

Normally a pint looks like this:

images

Mine was like this one but a little more full: (They do it by weight.)(The nurse looked a little concerned, I calmed her down. I told her in the beginning it only takes me about 7 minutes to drop a pint. She stated this time was 11 minutes. That bag was really about as full as possible but I needed it, also gave her a probably needed reality check as her jabberjawing was personal in nature. She ignored me as her patient, hopefully she has learned with no cost to anyone...

BloodDonation_GettyImages-115577310-645x645.jpg
Do you have issues with your iron levels? I went through several exams, etc. about 15 years ago when one test had very high levels. Nothing ever came of it though, but they sure had me worried.

Your all's baseball stories remind me of a story about our church softball league when I was in college. I am small, but athletic and quick, strong for my size and played 2nd base mostly. I was running the bases and on second with a runner on first. A hard grounder to their shortstop (one of the bigger/better athletes in the league). He just stood there with the ball waiting on me expecting an easy out and double play. lol He didn't have to wait long. I sent him backwards and onto his rear end. Have I mentioned I don't like to lose.

I don't mind losing if there is nothing on the line. When I played baseball and softball I never played in one of those nothing on the line type games.

If I do something where I need to win, something comes over me and I can bring anything I do up a level or two. With nothing on the line, I seem to assess who needs the win more. Just me I guess. I do have a serious killer instinct but I have been able to turn it off and on when required or I see a good able to be done... Maybe like Gomer Pyle..

The big fella needed a lesson, the little fella didn't... ;)

Do you have issues with your iron levels? I went through several exams, etc. about 15 years ago when one test had very high levels. Nothing ever came of it though, but they sure had me worried.

Not at all telling you what to do but one of the most neglected things that are notorious in men and women from German and Irish decent is hemochromatosis. (Your body does not get rid of iron readily.)

My brother who is 9 years and 51 weeks older than me (71) is a retired corporate jet pilot. He had much more extensive physical tests. In about 2005 he contacted me telling me he had tested positive for the disease. (It cannot be transmitted, must be inherited.)

His ferritin levels when it was found out was something in the neighborhood 1700. Mine when I was tested was 600 or 700.

The treatment... dropping a pint of blood on a regular basis. The reason mine was no where near what my brothers was is due to me regularly having donated blood.

To give you some comparison. My ferritin level this blood test before earlier today was 73. I drop a pint every three months and this schedule has kept me around that level which I think 150 and below is okay.

There was a time that they took blood from me every two weeks to get me within the acceptable range. The treatment for this disease is very simple. Take an old pint of blood out and let the body build new blood.

I ask you to take this serious. Why? The side effects? Slow, lethargic, or you just fall over dead. (Seriously.) Many, many men and woman of Irish German decent reaching the age of 65 to 74, just fall over dead. (Not at all stating there are not other causes but this one is not well publicized.) I did some in depth studies and then watched many older than me. I saw their legs with lots of discoloration near their legs, feet, and ankles. Something I had when I started treatment and the extent is minimal now.

Below is some information but there is much more. In any event please take this serious.

One of the many, many reasons you will see me state my thankfulness.

I have Gilbert's syndrome as well but that is treated similarly to what I am doing now and I do nothing different so I don't dwell on it much though it is also serious.

All was found in a genetic test at the same time when I had it done in 2005.

Edit: I also had to change my diet. Cheerios are a no no. (An ity bity bowl is 200% of your daily iron.) I won't go into the normal Jethro bowl I'd use which would put it at nearer 2000%. I eat plenty of greens and natural iron but that seems to not cause any issues.

Thanks BBUK. The high iron test results were when I really started weightlifting hard and serious. Eating everything that didn't run away from me and trying to gain weight (don't laugh). I ended up going to another Doc and I was in a waiting room full of well, let's say not very healthy people. I waited and waited and then they called me up and asked me to "follow them". I ended up in the rich Doc's nice office and waited a lot more. Holy Crap I must be really bad off. ????????? When I finally got seen by the nurses and Doc, took my blood, told me I should be fine, and sent me home. I called for results....everything fine. Shew, they sure had me concerned.

I'll keep an eye out for those ferritin levels.

Are you King Kelly Colman?!!!!!!

Going to the office in the morning. I promised some heavy lifting to a few by COB Friday. Let's see what I can accomplish. (Purposely did that to pressure myself into working.) Nothing but good can come of it so, why not give it ye old college try...

Have a fine what's left of your evening and in case I don't get the chance early, have a great morning where ever you are...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT