ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

I have been there often.

Pittsburgh is a nice town until lately. Pittsburg, the town that steel and coal build, and now the dumb asses have elected a Senator that hates both industries. How do they get that damned stupid.
It's puzzling for sure.

Anywho, just wanted to do a buzz by the D-L. Temps are about to take the plunge here in LVille. Speaking of which, tough loss for the Birds last night. That's too bad...

Good morning from ATX. Currently 68°F and cloudy. Today's high expected around 71°F. Monster cold front moving through after thunderstorms pushing temperatures down to 39°F.

Off today, but must take pup to vet for an ultrasound at 8 am. Plan on hitting up BJs Brewhouse for lunch. Riding bus around 3 pm to main shopping area and dropping by Red Robin and Buffalo Wild Wings. Back by 6 pm for the game.

Duquesne Dukes vs Cats tonight at 6 pm CST. Go Cats!

Wishing happiness and health for all our fellow D-League members.

GettyImages-1302052799.jpg

Veterans day. My son spent most of Wednesday putting them out in Spencer County. In Smiths Grove our Ladies Club does it.

It is a warm 59.9°F and we are to get to 65°F before the temps start going down really good tonight. It is supposed to get to 34° early tomorrow morning.

We so far have been gifted with .35" of rain so far and it is raining pretty hard as I type.

Game tonight. I love basketball.

Morning Legionnaires! Happy Veterans Day!

43° this morning with the high of 44° expected. Very windy this morning making if feel much colder.

Wife wants to go shopping this morning so we will be leaving in about 2 hours or so.

In remembrance of Veterans Day, I was looking through some old pictures from back around 1977-78. The one pictured below was between me and another soldier named Brewer who was a big Nebraska farm boy. We were horsing around and doing a little Army hand to hand throws and I got him up in the air demonstrating a hip throw. No, no one got hurt. We were getting ready to go out for a night on the town in Frankfurt Germany.

20220512-092309.jpg

43° this morning with the high of 44° expected. Very windy this morning making if feel much colder.

Wife wants to go shopping this morning so we will be leaving in about 2 hours or so.

In remembrance of Veterans Day, I was looking through some old pictures from back around 1977-78. The one pictured below was between me and another soldier named Brewer who was a big Nebraska farm boy. We were horsing around and doing a little Army hand to hand throws and I got him up in the air demonstrating a hip throw. No, no one got hurt. We were getting ready to go out for a night on the town in Frankfurt Germany.

20220512-092309.jpg

Warrior wakes up...says good morning to everyone, also here is picture of a time I killed this guy and laughed.

Good morning D-League. Rainy and cold in the east. I put on some rain gear and took a walk but after about a mile I was getting soaked and freezing and decided I had too much work to do and scampered home like a wuss.

Thanks to all the veterans in the group.

For Veterans Day I commissioned a writer to interview some veterans who'd served in different conflicts -- including two people I'd first met while covering Desert Storm. I thought it came out pretty good, if anyone is looking for something Veterans Day related to read.

Not a tease for the package, but I found the first guy a real bad ass: A Lakota who traced his family back to specific men who fought Custer, then through servving in the US Army in WW1 and WW2. He was a combat medic and Vietnam, and his sons have served in Iraq. Now that's some serious family heritage. The Vietnamese American who was a refuge as a kid and ended up a Marine chopper pilot is a guy I got to know in Saudi in 1990-91, and we've stayed friends. And the female surgeon shot down over Iraq in a rescue chopper was also someone I knew during Desert Storm. A good friend of mine wrote her book.

20220512-092309.jpg

Now THAT'S a dip....

Glad I am aware of your persuasion....

Also glad we are about a thousand miles apart.

I knew if we lived close you'd be chasing me most days, and from what I've learned you'd catch me too. I'm just a hard head.

Yeah, I say it but some don't believe me. I "ain't" got the sense God gave a goose....

😁😍😇

My 3rd cousin was a Pearl Harbor (Arizona) survivor who just passed away a few years ago. My Mom is from Alaska and Washington and I did not even know this until about 10 years ago. He wrote a book "Second to the Last to Leave" and was the last to be interred on the Arizona. Interesting man and it was unfortunate that I never had the opportunity to meet him.

A lazy rainy day and I'm thankful. I thought we may have headed out to harvest some oysters. I'd have done it but it's about a hundred and eighty mile trip one way. I didn't wanna do it but we probably will tomorrow.

I am looking forward to watching the game....

Last edited:
Hello,

I had a great find yesterday late. If these stand up they are my Great-Grandparents on my Dad's side. I have asked for verification from the person that posted them. I imagine he will say yes somehow but I'd like to know his relationship to them as well.

Elizabeth Cadle Laws​

159945503_152a9801-e33f-4c12-b27e-cf73b40bca90.jpeg

Henry H. Laws​

200642023_b73036c2-3ab2-4371-98b8-c2ecfdfb7cf0.jpeg

They both are buried in Ewing, VA

I am in deed...thankful to see and know the names of my Great Grandparents.

Last edited:
I have a couple of his movies Sir. I think I am going to watch Destry. (Not at all making light of his being the most decorated to ever serve.)
Mention of the Audie Murphy film reminded me of my uncle as he was his hero and he watched every movie Audie Murphy made. Many times over.

WWII produced a different type of American than we have today. This little man (boy) below was my uncle and he was born in Pike Co, KY in October 1925, the son of a coal miner. He was small in stature but would fight to the death and never back down. When the Japs bombed Pearl Harbor on Dec 7, 1941 he decided to join the Navy. He had never been more than 50 miles from home and had never seeb a boat bigger than 10 or 12 feet.

He went down to the recruiting office, age 16, and joined up. He told me the recruiter asked him how old he was and he said he was 17. The recruiter said well you have to have your parents permission and Uncle Charles answer that she gave it to him before he came down. The man said she had to sign the papers and Uncle Charles answered she did have time to mess with him. Believe it or not the recruiter signed him up. 16 years old.

This was late December 1941 and he was told to report to Great Lakes, MI for Boot Camp after January 2, 1942. In the Spring he was on his way to the South Pacific, 6 months before he was 17. He served from 1941 to the end of the Korean War. Charles was a hell raiser from the first day, probably because he was teased for being small and so young. Some might say he was "Mean As Hell" but he was just a mountain boy from the hills of Kentucky.

There are probably a million stories like his.

45872868_2047406738645725_1200470602209558528_n.jpg

This man was a pretty good Veteran. I would want him in my foxhole.

315259441_3519829028304349_6996567162765060882_n.jpg
My son and I used to go over to Arlington Cemetery, just a Metro ride for us, and just wander around, letting ourselves stumble upon history as we went along.

I remember one day we walked right up on Audie Murphy's grave. It inspired me to go back and read his excellent autobiography to Hell and Back. How he survived is just miraculous.

My son and I used to go over to Arlington Cemetery, just a Metro ride for us, and just wander around, letting ourselves stumble upon history as we went along.

I remember one day we walked right up on Audie Murphy's grave. It inspired me to go back and read his excellent autobiography to Hell and Back. How he survived is just miraculous.

Audie Murphy was special. A little fellow that could.

Mention of the Audie Murphy film reminded me of my uncle as he was his hero and he watched every movie Audie Murphy made. Many times over.

WWII produced a different type of American than we have today. This little man (boy) below was my uncle and he was born in Pike Co, KY in October 1925, the son of a coal miner. He was small in stature but would fight to the death and never back down. When the Japs bombed Pearl Harbor on Dec 7, 1941 he decided to join the Navy. He had never been more than 50 miles from home and had never seeb a boat bigger than 10 or 12 feet.

He went down to the recruiting office, age 16, and joined up. He told me the recruiter asked him how old he was and he said he was 17. The recruiter said well you have to have your parents permission and Uncle Charles answer that she gave it to him before he came down. The man said she had to sign the papers and Uncle Charles answered she did have time to mess with him. Believe it or not the recruiter signed him up. 16 years old.

This was late December 1941 and he was told to report to Great Lakes, MI for Boot Camp after January 2, 1942. In the Spring he was on his way to the South Pacific, 6 months before he was 17. He served from 1941 to the end of the Korean War. Charles was a hell raiser from the first day, probably because he was teased for being small and so young. Some might say he was "Mean As Hell" but he was just a mountain boy from the hills of Kentucky.

There are probably a million stories like his.

45872868_2047406738645725_1200470602209558528_n.jpg

We DO need that now Sir. Call it right or wrong, we need the conviction that his "type" had. The conviction to serve your country, maybe albeit serving yourself as well. (Nothing wrong with that.) The issue is who and what you put first. You don't have to be a saint. You do need to be a man. Too many males fall short these days.

It is not gender dysphoria, it is doing the right thing no matter the cost. It is caring about yourself (So you may think.) more than others to be someone who is not ashamed. I will stop but that mentality is what keeps me wanting to work and be engaged with those who can someday make a difference. I could easily pack it in and take care of my family for the time I have left but this thought always keeps nagging me..................................... If not me, who?

Yeah I got solemn. I am solemn all of the time but I also enjoy watching those around me have a good time, a good clean time.

On this day when so many gave all they had, can't we at least be willing to give all we have.... Just a thought...

Have a great rest of your day!

Me supper...

That is home made noodle soup where My Darling made the noodles from scratch. The other items are self-harvested clams and oysters, along with some beef, garlic, green onions, and whatever else My Darling includes... Yeah, again, I am thankful......

313416542_6189822601031268_8042012501086088433_n.jpg

After this type of meal the Cats need to lay a beat down on a duke anything, Except.... The Duke. ;)

Last edited:
My 3rd cousin was a Pearl Harbor (Arizona) survivor who just passed away a few years ago. My Mom is from Alaska and Washington and I did not even know this until about 10 years ago. He wrote a book "Second to the Last to Leave" and was the last to be interred on the Arizona. Interesting man and it was unfortunate that I never had the opportunity to meet him.

Visited USS AZ some 10 years ago. There are marble blocks with places to inscribe names of those survivors who may want to be buried there. Sad somber place. Like Tomb of the Unknown and Vietnam Memorial.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT