ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

Good Monday Morning

It is 64° as we wait for the sun to rise. The high will be 85° with sunny skies all day and a 2% chance of rain. A nice day to golf, go fishing or just walk on the beach.

I trust all are well and have a great day.

312923650_10209392496646584_2015766417773290632_n.jpg

Good morning from ATX. Currently 53°F and clear. Today's high maxing out around 79°F.

Sure wrong about last night's exhibition game broadcast. Luckily we now have SEC+ ready to go. Fell asleep, but awoke to a low final score. Different team without Oscar.

Happy Halloween. Monday, Monday,,,,,

Wishing happiness and health for all our fellow D-League members.

a69d75e8bbce52c9431ebe21d4e0d200.png

Good morning! I'm on my 2nd cup of coffee already. I sure thought this would be the place that started real early in the morning. I sure didn't want to get up at 4AM but my sleep patterns suck.

Oh 58 degrees and raining here in SE KY. I'm getting ready to go on a group hike here in the mountains...going to get wet.

Good morning, D-League!

Cool and damp 58° out here in the little holler. Creek is happy to have some fresh water again. Just bubblin and tricklin away. I don't mind that it's made more work for me.

Wonderful dream to end the night and begin the day. Haven't had that in way too long. Hope it's a good day for everyone. Off to make breakfast for the ladies.

Good morning! I'm on my 2nd cup of coffee already. I sure thought this would be the place that started real early in the morning. I sure didn't want to get up at 4AM but my sleep patterns suck.

Oh 58 degrees and raining here in SE KY. I'm getting ready to go on a group hike here in the mountains...going to get wet.
Good morning storm1507 and I too would like to welcome you to the D League.

We are a group of folks living all over the country that enjoy each other's company and sharing interests with a little humor thrown in. It is a good place to take off your shoes and just lay back.

We try to keep it light hearted and informative. Looking forward to your thoughts and interests.

Good morning storm1507 and I too would like to welcome you to the D League.

We are a group of folks living all over the country that enjoy each other's company and sharing interests with a little humor thrown in. It is a good place to take off your shoes and just lay back.

We try to keep it light hearted and informative. Looking forward to your thoughts and interests.
Thanks. A "little" intro so you all know a little about who you're dealing with.

Lived in Lexington as a kid, moved out on a farm at 11 and graduated HS there and then graduated from UK.

Got a job in SE KY so off to the mountains. Blessed to meet a great young lady and have stayed in the mountains for over 35 years now.

No kids so was able to retire fairly early 3 years ago and love it.

Interests- All things outdoors, hunting, fishing, hiking, kayaking, etc; traveling, eating and cooking, and UK sports. My wife shares all the interests except the sports.

My usernames are always some kind of combination of my pet's names and my old unit number.

So now you all know just about everything. ;)

Thanks. A "little" intro so you all know a little about who you're dealing with.

Lived in Lexington as a kid, moved out on a farm at 11 and graduated HS there and then graduated from UK.

Got a job in SE KY so off to the mountains. Blessed to meet a great young lady and have stayed in the mountains for over 35 years now.

No kids so was able to retire fairly early 3 years ago and love it.

Interests- All things outdoors, hunting, fishing, hiking, kayaking, etc; traveling, eating and cooking, and UK sports. My wife shares all the interests except the sports.

My usernames are always some kind of combination of my pet's names and my old unit number.

So now you all know just about everything. ;)
You are our kind of people. From one retired man to another. :p

Morning Legionnaires!

44° this morning with the high to be around 74° and up to 20mph winds.

Not much planned today other than the early morning workout and later morning training session with my student. Got my candy ready for the night but will let wife and daughter handle it because I will be posted up in front of my TV watching the Bengals and Browns on Monday night football.

Yeah, @storm1507 I too wake up early in the mornings. Been up since 0330 this morning. Most times it is around 0400 not by design but by habit. Also have a passion for fishing (sometimes with a kayak) and generally give a report to the D-league after getting home. Will go fishing this coming Wednesday in the late afternoon. Bass is all I fish for these days with a lot of pond jumping at Ft. Sill. Below is a picture from the month of September 2018 after getting off work at Sill and going straight to one of my go to ponds.

20180907-181919.jpg

Morning Legionnaires!

Not much planned today other than the early morning workout and later morning training session with my student. Got my candy ready for the night but will let wife and daughter handle it because I will be posted up in front of my TV watching the Bengals and Browns on Monday night football.

Yeah, @storm1507 I too wake up early in the mornings. Been up since 0330 this morning. Most times it is around 0400 not by design but by habit. Also have a passion for fishing (sometimes with a kayak) and generally give a report to the D-league after getting home. Will go fishing this coming Wednesday in the late afternoon. Bass is all I fish for these days with a lot of pond jumping at Ft. Sill. Below is a picture from the month of September 2018 after getting off work at Sill and going straight to one of my go to ponds.
Nice. Dad (81) and I have a place on Lake Cumberland and concentrate on stripers. He hasn't had the drive the last couple of years and we haven't done as good lately.

Good morning D-League. Pretty good weekend. Saw some incredible color in the mountains near the MD-VA-WVA border confluence. Then chilled out with Halloween movies in the evenings.

Couldn't catch the exhibition game. Perhaps just as well. Don't know how much to read into what I understand was a lackluster performance. But just scrolling Rafters reminded me that I have to try my best to stay away from that place between now and April. There are about 6-7 people over there who have turned it into a toxic waste dump. Evevn with all of them on ignore they trigger enough other negativity to make it an unwholesome place.

Back to work now, from home today. I'll be around for the few straggler Trick-or-Treaters. Seems like there was a boom of kids during the years ours were young, that has now died out to a trickle. I guess, like us, people held onto their houses after their kids grew, and there hasn't been enough turnover in the extended neighborhood to replenish.

Happy Halloween, just the same. I hope everyone has a good day.

Good morning folks. It is a cloudy 60.6°F on our way to 66° with a 20% chance of rain. We had .25" on my rain gauge yesterday morning and now that event is up to .56". Hopefully we will get a little more.

@storm1507 I think you are going to fit in like a glove with the D-League. It is good to have you. When @warrior-cat goes fishing we have to pray for the poor fish. When @BBUK goes fishing we pray for him, but when BBUK goes crabbing we have to pray for the poor crabs. If I go fishing the fish laugh!

The basketball Cats looked out of sync, but I guess that is okay except we did not look as good as in August. Of course Oscar leaves a big hole in the team.

ESPN's production of the game was subpar. On ESPN+ at halftime they simply put up a screen that said our event was at halftime, with not a video or audio feed, not even music. Plus I hate that SEC Network crams games too close to each other. The soccer game ran over an hour into the UK game, thus we had to watch ESPN+. It was easier to follow my Cats before the SEC Network. On the UK Network and living in Kentucky we got it all. Even when I lived in Florida with my big sat. dish I got it all. Now I have to take the highest level of cable packages and also subscribe to ESPN+ to get all the games. I am not a happy camper. Disney is my enemy.

Good morning folks. It is a cloudy 60.6°F on our way to 66° with a 20% chance of rain. We had .25" on my rain gauge yesterday morning and now that event is up to .56". Hopefully we will get a little more.

@storm1507 I think you are going to fit in like a glove with the D-League. It is good to have you. When @warrior-cat goes fishing we have to pray for the poor fish. When @BBUK goes fishing we pray for him, but when BBUK goes crabbing we have to pray for the poor crabs. If I go fishing the fish laugh!

The basketball Cats looked out of sync, but I guess that is okay except we did not look as good as in August. Of course Oscar leaves a big hole in the team.

ESPN's production of the game was subpar. On ESPN+ at halftime they simply put up a screen that said our event was at halftime, with not a video or audio feed, not even music. Plus I hate that SEC Network crams games too close to each other. The soccer game ran over an hour into the UK game, thus we had to watch ESPN+. It was easier to follow my Cats before the SEC Network. On the UK Network and living in Kentucky we got it all. Even when I lived in Florida with my big sat. dish I got it all. Now I have to take the highest level of cable packages and also subscribe to ESPN+ to get all the games. I am not a happy camper. Disney is my enemy.
No offense to you my friend, but sorry to hear you have crabs. Hope the doctor gives you good meds and you get well soon.

Morning Legionnaires!

20180907-181919.jpg

Moby Bass ...

If I knew what an uneventful day was I'd be in good shape but I have no concept where "normal" is concerned....

Call me........................ Weirdo Wolfie

15334ee7f4d7187b884e898c4166e82a.gif

Want to know the real funny. I did a search for the Weirdo wolfie song and it has been censored. Can you believe that... (I played it here previously...)

Last edited:
Heck, if I could figure out how to post a pic I could show you all the exact spot and you still couldn't find me.

All my relatives grew up on the Y in Middlesboro. I walked that road many times when we would visit from Michigan where my Dad and Mom moved. I was born a Michigander but to hear me you couldn't tell it. (For the time I lived in Middlesboro, right before and, right after I got out of the Army I stomped the snot out of several hollars.) In Beans fork I knew some Burchfields, and up Notown way I knew some Gaylors, well, at least a couple of the girls...

I am the youngest except for one cousin from a family with seven brothers and a sister who all lived in Middlesboro. Me being the youngest at 61 leaves a lot already gone. My Dad was the youngest as well.

I know what you mean though...

This is supposed to be a Rodney Dangerfield poem...

“‘Twas the night before Christmas. Believe me, I checked. Like every year prior, I’d get no respect. My folks were so poor, we put lights on a stump, in hopes that St. Nick would still visit this dump."

All my relatives grew up on the Y in Middlesboro. I walked that road many times when we would visit from Michigan where my Dad and Mom moved. I was born a Michigander but to hear me you couldn't tell it. (For the time I lived in Middlesboro, right before and, right after I got out of the Army I stomped the snot out of several hollars.) In Beans fork I knew some Burchfields, and up Notown way I knew some Gaylors, well, at least a couple of the girls...

I am the youngest except for one cousin from a family with seven brothers and a sister who all lived in Middlesboro. Me being the youngest at 61 leaves a lot already gone. My Dad was the youngest as well.

During my career I was responsible for the eastern 1/4 up to the eastern 1/2 of the state. So I've been to many of those hard to reach places in a lot of KY's counties. I sometimes miss those early morning or late night drives........sometimes.

I lived about 1/8 mile up the Noetown Road from the mouth of Beans Fork. You could live in one house in Beans Fork and go to M'boro High School and your next door neighbor went to Bell County High School. M'boro had no school buses but Bell High School did. They had to ride a school bus about 20 miles.

Last edited:
I lived about 1/8 mile up the Noetown Road from the mouth of Beans Fork. You could live in one house in Beans Fork and go to M'boro High School and your next door neighbor went to Bell County High School. M'boro had no school buses but Bell High School did. They had to ride a school bus about 20 miles.

I went to that middle school for a very short time on the Noetown road. (Been a long time.) We lived in the cinder block house my Dad rented. Rented from a man named Dewey Young. That guy gave me a guitar. I was only in the second or third grade but I will never forget him. He was nice to me. My own Uncle Fred cheated me out of it.

A man my Aunt married was Silas Howerton, his Dad was Doc Howerton, a minister as I remember at the time. Many stated a true man of God that was filled with the Holy Ghost and did some miracles. (I heard my Dad talk of him but I may have met him but my memory is nil about it other than that.)

My cousin married a Webb. My paternal grandma was a Laws.

Also remember the Vantoy Medley grocery store very well. My Aunt lived in the projects down the road back behind that store. (I sent her some dough when I joined the Army but my cousin Wayne stole it from his mom.)

Yeah I never claimed many of my relatives though I have a few decent ones. (They never claim me either that I know of...)

Just dropping some names in case you may know or knew of them.

Last edited:
I went to that middle school for a very short time on the Noetown road. (Been a long time.) We lived in the cinder block house my Dad rented. Rented from a man named Dewey Young. That guy gave me a guitar. I was only in the second or third grade but I will never forget him. He was nice to me. My own Uncle Fred cheated me out of it.

A man my Aunt married was Silas Howerton, his Dad was Doc Howerton, a minister as I remember at the time. Many stated a true man of God that was filled with the Holy Ghost and did some miracles. (I heard my Dad talk of him but I may have met him but my memory is nil about it other than that.)

My cousin married a Webb. My paternal grandma was a Laws.

Also remember the Vantoy Medley grocery store very well. My Aunt lived in the projects down the road back behind that store. (I sent her some dough when I joined the Army but my cousin Wayne stole it from his mom.)

Yeah I never claimed many of my relatives though I have a few decent ones. (They never claim me either that I know of...)

Just dropping some names in case you may know or knew of them.

I went to that Noetown School from Grade 1-8. There was no kindergarten back then and no junior high/middle school for kids from Noetown. I entered 1st grade the first year that block building was built (1949 I believe). I was still 5 years old for a couple of months when I started 1st Grade.

Good morning from ATX. Currently 59°F and partly cloudy. Got some light rain after trick or treat last night. Today's high topping out around 74°F.

Must go into office this morning. Picking up a new iPhone. I've had my current-issued phone for roughly 5 years.

Wishing happiness and health for all our fellow D-League members.

Deep-Fried-Clams-Day.png

Morning Legionnaires!

46° this morning with a high of 76° expected. Sunshine and light winds all day.

No Trick or Treaters last night which is close to the norm. We generally get a few but that is the neighbor's kids and their friends next door before they venture out to the houses behind us. We live on the main road to our housing area with the speed limit at 45mph so, most just go to the area behind us that is off of the main road to avoid speeders. We did see a lot of cars with kids in them and trucks pulling trailers loaded with kids in the streets behind us. That has been the norm in the last bunch of years with both parents and the kids getting lazier. Yep, get loads of candy with no exercise.

We have a single elimination tournament tonight in the fall softball league. Starts at 18:30 and is supposed to be finished by 22:30. Jammed the thumb on my glove hand sparring with my student yesterday and it is sore this morning but, I will play as we will only have 10 players tonight.

Everyone stay safe out there today and God Bless.

Not sure if the D-League already paid its respects to The Killer and I missed it, but I figure there is room for one more goodbye. What a voice. What an exciting, unmatched entertainer.
This is my favorite version of that old Hank Williams song. Jerry Lee rerecorded it several years on a different label but the Sun version was the best.

I am a big Emmylou fan and this one with Jerry Lee was a good one. Jerry Lee played the piano like a Pentecostal on Sunday Night. Smokin'

Good morning D
63° and the sun is rising. The high should reach 85° with plenty of beautiful sunshine.

We had two trick or "treaters". The local churches have events that draws the majority of the kids, good clean fun and plenty of treats. Halloween sure is different now that when I was a kid. Well the entire world is different. I have to think hard to come up with something that is the same. It is as if America took their entire culture and trashed it. Crazy stuff.

I might put down some more Roundup and head off the weeds before they get out of control. The lawn needs mowing but the lawn boy can take care of that. As life goes on.

Breakfast is being served. I was raised on this stuff and find myself craving it often as the days go by.

312061615_5674007012660132_8274963625201724307_n.jpg

This is my favorite version of that old Hank Williams song. Jerry Lee rerecorded it several years on a different label but the Sun version was the best.

I am a big Emmylou fan and this one with Jerry Lee was a good one. Jerry Lee played the piano like a Pentecostal on Sunday Night. Smokin'

Very nice Sawnee. Crazy Arms is another JLL favorite. Nobody played the piano like him, and by that I don't mean he had unmatched technique or virtuosity. Guys like Art Tatum and Bud Powell and some other jazz pianists were pretty damn great. But Jerry Lee had a very personal and exciting style.

Emmylou was familiar with that Hank song "You Win Again" from her classic version with Gram Parsons which I’ve posted here, and is a favorite, along with the JLL Sun version.

Happy November D-League. We had a scattering of trick or treaters. At one point I calculated that I’d given out 24 mini candy bars and eaten 11. That’s a reasonable ratio I figure.

Hope you all have a good day.

Last edited:
Very nice Sawnee. Emmylou was familiar with the song from her classic version with Gram Parsons which I’ve posted here, and is a favorite, along with the JLL Sun version.

Happy November D-League. We had a scattering of trick or treaters. At one point I calculated that I’d given out 24 mini candy bars and eaten 11. That’s a reasonable ratio I figure.

Hope you all have a good day.
I live off a rarely traveled road and then a dead end short gravel road. I have never had a trick or treater. Several years ago after a bad ice storm where much of the county lost power, I was literally the last person in the county to get power back.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT