ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

Good morning from ATX. Currently 60°F and clear. Storm front came through last night bringing lovely rain. It also brought a tornado or two and storm damage just north of us. Today's high may reach 76°F.

Heading in to work around 10:15 am for Diwali or "Festival of Light" celebration. Since I know zero about Indian cuisine, I volunteered to bring sparkling water.

Wishing happiness and health for all our fellow D-League members.

World-Pasta-Day-October-25.jpg

@Bert Higginbotha

You said before you like to re-watch the films of UK games and I believe you said you have multiple games you are watching at once on gameday, so I'm assuming you have seen Tennessee some...what are your thoughts...or anyone here's thoughts...about UK being a 12.5 point underdog currently? I will admit, I'm not confident right now in a UK victory, but I think the Cats keep it close.

You're talking about Schützenschnur Abzeichen (Weapons Proficiency Badge). Below is a rare photo of me actually qualifying for the award, assisted by Deutsches Luftwaffe airmen. Note the Walther P-38. I qualified silver, barely.

312944466_10227149901033965_3144055241056626655_n.jpg

Never wore it because I qualified for another higher award. According to AR 670-1, we're only allowed one foreign award on dress blues/greens back then. Earned Luftwaffe ABC/Se-Personal Bronze // Air Force NBC Protection Badge in Bronze. According to DA back in 1986, only 7 of us had earned such a badge since 1955.

312981655_10227149905354073_461734675624019998_n.jpg

s-l1600.jpg
Yep, we qualified with several weapons that day and they also had other events when we did it.

Did you ever do the 5-day competition where teams did land nav, physical fitness, first aid, weapons qual, force on force comp with MILES gear, defense of a fixed site and defense of a field storage site while stationed with your unit in the 59th ORD? Can't remember what they called it. They did it every year with various different nations where Americans and host nations worked together as 15 member teams. Usually, 8 host nations soldiers with 7 Americans per team. Did it one year and there were 18 teams. Had Belgians as our host nation with my team. We were handicapped during the force on force, defense of the fixed site, and defense of the field storage site due to the fact that the Belgian Fals did not work with MILES. So, we were basically 7 against 15 when being attacked.

For those wondering, MILES (Multi integrated Laser Engagement System) was a form of laser tag using lasers attached to actual weapons with blanks activating the lasers. Each soldier wore harnesses that had sensors that received the lasers triggering an alarm on the harness that sounded (annoyingly) when you were hit.

Last edited:
I have Mr. Carbo, have had several. The best devise I can give you is when it moves, just get in the floor, have your wife put a pair of high heels on and walk on your back, just kidding!!! Best thing is to start drinking as much water as you can, also start drinking 100% cranberry juice, water with lemon or lemonade and lots of it, not cocktail mixes straight cranberry. I have heard that drinking a beer will help, I haven't tried a beer. Last one I had was 3 years ago, spent three days in the hospital, they had me walking as much as I could, they said walking helps make it move. It finally moved away from my kidney enough that they took me down a busted it up. I had to lay on a table, brought some type of machine that was over my stomach and underneath the metal table, then they put me to sleep, when I woke up everything was ok. Pissed a bunch of little stones and a lot of blood which was scary, went home the next day. Wasn't the best place to spend our anniversary but what could I do? Like I said drink, drink and drink!!!!!!
I tried a mix once that is 2 ounces of olive oil with two ounces of lemon juice mix. Nasty going down but, it worked for me and a friend I told about it.

Good morning folks.

Rainy and cool in the east.

Finally have complete possession of my house again - my wife’s old friend and husband back to Atlanta. In the end, I liked him fine. We spent lots of time talking about things of mutual interest. His wife —high volume and constant talker, especially when in the wine, which was the whole three-day weekend. I’m sure you know the type.

Ah well. I got through it without any slights or shenanigans I’d have to walk back with my wife.

Fog has settled in as I look out the subway car window. Appropriately eerie for Halloween week. Got my giant bags of Milky Way and Butterfinger miniatures -should have about a hundred left after trick or treat, based on the volume of recent years. Did I say I love Halloween?

Yep, we qualified with several weapons that day and they also had other events when we did it.

Did you ever do the 5-day competition where teams did land nav, physical fitness, first aid, weapons qual, force on force comp with MILES gear, defense of a fixed site and defense of a field storage site while stationed with your unit in the 59th ORD? Can't remember what they called it. They did it every year with various different nations where Americans and host nations worked together as 15 member teams. Usually, 8 host nations soldiers with 7 Americans per team. Did it one year and there were 18 teams. Had Belgians as our host nation with my team. We were handicapped during the force on force, defense of the fixed site, and defense of the field storage site due to the fact that the Belgian Fals did not work with MILES. So, we were basically 7 against 15 when being attacked.

For those wondering, MILES (Multi integrated Laser Engagement System) was a form of laser tag using lasers attached to actual weapons with blanks activating the lasers. Each soldier wore harnesses that had sensors that received the lasers triggering an alarm on the harness that sounded (annoyingly) when you were hit.
Yeah, we also qualified with G3 rifle and MG 3 machine-gun for the badge. Similar to its predecessor, MG 42, MG 3 just spits rounds out downrange. By the way, Bundeswehr Luftwaffe still used non-disintegrating links to save money. Watching them load those 7.62 rounds was interesting. Simply dump ammo in a bucket and crank the handle.

No, I missed the competition. Sounds like fun. Heard about it. However, they sent my ass down to Bad Tolz for Platoon Confidence Training. Gawd, what a prison camp.

Good morning folks.

Rainy and cool in the east.

Finally have complete possession of my house again - my wife’s old friend and husband back to Atlanta. In the end, I liked him fine. We spent lots of time talking about things of mutual interest. His wife —high volume and constant talker, especially when in the wine, which was the whole three-day weekend. I’m sure you know the type.

Ah well. I got through it without any slights or shenanigans I’d have to walk back with my wife.

Fog has settled in as I look out the subway car window. Appropriately eerie for Halloween week. Got my giant bags of Milky Way and Butterfinger miniatures -should have about a hundred left after trick or treat, based on the volume of recent years. Did I say I love Halloween?
Have a few bags of mixed from KitKats to Paydays. Really love Paydays but when it comes down to it, I will eat most of what is in these bags.

Have a few bags of mixed from KitKats to Paydays. Really love Paydays but when it comes down to it, I will eat most of what is in these bags.
Yeah, the Payday is a strong assemblage of nougat and peanuts. Didn't have that option.

My calculation was: We had 12 trick or treaters last year. Good weather could as much as double that. So four bags of 50 miniature candy bars should give me a margin of error, even if I'm forced to eat the surplus.

Yeah, the Payday is a strong assemblage of nougat and peanuts. Didn't have that option.

My calculation was: We had 12 trick or treaters last year. Good weather could as much as double that. So four bags of 50 miniature candy bars should give me a margin of error, even if I'm forced to eat the surplus.
LOL...forced. Yeah, I got it.

Last edited:
@Bert Higginbotha

You said before you like to re-watch the films of UK games and I believe you said you have multiple games you are watching at once on gameday, so I'm assuming you have seen Tennessee some...what are your thoughts...or anyone here's thoughts...about UK being a 12.5 point underdog currently? I will admit, I'm not confident right now in a UK victory, but I think the Cats keep it close.
I think it could really get ugly for the Cats. Of course I hope and pray that the Cats have a good game, but Tennessee is the real thing.

It is a warm and cloudy 65.5°F. We are supposed to get rain today and get up to 77° with the front moving through. It was supposed to have already rained, but not yet. I am hoping for an inch. I could use two or three.

I have to go the the doctor tomorrow afternoon and face the facts. I have gained weight and my liver enzymes are high from good whisky. Do the crime you have to do the time!

I just book an airline flight from Florida to Kentucky for the Thanksgiving weekend. I thought I would share with you the FEDERAL TAX breakdown.

We are taxed for breathing in this new America. I would have a heart attack if I broke down all of the taxes we pay. Some of these taxes are for made up things that probably do not exist. It is insane.
  • USA Federal Excise Tax - Air
    $3.74

• USA Federal Excise Tax - Seats
    $9.90

• USA Security Fee
    $22.40

• USA Passenger Facility Charge
    $18.00

• USA Segment Tax
    $18.00

It is a warm and cloudy 65.5°F. We are supposed to get rain today and get up to 77° with the front moving through. It was supposed to have already rained, but not yet. I am hoping for an inch. I could use two or three.

I have to go the the doctor tomorrow afternoon and face the facts. I have gained weight and my liver enzymes are high from good whisky. Do the crime you have to do the time!
Prayers your way Bert that the report will be good and one less worry for you and Shirley. At our age we take one day at time and trust in the Lord.

I have tried my best to plan for my family when the day comes I leave this earth. Of course one never knows if they might leave before I do. But in reality loived ones can never be prepared for that final day and that is why faith is so important to us.

I think it could really get ugly for the Cats. Of course I hope and pray that the Cats have a good game, but Tennessee is the real thing.
Bert, first, good luck with the doctor's visit. I fear you may be on the money with the UK-UT game, especially played in Knoxville. If you check out the football board here, half the people who post have talked themselves into seeing this as a close game, or one in which Kentucky has a couple secret advantages -- an underrated defense and C-Rod, who hasn't gotten full credit yet because he started the season suspended.

I'd love to drink that Blue-berry flavored Kool Aid. But I think it is a long shot, at best. Let's hope were just a pair of pessimists rooted in the long history of Kentucky football more than the present.

Bert, first, good luck with the doctor's visit. I fear you may be on the money with the UK-UT game, especially played in Knoxville. If you check out the football board here, half the people who post have talked themselves into seeing this as a close game, or one in which Kentucky has a couple secret advantages -- an underrated defense and C-Rod, who hasn't gotten full credit yet because he started the season suspended.

I'd love to drink that Blue-berry flavored Kool Aid. But I think it is a long shot, at best. Let's hope were just a pair of pessimists rooted in the long history of Kentucky football more than the present.
I agree. Kentucky has had a problem beating the worst Tennessee teams in their history. The past couple of decades they have been ordinary and we still only beat them a few times.

Winning in Knoxville with the offense Tennessee has will be monumental. it is going to take Devine Intervention to stay close. I pray God hears UK fans prayers and ignores the prayers of Tennessee.

Hello all,

Just arrived under my cardiologist. Yeah I'm in the parking area under the building. A different address than the last couple visits. I guess he moved as this office is about a mile from his other office. Here though as I find, it is 12 bucks for two hours parking or 20 bucks for 4. I sure hope they validate. Just ridiculous. (I know parking is stupid in DC but I guess this joint is close enough to stupid. )

Edit: Whew, they validate.....

Last edited:
@Bert Higginbotha

I'm not confident either especially since the game is in Knoxville. If the Cats can hold UT to around 30 points then I'd say they have a puncher's chance. Unfortunately they're averaging 50 points per game. Really hoping for some timely UT turnovers.

I just book an airline flight from Florida to Kentucky for the Thanksgiving weekend. I thought I would share with you the FEDERAL TAX breakdown.

We are taxed for breathing in this new America. I would have a heart attack if I broke down all of the taxes we pay. Some of these taxes are for made up things that probably do not exist. It is insane.
  • USA Federal Excise Tax - Air
    $3.74

• USA Federal Excise Tax - Seats
    $9.90

• USA Security Fee
    $22.40

• USA Passenger Facility Charge
    $18.00

• USA Segment Tax
    $18.00
Wife and I a few years back kept receipts from everything for a month to determine how much in taxes we were really paying from our pay. We were near 50% for the month. I suspect it is 50% or worse now.

Anybody had kidney stone problems? I passed one from my kidney into my bladder today and still have another one in my kidney. Feel a lot better than I did this morning. The doc said they both should finish passing now.

I've passed four of those things. I feel for you bud. Went to a hospital once. Didn't do anything to help me. I toughed it out at home with the others. I don't drink but I drank a half pint of Southern Comfort straight down, went to sleep, woke up and it had passed.

@Bert Higginbotha

Here's a few things to consider. Tennessee beat a mediocre Pittsburgh team by 7 on the road and Florida by 5 at home. The same Florida team UK beat by 10 in Gainesville. Also, if UK has a healthy Will Levis in the 2 losses, UK is most likely undefeated and the narrative around this game is changed. Personally, I think the Cats cover the spread.

Also, since 2019,
  • Only Alabama and Georgia have covered the spread as a favorite against Kentucky during this stretch.
  • Kentucky is a perfect 6-0 ATS as an underdog with Will Levis under center with four outright wins.
  • Kentucky is 11-2-1 against the spread (ATS) in its last 14 games as a dog.
  • Kentucky has seven outright wins over Missouri (+10, 2019), Virginia Tech (+2, 2019), Tennessee (+6, 2020), Florida (+7, 2021 and +6, 2022), Louisville (+3, 2021), and Mississippi State (+3.5, 2022) during this stretch.
  • Five of those seven outright wins have come away from Kroger Field.

Here's a few things to consider. Tennessee beat a mediocre Pittsburgh team by 7 on the road and Florida by 5 at home. The same Florida team UK beat by 10 in Gainesville. Also, if UK has a healthy Will Levis in the 2 losses, UK is most likely undefeated and the narrative around this game is changed. Personally, I think the Cats cover the spread.

Also, since 2019,
  • Only Alabama and Georgia have covered the spread as a favorite against Kentucky during this stretch.
  • Kentucky is a perfect 6-0 ATS as an underdog with Will Levis under center with four outright wins.
  • Kentucky has seven outright wins over Missouri (+10, 2019), Virginia Tech (+2, 2019), Tennessee (+6, 2020), Florida (+7, 2021 and +6, 2022), Louisville (+3, 2021), and Mississippi State (+3.5, 2022) during this stretch.

Mr. Positive vibes..................................... I like it! At least until it is or it "ain't".....

Also, since 2019,
Plus there's always the possibility that the Vols overlook UK (doubtful) and concentrate on UGA next weekend.

Plus there's always the possibility that the Vols overlook UK (doubtful) and concentrate on UGA next weekend.
The 3 main keys to a UK victory are:
1. Kentucky must win the turnover battle
2. Kentucky has to limit untimely penalties.
3. They've got to win the time of possession by rushing for at least 150 yards and having Rodriguez score at least 2 TDs.

If they succeed in the aforementioned, UK has a real shot at a victory.

Protecting Levis and keeping him in the game and keeping Tennessee from hitting big plays goes without saying.

I've passed four of those things. I feel for you bud. Went to a hospital once. Didn't do anything to help me. I toughed it out at home with the others. I don't drink but I drank a half pint of Southern Comfort straight down, went to sleep, woke up and it had passed.
That half pint was medicine. My grandma was a "shoutin' Baptist and a tea totaler. But she kept a jug of moonshine out back under the rock cliff for medicinal purposes.

Grandma was sick a lot.

Also, since 2019,

Thanks, all great info...the only thing I would tweak is the Pittsburgh game was very early in the season...we also had a close score against Northern Illinois. Tennessee seems to being playing their best ball right now, beat Bama and recently crushed LSU. LSU is 4-1 in the SEC, Tenn being their only loss.

The Florida vs Tenn score is a little deceiving, Tenn had a double digit lead and played prevent and Florida scored a TD with like 20 seconds left.

Having said all that, I agree with you, I think UK covers...I think it will be a close game.

Hey welcome back wild ass!
Just happened to see this tonight. Give me a call. Bert will give you the number. We might be able to go to a game this year if you'd like.

To everyone else, I have been so busy lately. Part of it is because i am no longer on the internet as a source of entertainment. The other reason I can no longer post is that I intend on running for public office soon and I can't take a chance on being associated with a former mayor.

Good morning from ATX. Currently 47°F and clear. Calm. Today's high expected around 77°F.

Town of Jarrell, TX got hit again this past Monday evening by another tornado. No deaths this time, thankfully. Only damage. Deadly system tore through the area in 1997 while I served at Fort Hood, killing over 20 people.

Happy Hump Day.

Wishing happiness and health for all our fellow D-League members.

75369258_10158228949591320_4750022667308892160_n.png

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT