ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

Good morning D-League. It's currently a cool, crisp 48° and clear here in Eastern Kentucky. This afternoon will bring a mix of clouds and sun and a high of 68°.

Everyone stay safe out there today.

shutterstock_1147937813.jpg

Good morning D-League. It's currently a cool, crisp 48° and clear here in Eastern Kentucky. This afternoon will bring a mix of clouds and sun and a high of 68°.

Everyone stay safe out there today.

shutterstock_1147937813.jpg
Good photo 41102. That walk around the Tidal Basin that wraps around to end up over at the Jefferson Memorial is a lovely stroll in the fall, as suggested here. And in early April when the Cherry Blossoms are out it is one of the most spectacular scenes anywhere, if you can get there on a weekday morning when the tourists haven’t overwhelmed the place. I set aside a day at the peak of the blossoms, get off the subway as close as I can, and make that walk before work once a year.

Morning legionnaires!

Weather tapering off a bit with high 50's overnight and 91° expected for a high.

Nothing much going on today other than the normal morning workout, walking the monster, and then settling in for a restful day then, going to the ball fields tonight for 2 softball games in the fall league.

@Sawnee Cat stay safe and hunkered down. Prayers for you and your wife.

Digging through aunts, husbands, family trees and found out im related (by marriage of course) to two more 6th Kentucky confederates. This time it's two brothers. John and George Peden. Both died at Atlanta opposing the yankee army and general William T. Sherman's march to the sea.
41115360_125118442507.jpg

Peden1Copy.jpg

Peden2Copy.jpg
It is so great that you still have those Daguerrotype images of your relatives by marriage Ritchie. Probably the material thing lost in my life I most regret were two photos my father's mother had of her grandfathers or possibly great-grandfathers (as she was born in the 1890s) on both sides who were both young junior officers in the Confederate army, signing up from Bourbon County. She had let me see them several times, and promised them to me (I was the only grandkid with any interest) but they vanished when she died.

Digging through aunts, husbands, family trees and found out im related (by marriage of course) to two more 6th Kentucky confederates. This time it's two brothers. John and George Peden. Both died at Atlanta opposing the yankee army and general William T. Sherman's march to the sea.
41115360_125118442507.jpg

Peden1Copy.jpg

Peden2Copy.jpg
You are starting to get infected, but it is a good disease to have.

My second great grandfather, Seth Bradshaw Elmore was in the 6th Kentucky CSA. He survived. Check out the Book https://www.ebay.com/itm/2556901495...jplqANBCt4GjBktczyKpDTJDfZ2_zC2RoCzDgQAvD_BwE
7189147_129186590678.jpg
9b93057c-fd91-407a-b304-3ae5ff68f7db.jpg

@RunninRichie @Bert Higginbotha

I had an ancestor in the 4th Kentucky Volunteer Infantry, CSA., Lt Col John A Adair. (Orphans Brigade) He was the son of Alexander & Elizabeth (Monroe) Adair; Husband of Mary B. (Stockton) Adair; Druggist in Greensburg (per 1860 Federal Census); WBTS Lt. Col in KY 4th Vol. Infantry - Confederate Army.

He received a serious wound in the Battle of Shiloh. His occupation was a druggist. He is buried in Pearl Webb Cemetery, Hart County, KY

98682277_135272699690.jpg

Last edited:
It is so great that you still have those Daguerrotype images of your relatives by marriage Ritchie. Probably the material thing lost in my life I most regret were two photos my father's mother had of her grandfathers or possibly great-grandfathers (as she was born in the 1890s) on both sides who were both young junior officers in the Confederate army, signing up from Bourbon County. She had let me see them several times, and promised them to me (I was the only grandkid with any interest) but they vanished when she died.
I was lucky to find them on a website via the barren county court house.

@RunninRichie @Bert Higginbotha

I had an ancestor in the 4th Kentucky Volunteer Infantry, CSA., Lt Col John A Adair. (Orphans Brigade) He was the son of Alexander & Elizabeth (Monroe) Adair; Husband of Mary B. (Stockton) Adair (m.15 Jan 1815, Barren Co., KY); Druggist in Greensburg (per 1860 Federal Census); Civil War Lt. Col in KY 4th Vol. Infantry - Confederate Army.

He received a serious wound in the Battle of Shiloh. His occupation was a druggist. He is buried in Pearl Webb Cemetery, Hart County, KY

98682277_135272699690.jpg
The orphan brigade started out 4,400 strong and had less than 250 fit for service in 1865. Out of the 4 family members I had in the 4th and 6th Kentucky only one survived. And he was shot 4 times. Those were some of the most elite and bravest soldiers in the whole confederate army.

The orphan brigade started out 4,400 strong and had less than 250 fit for service in 1865. Out of the 4 family members I had in the 4th and 6th Kentucky only one survived. And he was shot 4 times. Those were some of the most elite and bravest soldiers in the whole confederate army.
134253173_1407881437.jpg

this guy is blood related to me via my great grandmothers side of the family. (another one of his brothers fought under a csa cavalry regiment and another fought for the south in Mississippi) Ephraim Smith is also probably related to me. 2nd LT. Bayard Taylor Smith. CO. A. 4th KY CSA. He was killed at chickamauga and is buried at the Marietta, GA confederate cemetery.

My history teacher was the daughter of a Confederate soldier and she taught us the WBTS from a Southern perspective. Her father conceived her at a late age and she taught me in the 1950's. We had pictures of Robert E. Lee and Stonewall Jackson in the class room and a Confederate battle flag. She would not be allowed to teach in today's schools.

One unit she focused on was the Orphan's Brigade. She told us it was one of if not the bravest of all fighting units. WE were taught it was called the Orphans Brigade because Kentucky did not leave the union and was a Union State. So the Kentucky Confederates were not welcome to return to their homes and were "Orphaned". After the war and once reconstruction started they became very popular in Kentucky and many were elected to offices. Some would say Kentucky joined the South after the war. :)

This picture represents my Florida classrooms in my school days. The Florida State flag and Confederate flag were in my classrooms.

10270723_693263394060073_7557415324147896190_n.jpg

134253173_1407881437.jpg

this guy is blood related to me via my great grandmothers side of the family. (another one of his brothers fought under a csa cavalry regiment and another fought for the south in Mississippi) Ephraim Smith is also probably related to me. 2nd LT. Bayard Taylor Smith. CO. A. 4th KY CSA. He was killed at chickamauga and is buried at the Marietta, GA confederate cemetery.
Here are a couple of flags of the Orphans Brigade

171471_151541034898981_4153340_o.jpg

00-VGoiT3Y43HCVi5zFo8RP4qAIx90G3xGFQmQ4UHj7teQitQAXtOsozE0xnwc7O90vUnDnu4gHHWpfyYq5WwzmNg

134253173_1407881437.jpg

We have you hooked RunninRitchie. It is interesting.

Another one of my relatives in the Orphan Brigade was David M.C. Edwards. He is my 2 great grandfather.

This is the story I wrote for his Ancestry page.

David M. C. Edwards married Sarah Jane Rich in 1855. They had a series of children to die at an early age: Rhonda died at 6 months; Susan lived only a few days (they were twins); Thomas B. at 18 months; Manerva Jane lived for 9 years.

When the Civil War began Dave immediately joined the 6th Brigade CSA mounted infantry. He was in Company D which included men from Barren and Green Counties. This Brigade soon came to be known as the “Orphan Brigade”. A book was published by Doubleday in 1980 documenting this Brigade. Early in the war the CSA was forced out of Kentucky and the “Orphan Brigade” soldiers could never go home. However, David M. C. Edwards did go AWOL in early 1863 and stole across the Union lines long enough to get Sarah Jane Rich pregnant again. He later rejoined the 6th Brigade and his AWOL status was dropped.

The child that resulted from Dave’s AWOL is my great grandmother, Marietta Edwards.

The Orphan Brigade was involved in actions at: Shiloh, Vicksburg, Baton Rouge, Chickamauga, Atlanta and Savannah. David M.C. Edwards was discharged from the 6th Brigade in December 1864 (Apparently he was wounded or somehow not fit for further service as the Orphan Brigade did not surrender until April 1865 at Washington, GA one must assume that his injuries were extensive enough that he could no longer serve). They shipped him up the river to Owensboro where he was picked up by family.

He came home and apparently found the conditions for a Confederate soldier in Kentucky too dire to stay. So, he decided to move west. Family legend states that he left for the Utah territory in early 1865. He wanted Sarah Jane to go with him and take Marietta and Manerva Jane his two surviving children with them. Sarah Jane refused to go so Dave went by himself.

He promised to return but apparently he either changed his name or was killed in his journey because no one in the family ever heard from him again. Additionally, I have been unable to find any official record of David M.C. Edwards.

After Dave went west and never returned, Mary Jane Rich Edwards married Harrison Skaggs a widower. Sarah Jane Rich had three children by Harrison.

Bert Higginbotham
Smiths Grove, KY

My history teacher was the daughter of a Confederate soldier and she taught us the WBTS from a Southern perspective. Her father conceived her at a late age and she taught me in the 1950's. We had pictures of Robert E. Lee and Stonewall Jackson in the class room and a Confederate battle flag. She would not be allowed to teach in today's schools.

One unit she focused on was the Orphan's Brigade. She told us it was one of if not the bravest of all fighting units. WE were taught it was called the Orphans Brigade because Kentucky did not leave the union and was a Union State. So the Kentucky Confederates were not welcome to return to their homes and were "Orphaned". After the war and once reconstruction started they became very popular in Kentucky and many were elected to offices. Some would say Kentucky joined the South after the war. :)

This picture represents my Florida classrooms in my school days. The Florida State flag and Confederate flag were in my classrooms.

I don't have time to look it up and link right now, but a section of far western Ky formed a gov and joined the CSA. The Union did not recognize it. Some of the meetings were held in Mayfield and there was a CSA training base near Mayfield. There were also meetings with far west Tn regarding forming a new state and joining the CSA. The meetings fell apart when Tn seceded.

Good photo 41102. That walk around the Tidal Basin that wraps around to end up over at the Jefferson Memorial is a lovely stroll in the fall, as suggested here. And in early April when the Cherry Blossoms are out it is one of the most spectacular scenes anywhere, if you can get there on a weekday morning when the tourists haven’t overwhelmed the place. I set aside a day at the peak of the blossoms, get off the subway as close as I can, and make that walk before work once a year.
We caught the tail end of the Cherry Blossoms in bloom, at it was definitely something to see. I know the walk around the Tidal Basin is way longer than it looks.

A photo of the flag:
97ed3114-3933-4961-bd9b-a6fd2e3a6f19.jpg

and his marriage bond:
0ba26b13-b614-4558-b24b-70bf582f22b5.jpg
Love this Bert,
We have you hooked RunninRitchie. It is interesting.

Another one of my relatives in the Orphan Brigade was David M.C. Edwards. He is my 2 great grandfather.

This is the story I wrote for his Ancestry page.

David M. C. Edwards married Sarah Jane Rich in 1855. They had a series of children to die at an early age: Rhonda died at 6 months; Susan lived only a few days (they were twins); Thomas B. at 18 months; Manerva Jane lived for 9 years.

When the Civil War began Dave immediately joined the 6th Brigade CSA mounted infantry. He was in Company D which included men from Barren and Green Counties. This Brigade soon came to be known as the “Orphan Brigade”. A book was published by Doubleday in 1980 documenting this Brigade. Early in the war the CSA was forced out of Kentucky and the “Orphan Brigade” soldiers could never go home. However, David M. C. Edwards did go AWOL in early 1863 and stole across the Union lines long enough to get Sarah Jane Rich pregnant again. He later rejoined the 6th Brigade and his AWOL status was dropped.

The child that resulted from Dave’s AWOL is my great grandmother, Marietta Edwards.

The Orphan Brigade was involved in actions at: Shiloh, Vicksburg, Baton Rouge, Chickamauga, Atlanta and Savannah. David M.C. Edwards was discharged from the 6th Brigade in December 1864 (Apparently he was wounded or somehow not fit for further service as the Orphan Brigade did not surrender until April 1865 at Washington, GA one must assume that his injuries were extensive enough that he could no longer serve). They shipped him up the river to Owensboro where he was picked up by family.

He came home and apparently found the conditions for a Confederate soldier in Kentucky too dire to stay. So, he decided to move west. Family legend states that he left for the Utah territory in early 1865. He wanted Sarah Jane to go with him and take Marietta and Manerva Jane his two surviving children with them. Sarah Jane refused to go so Dave went by himself.

He promised to return but apparently he either changed his name or was killed in his journey because no one in the family ever heard from him again. Additionally, I have been unable to find any official record of David M.C. Edwards.

After Dave went west and never returned, Mary Jane Rich Edwards married Harrison Skaggs a widower. Sarah Jane Rich had three children by Harrison.

Bert Higginbotham
Smiths Grove, KY
And this. Some great history and very interesting stories Bert. This is no longer taught in our schools but we covered it in detail when I was a boy.

Yeah, Kentucky union soldiers fought because they thought the war was about preserving the union, not ending slavery. Lincoln had many policies throughout the war to prevent Kentucky from leaving the union. Most pertaining to being allowed to keep slaves. I've read accounts of Kentuckians feeling betrayed after the war and wishing they would have seceded.

Good morning D-League.

Looks like Ian got a little stronger overnight. Prayers for all in Florida. I’m making a prediction right now; if there is any substantial damage the New York Times and Washington Post will find some Democratic malcontents to blame Gov. DeSantis. That will be the story line in New York and DC for a week six weeks to two months (At least) with selective reporting.

Still cool and clear in the east. Not much happening aside from work for me, so I’ll check in later. Have a great day.

edit

Last edited:
Good morning from ATX. Currently 62°F and clear. Today's high expected at around 91°F.

Thoughts and prayers sent to those in hurricane path. Last night, I contacted my brother, who lives in Plant City and also owns several rental properties around Lakeland. Couple other relatives live down in the Sunshine State. Again, thoughts and prayers.

Happy Hump Day.

Wishing happiness and health for all our fellow D-League members.

National-Drink-Beer-Day-September-28.jpg

Good Wednesday Morning D Leaguers

It is 67° and the high is forecast for 74°. We have a 100% chance of rain today with tropical storm conditions. Ian is now a CAT 4 storm and is massive. It seems where I live has dodged a bomb. Ian is going to follow the path of Hurricane Charley and do what it wants to do and not what the experts and their models say it is going to do. All week we have been told doomsday has arrived and 10 feet waves would go over our house. But Mother Nature decided otherwise and has its sights set on Fort Meyers or no further north than Sarasota. In addition to the wind the rain amounts in some area may reach 20 to 24". So God be with those folk and our prayers and thoughts are certainly with them.

The state is as prepared as humanly possible with resources to take care of millions. Local radio said Tampa may get wind as high as 80 mph, a CAT 1 and the path is now headed to Orlando and exit the state a little South of Jacksonville. There are literally hundreds of utility trucks pouring in from all over the state because we are going to experience a massive power outage. One thing for sure the state has been through these many times and this time tomorrow we will be in clean up and restoration mode.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and prayers. This boy knows how to prepare. But a CAT 4 will pick up the car and blow it and the trampoline into Polk County.

305767411_643091217173145_6356130867521637629_n.jpg

Morning Legionnaires!

92° expected today with light winds and sunshine, 58° right now. Headed for the waters this morning for the of late elusive lunker. Have caught many lately (biggest about 3lbs or so) but the big ones have eluded me.

Played two softball games last night and we won the first 15-14. Lost the second due to some bad defense 16-15. A lot of offense for sure. I went 3-5 with 3 walks at the plate for the night. I was knocked off of the mound putting me on the ground once. No injury, I got my leg out of the way and my glove deflected the ball. Wound up on my rear though.

To those of you in harms way today, stay safe and may God protect you.

Ya'll be cool.

Good morning folks. Prayers for Sawnee and others in Florida.

Brisk and clear in the east. Coolest day we’ve had so far. To me it is still long-sleeve shirt weather but I was amazed at how many people on the subway were wearing heavy winter coats of the type I usually don’t roll out to January. I think people just like the feeling that it is a new season. They’ll be back in tee-shirts by the weekend probably.

Not much going on outside work right now so I’ll just wish everyone well.

Morning Legionnaires!

92° expected today with light winds and sunshine, 58° right now. Headed for the waters this morning for the of late elusive lunker. Have caught many lately (biggest about 3lbs or so) but the big ones have eluded me.

Played two softball games last night and we won the first 15-14. Lost the second due to some bad defense 16-15. A lot of offense for sure. I went 3-5 with 3 walks at the plate for the night. I was knocked off of the mound putting me on the ground once. No injury, I got my leg out of the way and my glove deflected the ball. Wound up on my rear though.

To those of you in harms way today, stay safe and may God protect you.

Ya'll be cool.
It would take me several years to get 3 walks and you get them in one night. Patience at the plate was a virtue I didn't have. It was to much fun hitting the ball.

Our governor addressed the state and said if you are in the path of the storm and have not evacuated it is too late now. Bridges and roads are being closed by the minute. The Sunshine Skyway is now closed because sustained winds are over 45 mph. It looks like land fall will be around 2:00 PM in Charlotte County.

Power outages have started and utility workers are ready. There are 10,000 staged and set. Some came from Ohio, Kentucky and the Midwest. Thank you Kentucky.

(Edit:) Now 40,000 utility and lineman are staged and set to go to work. Power outages have already started.

The storm trackers prediction a few days ago missed by a long shot. Clearwater, St Pete and Tampa have dodged a direct hit again, the last one was 1921.

Here is a scene in Key West

Last edited:
Our governor addressed the state and said if you are in the path of the storm and have not evacuated it is too late now. Bridges and roads are being closed by the minute. The Sunshine Skyway is now closed because sustained winds are over 45 mph. It looks like land fall will be around 2:00 PM in Charlotte County.

Power outages have started and utility workers are ready. There are 10,000 staged and set. Some came from Ohio, Kentucky and the Midwest. Thank you Kentucky.

The storm trackers prediction a few days ago missed by a long shot. Clearwater, St Pete and Tampa have dodged a direct hit again, the last one was 1921.

Here is a scene in Key West

Sir,
So glad you missed the direct impact expected. Bless you and your family.. (I am teleworking today, but maybe should not have as I missed a meeting I needed to attend but it wasn't sent the normal way so I can honestly state is wasn't my fault. (I despise that statement.)

I try not to bring politics and I am not posting this concerning politics but I saw that Biden contacted two or three "Mayors" of Florida and not Governor DeSantis. (Again just things I read.) How in the WORLD can Americans be THAT petty??? That in itself, "if true", is criminal!

The TV coverage of the hurricane down here is off the charts. Cameras are placed up and down the beaches, bridges and highways.

This is the most massive preparations and response to a storm in U.S, History. The storm is fast approaching CAT 5 and it amazing to watch what is going on on the shores of the Gulf and Tampa Bay. Water is literally being sucked out of the bay and the Pinellas County beaches are seeing water being sucked out and the water level is dropping with what is usually surf now dry. Amazing. The flood risk is the highest in Florida history per the meteorologist. The wind is keeping the rivers flowing into the Gulf from draining. Totally blocked like a dam. And the dang thing hasn't hit land yet.

On TV right now Kentucky Utilities is being featured with a story on over 200 lineman who have already arrived. Floridians are very appreciative of your assistance Kentucky. One good stat just mentioned is 100% of all hospitals, nursing homes and care centers are in compliance with the state law requiring generators in the event electricity is lost. State wide. Several areas have already lost power including areas of heavily populated Pinellas. 40.000 linemen are now staged to go to work to restore power.

1,200 personnel have been placed in strategic areas to clear airport runways once the storm passes. The FDOT has thousands that will go to work to clear roads once the storm passes.

The good news we will have a very pleasant weekend with lower temperatures and humidity.

I try not to bring politics and I am not posting this concerning politics but I saw that Biden contacted two or three "Mayors" of Florida and not Governor DeSantis. (Again just things I read.) How in the WORLD can Americans be THAT petty??? That in itself is criminal!
Word is Biden called DeSantis last night but witnesses to the call said Biden would not call DeSantis by name. LOL You know he was forced to make that call and came to the phone kicking and struggling.

The lady running for U.S. Senate against Marco Rubio refuses to meet with Joe Biden if he comes to Florida. She wants nothing to do with him and will ignore his presence. And she represents a voting block that votes 95% Democrat. Amazing

The TV coverage of the hurricane down here is off the charts. Cameras are placed up and down the beaches, bridges and highways.

This is the most massive preparations and response to a storm in U.S, History. The storm is fast approaching CAT 5 and it amazing to watch what is going on on the shores of the Gulf and Tampa Bay. Water is literally being sucked out of the bay and the Pinellas County beaches are seeing water being sucked out and the water level is dropping with what is usually surf now dry. Amazing. The flood risk is the highest in Florida history per the meteorologist. The wind is keeping the rivers flowing into the Gulf from draining. Totally blocked like a dam. And the dang thing hasn't hit land yet.

On TV right now Kentucky Utilities is being featured with a story on over 200 lineman who have already arrived. Floridians are very appreciative of your assistance Kentucky. One good stat just mentioned is 100% of all hospitals, nursing homes and care centers are in compliance with the state law requiring generators in the event electricity is lost. State wide. Several areas have already lost power including areas of heavily populated Pinellas. 40.000 linemen are now staged to go to work to restore power.

1,200 personnel have been placed in strategic areas to clear airport runways once the storm passes. The FDOT has thousands that will go to work to clear roads once the storm passes.

The good news we will have a very pleasant weekend with lower temperatures and humidity.

Now, THAT'S America!!!! The America I know and love!

Last edited:
Word is Biden called DeSantis last night but witnesses to the call said Biden would not call DeSantis by name. LOL You know he was forced to make that call and came to the phone kicking and struggling.

The lady running for U.S. Senate against Marco Rubio refuses to meet with Joe Biden if he comes to Florida. She wants nothing to do with him and will ignore his presence. And she represents a voting block that votes 95% Democrat. Amazing

Sir, I still say Biden is not dealing with all his faculties. He is being manipulated.

Yeah, Kentucky union soldiers fought because they thought the war was about preserving the union, not ending slavery. Lincoln had many policies throughout the war to prevent Kentucky from leaving the union. Most pertaining to being allowed to keep slaves. I've read accounts of Kentuckians feeling betrayed after the war and wishing they would have seceded.
During the occupation of Kentucky the Federals were not that nice.

Below is a couple pages from an 1891 History of Kentucky book. It was published by the Louisville Courier Journal. I show this because our family paid an incredible price for being from Kentucky. One of my folks who was fighting with an Illinois Regiment came home to find no family, house, barns or cattle. He had been wiped out by his co-fighters.

Here is the book quote:

15. Military changes in Kentucky. - At the election in August, 1863, polls were guarded by the soldiers, and the Union candidates were elected, with little contest. Thomas E. Bramlette was elected Governor. General Boyle having resigned as commandant, the military control of the State fell into the hands of some of the officials, whose cruelties and corruptions established a reign of terror throughout the Commonwealth for the next two years. For the first time, orders were issued for the enlistment of colored troops in Kentucky. At first much opposition was made to this policy, but in vain; and all came to tolerate what they could not help. Heavy drafts of men were being made to recruit the Federal army, and many slaves were sold to become substitutes to men who were drafted but did not wish to enter the service.

200 SCHOOL HISTORY OF KENTUCKY.

16. Guerrilla bands. - From out of the ranks of the Confederate army, there were banded together some very lawless and desperate men, known as "guerrillas," who, defying all the rules of civilized warfare, gave themselves up to deeds of violence to pillage and to indiscriminate outrages. Banks, stores, residences and persons were robbed with ruthless hands. Their violence and wanton deeds spread terror through the country more than did the marching and counter-marching of the great armies of both combatants over the territory of the State. The Confederate government felt itself called on to repudiate and condemn the acts of these outlaws, and to order them treated as common enemies of mankind.

17. Another reign of terror. - In 1864 the deeds of cruelty and outrage on the part of some Federal officers elevated to power in Kentucky produced a terror among the people equal to that caused by the raiding guerrillas. Chief among the men who were guilty of these inhuman deeds were generals high in official authority and in command both in East and West Kentucky. Under orders of these, many prisoners, without trial, were taken out of their prison-houses, led away and shot to death by squads of soldiers. Many peaceful citizens were arrested and cast into prison, and heavy sums of money extorted from some of them under military duress. The pretexts for these acts were usually alleged to be retaliation for the outrages of the guerrillas. Often the innocent suffered.

18. The last of the campaigns in Kentucky. - During 1864, General Forrest attacked the Federals fortified at Paducah. Though he inflicted considerable loss upon the enemy, he was compelled to retire after an equal loss of his own men, killed and wounded. Late in the year, General Burbridge, in command of four thousand Union troops, marched into Virginia through Pound Gap, in the hope of capturing

201 SCHOOL HISTORY OF KENTUCKY.

the important works at Saltville. This place was defended by two thousand Confederates, under General John S. Williams. The attack was made by the Federals; but, after a hotly-contested fight of some hours, the latter were defeated and compelled to retreat back into Kentucky, with a loss of several hundred men.

19. The end of the war. - The war was protracted in the earlier months of 1865, in Virginia, Georgia, the Carolinas and in the South-west; but the signs of exhaustion on the part of the Confederates were apparent. At last came the news of the retreat from Richmond, the surrender of Lee at Appomattox, and the downfall of the Confederate government. To this greatest of all modern wars, Kentucky contributed to the Union ranks seventy-six thousand three hundred and thirty-five volunteers; while thirty thousand of her sons are supposed to have entered, from first to last, the ranks of the Confederate army. The discharged Federals and the paroled Confederates returned together in peace to their homes, and again resumed their occupations and relations as neighbors and citizens. All true soldiers joined in ridding the State of lawlessness and outrage, and restoring quiet and prosperity.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT