ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

Good cold morning here in Kentucky. It was 40°F when I got up. We are to get up to 67°.

The best to the folks in Florida.

I have lived through a couple hurricanes and it is an experience. I also left Florida during an evacuation once and it was worse than the hurricane. We were on I-10 for about 6 hours. Then another few hours on I-75. Not fun.

The gov just finished a press conference with utility workers. Oklahoma and Texas utility workers have arrived. Welcome to Florida. Nearly 40 base camps or centers are being set up in the impacted area and the 40,000 utility workers will be dispatched to restore power.

The eyewall has reached Ft Meyers but the worst is yet to come. This thing is massive.

The gov just finished a press conference with utility workers. Oklahoma and Texas utility workers have arrived. Welcome to Florida. Nearly 40 base camps or centers are being set up in the impacted area and the 40,000 utility workers will be dispatched to restore power.

The eyewall has reached Ft Meyers but the worst is yet to come. This thing is massive.

Happy to hear the states are coming together but sad with what is yet to come. God Bless...

Word is Biden called DeSantis last night but witnesses to the call said Biden would not call DeSantis by name. LOL You know he was forced to make that call and came to the phone kicking and struggling.

The lady running for U.S. Senate against Marco Rubio refuses to meet with Joe Biden if he comes to Florida. She wants nothing to do with him and will ignore his presence. And she represents a voting block that votes 95% Democrat. Amazing
Could be lots of "Let's Go, Brandon!" cheers if he comes.

Hello,

I am lurking today. (working from home on a rare occasion but that is okay.) I have both computers on wishing also that I could provide some interaction to ensure our Brother Sir's "In Harm's Way" know they are at least being thought of in this time of dire straights....

God's hand, even in this catastrophic event will show God is still in control.

I took a lunch break and took My Darling to a chestnut tree we've had scoped out for several years that is accessible to the public. We got "nine" chestnuts and we worked for those but they are good ones so My Darling told me. (I wouldn't dare indulge in so little of a bounty after our labor. They are all hers.) ;)

You and yours stay safe.

That is an order from a superior officer. :)

During the occupation of Kentucky the Federals were not that nice.

Below is a couple pages from an 1891 History of Kentucky book. It was published by the Louisville Courier Journal. I show this because our family paid an incredible price for being from Kentucky. One of my folks who was fighting with an Illinois Regiment came home to find no family, house, barns or cattle. He had been wiped out by his co-fighters.

Here is the book quote:

15. Military changes in Kentucky. - At the election in August, 1863, polls were guarded by the soldiers, and the Union candidates were elected, with little contest. Thomas E. Bramlette was elected Governor. General Boyle having resigned as commandant, the military control of the State fell into the hands of some of the officials, whose cruelties and corruptions established a reign of terror throughout the Commonwealth for the next two years. For the first time, orders were issued for the enlistment of colored troops in Kentucky. At first much opposition was made to this policy, but in vain; and all came to tolerate what they could not help. Heavy drafts of men were being made to recruit the Federal army, and many slaves were sold to become substitutes to men who were drafted but did not wish to enter the service.

200 SCHOOL HISTORY OF KENTUCKY.

16. Guerrilla bands. - From out of the ranks of the Confederate army, there were banded together some very lawless and desperate men, known as "guerrillas," who, defying all the rules of civilized warfare, gave themselves up to deeds of violence to pillage and to indiscriminate outrages. Banks, stores, residences and persons were robbed with ruthless hands. Their violence and wanton deeds spread terror through the country more than did the marching and counter-marching of the great armies of both combatants over the territory of the State. The Confederate government felt itself called on to repudiate and condemn the acts of these outlaws, and to order them treated as common enemies of mankind.

17. Another reign of terror. - In 1864 the deeds of cruelty and outrage on the part of some Federal officers elevated to power in Kentucky produced a terror among the people equal to that caused by the raiding guerrillas. Chief among the men who were guilty of these inhuman deeds were generals high in official authority and in command both in East and West Kentucky. Under orders of these, many prisoners, without trial, were taken out of their prison-houses, led away and shot to death by squads of soldiers. Many peaceful citizens were arrested and cast into prison, and heavy sums of money extorted from some of them under military duress. The pretexts for these acts were usually alleged to be retaliation for the outrages of the guerrillas. Often the innocent suffered.

18. The last of the campaigns in Kentucky. - During 1864, General Forrest attacked the Federals fortified at Paducah. Though he inflicted considerable loss upon the enemy, he was compelled to retire after an equal loss of his own men, killed and wounded. Late in the year, General Burbridge, in command of four thousand Union troops, marched into Virginia through Pound Gap, in the hope of capturing

201 SCHOOL HISTORY OF KENTUCKY.

the important works at Saltville. This place was defended by two thousand Confederates, under General John S. Williams. The attack was made by the Federals; but, after a hotly-contested fight of some hours, the latter were defeated and compelled to retreat back into Kentucky, with a loss of several hundred men.

19. The end of the war. - The war was protracted in the earlier months of 1865, in Virginia, Georgia, the Carolinas and in the South-west; but the signs of exhaustion on the part of the Confederates were apparent. At last came the news of the retreat from Richmond, the surrender of Lee at Appomattox, and the downfall of the Confederate government. To this greatest of all modern wars, Kentucky contributed to the Union ranks seventy-six thousand three hundred and thirty-five volunteers; while thirty thousand of her sons are supposed to have entered, from first to last, the ranks of the Confederate army. The discharged Federals and the paroled Confederates returned together in peace to their homes, and again resumed their occupations and relations as neighbors and citizens. All true soldiers joined in ridding the State of lawlessness and outrage, and restoring quiet and prosperity.
Wow. They dont teach this in school. I had a guy argue with me one day and say Kentuckians werent drafted by the union army. Haha.

During the occupation of Kentucky the Federals were not that nice.

Below is a couple pages from an 1891 History of Kentucky book. It was published by the Louisville Courier Journal. I show this because our family paid an incredible price for being from Kentucky. One of my folks who was fighting with an Illinois Regiment came home to find no family, house, barns or cattle. He had been wiped out by his co-fighters.

Here is the book quote:

15. Military changes in Kentucky. - At the election in August, 1863, polls were guarded by the soldiers, and the Union candidates were elected, with little contest. Thomas E. Bramlette was elected Governor. General Boyle having resigned as commandant, the military control of the State fell into the hands of some of the officials, whose cruelties and corruptions established a reign of terror throughout the Commonwealth for the next two years. For the first time, orders were issued for the enlistment of colored troops in Kentucky. At first much opposition was made to this policy, but in vain; and all came to tolerate what they could not help. Heavy drafts of men were being made to recruit the Federal army, and many slaves were sold to become substitutes to men who were drafted but did not wish to enter the service.

200 SCHOOL HISTORY OF KENTUCKY.

16. Guerrilla bands. - From out of the ranks of the Confederate army, there were banded together some very lawless and desperate men, known as "guerrillas," who, defying all the rules of civilized warfare, gave themselves up to deeds of violence to pillage and to indiscriminate outrages. Banks, stores, residences and persons were robbed with ruthless hands. Their violence and wanton deeds spread terror through the country more than did the marching and counter-marching of the great armies of both combatants over the territory of the State. The Confederate government felt itself called on to repudiate and condemn the acts of these outlaws, and to order them treated as common enemies of mankind.

17. Another reign of terror. - In 1864 the deeds of cruelty and outrage on the part of some Federal officers elevated to power in Kentucky produced a terror among the people equal to that caused by the raiding guerrillas. Chief among the men who were guilty of these inhuman deeds were generals high in official authority and in command both in East and West Kentucky. Under orders of these, many prisoners, without trial, were taken out of their prison-houses, led away and shot to death by squads of soldiers. Many peaceful citizens were arrested and cast into prison, and heavy sums of money extorted from some of them under military duress. The pretexts for these acts were usually alleged to be retaliation for the outrages of the guerrillas. Often the innocent suffered.

18. The last of the campaigns in Kentucky. - During 1864, General Forrest attacked the Federals fortified at Paducah. Though he inflicted considerable loss upon the enemy, he was compelled to retire after an equal loss of his own men, killed and wounded. Late in the year, General Burbridge, in command of four thousand Union troops, marched into Virginia through Pound Gap, in the hope of capturing

201 SCHOOL HISTORY OF KENTUCKY.

the important works at Saltville. This place was defended by two thousand Confederates, under General John S. Williams. The attack was made by the Federals; but, after a hotly-contested fight of some hours, the latter were defeated and compelled to retreat back into Kentucky, with a loss of several hundred men.

19. The end of the war. - The war was protracted in the earlier months of 1865, in Virginia, Georgia, the Carolinas and in the South-west; but the signs of exhaustion on the part of the Confederates were apparent. At last came the news of the retreat from Richmond, the surrender of Lee at Appomattox, and the downfall of the Confederate government. To this greatest of all modern wars, Kentucky contributed to the Union ranks seventy-six thousand three hundred and thirty-five volunteers; while thirty thousand of her sons are supposed to have entered, from first to last, the ranks of the Confederate army. The discharged Federals and the paroled Confederates returned together in peace to their homes, and again resumed their occupations and relations as neighbors and citizens. All true soldiers joined in ridding the State of lawlessness and outrage, and restoring quiet and prosperity.
As a young man working in the National Archives on a Civil War related publication I was able to find the records of something that had been family lore -- a direct descendant of mine living in Bourbon County had been jailed in November, 1864 because a couple snitches reported him for riding around on his horse near the polling place for the presidential election shouting "G.. D... Abe Lincoln!" No trial, no habeas corpus. Just jailed by military authorities until the war ended the next spring...

As a young man working in the National Archives on a Civil War related publication I was able to find the records of something that had been family lore -- a direct descendant of mine living in Bourbon County had been jailed in November, 1864 because a couple snitches reported him for riding around on his horse near the polling place for the presidential election shouting "G.. D... Abe Lincoln!" No trial, no habeas corpus. Just jailed by military authorities until the war ended the next spring...
I believe it.

At that time it was the Feds or jail.

My grandfather Jessie Henderson Higginbotham was born in 1859 and his family paid a high price for Kentucky being on the fence or being close to the States that left the Union.

If Kentucky had left the Union the cost would probably have been less. But Kentucky stayed and paid the price. The Federal troops treated Kentuckians worse than they would have treated the enemy.

Plus Kentucky provided the President for both the Union and the Confederacy. Damned if we stayed and damned if we left.

I believe it.

At that time it was the Feds or jail.

My grandfather Jessie Henderson Higginbotham was born in 1859 and his family paid a high price for Kentucky being on the fence or being close to the States that left the Union.

If Kentucky had left the Union the cost would probably have been less. But Kentucky stayed and paid the price. The Federal troops treated Kentuckians worse than they would have treated the enemy.

Plus Kentucky provided the President for both the Union and the Confederacy. Damned if we stayed and damned if we left.
Sherman said kentuckians couldn't be trusted to be loyal to the union and that the state was crawling with spies.

It would take me several years to get 3 walks and you get them in one night. Patience at the plate was a virtue I didn't have. It was to much fun hitting the ball.
Yeah, the pitches were just way too short or inside for me to even try. I go opposite field a lot especially if there is a runner on first which happened to be the case last night.

Everything in my little town is closed. Even grocery stores. This sign tells it all.

308841096_640455970773219_3015937084729514717_n.jpg

My FIL, SIL and her children live in Ft. Myers general location. They stayed according to my daughter who plays computer games with her cousins every day. Apparently, they installed hurricane proof windows and shudders along with other enhancements a year or so ago and said they think they will be fine. No contact today as is to be expected since power will probably be out by now.

Spoke to my daughter in the Bushnell area a little while ago. A little light rain, but expecting it to get heavier. Wind gusts up to 40. guess they are missing a lot of it.
I am not far from Bushnell, they are the next county over. Have you been to or toured Dade Battlefield. It is very historic. Sumter County is a very nice area of Old Florida.

Last edited:
I am not far from Bushnell, they are the next county over. Have you been to or toured Dade Battlefield. It is very historic. Sumter County is a very area of Old Florida.
They previously lived near Dade City. Just bought small ranch by Bushnell. I've never even seen it. I had a customer in Orlando. I used to deliver to him and visit her and the grand kids on the same trip. Would take them to WDW or some place before WDW got so woke. Last trip, I took her a revolver and a shotgun, then took her to a shooting range to make sure she knew what to do. Her and her husband are both pretty good shots. Never had time for an extended stay, so I haven't had much extra time.

So how long should a car battery last? DW's was dead tonight on 2017 CR-V. Original. Son ran it a couple times for a few minutes in the 15 days we were gone but still this. Car has only 25K on it though I don't know that much matters. Thanks.

So how long should a car battery last? DW's was dead tonight on 2017 CR-V. Original. Son ran it a couple times for a few minutes in the 15 days we were gone but still this. Car has only 25K on it though I don't know that much matters. Thanks.
AAA provides a good service for car batteries. They come out, replace the battery and haul the old one off. The only problem, their batteries suck. Lucky to get 3 years.

This photo was taken in a local parking lot. There are miles of utility trucks set to go into service once roads are cleared. These arrived from out of state, Alabama. We are a distance from the storm center so things are safe for parking and to be on the ready. 47,000 utility workers have a huge job ahead. But they are organized and will hit the ground running.

309327981_10221829720949336_7455945783449395946_n.jpg

Last edited:
Good Morning D

I just want to thank God for his protection and for the prayers of my D League friends. Most I have never met in person but share a kindred spirit.

We were spared from any adverse weather, we only got a mild rain during the day and no wind to speak of. But I also reflect and pray for my fellow Floridians who were not so fortunate. Many many lost everything and their lives are shattered this morning. One almost feels guilty when you see what happened to them and I haven't even been without electricity for a split second. May God be with them.

I have been in and been to many hurricanes in my life. I think my first was when I was one year old. But the magnitude of this one may be one of if not the worst in my 79 years on this earth. Daylight will give a clearer picture but I expect the worse.

So although I am grateful and blessed my thoughts and prayers go to those who are not. Please say a little prayer for them. Although we did not get the hurricane here we had some strange weather going on. Our beach was sucked into the Gulf, down at Tampa Bay it to was sucked out into the Gulf of Mexico. Below is a picture of Ochlockonee Bay in Panacea, Florida. This is in the big bend area of the state of the Panhandle. A long, long, long way from where the hurricane hit. The bay is dry as a bone. The water was sucked out into the Gulf. It will come back but this shows the strength of what nature is and can do.

309694375_5713482178690689_1437309776407259615_n.jpg

Morning Legionnaires!

Prayers go out to all who have suffered through this storm and those still in harm's way. Daughter had contact with one cousin last night (text from cell phone) and she said they had about 3 ft of water in their back yard but did not know the extent of the damage because they had not gone out yet. Winds still high at the time.

May God bless and keep you safe.

Sawnee, I’m happy you were spared. Continued prayers for those who face some difficult days.

And a prayer for the reporters from the New York Times and Washington Post who were sent to Florida with explicit instructions: “Find the state run organizations or services managed by Desantis that failed, and interview some crying grandma who was harmed as a result. We need headlines by later today!” Sounds like they may have a tough task criticizing the preparation and execution of storm relief.

As for the D-League, I wish you all well.

Forgot to give fishing report from yesterday so here it is:

Went to a pond (Mennard, big enough to be considered a small lake) that I had only been to once because I did not even get a bite last time. Well, after the second cast I hooked a catfish that was about 4 1/2 pounds and that was the last bite I got in 2 hours of fishing there. Bass were jumping everywhere but not taking the bait. I then moved on to Natches where bass were moving but not biting either save one I hooked and landed weighing around 3 pounds.

Not a good fishing day so to speak but, I did not get skunked and any day out fishing is better than no day out fishing. Mennard pictured below to show just how big this pond is:

20220928-090513.jpg

20220928-090517.jpg

20220928-090521.jpg

Last edited:
Sawnee, I’m happy you were spared. Continued prayers for those who face some difficult days.

And a prayer for the reporters from the New York Times and Washington Post who were sent to Florida with explicit instructions: “Find the state run organizations or services managed by Desantis that failed, and interview some crying grandma who was harmed as a result. We need headlines by later today!” Sounds like they may have a tough task criticizing the preparation and execution of storm relief.

As for the D-League, I wish you all well.
Yes, it would take a plant for sure. But you know they are working on that.

Facts: There has never been preparations for a storm like we saw down here in U.S. History. They even got black hawk helicopters from Alabama to help in search and rescue. There was a call a few days ago for airboats to be on the ready. The Cajun Navy has arrived from Louisiana. An invaluable group of people in times of a storm. Governor DeSantis went out of his way in a press conference to stress how much he appreciated their presence.

Drones are flying at this moment to identify the priorities of power restoration. Every base was covered.

But, my concern is potential loss of life, especially Ft Meyers and barrier islands. Population growth has made this a dangerous area in times of storms. New comers have never experienced hurricanes and may not know how to act. I hope this does not translate into deaths. Today will provide the answer.

Yes, it would take a plant for sure. But you know they are working on that.

Facts: There has never been preparations for a storm like we saw down here in U.S. History. They even got black hawk helicopters from Alabama to help in search and rescue. There was a call a few days ago for airboats to be on the ready. The Cajun Navy has arrived from Louisiana. An invaluable group of people in times of a storm. Governor DeSantis went out of his way in a press conference to stress how much he appreciated their presence.

Drones are flying at this moment to identify the priorities of power restoration. Every base was covered.

But, my concern is potential loss of life, especially Ft Meyers and barrier islands. Population growth has made this a dangerous area in times of storms. New comers have never experienced hurricanes and may not know how to act. I hope this does not translate into deaths. Today will provide the answer.
Yeah, hoping for the best. I know Florida can take a tremendous beating from a hurricane without lots of fatalities —as far back as Andrew the loss of life in Florida was remarkably small considering the incredible devastation. Let’s hope this one sees the same pattern.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT