ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

Feeling like a major sucker today. A couple of years ago I spent $12K to pay off a granddaughter's school loan. Didn't want that bill hanging over her head. Looking like I should have waited.
Fortunately we did not incur any student loans but that doesn't make me feel any better about this craziness. Like most things the government does we, the taxpayer, will end up paying.

I can't believe America continues to sit back and take it. This stunt alone should make 90% of voters refuse to vote Democrat. There is a certain segment of society that will vote for them no matter what the circumstances but you would think most people would wake up.

We have universities and colleges with endowments over 1 billion dollars. Some are 25 or 30 or more. Their tuition is criminal and the salaries the professors make are obscene. Somebody should be looking at the rip off by the universities and not take money out of some poor blue collar worker who goes by the rules and always ends up screwed. But we all know that will not happen.

Feeling like a major sucker today. A couple of years ago I spent $12K to pay off a granddaughter's school loan. Didn't want that bill hanging over her head. Looking like I should have waited.
My problem is that my folks paid for my college and I paid for my kids college; one, a private Eastern school, and one at UK from out of state. When do I get my $150,000+ along with the interest? (from 30 years ago. compound interest really goes out the ceiling.) (Answer. NEVER!)

Screw Joe Biden. He needs to retire.

Good morning, D-League

Finally got 8 hours of sleep after 10/11 days not getting 6 straight. Gonna make the most of it! May God bless you all! Let's give thanks in return!
Mr. G, I was having trouble sleeping, I was reading about drinking Cherry juice, it said it helps with sleep, I tried it and it does help me, I drink about a half a glass about an hour before I go to bed. It may be psyco-logical but I does. I buy it at Kroger, called Juicy-Juice.

Mr. G, I was having trouble sleeping, I was reading about drinking Cherry juice, it said it helps with sleep, I tried it and it does help me, I drink about a half a glass about an hour before I go to bed. It may be psyco-logical but I does. I buy it at Kroger, called Juicy-Juice.

Sir, Another good source for restful sleep is leaf lettuce or even head lettuce. (I think the home grown variety is most potent.) My Darling grows the leaf lettuce variety and it has a very calming effect. (May be worth giving a try.)

You can find some articles on lettuce water but eat a handful or two 30 minutes before sleeping and check it out. (I am blessed with sound sleep and have been since I can remember but My Darling during the growing season uses it and though she doesn't mention it seems to sleep better when she takes in a good helping of fresh lettuce. Just an observation I have seen from my wife.

The Cherry juice is good as well. (I like it but more for enjoyment.) (Maybe a combination or concoction of some sort...)

How to tell where a softball will be hit before it is hit:

It always helps to know your hitter and to watch him in the on deck circle and as he steps into the box, but these are minor things. A long time ago, to get a few more steps in, I told myself to take a minimum of 3 steps in the direction the ball will be hit on every pitch. That meant I had to figure out where the ball would be hit as I didn't want to move in the wrong direction. To many guys don't react till the ball is hit.

I quit watching the hitter. I started watching the ball as it left the pitchers hand. I never saw the hitter again till the ball reached the plate. It doesn't take long for you to recognize where the pitch will be when it gets to the hitting zone. As a thirdbaseman, the further the pitch was to my throwing hand, the more the ball would be pulled. The futher to the left of the plate, the further the ball would be hit to my glove side. Down the middle and the closer to straight at me. I'd start drifting in the appropriate direction while the ball was still approaching the plate. Always be charging to be on your toes. You might have to fine tune the direction after the ball is hit, but your momentum already has you 3 steps in the right direction. With many years of this method, I was never wrong once. I don't mean I could tell you, this ball will be hit to the SS for instance, but I knew I had to go hard left to make A play.

Hope you guys don't take this a bragging post. I miss baseball and softball and my grandkids are a long ways away. Maybe this knowledge will help someone.

It always helps to know your hitter and to watch him in the on deck circle and as he steps into the box, but these are minor things. A long time ago, to get a few more steps in, I told myself to take a minimum of 3 steps in the direction the ball will be hit on every pitch. That meant I had to figure out where the ball would be hit as I didn't want to move in the wrong direction. To many guys don't react till the ball is hit.

I quit watching the hitter. I started watching the ball as it left the pitchers hand. I never saw the hitter again till the ball reached the plate. It doesn't take long for you to recognize where the pitch will be when it gets to the hitting zone. As a thirdbaseman, the further the pitch was to my throwing hand, the more the ball would be pulled. The futher to the left of the plate, the further the ball would be hit to my glove side. Down the middle and the closer to straight at me. I'd start drifting in the appropriate direction while the ball was still approaching the plate. Always be charging to be on your toes. You might have to fine tune the direction after the ball is hit, but your momentum already has you 3 steps in the right direction. With many years of this method, I was never wrong once. I don't mean I could tell you, this ball will be hit to the SS for instance, but I knew I had to go hard left to make A play.

Hope you guys don't take this a bragging post. I miss baseball and softball and my grandkids are a long ways away. Maybe this knowledge will help someone.

Sir, good stuff. Brings back fond memories. I trained my son up training him to play baseball. Loved the game. My son had the talent to excel but he just didn't love it enough to get to the next level. He never really applied himself until he came back from Iraq. (Oh the stories... ) Thanks

That’s good stuff Bernie. I was a shortstop -baseball through high school, pretty high level softball after - but I don’t think I was as much a student of positioning as you. Thanks to my dad I did have good technique-kept my hands in the dirt (it’s easier to come up on the ball - never let a bad hop get under your hands) and my feet moving and good balance on the pitch. I was decent at reading hitters and stealing a step or two in the right direction. I could play deep because I had a good arm. But I wasn’t overly quick so I had to play deep to get to enough balls.

loved the game. Wish I could still play.

Last edited:
That’s good stuff Bernie. I was a shortstop -baseball through high school, pretty high level softball after - but I don’t think I was as much a student of positioning as you. Thanks to my dad I did have good technique-kept my hands in the dirt and my feet moving and good balance on the pitch. I was decent at reading hitters and stealing a step or two in the right direction. I could play deep because I had a good arm. But I wasn’t overly quick so I had to play deep to get to enough balls.

loved the game. Wish I could still play.
Thanks. At 37 with a bad leg and bad throwing arm, A 25 year college coach told my teammates I was the best 3B he had ever seen. I had hoped to find a MLB tryout camp after Nam, but to many bad memories needed drowning.

Thanks. At 37 with a bad leg and bad throwing arm, A 25 year college coach told my teammates I was the best 3B he had ever seen. I had hoped to find a MLB tryout camp after Nam, but to many bad memories needed drowning.
As an old third sacker you might like this story.

When I was a young cocky reporter I had an older partner who had a knack for deflating me and keeping me grounded.

One year we get invited to the White House Correspondents Dinner and my buddy gets Brooks Robinson to agree to come as our guest. I was a huge fan and dying to talk to Brooks about the 1970 Series when he single-handedly broke my Reds.

I don’t get a chance until late in the evening when we were all -Brooks included -about half sloshed

I walked up and my buddy says, “Brooks, this is my partner. He was media co-ed league all star shortstop this year.”

And Brooks Robinson - greatest 3rd baseman of his generation - looks me right in the eye as says, “Wow. That’s impressive!” I felt about six inches tall as all the guys in earshot cracked up.

When I was a young cocky reporter I had an older partner who had a knack for deflating me and keeping me grounded.

One year we get invited to the White House Correspondents Dinner and my buddy gets Brooks Robinson to agree to come as our guest. I was a huge fan and dying to talk to Brooks about the 1970 Series when he single-handedly broke my Reds.

I don’t get a chance until late in the evening when we were all -Brooks included -about half sloshed

I walked up and my buddy says, “Brooks, this is my partner. He was media co-ed league all star shortstop this year.”

And Brooks - greatest 3rd baseman of his generation - looks me right in the eye as says, “Wow. That’s impressive!” I felt about six inches tall as all the guys in earshot cracked up.
Was he putting you down or just funning with you because he was sloshed? I figured he was a nice guy. Bill James of saber metric fame, claims that baseball people who are great defensively are generally nicer people than the offensive stars. Something about being more selfless.

Was he putting you down or just funning with you because he was sloshed? I figured he was a nice guy. Bill James of saber metric fame, claims that baseball people who are great defensively are generally nicer people than the offensive stars. Something about being more selfless.
He was just being funny. My buddy put him up to it, I figure. “Co-ed Media League” is a pretty big step down from MLB Hall of Fame. He seemed like a really good guy after that one crack. And we did talk about that 1970 series. He said some of those great plays were just reflexes. Yeah, like Bird hitting a contested 3 with three guys hanging on him in the last second.

It does. I recommend it to a lot of people. Bought some cherries 2 days ago and keep forgetting to eat them! Thank you, @cordmaker !!

Good morning from ATX. Currently 75°F and clear. Today's high expected near 95°F. We'll take it.

News just announced our burn ban for Travis County has been lifted. Like we burn anything at all.

8 more days until Kentucky football. WKU starts season tomorrow.

Happy Friday, y'all. Wishing happiness and health for all our fellow D-League members.

28860-do-do-paper-sstock-2183618603.jpg

Good morning D-League. Staying dark later these days. The summer is going fast.

Cool this morning. Invigorating walking weather.

Cord, I hope your symptoms are mild. My wife, daughter and I all had it within the last month, and I’ve felt worse from routine colds.

Not much happening yet today so I will wish you all well and check in later.

Does it help with your hydraulics? ;)

Sir, Another good source for restful sleep is leaf lettuce or even head lettuce. (I think the home grown variety is most potent.) My Darling grows the leaf lettuce variety and it has a very calming effect. (May be worth giving a try.)

You can find some articles on lettuce water but eat a handful or two 30 minutes before sleeping and check it out. (I am blessed with sound sleep and have been since I can remember but My Darling during the growing season uses it and though she doesn't mention it seems to sleep better when she takes in a good helping of fresh lettuce. Just an observation I have seen from my wife.

The Cherry juice is good as well. (I like it but more for enjoyment.) (Maybe a combination or concoction of some sort...)
Lettuce pray that both of you find restful sleep.

Informative actually. To quote Will Sonnet: "No brag just fact".

Sir, good stuff. Brings back fond memories. I trained my son up training him to play baseball. Loved the game. My son had the talent to excel but he just didn't love it enough to get to the next level. He never really applied himself until he came back from Iraq. (Oh the stories... ) Thanks
Yeah, I wish that I had the opportunity to play organized sports past the age of 12. My stepfather used to come and pick me and one of my brothers up after school if he was working close enough to come and get us (Dry Waller). If not, he would work us on the weekends and through the summer learning the trade. Said we would thank him later. Paid us pennies on the dollar. He self-contracted and wanted us to join his business after school. I joined the Army 2 months after I graduated high school. Hated drywall.

Who knows what possibly could have happened if I had the chance to play in school. Well, at least in baseball because I was pretty good and loved the game which is why am still playing softball to this day. Starting fall league in two weeks.

This reminds me of a joke (if I can remember it) Horse racing theme:

The starting bell rings:

They're off and running,
Joker is ahead by a neck,
With Girls tight behind.
Bubblegum is sticking to the rail,
While water is running steady.
Tomato is trying to Ketchup,
And Toilet paper wipes up the rear!

I must be butter because I am on a roll.
Or posting too much ish and should on a roll.

Thank you, I'll be here all day. Don't forget to tip the waitstaff.

Last edited:
Top of the morning to you gents. It is sunny and 75.9°F in Smiths Grove and we are supposed to get up to a warm 89° with a 20% chance of rain. I got my new rain gauge out yesterday and I am ready.

On base ball or any other sport: if I grew up with Babe Ruth, Johnny Bench and all the great ones I would never have been worth a crap at baseball or any other sport. I simply do not have the timing. I tried my best to be good at basketball, football and baseball and while I could make the team I simply was not good. I did make State in running the 440 but refused to go to state because I did not like getting sick at the end of the races.

Even golf. I played a lot because that is part of being in Sales and Marketing and I never got good.

Have a good Friday.

My problem is that my folks paid for my college and I paid for my kids college; one, a private Eastern school, and one at UK from out of state. When do I get my $150,000+ along with the interest? (from 30 years ago. compound interest really goes out the ceiling.) (Answer. NEVER!)

Screw Joe Biden. He needs to retire.
How does a President of the United States have the power to "forgive a loan" and pass the debt to the taxpayers. That would be the action of a King or Dictator. Not an elected President in a democracy. I use the term elected loosely.

This morning my daughter called and she was livid over this. She despises Biden for his actions. She did not go to college directly out of high school. She took a job in the medical records department at a local hospital and started saving her money. After two years out of high school she enrolled in a private university and paid her way through it, graduating cum laude. She had taken a job with a major media corporation and more than doubled her salary. She insisted on paying 100% of her college and continued to work during her schooling. The cost to go to this private university was not cheap. But she has always been fiercely independent and would not take a penny from us to pay for her education.

She also commented that her co-workers share her feelings. Most of them also took out student loans and repaid them years ago. They feel it is a slap in the face and being done to buy votes. I have to agree.

For the snake lovers on the D League. @BBUK The picture below was sent to me from a friend of over 50 years. He took the picture while out in the woods and it is a snake with the wing of a hawk in its mouth. So what does he do? He grabbed the snake by the tail and the snake released the hawk. They all lived happily ever after. You don't mess with my buddy Tom, especially out in the swamps. He was born and raised in the swamp.

404018_3257145640370_284530427_n.jpg

How does a President of the United States have the power to "forgive a loan" and pass the debt to the taxpayers. That would be the action of a King or Dictator. Not an elected President in a democracy. I use the term elected loosely.

This morning my daughter called and she was livid over this. She despises Biden for his actions. She did not go to college directly out of high school. She took a job in the medical records department at a local hospital and started saving her money. After two years out of high school she enrolled in a private university and paid her way through it, graduating cum laude. She had taken a job with a major media corporation and more than doubled her salary. She insisted on paying 100% of her college and continued to work during her schooling. The cost to go to this private university was not cheap. But she has always been fiercely independent and would not take a penny from us to pay for her education.

She also commented that her co-workers share her feelings. Most of them also took out student loans and repaid them years ago. They feel it is a slap in the face and being done to buy votes. I have to agree.
He can't and hopefully a law suit will be coming.

Let's go Brandon.

And Brooks Robinson - greatest 3rd baseman of his generation - looks me right in the eye as says, “Wow. That’s impressive!” I felt about six inches tall as all the guys in earshot cracked up.

I sure used to love watching the Orioles play the Tigers when Brooks Robinson and Aurelio Rodriguez played in their prime. Just awe struck...

I went to Tiger games several times. Got to sit on the 3rd base side in Old Tiger Stadium and watched a game during warm ups. Aurelio used a new glove to warm up with but always switched to his old glove during games. When he threw to first base I remember the ball never seemed to brake the plane from his release to where the 1B caught it. Just marveled at the arm strength.

Also saw Aurelia and Brooks talking together once before a game. Seems I was always able to watch the Tigers and Orioles. (Saw the A's as I remember as well a few times.) Some decent memories at that stadium. I will keep one for another time.

Good morning from ATX. Currently 75°F and clear. Today's high expected near 95°F. We'll take it.

News just announced our burn ban for Travis County has been lifted. Like we burn anything at all.

8 more days until Kentucky football. WKU starts season tomorrow.

Happy Friday, y'all. Wishing happiness and health for all our fellow D-League members.

28860-do-do-paper-sstock-2183618603.jpg

I took delivery of some toilet paper today. Also used some. (I guess I covered all the angles...)

Sir,

My oldest (The CRNA) did the same thing. She paid her own way and finished debt free working three different jobs. My Darling and I bought her a car and some other things but she is the worst penny-pinching miser I have ever known or heard of. I tell my oldest to this day that she will never be in charge of anything where me or her Mom are concerned. I'd just dig a hole and sit next to it until it was time to go. (We have hopefully planned well.) Living under my oldest daughters control is not imaginable. She gets so angry when I say that but I really mean it and she knows it.

The other two will take and spend what they can get though both own their homes... I am thankful...

I sure used to love watching the Orioles play the Tigers when Brooks Robinson and Aurelio Rodriguez played in their prime. Just awe struck...

I went to Tiger games several times. Got to sit on the 3rd base side in Old Tiger Stadium and watched a game during warm ups. Aurelio used a new glove to warm up with but always switched to his old glove during games. When he threw to first base I remember the ball never seemed to brake the plane from his release to where the 1B caught it. Just marveled at the arm strength.

Also saw Aurelia and Brooks talking together once before a game. Seems I was always able to watch the Tigers and Orioles. (Saw the A's as I remember as well a few times.) Some decent memories at that stadium. I will keep one for another time.
Those were a couple greats, BBUK. When I first got to the DC area there was no DC baseball team yet, and I was still really into the game, so a few buddies and I used to drive up to the Orioles old park on 33rd Street - Memorial Stadium. Brooks was retired but I got to see the entire career of Cal Ripken unfold -- and it goes without saying, if you went to an Orioles game CAL WAS PLAYING.

Then, the Orioles moved to Camden Yards, and I saw tons of games there. Still maybe the most beautiful park I've been in, and I've been in Fenway, Yankee Stadium, Wrigley and Dodgers Stadium, among others. I saw some fabulous performances there, including a couple Ken Griffey catches that defied gravity and made you not believe your eyes.

I was also at a game, this was in the Old Memorial Stadium, when both Earl Weaver and Billy Martin got tossed. Very entertaining. Martin wasn't even mad at the ump, he was just mad at the world. Twice Ricky Henderson had drawn walks, stolen second and third, then got tagged out on unsuccesful suicide squeeze plays. I think the second time -- maybe both times -- the batter was Cliff Johnson, this huge hulking, 6'5'' guy. Bantam Billy got in his face to the point where I thought he would actually start crying on the field -- then turned on the umpire.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT