ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

Good Monday Morning D

We have 73° and should reach 87°. There is a 70% chance of rain this afternoon, the humidity is 98% so drink a lot of water, so says my doctor.

I have a list of things to do today and might need a second pot of coffee to get it going. So take care all and I am wishing you good health.

300367378_10159999870441023_9196385037471270988_n.jpg

Good morning from ATX. Currently 77°F and partly cloudy. Today's high expected around 96°F. Near Georgetown TX, they received almost 6 inches rain yesterday. We got nothing, although our chances increase tomorrow and Wednesday.

Watched a little pre-season NFL football on CBS last night (Steelers vs Lions). Meh.

Monday, Monday... Another weekend in the books.

Wishing happiness and health for all our fellow D-League members.

befunky-design9.jpg
I think I may have been 11 or 12 years old before I knew what Chinese food was. Daddy brought home a big can of La Choy Chow Mien, a can of what looked like fried noodles and a bottle of soy sauce. Mama made a big pot of white rice and we poured that stuff over it.

It was the saltiest meal I had had in my life, even more so than grandma's home brewed sauerkraut. But I really liked it and asked daddy to buy some more. I was a grown adult and married before I ate in a Chinese Restaurant. We are lucky to have some really good ones around here.

71QMXwQZtoL._AC_UL232_SR232,232_.jpg

Sawnee, we never had any “exotic” food growing up - even spaghetti. My dad had us on a strict rotation of “American” foods. When we’d eat out it was always a hamburger joint. For whatever reason he was just dead set against experimenting with any foods he hadn’t grown up with.

I remember when I was about 14 a friend’s older sister took us to a Pizza place. I thought I’d died and gone to heaven. When I was 19 I was working out in western Colorado and met a girl who was into cooking Mexican food. Another rapturous experience. I was out of college working my first professional job in Florida when a bunch of us went to a Chinese restaurant. I had no idea what to order so someone put me on to Moo Shoo Pork. That’s still my order today.

I used to think white beans, mashed potatoes and a slice of white bread was standard fare for supper for everyone. Mayonnaise sandwich for school lunch. There are very few foods I actually like. For the most part, food is just for sustenance.
I guess my weakness in life is, I like about any food put in front of me. Cooking and large meals were a big part of my growing up. We would have Dinner On The Grounds at church about once a month or so and then Homecoming at church in the fall. That would consist of all night gospel singing and the sisters of the church would bring out the very best cooking imaginable.

The sisters loved to show off what they raised in their gardens that summer and put it on the table. Especially Sister Runyon. Her banana pudding, collards and chicken & dumplings stole the show. Of course every lady had to show off their fried chicken and some body always roasted a pig. The men would chopped that thing up and cover it with Sister Runyon's BBQ sauce. How I graduated from high school weighing only 160 lbs is a mystery to science.

Notice how skinny these folks are. You seldom saw a fat one.

iu

Girthang, prayers for your family.

I used to think white beans, mashed potatoes and a slice of white bread was standard fare for supper for everyone. Mayonnaise sandwich for school lunch. There are very few foods I actually like. For the most part, food is just for sustenance.
You and my dad could share a meal any time Bernie. Beans, cornbread, biscuits, fried taters, homemade vegetable soup from garden fare put up in large mason jars, and the occasional fried chicken, pork chop or chopped steak. That would have constituted 95 percent of our suppers easily until I was old enough to drive and forage for myself with money I earned.

So, the NASA launch delayed. I'm actually supporter of taking these steps to go back to the moon. It's a better way to waste money than the 6-7 trillion dollars Biden has spent as giveaways in the past 18 months.

But NASA DEFINITELY needs a better, more capable spokesperson than Bill Nelson (no offense Sawnee. You may be a supporter) -- or he was quoted out of context.

Asked why to bother going back to the moon when we went a half century ago, he was quoted saying, “It’s a future where NASA will land the first woman and the first person of color on the moon,” Bill Nelson, the NASA administrator, said.

That's it? We're doing it as history's most expensive Affirmative Action project?

Hell, if that's why we are doing it, just load Kamala Harris in a giant cannon, point it skyward and declare success. Another two-fer.

So, the NASA launch delayed. I'm actually supporter of taking these steps to go back to the moon. It's a better way to waste money than the 6-7 trillion dollars Biden has spent as giveaways in the past 18 months.

But NASA DEFINITELY needs a better, more capable spokesperson than Bill Nelson (no offense Sawnee. You may be a supporter) -- or he was quoted out of context.

Asked why to bother going back to the moon when we went a half century ago, he was quoted saying, “It’s a future where NASA will land the first woman and the first person of color on the moon,” Bill Nelson, the NASA administrator, said.

That's it? We're doing it as history's most expensive Affirmative Action project?

Hell, if that's why we are doing it, just load Kamala Harris in a giant cannon, point it skyward and declare success. Another two-fer.
🤣 100% agree. Me support Bill Nelson? I did everything under the sun to make sure he was defeated for re-election. One thing I want is him out of the position at NASA and out of the public eye forever. He is milk toast bad. Just a dufus who will pander for every vote and deliver nothing but division.

I do not support or vote for any Democrat. That ended with Jimmy Carter

🤣 100% agree. Me support Bill Nelson? I did everything under the sun to make sure he was defeated for re-election. One thing I want is him out of the position at NASA and out of the public eye forever. He is milk toast bad. Just a dufus who will pander for every vote and deliver nothing but division.

I do not support or vote for any Democrat. That ended with Jimmy Carter
My mistake Sawnee. Somehow in my haste this morning I mis-remembered Nelson as a Republican. He is indeed a wimp and a panderer. And a dummy, based on that answer. "Let's go to the moon so a Black guy and a Hispanic woman can have their turn." idiotic.

Man we had a hot day yesterday. At 6:30 this morning it was already 75°F, now it is 80.1° and we are supposed to get up to 88°F but yesterday we went higher than predicted and I bet we get to 90 today. The one good thing is we have a 50% chance of rain, but I hope it is tonight as my mower is supposed to be here at 6:30 pm.

I always loved NASA and followed all the programs closely. I was disappointed to see the flight today scratched. I went to see several Shuddle launches. That is impressive and the Saturn V was simply awesome.

You all enjoy your Monday.

This morning I decided to go down and trade in my wifi modem because I have had it more than 6 years and it was about time. I did and the replacement they gave me has kept me busy all afternoon trying to connect to the internet. I had forgotten passwords and attempts to retrieve them were playing on my nerves. One roadblock after another but I stuck with it.

I finally got on, as you can see by my posting, but it was several hours of wasted time and frustrating to say the least. Living in a world of passwords and connecting with this and that and the other is something people a few generations ago did not have to worry about. No wonder they had peace of mind.

Girthang, prayers for your family.

Sir,

I ate most any edible food I could get my hands on growing up. (I ate enough but there was never much at one sitting enough to satisfy but even then I was thankful.) No waste of food in my home to this day.

Last edited:
Good morning, D-League!

I hope my dreams last night are not indicative of our future. Hope it's a great day for everyone.

Doctors that screwed up treatment of my relative with leukemia are now telling the family they can't cure her. Please pray that they will let her eat healthy food and get supplements that will help her digestive system. They've been feeding her empty calories, processed food, and starches since she got there over a month ago. No vitamin or nutritional supplements to help her

Thank you all. Very much appreciated

Sir Girth,

God's peace to you and your family along with The Masters healing touch....

God Bless you...

All is done now in the name of fairness when in reality it pilfers from those that have the least to give and are too engrossed in their own lives to realize mostly anything but the headlines.

Hello All,

I started early today and got home about 4:45. Only a 7.1 mile commute. Won't have to commute as much later and I should get home to work from home tomorrow about noon thirty.

I came home to rice and a large, right off the grill, chuck eye steak.

I do miss reading your posts and rarely miss your posts. Take care until a little later this evening when I get to my computer...

Also, I see good things I can do at work and that energizes me....

Last edited:

I would have answered, humanity needs to establish a base on the moon and then humanity can launch from there which would be a lot easier because of the lower gravity on the moon.

I would have answered, humanity needs to establish a base on the moon and then humanity can launch from there which would be a lot easier because of the lower gravity on the moon.
CatinIL -- I nominate you for NASA administrator! Nelson's response just took what should be an inspiring moment with the potential to engage younger people with a sense of wonder like we had in the late 1960s, and bring a divided America together in a moment of national pride -- and turned it into just another dreary commercial for diversity -- which, of course, will take away from the real accomplishments of the astronauts by making their posting to the mission feel like a hand out based on race or sex.

I have lots of Black and Hispanic friends here in DC. They find this constant, "First transgender male African-American" nonsense as tedious as everyone else. Only politicians and activists earning off pushing this stuff care anymore.

CatinIL -- I nominate you for NASA administrator! Nelson's response just took what should be an inspiring moment with the potential to engage younger people with a sense of wonder like we had in the late 1960s, and bring a divided America together in a moment of national pride -- and turned it into just another dreary commercial for diversity -- which, of course, will take away from the real accomplishments of the astronauts by making their posting to the mission feel like a hand out based on race or sex.

I have lots of Black and Hispanic friends here in DC. They find this constant, "First transgender male African-American" nonsense as tedious as everyone else. Only politicians and activists earning off pushing this stuff care anymore.
I'd take the job.
Humanity needs to move beyond our planet. There's plenty of people living today (of all types) that can make it happen. Whether you like Elon Musk or not, it will take people like that to make it happen. I love NASA but private enterprise can make it happen faster and more cost effective in my opinion.

I'd take the job.
Humanity needs to move beyond our planet. There's plenty of people living today (of all types) that can make it happen. Whether you like Elon Musk or not, it will take people like that to make it happen. I love NASA but private enterprise can make it happen faster and more cost effective in my opinion.
Yeah - I think one of the accurate answers Boob Nelson could have given is - "with these missions NASA will set the stage of a new generation of private investment in space that is a key to our extra-terrestrial future."

But that would have required a faster brain than he apparently owns.

Yeah - I think one of the accurate answers Boob Nelson could have given is - "with these missions NASA will set the stage of a new generation of private investment in space that is a key to our extra-terrestrial future."

Absolutely. We need NASA, but private investment is what will take us further into space. Space Mining. At some point, some private enterprise will be mining on the moon or another planet or one of its moons. It won't be in our lifetime but it's coming. That will be something that moves humanity further out.

And the bottom line is that humanity HAS TO MOVE beyond our own solar system because that big bright light that rises in the east every morning will eventually start expanding and cook Mother Earth. I know I'm rambling but humanity should be pretty exciting in 100 years or so.

Absolutely. We need NASA, but private investment is what will take us further into space. Space Mining. At some point, some private enterprise will be mining on the moon or another planet or one of its moons. It won't be in our lifetime but it's coming. That will be something that moves humanity further out.

And the bottom line is that humanity HAS TO MOVE beyond our own solar system because that big bright light that rises in the east every morning will eventually start expanding and cook Mother Earth. I know I'm rambling but humanity should be pretty exciting in 100 years or so.

Till the Lord takes us home...

I'd take the job.
My wife made that point about Elon when I said NASA had scrubbed their launch. Lowest bidder anyone?

I was reading about the Popeye movie with Robin Williams. The original fake arms Williams used were to flimsy, so they had more made. They were heavy and difficult to wear. They cut off circulation and his arms would go numb. He could only film for a while, then wait till his arms regained circulation.

Speaking of faster brain processing, all of this talk of Popeye had me thinking of my favorite comedian and his propensity for shifting gears in mid thought. Robin Williams was just a genius and could think faster than most. You had to think pretty fast just to keep up with his humor. I miss that guy.

RIP Robin, demons haunt me too from time to time.

I was reading about the Popeye movie with Robin Williams. The original fake arms Williams used were to flimsy, so they had more made. They were heavy and difficult to wear. They cut off circulation and his arms would go numb. He could only film for a while, then wait till his arms regained circulation.
Beat me to it, great minds and all.

I liked that Popeye movie by Robin Williams (And a lot of Robin Williams work.). Robin had the world by the tail. Just unconscionable what happened. Demons for sure... Robin had some serious raunch going most of the time and seemed to get worse over time though admittedly I didn't follow him, just seemed to show more and more filth when I saw him perform or get interviewed. I jump on my son all the time for his language. No need for that filth or to live in that filth or to subject your family to that filth. (I use bad language from time to time but darn,....)

Good morning from ATX. Currently 78°F and cloudy. Humid. 50% chance for rain between 11 am to 4 pm. Today's high may reach 88°F.

Heard about Coach Stoops' press conference. Guess we'll have 5 freshman starters for the upcoming game. Go Cats!

Many low-water crossing warnings lately for our area. Usually happens when rains come.

Wishing happiness and health for all our fellow D-League members.

befunky-design18.jpg

Morning Legionnaires!

Finally got a good rain yesterday. It came down in buckets at first so, water was flowing fast. Then, it was steady but afterwards it soaked into the ground so fast I could sit in the grass (which I had cut earlier) hardly getting wet about two hours later. The ground was still solid. Had not had much this summer so the ground is soaking it up. Chance for some more later today and I hope we get it. Still will have temps in the 90's which will dry things up quickly.

Well, if we do get more rain my fishing holes will fill up for the fall season (yes!). Generally, makes for better fishing. Need it to cool off though so I can spend more hours out when I go.

DON'T WANT THIS:

Big-Fishing-Trip.gif

i WANT THIS:

Big-Fish.gif

I'd take the job.
I certainly agree with you about the need for more private enterprise involvement in our space ventures. I have a season pass at the Kennedy Space Center and have enjoyed visiting often and watching launches over the years.

We can thank President Trump for the revitalization of the space program. It was pretty much done for under Obama and was being turned into just another social justice forum and Arabic studies. Space exploration was pretty much dead. Then Trump revised it. He had the foresight to create the Space Force but even got criticized for that. But I give him thanks for having the ability to look to the future.

The comments by Bill Nelson show you what liberals are thinking and how they will act when they have total control. Too many people want to dwell on what happen in the Americas in the 1500's but I say develop the youngsters brains in science and technology and we will have more Elon Musk types who can make it happen.

Good morning. It is 72.3°F. We got a thunderstorm at 4:30 am and gave us .38". We are supposed to get to 86°F.

I hate the game Saturday is on ESPN+. I prefer it on the cable box. I am old and hard to please.
I certainly agree with you about ESPN+. I hate games that are streamed but someone told me that will be the future of sports television. I miss the days of just turning on the TV and the game came on. For all of our advancements it often seems like things end up a lot worse than they were. Like you, Bert, I am hard to please.

We have 73° and our high today will be 84°. We can expect heavy thunderstorms and that has been the pattern for the past few weeks. We had thunder so loud last night I swear the bed shook but that may have been my imagination. This house is built like a bomb bunker. It would take a Cat 5+ to structural damage it. Speaking of which it has been a very mild tropical storm season. As in none to date. But we still have a few months to go and some of our worst in history have been in September.

Austin commented we will have 5 freshmen starters on our football team. I take that as there is some talent on this squad and a positive sign. Kick her off boys.

302502391_5309681432442294_4939670927225182569_n.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT