ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

I recall Aur Rod. Always liked him. One year Ken Boyer started the World Series. for the Cards and brother Clete started for the Yankees. Ever hear of Don Hoak? My first Glove was a Hoak model. He was a pro boxer turned 3B because it was an easier life.
I remember Don Hoak, Bernie. What sticks in my mind about him was reading about his odd death when I was a kid and addicted to the sports section. He was pretty young, probably in his early 40s, when he died trying to stop someone from stealing a car, or some odd story like that. I don't think he was shot or run over, but had a heart attack. RIP you Knight of the Hot Corner.

I remember Don Hoak, Bernie. What sticks in my mind about him was reading about his odd death when I was a kid and addicted to the sports section. He was pretty young, probably in his early 40s, when he died trying to stop someone from stealing a car, or some odd story like that. I don't think he was shot or run over, but had a heart attack. RIP you Knight of the Hot Corner.
Yeah, I'd forgot about it. Hoak saw someone steal his BIL car and jumped in his car to give chase. Had a heart attack during the chase. He caused a rule change in baseball. While running the bases, he caught a possible double play ball and threw it to the SS. With no rule to cover it, the ump called Hoak out and gave the batter a single. Anew rule was made to cover intentional interference.

Good Saturday Morning to all,

Well today they kick off college football. I am ready. One more week before the Cats take the field. We have a pleasant day with a current temperature of 73° and it will move up to 86° by the afternoon. We have a 47% chance of rain this morning, then the skies will clear around noon. We do have a slight breeze and that helps with the humidity.

I trust all are well or improving. Things are booming around here and one of our local citizens has a message for all of the yankees flocking down in droves. Take care and watch out for the turtles.

301509827_10166481223425632_806146765182504737_n.jpg

I really enjoy the baseball discussions. It brings back great memories.

Good morning from ATX. Currently 76°F and clear with occasional clouds. Today's high predicted around 99°F.

SEC Kickoff Picnic today here in ATX at American Legion down on the river. I'm undecided about attending. According to Facebook invite, no food or beer like years past. Event starts at 10 am. We'll see.

Happy Saturday, y'all. Wishing happiness and health for all our fellow D-League members.

20200826173547_compress46-500x374.jpg

. . . . . .

Then, the Orioles moved to Camden Yards, and I saw tons of games there. Still maybe the most beautiful park I've been in, and I've been in Fenway, Yankee Stadium, Wrigley and Dodgers Stadium, among others. I saw some fabulous performances there, including a couple Ken Griffey catches that defied gravity and made you not believe your eyes.

. . . . . .
Camden Yards is the best that I have ever been in. I was at the opening as CSX owned Camden Yards where it was built and we got a bunch of tickets. It is what I would call classic 1890's baseball field.

Plus the seating was well though out. I love it.

Good morning D-League. It's currently 67° and cloudy here in Eastern Kentucky. This afternoon will bring mostly sunny skies and a high of 87°.

Yesterday evening we received some much needed rain. Seems like it's all or nothing with the rain.

Everyone stay safe on this Saturday.

GI_592652556_HauntedAlamo.jpg
I have a painting of the Alamo in our bedroom. Wonderful place and wonderful folks who died there.

Good morning folks. Back from a long hike.

Still lovely weather in the east. Nice photo of the Alamo 41112. I've enjoyed a couple visits there.
Of course, the "progressives" teaching American history in high school and colleges are hard at work changing the narrative about the place. They won't be happy until its portrayed as a nest of racist White Supremacists exterminated by noble Hispanics who were early defenders of diversity.

Lots of Kentuckians died there fighting for the right to live life free from the tyranny of an oppressive, brutal and corrupt Mexican government. Couldn't find the exact number. But this classic Marty Robbins song captures their spirit.

Last edited:
^ There's a church nearby where a casket containing the burned remains of the defenders is displayed.

Another cool thing about SA are the string of missions the Catholic Church established under Spain/Mexico rule that are preserved to varying degrees. The Alamo was one. Several are in quite good shape imo with 1-2 still having operating churches. Spent better part of a day visiting 5/6.

One week until kickoff, and I'm excited to see what this team can do this year. The group I'm most excited about is the wide receivers group. It could be the deepest and most talented ever at UK. Look for the tight end position to be frequently used under the new OC. Levis will be even better in year 2, and will benefit from the influx of talent at the skill positions. Our linebacker group is rated as a top 10 unit, and deservedly so. Other groups(OL,DL, and secondary)may lack experience, but they won't lack in talent. If those groups can jell quickly, a truly historic season could be in the offering. Now bring on Miami of Ohio.

Once heralded recruits, UK’s young defensive line has arrived at its time to shine

Kentucky native and QB target Cutter Boley now a top-50 recruit

Who replaces Wan'Dale Robinson? Five storylines to watch at Kentucky football fall camp

Lean and mean: Why some of Kentucky football's defensive line cut weight for 2022 season

Who starts at running back, left tackle? Projecting Kentucky football’s depth chart

Game-by-game predictions: Can Kentucky football meet great expectations in 2022?

2022 Kentucky Wide Receivers Preview

What we learned from Kentucky's defense in fall camp

Kentucky football preview: How Mark Stoops, Wildcats can live up to preseason hype

Ten bold predictions for this Kentucky football season

A candidate to start at a key position on the offensive line emerges for Kentucky football
David Wohlabaugh Jr. is emerging as Kentucky's top left tackle option

Will Kiyaunta Goodwin’s immense potential translate into a big role in Year 1?

What we learned from Kentucky's offense in fall camp

Tashawn Manning looks to be an anchor on Kentucky’s offensive line

SEC Network+ broadcast crew announced for Kentucky football season opener

ESPN predicts Kentucky football will finish 2nd in SEC East

Ramon Jefferson planning to bring physicality, toughness to table at Kentucky

I want to get back into football and basketball this season. (Will probably only be UK games.) I sure hope certain people don't screw it up for this season.

I finished my work today on my commuter car. (Mazda 3) Did what I call some serious work. Had the mass air sensor go bad and now I had several other issues. (Won't go into details.) In any event I will try a couple things I found on some Mazda sites as far as trying to fix the issue, if not, mechanic here I come.... sigh... (I bought a code gizmo to pinpoint the issues but what I did today I needed to do anyway but the codes are still there even after I clear them.) The car runs better with new transmission fluid but it is still shifting hard at each shift. (P061B and P0102)...

Last edited:
Good morning from ATX. Currently 77°F and partly cloudy. Today's high expected around 98°F.

Could not make Austin SEC Kickoff Tailgate yesterday. Worked out in the yard and ran errands instead. Maybe next year. Watched end of Nebraska vs Northwestern. Big Red not the same as 70s-90s.

Plan on going for a walk and then grocery shopping later. Fantasy Football draft at 5 CST today.

Wishing happiness and health for all our fellow D-League members.

befunky-design17.jpg

Good Sunday Morning

Currently it is 71° and we expect to reach a high of 87° this afternoon. We are going to get some moisture, probably a lot of it. We will have scattered showers and thunderstorms throughout the day that will bring an inch or so and later tonight another 80% chance of more thunderstorms and showers. Perhaps another inch or so. My wife loves it. She will get a good book and listen to the rain.

I enjoyed watching a few games yesterday and I am totally shocked at how far the Nebraska program has fallen. It seems like just yesterday they were running over every program in America to the tune of 50 plus points. Tom Osborne must have been one heck of a coach. IMO he does not get the credit he deserves. Some of the Nebraska and Oklahoma games were the best in football history. I doubt Scott Frost last much longer. Losing to Northwestern?

Next Saturday our Cats get a turn up to bat. I am ready. I trust all are well and have a nice Sunday, the Lord's Day.

301408602_440127791490876_207416018582038625_n.jpg

There is a little town called Safety Harbor that has a world class Spa and the rich and famous come from all over the world to enjoy it. My wife and I lived there when we first married.

It was discovered in 1539 by Hernando DeSoto as he traveled the Gulf coast for Spanish exploration. 10,000 years before DeSoto the Indians used the springs mineral waters for healing.

https://www.florida-backroads-trave...34oVWuRZC_HzGrqGgGZqtW2xMPvycvZjj_4ppYV4E1Vqs

SafetyHarborMainStreetBobKyle.jpg

Good morning D-League.

Had one of the best steaks of my life last night at one of DC’s best steakhouses. A belated anniversary dinner. Can you fellows name the very best steak you ever had?

I can. Night I turned 30. I was working on an assignment in Humboldt County, California, flying around with federal cops in helicopters who were busting Giant marijuana farms on federal land. We ended up in a rustic old restaurant that looked like it was from the TV set for Bonanza. But they laid out a steak so flavorful and with such a perfect texture I never forgot it. Probably helped to be starving.

But last night in DC was top 5 or 10. Love a great steak.

Got a late start walking today. Getting warm here in the east. Hope you all have a great day.

Good morning D-League.

Had one of the best steaks of my life last night at one of DC’s best steakhouses. A belated anniversary dinner. Can you fellows name the very best steak you ever had?

I can. Night I turned 30. I was working on an assignment in Humboldt County, California, flying around with federal cops in helicopters who were busting Giant marijuana farms on federal land. We ended up in a rustic old restaurant that looked like it was from the TV set for Bonanza. But they laid out a steak so flavorful and with such a perfect texture I never forgot it. Probably helped to be starving.

Got a late start walking today. Getting warm here in the east. Hope you all have a great day.
I am also a steak lover and have been blessed to eat at some of the most famous Steak Houses in America. From New York to San Francisco to Dallas to Miami and all points in between. Most were on business but a few were special between my wife and I.

I had an excellent Prime Rib - Eye 16 oz steak at The Palm in Washington DC. But picking the best is a hard order to fill. But if I had to pick one and pick the best dining experience of my life I would pick one right down the road. Bern's Steak House in Tampa, FL.

It is an experience and you are guaranteed to run into a famous celebrity or professional ball player while you are dining. Even though they have private booths. After your meal they have a special room for desserts and you also get a tour of their wine cellar. It is one of the most famous wine cellars on earth. Bern's Steak House Tampa, Fl.

https://bernssteakhouse.com/

Bern’s stores its wine collection, containing over half a million bottles and 6500 labels from all over the world, in its on site 50° working cellar and warehouse.

I shared the 32 oz Brasstown Grass Fed Cowboy Ribeye.

Last edited:
Good morning D-League.

I enjoy a great steak as well. Have to prepare as well for the type of steak. My Darling prepared several types of steak in different ways.

I've been to decent restaurants but not to the high-end restaurants except a couple times.

The key to steak is the steak itself. If you need more than black pepper, salt, and garlic then you need a better cut of steak. Just irks me to no end when a restaurant tries to "flavor" a steak.

In any event, glad you enjoyed. If you enjoyed it, it was a good steak. ;)

It is going to be a hot 93°F and is already at 76.8°.

On steak: working in Sales and Marketing I have had a bunch of good steaks around the country. I can't identify the best, but one of the best was at Willie G's in Houston, TX. They cook the steak to perfection and offer what they called Pontchartrain sauce (which was mushrooms, crab meat et.al.). Another was in Owings Mill, MD on the top of a hill on highway 30 maybe (I can't remember the name and I can't find it through google - probably closed by now). Great steak and they also have a similar side of mushrooms, crab meat etc. Bowling Green, KY has a place called Montana Grill and they have some good steaks also, along with really fine prime rib roast.

As a rule, I put salt on my steak and nothing else as I love the taste of beef steak and my favored cut is a plain strip steak. Most of my family prefer ribeye but the strip is my choice. At home I buy them one inch thick (I would prefer and inch and a half but usually you have to go to a butcher for that), bring them home, wash them with water, salt and pepper them, place them in a food saver bag, suck out the air and seal them. I then put them in the fridge for about three weeks until they start to change color from bright red to reddish brown. Then I either cook them or freeze them. At my age I can’t plan a steak dinner three weeks in advance, so they usually get frozen and then I have them when I get company.

I am fussy with the sides that I prefer. I like a salad (preferably no iceberg lettuce and the wilder the better) with blue cheese dressing and I prefer a baked sweet potato instead of the regular Idaho. Old people tend to get picky!

Back and soon to be at it. Picked up the BB after church and had Burger King today with My Darling and the BB. Home now and getting ready to head back to my Mazda to see if I can employee some tricks of the Mazda Forum. (I hope they work. I have had bad experiences with mechanics' trying to juice me. I have no issue paying and I do not try to reduce their charges BUT, I do not take kindly to trying to charge me for un-needed services. Theft by Deception is what it is... (The last mechanics business I had any good luck with was in E'Town Kentucky.)

I took 20 quarts of used oil and 5 quarts of used transmission fluid to the recycling center today. (Who knew the Lorton recycling center was a 7 day a week operation...)

If I need a mechanic, I have a shop I have done some small work with like a four wheel alignment (When I got the wife new tires.). I will try using them. IF I have to... (I will tell them up front, I just changed my oil and transmission fluid to keep that from becoming an issue. Along with my air filter.) I will know more later today.

The BB insisted on helping me today in the garage I plan to clean up a little while implementing some Mazda Forum insights. He asked that I turned on the hose while we are working. (He loves the mist option on the hose and the turkey has a super soaker I know he will want to refill a few times to my detriment...)

Check in later of the Lord doesn't take me home...

Good morning from ATX. Currently 77°F and partly cloudy. Today's high expected around 98°F.

Could not make Austin SEC Kickoff Tailgate yesterday. Worked out in the yard and ran errands instead. Maybe next year. Watched end of Nebraska vs Northwestern. Big Red not the same as 70s-90s.

Plan on going for a walk and then grocery shopping later. Fantasy Football draft at 5 CST today.

befunky-design17.jpg
Went out for lunch and then Sams where they had cherry turnovers or cherry pie. Went with the pie but, it was a tough decision.

I forgot to snap a picture when my darling made this cake. It is made of rice flour along with a red bean topping. (The rice cake was steamed when it was cooked together with the red bean topping.) This was after it was sliced and after the second day...

300427987_5956962290983968_642099869410160980_n.jpg

Just a hint of sugar to ensure not being overly sweet... Just an enjoyable treat with coffee...

Good Afternoon Legionnaires!

Hot one today as we will near 100° and will stay in the high 90's for the next few days. Morning was 75° and got hot quick. No fishing for the next few days. Need some cooling down now.

On steaks: I have never been big steak man. Chicken and fish have been my favorites otherwise I would probably be going out a lot with cattle prods instead of rod-n-reels. 😁

I forgot to snap a picture when my darling made this cake. It is made of rice flour along with a red bean topping. (The rice cake was steamed when it was cooked together with the red bean topping.) This was after it was sliced and after the second day...

300427987_5956962290983968_642099869410160980_n.jpg

Just a hint of sugar to ensure not being overly sweet... Just an enjoyable treat with coffee...
Oh man, that looks good. Looks like something I could have with my coffee. Before I read your post I thought it would be good with coffee.

Good morning, D-League!

I hope my dreams last night are not indicative of our future. Hope it's a great day for everyone.

Doctors that screwed up treatment of my relative with leukemia are now telling the family they can't cure her. Please pray that they will let her eat healthy food and get supplements that will help her digestive system. They've been feeding her empty calories, processed food, and starches since she got there over a month ago. No vitamin or nutritional supplements to help her

Thank you all. Very much appreciated

Good morning from ATX. Currently 77°F and partly cloudy. Today's high expected around 96°F. Near Georgetown TX, they received almost 6 inches rain yesterday. We got nothing, although our chances increase tomorrow and Wednesday.

Watched a little pre-season NFL football on CBS last night (Steelers vs Lions). Meh.

Monday, Monday... Another weekend in the books.

befunky-design9.jpg

Good morning, D-League!

I hope my dreams last night are not indicative of our future. Hope it's a great day for everyone.

Doctors that screwed up treatment of my relative with leukemia are now telling the family they can't cure her. Please pray that they will let her eat healthy food and get supplements that will help her digestive system. They've been feeding her empty calories, processed food, and starches since she got there over a month ago. No vitamin or nutritional supplements to help her

Thank you all. Very much appreciated
Prayer sent and God Bless.

Morning Legionnaires!

Today's highs will be more of the same for the next week or so, mid to upper 90's with the lows overnight in the mid 70's. Not good for the fishing unless I can get some morning cloud cover to keep the temp down for a bit.

Will be cutting grass after morning workout to avoid the heat.

Starting up fall softball in about a week. The only time I drink American beer.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT