ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

Good morning D

Well put me on the injured reserve list. Yesterday I was washing down the deck around my pool and dragging a garden hose. The hose knocked over a heavy and large planter and it went straight to the bottom of the pool. I jumped in, clothes and all, and attempted to lift it out.

Something popped in my left shoulder and I immediately had excruciating pain and limited use of my left arm. My wife has been out of state for 3 weeks and I am alone but I did manage to get the pot out of the pool. Not before spilling dirt, now mud, into the water. Today I will attempt to clean up the mess.

Meanwhile I am typing with my right hand and hurting like crazy but I will survive. It is the price for living a long life. Take care all and stay cool.

This was the culprit

00-VGoiT3Y43HCVi5zFo8RP4qAIx90G3xGFQmQ4UHj7teTQYdJ46OEuTPA1lEcN4Q1RqCe7ffHDJpwno-pEcjtJnw
Time eventually tells on all of us.

Good morning from ATX. Currently 77°F and partly cloudy. Today's high expected around 103°F. Heat is on again.

We've been attempting to conserve energy. Some measures we take are running large appliances (washer,dryer and especially our gas stove) during non-peak hours and using a crock pot. Plan on purchasing stew meat and fresh potatoes/veggies later today. Making beef stew tomorrow.

Spoke with daughter last night. All is well. She had a wisdom tooth removed, but is totally against using pain-killers. I'm proud of her because substance abuse, particularly opioid abuse, runs rampant on her mother's side of the family.

Wishing happiness and health for all our fellow D-League members.

befunky-design12.jpg

Morning Legionnaires!

108° on tap for today with 109° for tomorrow. Yes, it is going to get hot.

MIL and BIL were over yesterday as it was MIL's birthday (turned 75). Did not leave until 0215 this morning. Wife told me this morning that she (MIL) says that her and her son plan on moving to Florida at the end of Dec. this year. I will believe it when I see it. She was supposed to move April-May last year. Every time the time gets close it gets moved. She also said we could come and get the 2005 Kia Sportage we gave her Dec. 2017 that has been sitting broken down for about 2 years now. She drove it without an oil change for 2 years or any other kind of maintenance. We had new tires put on and did some maintenance the first year but told her it was on her afterwards and this is the result. Have been trying to get it back from her but she is stubborn and figured we would spend the money to fix it for her but, I give my wife credit this time for not giving in. I will spend the money to get repairs done and use it as a hooptie since it is much better on gas than my F150.

Last edited:
Ah, Stringbean from Jackson County, KY. My wife had kinfolks from there and they knew him and a several other Akemans in that area. The old time clawhammer style is a one of my favorite musical sounds and was prominent and common back in those Kentucky hills. I had the pleasure of seeing him in person several times and when he was robbed and murdered my blood boiled over. What animal would kill a good, harmless man like David Akeman and his wife. Sad.

My daddy was from Pike Co and grew up with a clawhammer style banjo picker, Molly O'Day. They sang together in church. She toured with Hank Williams and was the top female country singer in Nashville but gave it all up and walked off the stage and never recorded another secular song. She became an evangelist and gospel singer teaming with her husband Lynn Davis. I saw her many times at church and also visited the family up Homemade Holler. She had a couple of nieces that were "knockout" beautiful.

The bright lights of the big city and national fame were not what her heart desired. She was a mountain girl with strong religious convictions and turned her back on the world stage and just walked away.

Sir, I forgot that happened to Stringbean and his wife when I posted.😡😰

Cool stuff. I love history...sports history, political, military...everything. Have a couple of books on Stan and a book on the 1964 Cardinals. My Dad has a lot of Musial, Gibson, Brock, Boyer etc stories. My introduction to the Cards as a little kid were Ozzie, Willie McGee, Vince Coleman, Tommy Herr, Terry Pendleton, Jack Clark, Bob Forsch, John Tudor...
'64 was about the craziest pennant race ever. Phillies blew 14 games lead. Reds pulled ahead in last week with Cards right behind. Then Cards went ahead with Phils still around. On last weekend, Cards played lowly Mets and lost first two! So on Sunday, Reds played Phils & lost while Cards beat Mets to win it. I was playing adults Sunday p.m. baseball in a churches league & keeping track of the Reds demise. Man was it hot that day.

Good morning D

Well put me on the injured reserve list. Yesterday I was washing down the deck around my pool and dragging a garden hose. The hose knocked over a heavy and large planter and it went straight to the bottom of the pool. I jumped in, clothes and all, and attempted to lift it out.

Something popped in my left shoulder and I immediately had excruciating pain and limited use of my left arm. My wife has been out of state for 3 weeks and I am alone but I did manage to get the pot out of the pool. Not before spilling dirt, now mud, into the water. Today I will attempt to clean up the mess.

Meanwhile I am typing with my right hand and hurting like crazy but I will survive. It is the price for living a long life. Take care all and stay cool.

This was the culprit

00-VGoiT3Y43HCVi5zFo8RP4qAIx90G3xGFQmQ4UHj7teTQYdJ46OEuTPA1lEcN4Q1RqCe7ffHDJpwno-pEcjtJnw
Sorry to hear. But that's what you get for having a swimming pool. Most of us aren't that unlucky. :p

Cuz drinks Michelob Ultra and swears by it. He formerly drank Bud until his doctor told him to switch, believe it or not. Cuz somehow got Hep C. Hence doctor recommendation. Sounds crazy, I know.

I actually enjoyed the heck out of a 24 oz Yuengling at his place last Saturday night on Nolin Lake. Purchased at Chuck's near Smokey Pig. @Bert Higginbotha knows where I'm talking about. It was great. We also ate some wild turkey he shot earlier this year. Excellent.
I know the store. Plus I knew Chuck Evans. He is buried in Smiths Grove Cemetery. A story about Chuck. Smiths Grove is cave country and there is a big cave under the Cemetery. Chuck was buried a week or two and we got a gully washer. I get a call from the burial detail that Chuck's grave had open up.

We get over there and a cave had open up under Chucks grave. They brought him out, put some type of blow up devise in the large crack in the limestone rock below the grave put in a dozen bags of sac crete in the bottom and put Chuck back in the grave. So far so good. Chuck is still where he is supposed to be.

Howdy D-League. Just checking in with you fellows. Nothing much new with me, but feeling good as new after last week's bout.

My wife insists on keeping me isolated still, so I've been watching old movies and taking it easy. Took a ten-mile hike yesterday with nothing worse than a couple bouts of coughing to make me regret the exercise.

I may have mentioned this in previous conversations about Stan Musial but I saw his last hit in Cincinnati. All I remember for sure was it stayed in the infield, and I remember that, even though I was only 7, because I have a totally vivid recollection of my dad saying, "all the clean hits he's gotten and this one was a leg hit." I looked up the box score of that game on the baseball almanac - it was a Friday evening. The teams played again Saturday but Musial was 0-2. According to this box score dad and I were two of 11,155 in Crosley that evening, for which I'm grateful.

Of course, about a week later the same two teams finished the season in St. Louis, and Musial got his final hit past Rose, as Bernie says, and Rose was the one who rushed the ball over to him after it was returned to the infield.

Last edited:
Good morning D

This was the culprit

Get better Sawnee.

There is a cost to getting old. It is still better than dying young!

Cool stuff. I love history...sports history, political, military...everything. Have a couple of books on Stan and a book on the 1964 Cardinals. My Dad has a lot of Musial, Gibson, Brock, Boyer etc stories. My introduction to the Cards as a little kid were Ozzie, Willie McGee, Vince Coleman, Tommy Herr, Terry Pendleton, Jack Clark, Bob Forsch, John Tudor...
Since there's several baseball fans on the D and you are a Cardinal fan: I saw a video this morning supposedly from this past Saturday (yesterday) of Molina being thrown out of a basketball game (then kicking the basketball) in Puerto Rica. For the non Card fans, Molina hasn't played in a good while. He was/is supposed to be rehabbing a knee. Card fans on message boards are not happy.

As a Cardinal fan and speaking of the 1964 Championship do you have the record album, 33 1/3 LP) from that season? It is in my sports collection. I see it is for sale on ebay.

It is a great listen

th

Howdy D-League. Just checking in with you fellows. Nothing much new with me, but feeling good as new after last week's bout.

My wife insists on keeping me isolated still, so I've been watching old movies and taking it easy. Took a ten-mile hike yesterday with nothing worse than a couple bouts of coughing to make me regret the exercise.

I may have mentioned this in previous conversations about Stan Musial but I saw his last hit in Cincinnati. All I remember for sure was it stayed in the infield, and I remember that, even though I was only 7, because I have a totally vivid recollection of my dad saying, "all the clean hits he's gotten and this one was a leg hit." I looked up the box score of that game on the baseball almanac - it was a Friday evening. The teams played again Saturday but Musial was 0-2. According to this box score dad and I were two of 11,155 in Crosley that evening, for which I'm grateful.

Of course, about a week later the same two teams finished the season in St. Louis, and Musial got his final hit past Rose, as Bernie says, and Rose was the one who rushed the ball over to him after it was returned to the infield.

Rose never could field. Morgan would have stopped it.

Good morning D

This was the culprit

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Take a trip on the Wabash Cannonball... In honor of @_Rooster

Good morning D

It appears my left shoulder injury is most likely a torn rotator cuff. It couldn't happen at a worse time because I have 20 large bags of cypress mulch to spread around and had it on my calendar to do today. I don't like it but I guess things happen that way. I am going to get me a shoulder brace and skip a doctor's visit for the present. I found some good excercies on youtube and will try that too. If it clears up in a week or so I should be OK, if not well I will face that if it comes to that.

Meanwhile the weather down here is in the same summer pattern as usual. We have clear skies with a current temperature of 76° and 94% humidity. The high will hit 87° by mid afternoon. That humidity is not going away and we may have some rain showers later today. Chances are 46% but even if it does not rain we will have thunderstorms rumbling.

I need a coffee refill so I will wish all a good day and those in need of a physical touch, keep the faith.

fuel-horse.jpg

Morning Legionnaires!

103° expected for a high today which is 6° (cooling front ;)) lower than predicted a few days ago. Tomorrow is supposed to be 111°. No fishing planned for this week as the overnight temps are in the high 70's to lower 80's.

Left hand is still hurt to the point that I cannot swing the bat full out. May not play in the State tournament this weekend. 😒 Last time that happened was covid related.

Sorry to hear about Sawnee's rotator cuff, and Warriors hand.

Hope you guys feel better soon. I busted my rotator cuff many years back, and didn't get it surgically repaired. It healed up well enough to function.

But my days as a softball shortstop who could play really deep to get to balls and still throw guys out were over. That was about the best part of my game dating back to high school baseball, so I missed the feeling of nailing a guy by a step on a ball backhanded to my right.

Ah well. Not as traumatic as when I realized I couldn't dunk anymore, somewhere in my early 50s.

With that litany of loss, I'll wish you all a good day.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about Sawnee's rotator cuff, and Warriors hand.

Hope you guys feel better soon. I busted my rotator cuff many years back, and didn't get it surgically repaired. It healed up well enough to function.

But my days as a softball shortstop who could play really deep to get to balls and still thorw guys out were over. That was about the best part of my game dating back to high school baseball, so I missed the feeling of nailing a guy by a step on a ball backhanded to my right.

Ah well. Not as traumatic as when I realized I couldn't dunk anymore, somewhere in my early 50s.

With that litany of loss, I'll wish you all a good day.

Ouch on me... I have never been athletically inclined though I could do some things different ways. As an example of my athletic prowess. Even in my best shape in the Army (at Fort Huachuca) I had to have a running go to touch the bottom of the net on a basketball goal. At 5'11" as I understand it my "hops" are very sub-par... ;)

I could do 25 chin ups (Proper chin-ups), I always maxed out the strength side of the PT test(s). I could climb a 100' rope. Jumping, I could barely get off my toes...

Good Morning all...

Ouch on me... I have never been athletically inclined though I could do some things different ways. As an example of my athletic prowess. Even in my best shape in the Army (at Fort Huachuca) I had to have a running go to touch the bottom of the net on a basketball goal. At 5'11" as I understand it my "hops" are very sub-par... ;)

I could do 25 chin ups (Proper chin-ups), I always maxed out the strength side of the PT test(s). I could climb a 100' rope. Jumping, I could barely get off my toes...

Good Morning all...
As my dad used to say about those of us who were not particularly fast, he runs to long in the same spot.

Good Morning D-League. It is a cloudy 73.6°F on our way to 85° with a 30% chance of rain. Early this morning we got a welcomed .57 inches. We could use a couple more inches. My grass is under stress.

@Sawnee Cat you may want to see a professional on that shoulder. Sherry went through that and I think the sooner it gets attention the better; however, you are over 21! :)

I was not much of an athlete. I never started on the high school basketball team. I never started on the high school football team. I never started on the high school baseball team. I did win the region in the 440 yard, but I refused to go to State because I was tired of getting sick from running my guts out. I really pissed my coach off. But being on the team was important. The girl I was crazy about was a cheer leader and the cheer leaders rode the bus to games with the team, so I got to sit with her as long as I could make the team. It was worth it!

I go to the Doctor this afternoon to see what is broken, stretched or ripped in my left leg.

I have been working in the yard and just came in for a bite to eat. We got one of those sudden rain showers too but it will pass as fast as it came.

I picked up 20 bags of red cypress mulch and spread them around. My shoulder feels pretty good and I am glad I have that out of the way. I sprayed roundup in the area last week and it did a good job. I still have more roundup to put down and if it dries up a little this afternoon I might finish it up.

The shoulder feels pretty good after throwing those bags around and maybe the heat and humidity is helping with that. I picked up a shoulder brace and will wear it for awhile to see if it helps. The pain is bearable for now. I honestly think when you get as old as me pain becomes a part of your life to the point you pay as little attention to it as you can. As long as I can keep moving I will be working. If I am able I should say.

I put a nice roast in the crock pot this morning to have later today. My wife should be home next Friday if the planes fly on time so until then I continue to batch.

I feel like Ymmot when I am in the kitchen now. He knows how to feed his belly.

Good Morning D-League. It is a cloudy 73.6°F on our way to 85° with a 30% chance of rain. Early this morning we got a welcomed .57 inches. We could use a couple more inches. My grass is under stress.

@Sawnee Cat you may want to see a professional on that shoulder. Sherry went through that and I think the sooner it gets attention the better; however, you are over 21! :)

I was not much of an athlete. I never started on the high school basketball team. I never started on the high school football team. I never started on the high school baseball team. I did win the region in the 440 yard, but I refused to go to State because I was tired of getting sick from running my guts out. I really pissed my coach off. But being on the team was important. The girl I was crazy about was a cheer leader and the cheer leaders rode the bus to games with the team, so I got to sit with her as long as I could make the team. It was worth it!

I go to the Doctor this afternoon to see what is broken, stretched or ripped in my left leg.
The best to you Bert when you see the doc. I am praying he can treat it conservatively and not have to use the knife. Just get well.

Thanks for your concern, my wife feels the same way you do about me going to the doctor. But it has only been 4 days since I pulled the pot into the pool and ripped my shoulder. It is doing better. Maybe the brace will help.

During my noon walk, I found 23 wheat pennies in an empty lot full of junk. Coins just lying around like someone dropped them. Many appear in great condition.

Sigh. No 1943 steel pennies in the lot.

1943 steel? I'm not prejudiced, I'd have picked them up anyway... ;)

Edit: DANG!!! Going to make me look through my stash now to see what I have. I do remember having some 1943 pennies. I guess a magnet is the way to find out... (I looked up the value...)

Darn you ATX, you got me side-tracked now.... ;) 😅 Me and my Mr. Howell schnoz...

Last edited:
During my noon walk, I found 23 wheat pennies in an empty lot full of junk. Coins just lying around like someone dropped them. Many appear in great condition.

Sigh. No 1943 steel pennies in the lot.

My sister called me up a while ago and talked about spending $30.00 on something that cost that a month. I told her that there would need to be a good amount of food in that price for me to spend $30.00 a month. She acted like it was nothing and I know I am much better off financially than she is. Just took me strange as what she was talking about was frivolous.

Y'all ain't gonna believe this. I just found and carried home a set of golf clubs + bag. As I was walking along, guy says "you see that guy? I'll pay you if you pick up his shit." I said, "man, no, it's okay". Walk further and it appeared some dude pushed along a couple carts with junk inside. Lots of other stuff. Should have got pictures. Below is our dog, Summer, sniffing my latest find.

294329212_10226548832727633_277280521999061965_n.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT