ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

Good morning folks. Hot as Hades in the east. Mostly stuck inside working anyway.

The evenings, when things cool down, are lovely. I've taken to going on long walks after all my work is done.

My weight has been creeping up since I can't run anymore with my bad hip -- and also truthfully because I've been eating like crazy since the COVID WFH days. Also, without doubt my metabolism has slowed just in recent years. I couldn't tell much change all the way to 60.

I'm up to 235 on my 6'5'' frame. I need to get that down to 212-215, which was my college playing weight. I've started with a fairly strict eating regimen. We'll see. Not going to obsess.

I tried to watch a bit of the All-Star game last night, but all the freaking gimmicks -- talking to players on the field, airing conversations between the pitcher and the catcher and the 1st basemen and the runners, having "Big Papi" roam around randomly acting a fool -- really turned me off. Switched back to Law and Order reruns.

Yep Sir,

I am finally back "under 220" in my 5'11" frame. (The Army never would give me 6' so, I am not..) I have my eating in order (again). I did very well for a lot of years at 205 UNTIL this past holiday season (Last Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years.)(Sweets got the better of me ONLY because they were supplied in huge quantities, I did not buy them, but they were left for me to eat and I do not waste food.) (I sure paid the price in months of heaviness.)

The plan is once to 199 just to say I did it, then to stay at 205 or under. I will be thankful with that and they can call me obese if "they" want. (Those same "they" tell me I'd be healthy at 133 pounds.)(I'd actually have been dead a year or two to get to that sickly weight.) I will be very happy at 205 or under.

Rant over again.......................... I am going to clean my garage....

The last time I was in heat like this was at Fort Hood, dust was so deep you would think the soles of our boots were going to melt!!!! Hood was the first place I heard, it's so hot I saw a coyote chasing a Roadrunner and they were both walking!!!!
I never liked the heat, but unfortunately it has been my fate to endure a lot of it.

I worked out in the eastern Utah deserts on a pipeline one year where guys were falling out left and right from heat exhaustion - it was a small inch job and we were "running and stumbling" in pipeline parlance, just to keep up, while wearing heavy denim and khaki shirts and pants and pull-on boots to avoid welding sparks. It got over 110 for a couple weeks straight.

I later went on a number of patrols (as a journalist) in Baghdad in the summer heat - heavy kevlar lid and flak vest. That place was dusty and smelled bad.

But the worst for me was on the equator in Mogadishu in 92-93. 120F, no electricity so no chance to cool off, very limited clean water so we were always dehydrated and I had dysentery for about three months which adds a degree of difficulty to everything. Only time I ever passed out from the heat. I was interviewing some Somalis and talking to a buddy who was a photographer. Next thing I know it was 90 minutes later or so and I was waking up in this filthy, airless villa we rented with the worst headache of my life and no recollection of going down. Apparently I just fell over, to my buddy's amazement.

Last edited:

Afternoon Legionnaires!

107° already here. Cut the grass and did the weed eating as well starting around 0800 and finishing at about 1015.

Cleaned up and took my daughter to Brahms for lunch before we went to Lawton to inspect MIL's house she rents that she has not lived in for about 10 years or so. She moved in with her son but kept paying for the house because of the many, many, cats she has, and she is also a big-time hoarder so, it is totally cluttered. It had been robbed over and over again in the last year and now, it caught fire last night and half of the house is gutted. My daughter could not stand the smell (I have not been able to smell for years) and could not get close to the house. She warned me that along with the cat smell there was also a chemical smell that she could not stand so my inspection was brief.

The two bedrooms were totally destroyed (burned) and the living room was pretty much a wash. Big hole in the side of the house where fire burned through. Garage was mainly untouched but, you could not get in it or through it because of the clutter. Just a total trash heap.

Since she moved in with her son his apartment has become the same way. He says he is moving to Florida at the end of the year and she is supposed to go with but, she told my daughter the other night that she would much rather stay here somewhere in our neighborhood because of the view.

My reply: Hell No! Now, she will not have a house to go back to and I believe she is trying to maneuver her way into our house.

Oh, and the kicker, the owners of the burned house did not have insurance on the house.

Last edited:

Afternoon Legionnaires!

107° already here. Cut the grass and did the weed eating as well starting around 0800 and finishing at about 1015.

Cleaned up and took my daughter to Brahms for lunch before we went to Lawton to inspect MIL's house she rents that she has not lived in for about 10 years or so. She moved in with her son but kept paying for the house because of the many, many, cats she has, and she is also a big-time hoarder so, it is totally cluttered. It had been robbed over and over again in the last year and now, it caught fire last night and half of the house is gutted. My daughter could not stand the smell (I have not been able to smell for years) and could not get close to the house. She warned me that along with the cat smell there was also a chemical smell that she could not stand so my inspection was brief.

The two bedrooms were totally destroyed (burned) and the living room was pretty much a wash. Big hole in the side of the house where fire burned through. Garage was mainly untouched but, you could not get in it or through it because of the clutter. Just a total trash heap.

Since she moved in with her son his apartment has become the same way. He says he is moving to Florida at the end of the year and she is supposed to go with but, she told my daughter the other night that she would much rather stay here somewhere in our neighborhood because of the view.

My reply: Hell No! Now, she will not have a house to go back to and I believe she is trying to maneuver her way into our house.

Oh, and the kicker, the owners of the burned house did not have insurance on the house.
Sounds like you are between a rock and a hard place. Good luck.

Sounds like you are between a rock and a hard place. Good luck.
Yeah but, my wife knows I won't budge. She lived with us for the 6 hottest months out of the year for 2 years because the electricity went out in her house, and she would not call to get it fixed because she was afraid, they would kick her out because of the cats and the clutter. It was too hot, so she stayed with us. After that she would go back because the heat was gas as was the kitchen stove. She used flashlights and lanterns to survive at night. I tried to go over and fix it but, she would not let me in (too embarrassed I guess). Then water pipes busted, and she turned the water off and started buying gallon jugs of water from Walmart. I won't go any further with this because it is just crazy but, it suffices to say that the time she spent with us drove me nuts and my wife knows that won't do.

She has a nice place in Florida if she wants with her ex-husband (who wants her there) and one of her other daughters and granddaughters who can help her when needed.

Yeah but, my wife knows I won't budge. She lived with us for the 6 hottest months out of the year for 2 years because the electricity went out in her house, and she would not call to get it fixed because she was afraid, they would kick her out because of the cats and the clutter. It was too hot, so she stayed with us. After that she would go back because the heat was gas as was the kitchen stove. She used flashlights and lanterns to survive at night. I tried to go over and fix it but, she would not let me in (too embarrassed I guess). Then water pipes busted, and she turned the water off and started buying gallon jugs of water from Walmart. I won't go any further with this because it is just crazy but, it suffices to say that the time she spent with us drove me nuts and my wife knows that won't do.

She has a nice place in Florida if she wants with her ex-husband (who wants her there) and one of her other daughters and granddaughters who can help her when needed.

WC take heart. I have near the same situation with my sister. My brother and his wife (my other sister), have endured the brunt of my sister for a long while but have had sort of a reprieve but it seems to be starting back again with the death of my BIL (My other brother). Being the youngest and due to my sisters two daughters in a sort of falling out with my sister and having nothing to do with her for a while now, my sister has been contacting me lately and regularly.(Not in an enjoyable way.).. We shall see.... God Bless you and your family.

WC take heart. I have near the same situation with my sister. My brother and his wife (my other sister), have endured the brunt of my sister for a long while but have had sort of a reprieve but it seems to be starting back again with the death of my BIL (My other brother). Being the youngest and due to my sisters two daughters in a sort of falling out with my sister and having nothing to do with her for a while now, my sister has been contacting me lately and regularly.(Not in an enjoyable way.).. We shall see.... God Bless you and your family.
Good luck.

What part of Florida?
Ft. Myers I think. Apparently, my wife's sister who lives there with their father is headed here to help her mother clean the house out. Her mother has already ask my wife if she could store what they can salvage in my shop. LOLOLOLOLOL! was my answer. I told her to tell her mother to rent a storage bin because she will no longer have to pay rent and it will be cheaper.

e167cc3bf208380357d7656be067a2a30720e0f2.jpeg

I never liked the heat, but unfortunately it has been my fate to endure a lot of it.

I worked out in the eastern Utah deserts on a pipeline one year where guys were falling out left and right from heat exhaustion - it was a small inch job and we were "running and stumbling" in pipeline parlance, just to keep up, while wearing heavy denim and khaki shirts and pants and pull-on boots to avoid welding sparks. It got over 110 for a couple weeks straight.

I later went on a number of patrols (as a journalist) in Baghdad in the summer heat - heavy kevlar lid and flak vest. That place was dusty and smelled bad.

But the worst for me was on the equator in Mogadishu in 92-93. 120F, no electricity so no chance to cool off, very limited clean water so we were always dehydrated and I had dysentery for about three months which adds a degree of difficulty to everything. Only time I ever passed out from the heat. I was interviewing some Somalis and talking to a buddy who was a photographer. Next thing I know it was 90 minutes later or so and I was waking up in this filthy, airless villa we rented with the worst headache of my life and no recollection of going down. Apparently I just fell over, to my buddy's amazement.
Damn. And thanks.

Good Morning D League

These stories about the heat have me "sweating". You folks have been in some serious infernos. There have been few days in my life I have been in 100° heat and never in Florida to my knowledge. I have always lived near the coast and we get cooling winds. I was born in Clearwater and I don't think they have hit 100° in history but the high 90's° are close. Where I live now has never been 100° but Florida has a different kind of heat. The sun here can be brutal and the humidity will drain every drop of water from your body. You have to stay hydrated. Currently we have 72° and the high will get to 88°. This is our typical summer pattern with afternoon showers about 50%. But the humidity is there and not going anywhere.

Speaking of July and Clearwater, FL I was born on this day in 1943 at Morton Plant Hospital. I was the first person on either side of my family to be born in a hospital. After a short stay mama brought me home and this is my first house as a child. No AC and no screens on the windows. When grandpa turned 21 he got 100 acres from his mother and later bought 50 more next to it. He build this house when he got married, 1907 and my mother was born in it in 1912.

And this is where my journey down life began. This was an old black and white photo I had colorized. As far as I know we didn't have color photos when I was a child. At least my family didn't. I trust all have a wonderful day and keep cool. It is important.

00-VGoiT3Y43HCVi5zFo8RP4qAIx90G3xGFQmQ4UHj7teTLXf2rKoA5gdDA1NNF_IrU5cYdfB3jRoL_VZILaXEufg

Last edited:
Good Morning D League

These stories about the heat have me "sweating". You folks have been in some serious infernos. There have been few days in my life I have been in 100° heat and never in Florida to my knowledge. I have always lived near the coast and we get cooling winds. I was born in Clearwater and I don't think they have hit 100° in history but the high 90's° are close. Where I live now has never been 100° but Florida has a different kind of heat. The sun here can be brutal and the humidity will drain every drop of water from your body. You have to stay hydrated. Currently we have 72° and the high will get to 88°. This is our typical summer pattern with afternoon showers about 50%. But the humidity is there and not going anywhere.

Speaking of July and Clearwater, FL I was born on this day in 1943 at Morton Plant Hospital. I was the first person on either side of my family to be born in a hospital. After a short stay mama brought me home and this is my first house as a child. No AC and no screens on the windows. When grandpa turned 21 he go 100 acres from his mother and later bought 50 more next to it. He build this house when he got married, 1907 and my mother was born in it in 1912.

And this is where my journey down life began. This was an old black and white photo I had colorized. As far as I know we didn't have color photos when I was a child. At least my family didn't. I trust all have a wonderful day and keep cool. It is important.

00-VGoiT3Y43HCVi5zFo8RP4qAIx90G3xGFQmQ4UHj7teTLXf2rKoA5gdDA1NNF_IrU5cYdfB3jRoL_VZILaXEufg

Sir,

A very happy birthday to you. Ouch that you are batching today. God Bless you!

Ft. Myers I think. Apparently, my wife's sister who lives there with their father is headed here to help her mother clean the house out. Her mother has already ask my wife if she could store what they can salvage in my shop. LOLOLOLOLOL! was my answer. I told her to tell her mother to rent a storage bin because she will no longer have to pay rent and it will be cheaper.
Fort Myers is a nice area. Very conservative and laid back lifestyle. Also some very nice beaches. This photo was taken of Fort Myers during a recent thunderstorm.

There was probably more energy in the sky from this lightning than all of the windmills can produce in Texas.

293783257_4844421158996183_2928966259075770425_n.jpg

Fort Myers is a nice area. Very conservative and laid back lifestyle. Also some very nice beaches. This photo was taken of Fort Myers during a recent thunderstorm.

There was probably more energy in the sky from this lightning than all of the windmills can produce in Texas.

Man, Victor should move from Transylvania and start creating more creatures to combat the ones trying to take over this country.

Ought to be a way to harness lightning. (A lot better time spent than the negative power producing windmills.) Watch for the next round of windmills to be funded in an emergency "Biden" (Handlers) XO...........then watch the nearly immediate bankruptcy of that same windmill company... Yeah they will do it again and again, it's only paper... (I'm off the tangent again...)

Good Morning D League

Speaking of July and Clearwater, FL I was born on this day in 1943 at Morton Plant Hospital. I was the first person on either side of my family to be born in a hospital. After a short stay mama brought me home and this is my first house as a child. No AC and no screens on the windows. When grandpa turned 21 he got 100 acres from his mother and later bought 50 more next to it. He build this house when he got married, 1907 and my mother was born in it in 1912.

Happy Birthday Sawnee.

My mother was born in 1912 also. My dad was born in 1902. I was born in my maternal grandparents house which was behind the general store that my dad was running at that time.

Hey folks. Heading out to consult with a surgeon about my bum hip. As I may have mentioned, since I went of this anti-inflammatory drug I have had a lot more mobility, and don't really feel like surgery is necessary, but I understand this is a temporary fix.

Hope you are all have a nice, easy day.

Good morning D, read Mark 9.

.66, that was just a teaser!!!!

Went to my kidney doctor Monday, last year when I went, I could have sworn he told me that my kidneys were clear, no stones, BUT I have a 2mm stone in my left one! I ask the nurse practitioner, I thought he said I was clear of them, let me check his notes, nope right hear it says, 2mm, no bigger than last year. Now what I have to look forward to is, pushing a cocklebur the size of a golf ball through a garden hose!!!!! The LORD says, "This too shall pass!!!!

One of my growing up friends dropped by last night, laughed it up for about an hour about our parents and our good times we had. Our parents had permission to whip our a$$ if we got out of line if we were at their house, plus we'd get it again when we got home from our parents, so we had to be good, or sneaky.

I hope the D has a great day!!!

Happy Birthday SC!!!!
Thank you Cord. I made it to 79. LOL

Speaking of parents, I could never get anything past my mother. Our neighborhood had a networking and if you misbehaved some mother saw it and was on the phone to mama. When my foot hit the first step I could hear, Johnny! Get in here and she would tell me exactly what I had gotten into.

Then I had to cut my own switch and bring it back to her. It better not be a dead branch, it better be a green limb. If not I got daddy's belt when he got home.

Thank you Cord. I made it to 79. LOL

Speaking of parents, I could never get anything past my mother. Our neighborhood had a networking and if you misbehaved some mother saw it and was on the phone to mama. When my foot hit the first step I could hear, Johnny! Get in here and she would tell me exactly what I had gotten into.

Then I had to cut my own switch and bring it back to her. It better not be a dead branch, it better be a green limb. If not I got daddy's belt when he got home.
Same here SC, we had the same network, called BCP, Before Cell Phone!!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT