ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

I had two special treats when I was growing up. One was sugar cane I got out of grandpa's cane field and the second one was an RC and Moon Pie that grandpa kept in the kitchen.

CE7E0746-F0D7-41D0-AC67-7FD0D04C43DA.jpeg

This is a new bottle of RC

293776827_621639562873701_5709427071928926641_n.jpg

For some reason, the following song came to mind after seeing your picture.

Speaking of Nehi, Peach is probably my favorite, but you can't go wrong with any of them.

518TXJ1dLkL._SX425_PIbundle-3,TopRight,0,0_SX425SY439SH20_.jpg
I vote for peach too. Nehi made the best of any company. IMO

When I was growing up a soft drink was a treat. My parents did not buy a six pack or carton and bring them home. If I earned a nickle I would go buy one at the Gulf station where they were kept in a large ice chest outside. Big blocks of ice were used to cool the drinks and there was nothing like reaching your arm down in that melted ice water to pull out your favorite drink. It was 95° but your arm would freeze when it hit that water.

Ice cold for sure. Here is a picture of an old one that is an antique now. I have a wooden Coca Cola ice chest by my pool. When we have a get together I fill it up and ice them down. Just like the old days.

R.d0659bc7b9a7079af90e9eef1fc4f656

Good morning from ATX. Currently 76°F and mostly cloudy. Today's high expected around 99°F.

Stepson decided on adopting Blue. His 6 year-old daughter fell in love with the pup and renamed him Oliver. Got his shots yesterday.

Must take our pup to vet later today for blood test and consultation. She threw up last night. Always something with our furry friends.

49 days until Kentucky football. :cool:

Wishing happiness and health for all our fellow D-League members.

befunky-design11.jpg

Good morning from ATX. Currently 76°F and mostly cloudy. Today's high expected around 99°F.

Stepson decided on adopting Blue. His 6 year-old daughter fell in love with the pup and renamed him Oliver. Got his shots yesterday.

Must take our pup to vet later today for blood test and consultation. She threw up last night. Always something with our furry friends.

49 days until Kentucky football. :cool:

Wishing happiness and health for all our fellow D-League members.

befunky-design11.jpg
Thought you might want to read this article. I know your pup has had trouble from the beginning and you have been to the vet many times, so I'm not trying to override your vet. Just thought it might interest you.

It is 76.8°F and sunny and we are to get to 94°. 10% chance of rain.

I used to drink RC but my folks were Coke people. I would only get RC if I bought them out of a machine.

The most unique thing about NEHI in our little town of Park City was a little ice cream shop and we used to get "purple cows". It was ice cream, grape NEHI blended together. My sister and I loved them. In the early 60's the little shop was removed and they built the Post Office on that lot.

Enjoy you Saturday.

I vote for peach too. Nehi made the best of any company. IMO

When I was growing up a soft drink was a treat. My parents did not buy a six pack or carton and bring them home. If I earned a nickle I would go buy one at the Gulf station where they were kept in a large ice chest outside. Big blocks of ice were used to cool the drinks and there was nothing like reaching your arm down in that melted ice water to pull out your favorite drink. It was 95° but your arm would freeze when it hit that water.

Ice cold for sure. Here is a picture of an old one that is an antique now. I have a wooden Coca Cola ice chest by my pool. When we have a get together I fill it up and ice them down. Just like the old days.

R.d0659bc7b9a7079af90e9eef1fc4f656
Good to see how you keep your shed in order.

Howdy folks. Just catching up. Great photos of your granddaughter Sawnee. Man, you must be so proud of her.

Not too much progress to report in my so-far one sided fight with COVID. Spasmodic coughing is the worst of it right now, along with about every other symptom of the flu. Not in any way dangerously sick. But still sick.

My wife said something interesting to me today. We met in 1985, and have been paired up for nearly 30 years. And she said, “This is the first time I’ve ever seen you sick.”

Its true. The only times I remember being sick since high school were 1990 in Baghdad, 92-93 in Somalia, 94 in Rwanda and the same year in Haiti and 01 in Afghanistan. And I had always recovered by the time I made it home.
Pisses me off to lose that home winning streak to this Chinese gunk.
MdW, I think I'd have gotten sick in those places too.

Good late morning all,

Made a pan of biscuits with coffee....

Saw this article, read it and thought I'd share it. Have a great day...Saturday morning coming down ..😏

[laughing]

I believe it.

Previously Captain Kristofferson, former UH-1 pilot and Ranger school grad. He ditched a promising US Army career for entertainment. Follow your dreams, right?

[laughing]

I believe it.

Previously Captain Kristofferson, former UH-1 pilot and Ranger school grad. He ditched a promising US Army career for entertainment. Follow your dreams, right?
When I was in Viet Nam they were begging for chopper pilots. One day they had a notice on the bulletin board asking for people. I met all the qualifications except I would have had to re-up to meet the time left in service part. As an nco, you'd become a warrant officer and go to a 9 month school. They went through a lot of choppers and chopper pilots over there. There was a chopper graveyard at DaNang where they piled up choppers that had been shot down and recovered. I thought long and hard, but I wasn't that brave and I was due to be discharged as soon as I got home. I was ready to be done with it.

As a btw, there was a regular run between where I was at and DaNang where they took guys to be processed to leave the country. I left on one of those choppers. The chopper that made that run the day before I left was shot down and everyone on it died. That's just one of a dozen things that makes a guy feel guilty. You know, the "why me thing" like in the Kristopherson song.

When I was in Viet Nam they were begging for chopper pilots. One day they had a notice on the bulletin board asking for people. I met all the qualifications except I would have had to re-up to meet the time left in service part. As an nco, you'd become a warrant officer and go to a 9 month school. They went through a lot of choppers and chopper pilots over there. There was a chopper graveyard at DaNang where they piled up choppers that had been shot down and recovered. I thought long and hard, but I wasn't that brave and I was due to be discharged as soon as I got home. I was ready to be done with it.

As a btw, there was a regular run between where I was at and DaNang where they took guys to be processed to leave the country. I left on one of those choppers. The chopper that made that run the day before I left was shot down and everyone on it died. That's just one of a dozen things that makes a guy feel guilty. You know, the "why me thing" like in the Kristopherson song.

The first I remember Kris is when I saw him in the movie with Barbara S. (I love her songs but she is and was a Schmidt show. By association I didn't think much of Kris at the time but his body of work and his tremendous life accomplishments overweighed my near-sightedness... I stand corrected...

🇺🇸🤩

Good morning D

I trust all are well and those who need a lift in spirits are feeling better each day.

For you military folks I will bring you up to date on my granddaughter's progress at the Academy. She has only been allowed one phone call since her appointment and will get one more after her physical training is complete. But the AF Academy has a nice feature for parents. They have a "Web Guy" and he posts 100's of photos of the training and parents can keep in touch that way. Yesterday he posted 22 that had our granddaughter in them and I will share a few.

She is right handed but this picture shows her shooting left handed. Another one has her shooting right handed. I had no idea she could do that.

293652425_1995641064158308_2378913506913747293_n.jpg

293649759_1995641440824937_6617179275960431082_n.jpg

293513884_1995641614158253_5306700790027033546_n.jpg

293445968_1995641790824902_3372843157108518930_n.jpg

00-VGoiT3Y43HCVi5zFo8RP4qAIx90G3xGFQmQ4UHj7teQCMA5SbgamJ3jnnE_svmfjV7ntXQOewWgszVPDOQPWWw

You go girl, you got this.
Did you let her know that the whole D-league is pulling for her?

Did you let her know that the whole D-league is pulling for her?
Thanks awf. Unfortunately she can not communicate during this time except for one phone call she made right before the march to Jacks Valley. And that phone call is only to parents or guardians. She will not have her cell phone for quite awhile.

She can receive letters but they must be hand written and on white paper with black ink. No cards or typing. I have no idea about the reasoning behind this but it is Academy rules. I have written a few letters and did mention she has people pulling for her she has never met and probably never will meet. With prayers and good wishes. Thanks for your support because this Kentucky girl is giving it 100% and keeping a smile in some of the most strenuous tests a woman can go through.

Man, I bought a 24 pack of Michelob Ultra's this go-round. Have two left after just guzzling one. I think I will finish those off this evening in short order. I was disappointed to state the least. Not like I remember them...

I will look around but think Yuengling is calling again. Whenever I get around to buying any.

I grew up a big Stan Musial fan. Was reading an obit on him today. It was mentioned in his obit about his score in the hall of fame monitor developed by Bill James, the father of sabermetrics. It takes various stats and determines the likelihood a player will make the hall of fame. 130 is considered a lock. Stan scored 540, by far the largest score ever.
Stan was known for always being happy. Bob Gibson said Stan thought this was the best of all possible worlds. One day the team plane had engine trouble and everyone on the plane was scared, except Stan. He joked, "I can see the headlines now. Cardinals plane crashes and everyone dies except Musial."

Man, I bought a 24 pack of Michelob Ultra's this go-round. Have two left after just guzzling one. I think I will finish those off this evening in short order. I was disappointed to state the least. Not like I remember them...

I will look around but think Yuengling is calling again. Whenever I get around to buying any.
Cuz drinks Michelob Ultra and swears by it. He formerly drank Bud until his doctor told him to switch, believe it or not. Cuz somehow got Hep C. Hence doctor recommendation. Sounds crazy, I know.

I actually enjoyed the heck out of a 24 oz Yuengling at his place last Saturday night on Nolin Lake. Purchased at Chuck's near Smokey Pig. @Bert Higginbotha knows where I'm talking about. It was great. We also ate some wild turkey he shot earlier this year. Excellent.

Loved flying. Most of my exposure came at Fort Campbell / MFO-Sinai 1981-83 and again Iraq 2005-2006. In Iraq, we came under fire several times. There were times I flew 4-5 times daily out of Balad AB.

I tried once for Warrant Officer Candidate aviation training in 1983. Failed due to eyesight. Took two vision tests, if I recall. Eyesight apparently good enough for infantry and air defense artillery, but not WOC. Army was fairly strict back then.

I grew up a big Stan Musial fan. Was reading an obit on him today. It was mentioned in his obit about his score in the hall of fame monitor developed by Bill James, the father of sabermetrics. It takes various stats and determines the likelihood a player will make the hall of fame. 130 is considered a lock. Stan scored 540, by far the largest score ever.
Stan was known for always being happy. Bob Gibson said Stan thought this was the best of all possible worlds. One day the team plane had engine trouble and everyone on the plane was scared, except Stan. He joked, "I can see the headlines now. Cardinals plane crashes and everyone dies except Musial."

I heard a slightly different Musial story about a plane. When ESPN did their sportscentury series in the late 90s about the top 100 athletes of the 20th century...when they did the Musial one, teammates talked about being nervous about a flight because Musial wasn't on the flight for some reason, no Musial made them more nervous of an accident. Same meaning as your story, Musial was protected.

Cuz drinks Michelob Ultra and swears by it. He formerly drank Bud until his doctor told him to switch, believe it or not. Cuz somehow got Hep C. Hence doctor recommendation. Sounds crazy, I know.

I actually enjoyed the heck out of a 24 oz Yuengling at his place last Saturday night on Nolin Lake. Purchased at Chuck's near Smokey Pig. @Bert Higginbotha knows where I'm talking about. It was great. We also ate some wild turkey he shot earlier this year. Excellent.

Yeah, I got the taste for Yuengling at the Staybridge Inn and Suites in Charleston where I stayed for over two months and the hotel had on tap, when My Darling and I arrived back from three years in Korea. We met a couple there and he and I hit it off and broke the joint in the couple months we were together. (We later bought houses right around the corner from each other and we spent some time with them when we went back recently.) (He drank a ton more than I did back then but now he is about 100% dry and I am thankful for him as he was over the top.)

I just thought I'd try something else this go round. (I liked Michelob Dark and drank that a lot in my younger days but, back then I drank most anything and was thankful though Michelob is a decent beer.) Heck I liked Ole Busch beer when there was nothing else or it was all I could afford. ;) That is some rock gut beer to my memory. Concocted a headache several times drinking that stuff... ;)

My Brother still drinks Budweiser in the can. Rough and tough beer for sure but that is about what he's always drank...

Last edited:
I heard a slightly different Musial story about a plane. When ESPN did their sportscentury series in the late 90s about the top 100 athletes of the 20th century...when they did the Musial one, teammates talked about being nervous about a flight because Musial wasn't on the flight for some reason, no Musial made them more nervous of an accident. Same meaning as your story, Musial was protected.
Something I read today. Albert Puhols played his first MLB game at Coors Field in 2001.guess who threw the honorary first pitch that day? Yep! Stan.

Also Stan's last base hit was a ground ball single past second baseman Pete Rose.

Also the day Stan was inducted to the HOF was rainy and overcast. Right before Stans turn came, the clouds parted and the sun came out.

Yeah, I got the taste for Yuengling at the Staybridge Inn and Suites in Charleston where I stayed for over two months and the hotel had on tap, when My Darling and I arrived back from three years in Korea. We met a couple there and he and I hit it off and broke the joint in the couple months we were together. (We later bought houses right around the corner from each other and we spent some time with them when we went back recently.) (He drank a ton more than I did back then but now he is about 100% dry and I am thankful for him as he was over the top.)

I just thought I'd try something else this go round. (I liked Michelob Dark and drank that a lot in my younger days but, back then I drank most anything and was thankful though Michelob is a decent beer.) Heck I liked Ole Busch beer when there was nothing else or it was all I could afford. ;) That is some rock gut beer to my memory. Concocted a headache several times drinking that stuff... ;)

My Brother still drinks Budweiser in the can. Rough and tough beer for sure but that is about what he's always drank...
Talking about Busch beer. Busch Stadium was and is the Cardinals home. Originally August Busch wanted to name it Budweiser Field, but the commissioner said no beer names. August Busch got the last laugh though by naming the new stadium after himself.

Something I read today. Albert Puhols played his first MLB game at Coors Field in 2001.guess who threw the honorary first pitch that day? Yep! Stan.

Also Stan's last base hit was a ground ball single past second baseman Pete Rose.

Also the day Stan was inducted to the HOF was rainy and overcast. Right before Sam's urn cam, the clouds parted and the sun came out.

Cool stuff. I love history...sports history, political, military...everything. Have a couple of books on Stan and a book on the 1964 Cardinals. My Dad has a lot of Musial, Gibson, Brock, Boyer etc stories. My introduction to the Cards as a little kid were Ozzie, Willie McGee, Vince Coleman, Tommy Herr, Terry Pendleton, Jack Clark, Bob Forsch, John Tudor...

Cool stuff. I love history...sports history, political, military...everything. Have a couple of books on Stan and a book on the 1964 Cardinals. My Dad has a lot of Musial, Gibson, Brock, Boyer etc stories. My introduction to the Cards as a little kid were Ozzie, Willie McGee, Vince Coleman, Tommy Herr, Terry Pendleton, Jack Clark, Bob Forsch, John Tudor...
The Wizard is my #2 favorite.

Ah, Stringbean from Jackson County, KY. My wife had kinfolks from there and they knew him and a several other Akemans in that area. The old time clawhammer style is a one of my favorite musical sounds and was prominent and common back in those Kentucky hills. I had the pleasure of seeing him in person several times and when he was robbed and murdered my blood boiled over. What animal would kill a good, harmless man like David Akeman and his wife. Sad.

My daddy was from Pike Co and grew up with a clawhammer style banjo picker, Molly O'Day. They sang together in church. She toured with Hank Williams and was the top female country singer in Nashville but gave it all up and walked off the stage and never recorded another secular song. She became an evangelist and gospel singer teaming with her husband Lynn Davis. I saw her many times at church and also visited the family up Homemade Holler. She had a couple of nieces that were "knockout" beautiful.

The bright lights of the big city and national fame were not what her heart desired. She was a mountain girl with strong religious convictions and turned her back on the world stage and just walked away.

Ah, Stringbean from Jackson County, KY. My wife had kinfolks from there and they knew him and a several other Akemans in that area. The old time clawhammer style is a one of my favorite musical sounds and was prominent and common back in those Kentucky hills. I had the pleasure of seeing him in person several times and when he was robbed and murdered my blood boiled over. What animal would kill a good, harmless man like David Akeman and his wife. Sad.

My daddy was from Pike Co and grew up with a clawhammer style banjo picker, Molly O'Day. They sang together in church. She toured with Hank Williams and was the top female country singer in Nashville but gave it all up and walked off the stage and never recorded another secular song. She became an evangelist and gospel singer teaming with her husband Lynn Davis. I saw her many times at church and also visited the family up Homemade Holler. She had a couple of nieces that were "knockout" beautiful.

The bright lights of the big city and national fame were not what her heart desired. She was a mountain girl with strong religious convictions and turned her back on the world stage and just walked away.

Was reading a newspaper account of Stringbean's death after he was brought up in this thread. He and his wife were returning from a night at the Grand Ole Opry when he saw lights on in their house. He had a 22 pistol on him, so he told his wife to wait outside, drew his pistol and entered. A shootout ensued in which he died. His wife tried to run, but they chased her down and shot her in the back of the head.

He and his wife distrusted banks, so it was speculated he had a lot of money in the house. The killers found no money in the house, but both Stringbean and his wife had a couple of thousand dollars on them, which was stolen.

Good morning D

Well put me on the injured reserve list. Yesterday I was washing down the deck around my pool and dragging a garden hose. The hose knocked over a heavy and large planter and it went straight to the bottom of the pool. I jumped in, clothes and all, and attempted to lift it out.

Something popped in my left shoulder and I immediately had excruciating pain and limited use of my left arm. My wife has been out of state for 3 weeks and I am alone but I did manage to get the pot out of the pool. Not before spilling dirt, now mud, into the water. Today I will attempt to clean up the mess.

Meanwhile I am typing with my right hand and hurting like crazy but I will survive. It is the price for living a long life. Take care all and stay cool.

This was the culprit

00-VGoiT3Y43HCVi5zFo8RP4qAIx90G3xGFQmQ4UHj7teTQYdJ46OEuTPA1lEcN4Q1RqCe7ffHDJpwno-pEcjtJnw

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT