ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

On the D-Day thing; we went shopping in Bowling Green yesterday. When we left I saw what I though was a B-17 on the down-wind leg of landing. We drove off and as I went down Lover's Lane I say him on final. He was less than a 1/2 mile away.

It was the first time I ever saw a real B-17, in flight, in my life. Of course you can't believe your lying eyes but today there was an article about a bunch of ventage planes in Bowling Green. My old 76 year old eyes did not let me down.

On D-Day: in Smiths Grove I have a distant cousin named Leon Tarter. He is a D-Day vet and is still alive. Also one of my favored cousins-in-law was Bill Sittley. This is boring but this is my story of him on Ancestry. It has been authorized by his wife:

Bill Sittley was one of my heros growing up.

Bill married my mothers cousin Evelyn Minyard. Evelyn Minyard was the daughter of Mazilla Cook. Aunt “Zillie’s” husband Shobe Minyard died in 1941 and Aunt Zillie lived with Bill and Evelyn in Louisville, KY after they were married until her death in 1979. Several times a year Bill and Evelyn would come to the country to see the extended family. My grandmother Sarah Jane Cook Elmore, Mazilla’s sister, lived next door to my parents. Because of these frequent trips I got to know Bill Sittley quite well.

Bill was an Army veteran of both World War II and Korea. He was one of the few World War II veterans that I knew who would actually talk about the war. Bill’s record was exemplary. He landed on Omaha beach on June 6, 1944 (D-Day) in Normandy France. He was one of three from his “Higgins” boat that survived the landing. Bill was shot twice before he found cover. He had a perfect 8mm scar on the front of his knee and a star shaped scar where the bullet exited. Additionally he was shot through the hand.

All of his Army buddies told him he had a “million dollar” wound (a “million dollar” wound is one that you survive but get sent back to the United States. He was hauled back to a ship for medical treatment and in just a few weeks instead of being sent back to the U.S. he was sent back to his unit fighting the Germans in the French hedgerow country in Normandy.

After rejoining his unit Bill was waking besides one of the infamous hedgerows where he encountered a German who, out of ammunition, ambushed Bill by hitting him in the head with the butt of his rifle. Bill allegedly killed the German but Bill always said that he did not remember anything after the rifle butt hit his jaw.

Again Bill’s Army buddies told him that he had a “million dollar” wound. Bill was again taken back to receive medical treatment for his jaw that was broken in two different places and several teeth missing. The medics wired his jaw shut and for 6 weeks Bill was on a liquid diet. But he was not sent back to the U.S. Instead after his jaw healed he was sent to Belgium for a little R&R. It was generally assumed that Belgium would be a quite place for units that had been beat up pretty badly to recuperate. So Bill got to enjoy some R and R for a few weeks.

Bill was feeling really good about Belgium until Hitler ordered the last great offensive of World War II in what would become known as the “Battle of the Bulge”. And there in the middle of it all was Bill Sittley, the GI who had already received two “million dollar” wounds but was still in Europe instead of the U.S. But Bill survived the “Battle of the Bulge” without being wounded. He just camped out in the snow and fought the Germans.

Bill’s last wound in World War II came in Germany when Bill (and this is his quote) ‘fell off a mountain’ and got part of a limb stuck in his upper leg. (He got drunk on Hitler's booze.)

Bill Sittley was one of those special people who never had a down day. Bill awoke every morning happy and in a good mood. His stories about World War II and Korea were funny stories. He laughed at how close he came to death and still survived. He would tell funny stories about the characters in his Army units. In other words Bill was just a joy to be around. His wife Evelyn states that until his death Bill Sittley was one of the very positive types.

I suppose after his experiences in France, Belgium, Germany and Korea he was just grateful to be alive and remained happy to the end.

Below is the data from the “U.S. Veterans Gravesites”. The U.S. saluted for his selfless service to the nation by allowing him to be buried in a special place for heros.

U.S. Veterans Gravesites, ca.1775-2006

Name: William Francis Sittley
Service Info.: WOJG US ARMY WORLD WAR II, KOREA
Birth Date: 17 Sep 1919
Death Date: 27 May 2001
Service Start Date: 1 Feb 1941
Interment Date: 4 Jun 2001
Cemetery: Florida National Cemetery
Cemetery Address: 6502 SW. 102nd Ave. Bushnell, FL 33513
Buried At: Section 411 Site 1074

It has changed. (That is why I verified it with a picture.) I sent my Mom half my salary part of when I was in and took home a little over $200.00. The picture I just posted was an E-7 with 14 years in. Times have changed. I know soldiers are considered 24/7 but even that is suspect now except in times of war.

I haven't even touched the medical and dental aspect. Not a bad salary... PLUS he has the option for retirement matching from the government (TSP)
It sure has changed. I think I went into the Army on about $65 a month. After Armor Training I think I went up to $85 or so. Then they sent me to the NCO Academy and later Drill Sgt School and I got over the $100 hump. I became an E5 after 9 months in the Army with a graduation from DI school. I got married after 9 months in the service and if I recall correctly I may have received another $25 or $30 a month. After two years I was discharged at about $130 or so a month.

My granddaughter will receive a percentage of a 2nd Lt's pay when she starts the Air Force Academy. In addition to the full scholarship of a Cadet. I bet that is way more than I made at discharge.:D

I think I agreed Sir. A 20 year Army and Iraq vet is not today's young person.

I just desire that today's young people acted the part and portrayed the virtuous manly art of being a man more versus deferring. (May be hollywood portrayal but since I don't watch many movies now if any I cannot use that as an excuse for what I stated.) What I stated, I have seen. (Words mean things. I posted my words carefully.)

Also to caveat today's military. (I saw the pay stub (LES) of an E-7 with 14 years service just yesterday. It equated to 99k ANNUALLY. No way can that not be construed as a competitive job in today's economy.

A whole lot different than what I ever made annually in the military. Need to compare apples to apples in today's terms. Yep it is an all volunteer force but the compensation has sure changed too.

Edit:

To give credence to what I stated in this post. This is a two week LES and to also magnify the BAH is tax free.

285465143_5721341701212696_6229890048516090730_n.jpg
You have to factor in the time spent away and the hours at work too while active. Many today that are in that rank range and years in the Army have been deployed many times and have spent a great deal of time away from home and in combat zones. Combat arms units definitely earn it. Then when retired they only get half of the basic pay and not half of everything they make while in. I am glad that the pay has gone up because with the hours worked they/we were not compensated near enough.

A little sign I passed by yesterday while day tripping. I have no idea why Levy County Ordinance 75-5 forbids me from shooting from the road and there wasn't anybody to ask.

00-VGoiT3Y43HCVi5zFo8RP4qAIx90G3xGFQmQ4UHj7teQvkaRljRgWw0oNjR_nyxNW
Animal behavior. When confused with an ignore, flight or fight decision they often freeze to not attract attention of a predator. Poaching, unlawful shooting of wild animals, can happen anywhere anytime and criminals with guns is always the real problem. Now I'm sure your not either and like the truth. There's always possums to run down.​

Last edited:
It is 72.7°F here and overcast. I had no internet yesterday. I reported it, spent 30 minutes on the phone with a tech unplugging the equipment and nothing worked. Then last night we had a large electric storm, lights went out for 50 minutes got 3.3 inches of rain. Low and behold this morning the modem is working. Go figure.

Paid $4.439 for gas at Sam's club. Lets go Brandon.
$4.99 here. The guy working the backhoe for our sewer reroute said he paid $6.36 on Nolin Lake. Didn't realize gas on the lake was that much more expensive.

$4.99 here. The guy working the backhoe for our sewer reroute said he paid $6.36 on Nolin Lake. Didn't realize gas on the lake was that much more expensive.
Yeah, for a couple reasons. Many of the old gas station owners sold out. For example, Ralph's in Anneta near Nolin Lake was not too pricey through the years, but started charging a premium under new ownership after Ralph passed away. Like all the other nearby area convenience stores, some folks from India bought out his business from his kids after he died. Stations closer to the lake get away with it because folks will pay more when they want to take their boats out or running late for work.

No doubt that was a great generation worthy of our eternal respect.

But I was around a lot of young soldiers and Marines in Iraq and Afghanistan who I believe would have stood up to what it takes. And I think my college kid son and some of his buddies who were high school and AAU basketball teammates could show the right stuff if called upon.

Who were those kids who land seeed on Normandy? Farm boys and factory workers who had no interest in dying in France or even in just enduring army life but who stepped up because they thought it was the right thing to do -- or because of family or societal pressure. Studies have shown that very few members of a combat platoon in WW2 ever even fired a weapon much less behaved like Audie Murphy. They just tried to survive. But enough of them did enough to win the war.

Just my possibly optimistic take. There will always be a few heroes and enough others willing to at least do their duty.
Every generation has it share of people willing to fight, it's just that the number gets fewer by the year. Also those currently in the military would undoubtedly serve as proudly as those in WW2 or any previous war, but how would those on the street serve if they were subject to a modern draft? Personally, I wouldn't feel confident in these Antifa members doing the right thing, and fighting the Russians/Chinese. So, It's not those in uniform I worry about.

zqv29vk07r771.jpg

Every generation has it share of people willing to fight, it's just that the number gets fewer by the year. Also those currently in the military would undoubtedly serve as proudly as those in WW2 or any previous war, but how would those on the street serve if they were subject to a modern draft? Personally, I wouldn't feel confident in these Antifa members doing the right thing, and fighting the Russians/Chinese. So, It's not those in uniform I worry about.

zqv29vk07r771.jpg
None of those guys/gals look like my veteran son.

Actually, pretty spot on. Did some reading about Nam where many soldiers admitted to not taking a bead on the enemy but kept their heads down with their rifles up pointed in the direction of the enemy and just kept their fingers on the trigger until out of bullets then, reloaded. Also saw some footage where units saturated the jungle with bullets where they thought the enemy was or where they saw some movement.
I've heard many Nam stories from guys I worked with over the years. Most were obvious bullshit stories, but some guys, those guys that didn't talk about it every waking moment, had the true stories to tell. First, no 2 guys had the same experience. Second, the guys I talked to said the guy walking point carried a 12 gauge Mossberg and when they encountered enemy, both would raise their rifles and fire back over their shoulders as they ran for cover. Never heard a story of, "we have to have this particular hill, today"!
It is 72.7°F here and overcast. I had no internet yesterday. I reported it, spent 30 minutes on the phone with a tech unplugging the equipment and nothing worked. Then last night we had a large electric storm, lights went out for 50 minutes got 3.3 inches of rain. Low and behold this morning the modem is working. Go figure.

Paid $4.439 for gas at Sam's club. Lets go Brandon.
We had that same system roll through yesterday. I was amazed at the amount of rain that fell in a short time. Had to be close to 2 inches here in less than an hour.
a FaceBook funny:

286446191_6015929948423924_2130673940350327800_n.jpg
No need to be bovinistic Bert! You have no idea as to how that cow identifies.
Animal behavior. When confused with an ignore, flight or fight decision they often freeze to not attract attention of a predator. Poaching, unlawful shooting of wild animals, can happen anywhere anytime and criminals with guns is always the real problem. Now I'm sure your not either and like the truth. There's always possums to run down.​
Exactly. The deer see vehicles go by all day and none of them ever give chase. Deer writes it off. Jack leg hops out with a 30.06 and shoots him. No sport, no chance, no gun.

I see turkeys all the time at the golf course. They'll just walk around like they don't give a shit, if you drive up in a golf cart. I've told several of the great white hunters up there that, if you dress like a bush and the turkey sees a bush move, they leave because they know that ain't right. If you dress like a golfer, they won't know that's a 12 gauge and not a 5 iron.

Let's discuss your possum phobia. Did you have an incident as a child?

Last edited:

zqv29vk07r771.jpg
LOL. Well, every military needs its percentage of REMFs.
That rogue's gallery brings new meaning to the phrase "in the rear with the gear." In whose rear with what gear I don't even want to think about.

Well, I have two games tonight at the softball fields starting at 1930 for the first one. Had me a light dinner just now (peanut butter and honey on toast) and the dessert was a small chocolate sundae cone (homage to Austin's national food day). Don't eat much before game time. Does not sit well if I have to run. Will be leaving shortly to ice down the beer and get there early. Need the extra time to warm up at my age.

Well, I have two games tonight at the softball fields starting at 1930 for the first one. Had me a light dinner just now (peanut butter and honey on toast) and the desert was a small chocolate sundae cone (homage to Austin's national food day). Don't eat much before game time. Does not sit well if I have to run. Will be leaving shortly to ice down the beer and get there early. Need the extra time to warm up at my age.

Bless you, I sure enjoyed playing and probably would again if I could find a league.

Well, I have two games tonight at the softball fields starting at 1930 for the first one. Had me a light dinner just now (peanut butter and honey on toast) and the dessert was a small chocolate sundae cone (homage to Austin's national food day). Don't eat much before game time. Does not sit well if I have to run. Will be leaving shortly to ice down the beer and get there early. Need the extra time to warm up at my age.
Enjoy yourself.

Dude, do a shot of bourbon and chase it with the first beer. The others will start to go down like dominoes. Good job on eating light before drinking. Stomach is only so big after all. Wish I could be drinking with ya! Squish a can for me!

Last edited:
Good morning from ATX. Currently 78°F and cloudy. High today expected around 102°F. Triple-digit heat continues and summer has not officially begun. Go figure.

Received first central heat and AC bid yesterday from Sears Home services. $12,600. Three more bids expected. Price is not surprising.

Pup's liver enzyme's are a little high. Picking her up some pills soon. Hope she's with us for a little while longer.

24th wedding anniversary today.

Happy Hump Day.

Wishing happiness and health for all our fellow D-League members.

June%2B8%2BHoliday.jpg

My people, pick her Leroy

On the D-Day thing; we went shopping in Bowling Green yesterday. When we left I saw what I though was a B-17 on the down-wind leg of landing. We drove off and as I went down Lover's Lane I say him on final. He was less than a 1/2 mile away.

It was the first time I ever saw a real B-17, in flight, in my life. Of course you can't believe your lying eyes but today there was an article about a bunch of ventage planes in Bowling Green. My old 76 year old eyes did not let me down.

On D-Day: in Smiths Grove I have a distant cousin named Leon Tarter. He is a D-Day vet and is still alive. Also one of my favored cousins-in-law was Bill Sittley. This is boring but this is my story of him on Ancestry. It has been authorized by his wife:

Bill Sittley was one of my heros growing up.

Bill married my mothers cousin Evelyn Minyard. Evelyn Minyard was the daughter of Mazilla Cook. Aunt “Zillie’s” husband Shobe Minyard died in 1941 and Aunt Zillie lived with Bill and Evelyn in Louisville, KY after they were married until her death in 1979. Several times a year Bill and Evelyn would come to the country to see the extended family. My grandmother Sarah Jane Cook Elmore, Mazilla’s sister, lived next door to my parents. Because of these frequent trips I got to know Bill Sittley quite well.

Bill was an Army veteran of both World War II and Korea. He was one of the few World War II veterans that I knew who would actually talk about the war. Bill’s record was exemplary. He landed on Omaha beach on June 6, 1944 (D-Day) in Normandy France. He was one of three from his “Higgins” boat that survived the landing. Bill was shot twice before he found cover. He had a perfect 8mm scar on the front of his knee and a star shaped scar where the bullet exited. Additionally he was shot through the hand.

All of his Army buddies told him he had a “million dollar” wound (a “million dollar” wound is one that you survive but get sent back to the United States. He was hauled back to a ship for medical treatment and in just a few weeks instead of being sent back to the U.S. he was sent back to his unit fighting the Germans in the French hedgerow country in Normandy.

After rejoining his unit Bill was waking besides one of the infamous hedgerows where he encountered a German who, out of ammunition, ambushed Bill by hitting him in the head with the butt of his rifle. Bill allegedly killed the German but Bill always said that he did not remember anything after the rifle butt hit his jaw.

Again Bill’s Army buddies told him that he had a “million dollar” wound. Bill was again taken back to receive medical treatment for his jaw that was broken in two different places and several teeth missing. The medics wired his jaw shut and for 6 weeks Bill was on a liquid diet. But he was not sent back to the U.S. Instead after his jaw healed he was sent to Belgium for a little R&R. It was generally assumed that Belgium would be a quite place for units that had been beat up pretty badly to recuperate. So Bill got to enjoy some R and R for a few weeks.

Bill was feeling really good about Belgium until Hitler ordered the last great offensive of World War II in what would become known as the “Battle of the Bulge”. And there in the middle of it all was Bill Sittley, the GI who had already received two “million dollar” wounds but was still in Europe instead of the U.S. But Bill survived the “Battle of the Bulge” without being wounded. He just camped out in the snow and fought the Germans.

Bill’s last wound in World War II came in Germany when Bill (and this is his quote) ‘fell off a mountain’ and got part of a limb stuck in his upper leg. (He got drunk on Hitler's booze.)

Bill Sittley was one of those special people who never had a down day. Bill awoke every morning happy and in a good mood. His stories about World War II and Korea were funny stories. He laughed at how close he came to death and still survived. He would tell funny stories about the characters in his Army units. In other words Bill was just a joy to be around. His wife Evelyn states that until his death Bill Sittley was one of the very positive types.

I suppose after his experiences in France, Belgium, Germany and Korea he was just grateful to be alive and remained happy to the end.

Below is the data from the “U.S. Veterans Gravesites”. The U.S. saluted for his selfless service to the nation by allowing him to be buried in a special place for heros.

U.S. Veterans Gravesites, ca.1775-2006

Name: William Francis Sittley
Service Info.: WOJG US ARMY WORLD WAR II, KOREA
Birth Date: 17 Sep 1919
Death Date: 27 May 2001
Service Start Date: 1 Feb 1941
Interment Date: 4 Jun 2001
Cemetery: Florida National Cemetery
Cemetery Address: 6502 SW. 102nd Ave. Bushnell, FL 33513
Buried At: Section 411 Site 1074
Bert I was over in Bushnell a few weeks ago. I have a few relatives buried at Florida National. I am going to copy this, keep it on hand and visit his grave. The cemetery is right off of I-75.

Thanks for posting. Information like this is why I love the D League. We keep it real over here.

Question for you guys that were drill instructors! One guy failed inspection, so the DI said he didn't want a pig living in his house. He made the guy take his bunk and foot locker outside and spend the night. You guys ever do that or something else interesting?
We had a "Hog Platoon" set up for our "obese trainees". Back then if you could walk straight you got drafted and that included all shapes and sizes.

I was in charge of the Company's Hog Platoon during training and one thing I set up was before each mess I made the fat boys do the Daily Dozen and run a mile. Then they could eat. It worked. They would puke their guts out and the pounds rolled off.

The list is long for what we did back then. I am not sure today's Army would allow 75% of it. But our objective was to make these boys into men because within a few months they would be thick in the rice patties of Vietnam and would thank us because they were prepared.

Good morning from ATX. Currently 78°F and cloudy. High today expected around 102°F. Triple-digit heat continues and summer has not officially begun. Go figure.

Received first central heat and AC bid yesterday from Sears Home services. $12,600. Three more bids expected. Price is not surprising.

Pup's liver enzyme's are a little high. Picking her up some pills soon. Hope she's with us for a little while longer.

Happy Hump Day.

June%2B8%2BHoliday.jpg
tenor.gif

We had a "Hog Platoon" set up for our "obese trainees". Back then if you could walk straight you got drafted and that included all shapes and sizes.

I was in charge of the Company's Hog Platoon during training and one thing I set up was before each mess I made the fat boys do the Daily Dozen and run a mile. Then they could eat. It worked. They would puke their guts out and the pounds rolled off.

The list is long for what we did back then. I am not sure today's Army would allow 75% of it. But our objective was to make these boys into men because within a few months they would be thick in the rice patties of Vietnam and would thank us because they were prepared.
Guarantee today's army would not allow most things we did. They started complaining about the things we were doing.

Happy Hump Day.

June%2B8%2BHoliday.jpg

Happy Anniversary to you and your better half. Bless you both...

Best I recall, guys who couldn't pass the physical part joined the fat boys club for some extra work. I don't know what it consisted of, but a few from our group had to join.

Morning D-Legionnaires!

81° on tap today with high 90's starting tomorrow with triple digits for the weekend. Fishing might be curtailed.

Won both games last night with the first one being over by the 4th inning (run rule) and the second requiring a walk off home run in the bottom of the 7th to secure the win. We went into the 7th down by 4 and after one out 2 guys got on and the next hit a home run bringing us to within one run. The next guy gets walked and then another home run to end the game 12 -11. Another good hitting night last night for me, 5-6 with two walks. Turned a single into a double with a hit to the opposite field in the second game. Had walked the first at bat and with my team using a pinch runner I guess the outfielder figured when I got the hit that he could come up and field it with no effort. Seeing him take his time as I was touching first, I picked up the pace and headed for second. Realizing I was little faster than letting on he quickened his effort and tried to throw me out at second. It was close but, with another Pete Rose dive this week I got in under the tag. My teammates then yelled out: "Why do you need a pinch runner?" They knew they were still faster but were trying to be funny.

Morning D-Legionnaires!

81° on tap today with high 90's starting tomorrow with triple digits for the weekend. Fishing might be curtailed.

Won both games last night with the first one being over by the 4th inning (run rule) and the second requiring a walk off home run in the bottom of the 7th to secure the win. We went into the 7th down by 4 and after one out 2 guys got on and the next hit a home run bringing us to within one run. The next guy gets walked and then another home run to end the game 12 -11. Another good hitting night last night for me, 5-6 with two walks. Turned a single into a double with a hit to the opposite field in the second game. Had walked the first at bat and with my team using a pinch runner I guess the outfielder figured when I got the hit that he could come up and field it with no effort. Seeing him take his time as I was touching first, I picked up the pace and headed for second. Realizing I was little faster than letting on he quickened his effort and tried to throw me out at second. It was close but, with another Pete Rose dive this week I got in under the tag. My teammates then yelled out: "Why do you need a pinch runner?" They knew they were still faster but were trying to be funny.
Talking about speed (or lack of). We had a first baseman everyone called step and a half. He had played baseball for U of Missouri till an injury. He said the doc who operated was drunk and that's why he walked/ran funny. No doubt in my mind, he could've made MLB if he could have run.

Happy Hump Day.

June%2B8%2BHoliday.jpg
YES!
751073main_m57ring_hst_big_custom-b3d392eaaf3bf6c2278bb25124ea96d0481e9015.jpg
d5f944834c749a2e342c3c533d3a5ed8.jpg

Out of this world
Qn9SJ2P1_o.jpg

110°F forecast
Food Tip

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT