ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

Jackie Gleason always had that cigarette in his hand. He sure made me laugh, loved the guy. When I think of New Yorker, I think of Jackie Gleason. My daddy would roll in the floor laughing while watching the Honeymooners

285856271_10159139072013495_2380662458759616497_n.jpg

Jack, Jackie, Gerald, and Bob..... There's four to draw out of a hand. šŸ˜šŸ‘Œ

One thing I miss about Florida are the Publix stores. Not only do they have everything but they must drug the help because they are always nice.
They follow the Chick-fil-A model in hiring personnel. Actually I think Chick-fil-A copied their model. The store was founded in Winter Haven, FL in the early 1930's. The employees are trained to be cordial with a smile. If you do not have that personality you will not last long.

I apologize for the length of this post but I have an affection for Publix and how they treat employees. Based on a lesson of life.

My first cousin's dad got sent to the federal pen in Atlanta and he and his four younger brothers were left without a father for 20 years. His dad's crime was a white collar crime involving finances. He was a brilliant person (IQ wise) but thought he could swindle old ladies out of their money. When they divided up the Old Home Place his wife, my aunt, got her 40 acres and my uncle decided to develop it. He got into a mess and The Feds put him in the Pen.

Anyway what is left of the family are 5 young brothers and a mama. So at age 14 one of the boys went down to Publix to apply for a job as a bag boy. This was in 1958. It was a small town and the manager of the store went to the same church and he knew the story of the family. He hired him and let him work after school. Time moves on and it is time to graduate from HS. Bobby is a straight A student. Publix kept him employed and allowed him to go to college at the University of South Florida in Tampa. They paid his tuition. He graduated with a degree in finance and economics and worked his way to the top, all the way to their headquarters where he retired. From a bag boy to the inner circles of a giant food store. Now that is the America I knew about when I was a youngster.

One Publix practice that was common and still is; during a rain storm an employee will hold an umbrella for you as you go to your car and the bag boy/ girl is trained to always offer to take your groceries to the car.

His niece is now with Publix and she told me they are expanding into Kentucky on a trial basis. First Louisville and then Lexington. I told her I was not sure it would go over in Kentucky because it is more Midwest than Southern and it caters to different food. But maybe it will. Locally we have a lot of transplant from the North who are of Italian descent. Publix caters to them and have a long aisle of nothing but olive oil and Italian food items. So you can get chicken and dumplings on one side of the aisle and olive oil on the other. They did the same thing for Spanish food. That is an example of understanding your customers.

Stores-Through-the-Decades-Header.jpg

Good morning! I've been up for a couple of hours now. The night is officially over.

Every morning I go through the national headlines to see if there is anything worth reading about. Each morning I feel like I've Rip Van Winkled the last 20 years and I've woken up to a bizzarro world.

California has 40 cities and communities that have banned gas stoves in homes and businesses. To save the planet! Los Angeles is set to follow.

I have the first gun I ever shot. It is a cheap German made 22 revolver that came with 2 cylinders. 1 for long rifle and 1 for magnum. My father brought it home with him from the Korean War. I only have the magnum cylinder and have no idea what happened to the other over the years. I was at the flea market at the fairgrounds last week and started to buy some magnum's from dude. He said the price was $27.50 for a box of 50. I said "that's about 55 cents per bullet"! he said "that's exactly right". I still have no magnum bullets.

90 days until football action! I'm already nervous about this season. I can see it as a tipping point for UK football. If we can play for the East championship, it will propel us into the upper echelon. Top 4 in the SEC is top 10 in the nation. We deserve it as much as anyone else does. We have been disproportionately penalized for things other schools do regularly with no repercussions.

Have a great Sunday. While you still can.

Back in the 1970's when we were having all of those gas issues the Federal Government lowered the speed limit to 55 MPH. Probably one of the dumbest things a government could do but some egg head politician from up North in a crowded city probably thought nobody drives over 55.

Well we were driving from Florida to Arizona to visit a dying uncle. He moved out there after getting black lung working in the Kentucky coal mines. I had a 1968 Mercury Cougar that would flat out fly. One of the fast cars I have owned. So somewhere in the middle of Texas with nobody in sight I eased her up to 90 mph and put on the cruise control. On up the road was a Texas State Trooper parked in a little park area with picnic tables. I just flew by him knowing any minute he was coming after me.

A few miles down the road I saw him in my rear view mirror but he did not have on his lights or siren. So I kept going and he pulled up beside of me and tipped his hat with a smile. I guess he saw my Florida plates and thought that boy ain't go no sense so no use in telling him to slow down.

But there is more to the story. I pulled into a truck stop and there he was again. He came up to me and said 55 is a dumb law isn't it and I said I reckon it is. Then he gave me a valuable tip. He said if I was going through San Angelo to watch out because their sheriff has speed traps set up. I thanked him and I did hold it under 55. I always want to support the local sheriff.
I was on leave from Ft. Sill traveling through Lexington on my way to see a friend spring 88. I had an 87 Ford Bronco 5.0 and was testing it out on the highway. I hit 105mph when I saw the lights of a state trooper. When he came to my window he ask if I knew how fast I was going and I said yes. Told him I was on leave from Sill and was late meeting a friend in Cincy. He saw my campaign hat sitting on my dash and realized I was a Drill Sergeant. He told me that at that time anything over 20mph over the speed limit was arrestable but, said he would only clock me at 75mph and ticket me for that. I thanked him and went on my merry way at a much slower pace.

After serving many years in line units (INF and ADA), my experiences were vastly different than yours. Drunk GIs usually = trouble. Many incidents I was involved as an NCO bordered on stupidity. For example, back in '85, one of my soldiers decided he'd impress his German girlfriend and jumped, while intoxicated, from a 5th story window at Siegerland Kaserne near Burbach, Germany. Broke his back. Ambulance transported him to Jung-Stilling Krankenhaus (where my son was born 9 years later) in Siegen. From there, Bundeswehr MEDEVAC chopper flew him in inclimate weather to a special hospital near Bad Wildungen for spinal surgery. It gets better, but I won't go into there right now.

Numerous other incidents transpired over my career, ranging from fights to serious spousal abuse. Heh, one kid's wife broke a glass ashtray over his head resulting in a concussion. What a mess.

Really wish I could have been so lucky serving around reasonable folks. Problem for us revolved around the attitudes instilled in those units across the board. Train hard, party hard. Gawd, I hated staff duty on weekends.

Photo from similar building kid jumped from. Tree somewhat hides 5th floor window.

10704367_701259693281566_6936210232477366267_o.jpg
Yep, many similar stories. I had one while I was on CQ in Germany (4th USAFAD) around the same time frame jump out of a 3 story building after wrapping himself in toilet paper, lighting it on fire, then jumped out. Burns and a broken leg and a dishonorable discharge. He wanted out so, he decided this was is only way.

Last edited:
Good morning folks. Back from about as long a walk as my bum hip and knee can take. Absolutely flawless, cool, bright day in the east. I was listening to a podcast today about how many people head out into the wilderness in our rugged, beautiful, physically diverse country and .....just vanish. Experts put the number at 1,500-2,000 a year. Some bodies are eventually found, some never.

Some of the stories are pretty fascinating, while of course being tragic. Couples are seen at a trailhead of a fairly well traveled stretch of a popular park, then never seen again. That kind of stuff.

In my younger days I took some really long solo hikes, and as a father I've taken my son along when I was in my late 40s, early 50s and felt like I could trek forever. And i certainly got a little "turned around" from time to time. Once with my then - 12-year-old son, in early April, we got fogged in on a hike up to a little peak called Sugar Loaf Mountain in Maryland. The fog seemed to roll in out of nowhere, and coming down, we couldn't see much. We managed to shift too far to the left and miss the parking lot half way up to the top. We ended up having to walk to the bottom, then hike back up until we hit the road to the parking lot. We didn't get back to our car until well after dark, hungry and thirsty. I guess the kid still thinks that was just an extra-long walk. Luckily at that age, a couple Big Macs and a shake and he was ready to sleep all the way home.

I guess all native Kentuckians are like Daniel Boone. I'm sure you've all heard what he said when asked after his days as an explorer whether he was ever lost: "No, I was never lost," he said. "I was BEWILDERED once for five days."
Yeah, my wife gets a little nervous every time I go fishing because it is almost always by myself either in the kayak or in waders. I rarely go with anyone else because I don't want to be on anyone else's schedule to get there or leave. She ask how would she know if something ever happened to me. I told her with Sill I have to check in before going and out when leaving. If I don't check out by the time given to be gone they will come looking to make sure I am ok. I have to list the areas I will be fishing in up to 3 so, they will know where to look.

Oh, and by the way, I went fishing this morning.

Fishing report: Several strikes with 6 hooked and 4 landed. None bigger than a pound and a half or so. Fishing has picked up since the first part of the year where I was blanked a few times. Of course, I am fishing in my new honey holes because my old ones were not producing.

Hello all,

Just got back from church. We have been able to attend more frequently lately. I am thankful. Yard work, I am heading out to mow and trim, then plan to change My Darlings car oil and straighten the garage.(It sure needs it.) Then the inside ... Ouch.... Carpets need a serious cleaning but will only try straightening up and storing the excess.

My Darling is planning to barbeque some kalbi beef today. May take a pic or two. Bless the rest of your days....

Got the yard mowed, the mower cleaned, the oil changed, talked to my neighbor about twenty or so minutes, quaisi straightened the garage, never touched anything inside. My Darling is cooking now... The BB is playing at his stove in the kitchen, I am in my recliner, going to sneak upstairs and grab a Yuengling quietly and sneak back down. The little Booger should be here shortly.... My oldest ....sigh my oldest and the LB should be leaving about now.... Oh well...I am thankful (As soon as I get back with my Yuengling...) ;)

Edit: I am thankful...

I have to brag on my neighbor. After our sewer re-route the yard is obviously a mess. While sitting out on the deck I kept hearing noises. Turns out he and his son, along with a wheelbarrow were gathering up bricks, rocks, broken pipe, etc. and hauling them away. Man I was speechless. Owe them big time.

I have to brag on my neighbor. After our sewer re-route the yard is obviously a mess. While sitting out on the deck I kept hearing noises. Turns out he and his son, along with a wheelbarrow were gathering up bricks, rocks, broken pipe, etc. and hauling them away. Man I was speechless. Owe them big time.

I love engaging with good people. Me and my next door neighbor have some good sessions. Had one today. He is good people. We all have our crosses to bear as he does and I do but we get through it. (He is retired military and retired civil service.) I wish the neighbor on the other side of me had half his sense and he is a Major in the Army. Just dufuses and not nice people. I tried all I know to overcome it but a scuzz they seem to be in my thinking.

Last edited:
I love engaging with good people. Me and my next door neighbor have some good sessions. Had one today. He is good people. We all have our crosses to bear as he does and I do but we get through it. (He is retired military and retired civil service.) I wish the neighbor on the other side of me had half his sense and he is a Major in the Army. Just dufuses and not nice people. I tried all I know to overcome it but a scuzz they seem to be in my thinking.
The Golden Rule is still alive and well. I'll always have faith in people no matter how warped this country gets.

Good morning from ATX. Currently 77Ā°F and mostly cloudy. Today's high expected at around 103Ā°F. Triple digit heat forecast for the next 7 days at least. Heat advisory in effect.

Weekend went fast. Too fast. Co-worker out next three days so I'm manning without assistance. Hope we're not busy.

Monday, Monday.....

Wishing happiness and health for all our fellow D-League members.

National-Applesauce-Cake-Day-June-6.jpg

Good morning D League

We have a temperature of 72Ā° and winds NE 7 mph. Our high should be 84Ā°. I am finishing up this cup of coffee and will take a day trip in my pick up. I am headed up and over to Trenton, FL and maybe do a little shooting while I am up there. Trenton is Old Florida with a population of about 2,000. It is the largest town in the county. Lots of natural springs and woods and beautiful scenery. I love small towns.

Trust all are well and in good health. Prayers for Star Chief and our other brothers and sisters who may be ailing.

iu

They follow the Chick-fil-A model in hiring personnel. Actually I think Chick-fil-A copied their model. The store was founded in Winter Haven, FL in the early 1930's. The employees are trained to be cordial with a smile. If you do not have that personality you will not last long.

I apologize for the length of this post but I have an affection for Publix and how they treat employees. Based on a lesson of life.

My first cousin's dad got sent to the federal pen in Atlanta and he and his four younger brothers were left without a father for 20 years. His dad's crime was a white collar crime involving finances. He was a brilliant person (IQ wise) but thought he could swindle old ladies out of their money. When they divided up the Old Home Place his wife, my aunt, got her 40 acres and my uncle decided to develop it. He got into a mess and The Feds put him in the Pen.

Anyway what is left of the family are 5 young brothers and a mama. So at age 14 one of the boys went down to Publix to apply for a job as a bag boy. This was in 1958. It was a small town and the manager of the store went to the same church and he knew the story of the family. He hired him and let him work after school. Time moves on and it is time to graduate from HS. Bobby is a straight A student. Publix kept him employed and allowed him to go to college at the University of South Florida in Tampa. They paid his tuition. He graduated with a degree in finance and economics and worked his way to the top, all the way to their headquarters where he retired. From a bag boy to the inner circles of a giant food store. Now that is the America I knew about when I was a youngster.

One Publix practice that was common and still is; during a rain storm an employee will hold an umbrella for you as you go to your car and the bag boy/ girl is trained to always offer to take your groceries to the car.

His niece is now with Publix and she told me they are expanding into Kentucky on a trial basis. First Louisville and then Lexington. I told her I was not sure it would go over in Kentucky because it is more Midwest than Southern and it caters to different food. But maybe it will. Locally we have a lot of transplant from the North who are of Italian descent. Publix caters to them and have a long aisle of nothing but olive oil and Italian food items. So you can get chicken and dumplings on one side of the aisle and olive oil on the other. They did the same thing for Spanish food. That is an example of understanding your customers.

Stores-Through-the-Decades-Header.jpg
We are fortunate to have a Publix one mile down the road from us. I especially like their buy one-get one free deals. It also helps having my youngest son work there; he says it's a nice place to work.

Good morning! I've been awake for 2 hours, been out of bed about 15 minutes. Got some yard work to do today before the gutter guys come tomorrow.

Why the rash of mass shootings? Are they truly unrelated? Is it possible that brainwashed leftys are attempting to bring about gun control with these attacks? Pay no attention, just trying to rationalize the irrational.

Good morning folks. By this time on June 6, 1944, hundreds had already paid the ultimate price. Our eternal thanks to them.

Lovely weather in the east is still holding: bright, clear, cool. It can't last, which makes it more to be appreciated.

A long, dreary work Monday ahead. I hope it is a good day for all of you.

Good morning! I've been awake for 2 hours, been out of bed about 15 minutes. Got some yard work to do today before the gutter guys come tomorrow.

Why the rash of mass shootings? Are they truly unrelated? Is it possible that brainwashed leftys are attempting to bring about gun control with these attacks? Pay no attention, just trying to rationalize the irrational.

There are copycats BUT there are also those funding these incidents as well to get their agenda enacted. Nefarious is a nice word for these Communists.

Last edited:
CSXT%204543.jpg

The Golden Rule is still alive and well. I'll always have faith in people no matter how warped this country gets.
I don't have much faith the apes are any smarter than when they chose Barabbas.
Good morning D League

We have a temperature of 72Ā° and winds NE 7 mph. Our high should be 84Ā°. I am finishing up this cup of coffee and will take a day trip in my pick up. I am headed up and over to Trenton, FL and maybe do a little shooting while I am up there. Trenton is Old Florida with a population of about 2,000. It is the largest town in the county. Lots of natural springs and woods and beautiful scenery. I love small towns.

Trust all are well and in good health. Prayers for Star Chief and our other brothers and sisters who may be ailing.

iu
Sometimes I feel like that too. Then I'm restored.

These R&N iron horse restorations sporting white walls!
clint-eastwood-nod.gif

CSXT%204543.jpg

I don't have much faith the apes are any smarter than when they chose Barabbas.

Sometimes I feel like that too. Then I'm restored.

These R&N iron horse restorations sporting white walls!
clint-eastwood-nod.gif

Barabbas in deed, at the egging on by the evil one, man is apt to choose the wrong, in many instances. At the behest of choice, God's spirit is still here though God's spirit will not always strive with man.

My consolation being that God's spirit still strives with man. Men show the appearance of "Seeking" God. God has still not moved. (Just some thought..) I am thankful for the Holy Spirit...

Coming up next...drones with tasers! What a world we live in. Ah, the technology. Just look at how it has simplified our lives. Now we have all the time we need to pursue happiness.

Yeah I love how complicated technology makes the un-complicated, complicated. It is a serious deficiency that needs to be addressed by some sane minds who are of the mind-set of profitability. Take profitability out of the equation and you have our current technology basis for a lot of current technology issues.

It does not have to be this way.

My little day trip today took me by the site of the filming of a 1961 Elvis Presley movie called Follow That Dream. The drive through Yankeetown to the end of the road is very scenic and today was a beautiful day. A joke when I was a kid was our forefathers didn't know what to do with all of the Yankees flocking down in the 1920's so they decided to try to contain they in this little town. It didn't work. They scattered every where.

00-VGoiT3Y43HCVi5zFo8RP4qAIx90G3xGFQmQ4UHj7teTMv7dwPuHWeWZg4hVWWiDD4xJ2Twu75QF_jizMkB1ZdA

County Road 30 in Levy County is called "Follow That Dream Parkway" It leads to the Gulf of Mexico and a few miles up at Bird Creek is where most of the movie was filmed.

00-VGoiT3Y43HCVi5zFo8RP4qAIx90G3xGFQmQ4UHj7teS7wdkJLi3ko2OrbF4VUM0WVZV51t4MhjbEwRNyGscOgg

If you saw the movie you may remember Elvis catching a large Tarpon with a safety pin while fishing on the bridge. This is the bridge facing east that crosses Bird Creek. The wooded area was cleared by the movie company and a white sand beach was put there. That is where Elvis and his family "homesteaded". They built a shack and claimed the land. Now 60 years later nature has reclaimed the land. The white sand beach is gone.

You can see by the fishing lines over the wires it is a still a popular spot.

00-VGoiT3Y43HCVi5zFo8RP4qAIx90G3xGFQmQ4UHj7teQSeymPGvmCVAZ_I_5nJHRfV7ntXQOewWgszVPDOQPWWw

And here is the end. This is a very popular fishing area. If you go due west you end up in Texas.

00-VGoiT3Y43HCVi5zFo8RP4qAIx90G3xGFQmQ4UHj7teS0oXQhqaeEvTvhCAcFXCYDVZV51t4MhjbEwRNyGscOgg

00-VGoiT3Y43HCVi5zFo8RP4qAIx90G3xGFQmQ4UHj7teQ-tLXr8hw3odO-HSEacK9bUnDnu4gHHWpfyYq5WwzmNg

I love getting off of the beaten path and see a Florida most people don't know exists. It is peaceful, quiet and unspoiled.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT