ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

Some steamed Mandu, a mixture of hamburger, onions, green onions, noodles, cabbage, and several other items. I ate these like popcorn today. The BB kept asking for popcorn but he is home with his Mom now or I'd have made him some.
Made her own flour skins as well today. (Used White Lilly flour.) Then dipped them in a little soy sauce just before indulging...

277800212_5551226728224195_7781513953358094660_n.jpg

My Darling doesn't like me taking pictures of anything except the finished product but... I snuck this in....
277573725_5551226788224189_148940429101879969_n.jpg

I had to post a happy post as last night my Niece contacted me. My Brother passed away (My Brother in Law) but he was like my brother. He was 72....

Heading to Michigan, leaving Monday early afternoon...

Jim Riddle...
(As my Aunt Bessie called him.... Much of a Man! He was...)(A Vietnam War veteran. An MP.)

278176091_5125063904245135_6134890244893875881_n.jpg

Jim is in the middle in Black. My two nieces on his far left at the end. If the Lord doesn't take me home Uncle Dave will be there for his funeral Wednesday along with my brother and probably my sister. Those are all Jim's grandchildren and great grand children...(His children are my two nieces Chrissy and Jill.)(Just noticed he has a couple grand children and probably a great grand child that are not there.)

Last edited:
I had to post a happy post as last night my Niece contacted me. My Brother passed away (My Brother in Law) but he was like my brother. He was 72....

Jim Riddle...
(As my Aunt Bessie called him.... Much of a Man! He was...)(A Vietnam War veteran. An MP.)

Jim is in the middle in Black. My two nieces on his far left at the end. If the Lord doesn't take me home Uncle Dave will be there for his funeral Wednesday along with my brother and probably my sister. Those are all Jim's grandchildren and great grand children...(His children are my two nieces Chrissy and Jill.)(Just noticed he has a couple grand children's and probably a great grand child that are not there.)
Sorry to hear that BBUK.

Baseball stories. I love it. Not to hijack talk about Stan the Man, but since Donora came up, I’ll admit I was always fascinated by Junior. I saw him on a MLB diamond at Rivetfront back in the 1970s - the Reds had a traditional Fathers-Sons game when Griffey Sr. was in Cincy and my dad always enjoyed going to those.

Years later when Junior played his first couple years in the Bigs, I was living in a part of Maryland not that far from Baltimore and had buddies who were huge Orioles fans. I saw Griffey in a game hit two mammoth HRs, then run down a ball and make a leaping catch that seemed to defy the laws of physics. Just in terms of raw talent, watching him in his early days must have been like watching Mays or Mantle in the 1950s before Mickey was first injured.
I will give you another baseball story since you like them. This is a Sandy Koufax story about his curveball. It is in the World Series with Mantle hitting. Sandy had struck out Mantle on three fastballs the first at bat. The book on Mantle at that point in his career was never ever under any circumstances throw him a curve ball, but in the next at bat, Sandy broke off a curve ball for strike three. Mantle turned around to the catcher and said, "How the f@ck is anybody supposed to hit that shit?"

Jim Riddle...

Jim is in the middle in Black. My two nieces on his far left at the end. If the Lord doesn't take me home Uncle Dave will be there for his funeral Wednesday along with my brother and probably my sister. Those are all Jim's grandchildren and great grand children...(His children are my two nieces Chrissy and Jill.)(Just noticed he has a couple grand children's and probably a great grand child that are not there.)
May our Lord be with the family.

Let 82 out at his car and decided to go in Walmart and grad some chicken tenders for the ride home. I heard a hint of the music they play in the parking lot and store and it sounded familiar. If sounded familiar but out of place for what I normally hear at a place like that. Good Times by Mott. Really Mott the Hoople but, whatever.

Hadn't heard it for years but instantly remembered it. Had the vinyl.

Another baseball story told by Bill James as told by Billy Sunday on teammate Ed Williamson. Sunday is the baseball player turned evangelist. In the 1880's, baseball was a ruffians game. Williamson was one of the top players in the game at the time. After one season. The team owner arranged a tour of Europe playing exhibition games. On the boat home while crossing the ocean, there came a great storm and the passengers feared for their lives. Williamson was a big drinker and he promised the Lord he would stop drinking if He would let him live. Sunday said Ed cried and told him many times he tried to quit and just couldn't do it. Ed died from diseases caused by alcoholism at 36.

Jim Riddle...

Jim is in the middle in Black. My two nieces on his far left at the end. If the Lord doesn't take me home Uncle Dave will be there for his funeral Wednesday along with my brother and probably my sister. Those are all Jim's grandchildren and great grand children...(His children are my two nieces Chrissy and Jill.)(Just noticed he has a couple grand children and probably a great grand child that are not there.)
Really sorry for your loss. Prayers.

I will give you another baseball story since you like them. This is a Sandy Koufax story about his curveball. It is in the World Series with Mantle hitting. Sandy had struck out Mantle on three fastballs the first at bat. The book on Mantle at that point in his career was never ever under any circumstances throw him a curve ball, but in the next at bat, Sandy broke off a curve ball for strike three. Mantle turned around to the catcher and said, "How the f@ck is anybody supposed to hit that shit?"
Good stuff. That era, from about 63-69 was the greatest short period of pitching in baseball history perhaps. Koufax, Gibson, Marichal, Bunning, Seaver, Drysdale, on and on. Even more ordinary staff aces like Jim Maloney were capable of dominating performances. On my ninth birthday in 1965 my dad took me to a game in which Maloney and Bob Veale of the Pirates each pitched shutout ball for 13 innings before the Pirates won 1-0 in the 16th inning on a suicide squeeze.

Last edited:
Let 82 out at his car and decided to go in Walmart and grad some chicken tenders for the ride home. I heard a hint of the music they play in the parking lot and store and it sounded familiar. If sounded familiar but out of place for what I normally hear at a place like that. Good Times by Mott. Really Mott the Hoople but, whatever.

"all the young dudes, carry the news"

Good stuff. That era, from about 63-69 was the greatest short period of pitching in baseball history perhaps. Koufax, Gibson, Marichal, Bunning, Seaver, Drysdale, on and on. Even more ordinary staff aces like Jim Maloney were capable of dominating performances. On my ninth birthday in 1965 my dad took me to a game in which Maloney and Bob Veale of the Pirates each pitched shutout ball for 12 innings before the Pirates won 1-0 in the 13th inning.
Gotta add 1971 for team pitching. Orioles had 4 20-game winners.

sr1luobqgj7gcqfnapyr

He screwed up his arm with all the breaking pitches even though he was awfully fast. Retired at age 30. I think his left arm wound up like 2" shorter than right. Also, Reds only team he had a losing record against. Drysdale much tougher on Reds.

Thanks all,

Had to know Jim. He has been a brother to me since I was 10 or 11 years old. For a long while only due to my brother working so much and taking flying lessons back then, he spent a lot of time with me though he dated and married my sister. His younger brother and I became good friends as well. (We were about the same age though I think I am a year older than his younger brother Richard. I knew his Mom and Dad and his sisters and brothers and their husbands and wives. I spent a lot of time with them. When he and my sister divorced after my Nieces were grown I never got over that. Jim and I still stayed in close touch. I sent him a bunch of things from Korea while I was there and have talked to him many times.

The tears flow uncontrollably at times now, since I heard from my Niece last night. I called her nearly immediately. I used to babysit her and her sister a whole lot so Jim and my sister could go out. I did that until I moved south for a couple months before I joined the Army. When I finished work and cleaned up I was over at there house a lot whenever he and my sister wanted to go out. He was just so good to me, I had to be good to him. (I just call my nieces collectively "Nieces" (As their individual name.). It is still that way...

He was a steel rigger at Great Lakes Steel Mill in River Rouge Michigan for 47 years before he retired. The dude was a climbers climber and got hurt several times but he was in a heck of a good shape always. One of the best artists I have ever seen as well. I used to sit and watch him doodle or draw. Put anything that would write in his hand and you had art.

What he died from was a broken heart. He never dated or remarried after my sister left him. (I guess 20 or more years ago.). He bought a house right next door to his that my Niece lives in with her husband and family so he was never alone. As you see he had a large family around him. It was my sisters loss but I know in my heart that is what took him too early.

The Lord giveth and The Lord taketh away. Blessed be the name of the Lord...

EDIT...........

I was about to post this and my Darlings phone rang. When she answered it, it was my son. He was in a head-on collision tonight with one of his friends. (Yes they were)... but, my son was letting his friend drive his car/SUV. (Totaled.)(All okay...except for the vehicles.)

I know you didn't have a choice but thank you for letting me indulge with the keyboard... It helps....

Blessed be the name of the Lord.....

Last edited:
Happy Birthday!!!

Happy Birthday !!!

Same here. Happy Birthday @UK_fan_41102

Happy birthday to you!

Happy Birthday. Wishing you many, many more.

Home again! The game was brisk. The air was cold! Had a couple of periods with sunshine that lasted a couple of minutes at a time. Levis only played for 2 possessions. Only 5 months to go until the next game.

Happy Birthday @UK_fan_41102!
Thanks for all the birthday wishes.

Thanks all,

Had to know Jim. He has been a brother to me since I was 10 or 11 years old. For a long while only due to my brother working so much and taking flying lessons back then, he spent a lot of time with me though he dated and married my sister. His younger brother and I became good friends as well. (We were about the same age though I think I am a year older than his younger brother Richard. I knew his Mom and Dad and his sisters and brothers and their husbands and wives. I spent a lot of time with them. When he and my sister divorced after my Nieces were grown I never got over that. Jim and I still stayed in close touch. I sent him a bunch of things from Korea while I was there and have talked to him many times.

The tears flow uncontrollably at times now, since I heard from my Niece last night. I called her nearly immediately. I used to babysit her and her sister a whole lot so Jim and my sister could go out. I did that until I moved south for a couple months before I joined the Army. When I finished work and cleaned up I was over at there house a lot whenever he and my sister wanted to go out. He was just so good to me, I had to be good to him. (I just call my nieces collectively "Nieces" (As their individual name.). It is still that way...

He was a steel rigger at Great Lakes Steal Mill in River Rouge Michigan for 47 years before he retired. The dude was a climbers climber and got hurt several times but he was in a heck of a good shape always. One of the best artists I have ever seen as well. I used to sit and watch him doodle or draw. Put anything that would write in his hand and you had art.

What he died from was a broken heart. He never dated or remarried after my sister left him. (I guess 20 or more years ago.). He bought a house right next door to his that my Niece lives in with her husband and family so he was never alone. As you see he had a large family around him. It was my sisters loss but I know in my heart that is what took him too early.

EDIT...........

I was about to post this and my Darlings phone rang. When she answered it, it was my son. He was in a head-on collision tonight with one of his friends. (Yes they were)... but, my son was letting his friend drive his car/SUV. (Totaled.)(All okay...except for the vehicles.)

I know you didn't have a choice but thank you for letting me indulge with the keyboard... It helps....

Prayers for your BIL and son.

Good morning D-League. It is a chilly day in the east. Heading into DC in a bit to join my daughter, her husband and his family for a small gathering at a celebrated old DC saloon called the Dubliner.

I can’t say the last time I was there, but the most memorable was St Patrick’s Day 1991. I landed at Dulles Airport that day after nearly 200 straight days in the Middle East covering Desert Storm. My then girlfriend asked me where I wanted to go first and remembering it was St. Paddy’s Day I said, “straight to the Dubliner.” What a riotous time.

Today will be more quiet but fun. I wish the same for all of you.

Morning Legionnaires!

Went fishing early yesterday with the weather supposed to be at around 41° and sunny at 0730 when I hit my spot. Stepped out of my truck with frost breath. 29° instead albeit sunny. Unusually cold for the area this time of year. Stayed at Rattler pond for about 2 hours and 2 other people joined me there and none of us even got a bite. I went to Corn Planter pond next and stayed about an hour or so with no bite. Was joined there by another person and he got no bites. Went back to Rattler as the day warmed up and there were two more people (the other 2 had left) and they had nothing either. Some were catfishing and some bass but nothing was biting. It has been cooler this time of year here for the last two years (not really complaining) and I guess the fish are confused or maybe it's just me.

I have Decided to go play with my old friend's sons softball team in OKC today. Will leave here around 1400 to get there. His son called me and said they were short a couple of players and needed a pitcher. I Have not practiced or played since April last year. Going to see how these old bones hold up. It is a team of guys in their 20's and 30's. I am more than twice their ages. I told him that I might need a pinch runner since I have not run the bases or any running in a while. Karate has kept me stretched out but...we will see.

Good morning from ATX. Currently 59°F, clear with a light wind. Today's high may reach 89°F.

Celebrating 3rd straight morning with no throwing up by our baby. She's also become even more feisty. Love it. Still eats shredded, boiled chicken. Looking at a dietary change soon. She's lost about 7 pounds since all this started.

@BBUK : sorry about your BIL. Safe travels to his funeral.

Wishing happiness and health for all our fellow D-League members.

He screwed up his arm with all the breaking pitches even though he was awfully fast. Retired at age 30. I think his left arm wound up like 2" shorter than right. Also, Reds only team he had a losing record against. Drysdale much tougher on Reds.
He would've been treated different if he played today. I read a story where the Dodgers made him throw 200 pitches in a spring training game as they wanted to know if his arm was going to be ok for the season. At age 45, 15 years after he retired, he often still pitched BP for the Dodgers just to be around the game. This was when the Garvey and Cey bunch was there. During a BP session, one of the guys said why don't you throw us some of those famous curve balls. He did and no one was able to do anything with them. Manager Tommy LaSorda said he went out to the mound and asked Sandy to quit throwing the curves because he didn't want the team to lose confidence right before the WS.

Good morning! Not much on tap for today other than tackling the jungle that surrounds my house. I was going to sharpen the blades before I started this year but there are a lot of sticks in the backyard. I'm not going to walk around and pick them up when I have 24hp to chew them up and spit em out. I'll sharpen them after that.

Other than that speedbump, I'll be sitting here watching the Masters.

Camden Yards is the park I've always wanted to visit & haven't. These days I assume you need to be packin. I've been to 14 MLB parks counting three in Cincy.
Camden Yards was built, at least in part, on CSX land. The first game that they dedicated the new park a bunch of us railroaders were invited to go.

It impressed me to the ninth degree. It was what I envisioned as an 1890's ball park.

I would not worry about going there at all. I think it would be safe, especially for an afternoon game. The park is wonderful.

Gotta add 1971 for team pitching. Orioles had 4 20-game winners.

sr1luobqgj7gcqfnapyr
Great staff there. Yesterday I was channel surfing and came across the Orioles local game feed (I get the Orioles and Nationals games.) There was Jim Palmer doing post-game commentary. The guy has to be in his mid-70s - he was in the Bigs in 1965 - but has the hair of a 35 year old still. I don't know if he has a gimmick like great dye jobs, but if not he's got the best hair for a 70-year-old since Ronald Reagan!

Thanks all,

He was a steel rigger at Great Lakes Steal Mill in River Rouge Michigan for 47 years before he retired. The dude was a climbers climber and got hurt several times but he was in a heck of a good shape always. One of the best artists I have ever seen as well. I used to sit and watch him doodle or draw. Put anything that would write in his hand and you had art.

EDIT...........

So sorry to hear of Jim's passing. He certainly sounds like he was a wonderful friend and father. It is hard to say good bye to friends and family. Really hard.

Thankful your son was not injured in a head on collision. God's hand was protecting him

1 Corinthians 15:42-44
So will it be with the resurrection of the dead. The body that is sown is perishable, it is raised imperishable; it is sown in dishonor, it is raised in glory; it is sown in weakness, it is raised in power; and it is sown a natural body, it is raised a spiritual body. If there is a natural body, there is also a spiritual body.

Sunny and cool here. Right now it is 50.0°F but this morning at 6:00am it was a cold 32.2°. We are supposed to top out at 72, so I think that there is some yard mowing in my future today.
My wife commented this morning that this is the coolest (cold) weather she can recall in all of her years living in Florida. If you drew up the ideal weather for this area of the world, this would be it.

Our overnight temperatures are in the mid 50's and we have had clear skies and a cool breeze off of the Gulf. You can hear the palms swaying as you lay in bed which relaxes and helps with the blood pressure. No A/C or heat required.

Today we are headed up to 71° clear and sunny skies, winds from the Gulf at 14mph and 35% humidity. This would be a good day to do about anything you want outdoors.

Sunny and cool here. Right now it is 50.0°F but this morning at 6:00am it was a cold 32.2°. We are supposed to top out at 72, so I think that there is some yard mowing in my future today.
I just watched a replay of the weather last night in Louisville. The temp at the airport was 44°. Weather guy said "let's look out in surrounding areas which are a little more indicative of what's really going on". WTH? Temps within 50 miles of the airport were a high of 37° and a low of 33°.

That weatherman just secretly gave up the entire premise of global warming. Louisville's "official" temp was 51° yesterday. The only place it got that warm yesterday was at the airport. No way we can buy enough carbon credits to offset a lie.

Jim Riddle...

Wonderful family and sorry for their & your loss.

Too much competition in a saturated market. Coloful Rock & Rollers.
Thanks for all the birthday wishes.
Here's another

Last edited:
Good stuff. That era, from about 63-69 was the greatest short period of pitching in baseball history perhaps. Koufax, Gibson, Marichal, Bunning, Seaver, Drysdale, on and on. Even more ordinary staff aces like Jim Maloney were capable of dominating performances. On my ninth birthday in 1965 my dad took me to a game in which Maloney and Bob Veale of the Pirates each pitched shutout ball for 13 innings before the Pirates won 1-0 in the 16th inning on a suicide squeeze.
In '68, Gibson had an ERA of like (CORRECTION)1.12. That's when they lowered the mound height from 15" to 10". After that, not so many great starters' records. Want to shorten the game? Raise mound back to like 12". Also will have fewer pitches & save their arms.

Also, journeyman but decent pitcher Harvey Haddix was able to pitch 12 perfect innings in 1959 with a 15" mound.

Last edited:
I am really enjoying the posts on baseball. Like many boys of my age it was the most popular sport growing up. By far

I was able to see most of the greats from the late 40's, through the 50's and 60's by going to Spring Training games in the area. In a 50 mile radius we had some of the all time greats.

Yanks and Cardinals were in St Pete, Cincy Reds and White Sox in Tampa, Phillies in Clearwater, Detroit in Lakeland, Boston in Sarasota. Dodgers in Vero Beach.

Some of the players were Joe DiMaggio, Mickey Mantle, Yogi Berra, Whitey Ford, Stan Musial, Ted Kluszewski , Wally Post, Frankie Robinson, Gus Bell, Al Kaline, Ted Williams, Jackie Robinson, Roy Campanella, Pee Wee and so many more.

Living in Clearwater the ball park was only a mile from the house. All the boys in the neighborhood rode their bikes to school then headed on over to Jack Russell Stadium to catch Spring Training after the bell. What a life for a kid

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT