ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

Hello all and a grateful thank you to all.

I am numb but indeed thankful. I am still in disbelief but I know it's true.

(All the below if the Lord doesn't take me home.) (Do not take for granted there will be a tomorrow.) (Be thankful for your day.)

We will have to make a short trip but I will go to see my Mom's grave on Tuesday, spend most of the time with my brother and my sister and sister if I can.

I have a lot of work to do between now and tomorrow. (Just work stuff, our car is ready.) We must be back by 3pm Thursday.

All have a great day.

(All the below if the Lord doesn't take me home.) (Do not take for granted there will be a tomorrow.) (Be thankful for your day.)

We will have to make a short trip but I will go to see my Mom's grave on Tuesday, spend most of the time with my brother and my sister and sister if I can.

I have a lot of work to do between now and tomorrow. (Just work stuff, our car is ready.) We must be back by 3pm Thursday.

All have a great day.
You will have our prayers for a safe journey and for peace and comfort after losing a valued friend. God speed.

Decent opening series for the Redlegs to split with the Braves. This rookie pitcher Greene is going to add an element of excitement to the season. Not expecting too much. Big league hitters will catch up to that heat. But he’s still fun to watch. The ball explodes out of his hand.

rooster - clearly you're a train enthusiast (foamer j/k)

Does that extend to model railroading?

I'm all slot cars, but if there is a serious model RR type on here, reply here and I'll figure out a way to get in touch. It's about some items that were passed down to me decades ago from my late Uncle.

Last edited:
No way I could handle practicing as much as these guys do. Throw in the workout time and meetings with people about things. Too hectic for me. Plus I wouldn't win enough to cover expenses.
Keeping score and, you know, TRYING, just ruins it for me. I'm just out there to drink some beers, relax, and enjoy the 1 time out of 10 that I make good contact.

In fact, it seems, the less I care/try the better I do.

Last edited:
I am really enjoying the posts on baseball. Like many boys of my age it was the most popular sport growing up. By far

I was able to see most of the greats from the late 40's, through the 50's and 60's by going to Spring Training games in the area. In a 50 mile radius we had some of the all time greats.

Yanks and Cardinals were in St Pete, Cincy Reds and White Sox in Tampa, Phillies in Clearwater, Detroit in Lakeland, Boston in Sarasota. Dodgers in Vero Beach.

Some of the players were Joe DiMaggio, Mickey Mantle, Yogi Berra, Whitey Ford, Stan Musial, Ted Kluszewski , Wally Post, Frankie Robinson, Gus Bell, Al Kaline, Ted Williams, Jackie Robinson, Roy Campanella, Pee Wee and so many more.

Living in Clearwater the ball park was only a mile from the house. All the boys in the neighborhood rode their bikes to school then headed on over to Jack Russell Stadium to catch Spring Training after the bell. What a life for a kid
I was fortunate enough to have had access to some corporate season tickets during the 2001 World Series run. The team owned by Jerry Colangelo (who owned the Suns at that time) . The organization was built by Joe Garagiola Sr. & Jr with Bucky Showalter managing. They had built a very strong team with the 1999 HOFer Randy Johnson returning to his home town adding RHer Curt Shilling and then in 2000 Showalter was then fired for not producing the 2000 post season. They then hired Bob Brenly to manage but that didn't matter. The 6' 5" 235lbs. Curt Shilling's (95-98 mph pitches), perhaps the best RH pitcher around at he time, finished 2nd both years, 2000 & 2001 to the CY Young winner, 6' 10" lefty Randy's 100+mph pitches to create arguably the most dominating pitching staff ever.

That's how to buy a World Series and I was happy for them all. It affected me for the better I think as I got to change my pinion with new evidence. I was 100% against using tax payer money to build a ballpark for a pro team. They built it anyway with the caveat that it would be removed after it was paid for. I believed that for about 2 seconds and was just PO'd knowing the public would be screwed like they always were. Anyway, one afternoon I got home from work early there were 5 boys in my housing watching and cheering the snakes. One black, 2 hispanic and 2 white. I paused, grinned, realizing my share was the cost of a large pizza, was happening all across the metro. Later the tax being removed as promised made it an even better community proposition. The world doesn't have to suck.​

Last edited:
I have a crapload of 50's Lionel Train cars O gauge (including a Santa Fe F-3 ABA locomotive setup) , track, a vintage controller

lionel.jpg

Here's the thing. I am NEVER going to use it. My wife would kill me if I take up any more room (the slot cars are pushing it as is)

I guess I could sell it, but honestly, I'd rather just give it to someone that can restore the stuff if needed, and that it would mean something to.

I take the act of playing golf seriously. I'm going to play golf rather than most things. I don't take the game seriously though. Some times I score well and sometimes I don't, but I always have cold beer, tunes, and a good time.

My father and I used to go to a slot car place in Louisville in the late 60s early 70s. We had a tackle box with parts and tires. Are there any places like that now? With the huge tracks for multicars.

I take the act of playing golf seriously. I'm going to play golf rather than most things. I don't take the game seriously though. Some times I score well and sometimes I don't, but I always have cold beer, tunes, and a good time.

My father and I used to go to a slot car place in Louisville in the late 60s early 70s. We had a tackle box with parts and tires. Are there any places like that now? With the huge tracks for multicars.
None left in Kentucky that i know of. Pretty sure there a few still hanging on in Ohio.

There was one in Lexington up until the early 70's

Those big 8 to 12 lane routed tracks are unbelievably fast. I run HO scale. I'm considering building a routed track for them. I build the cars that I run from scratch (well, I order custom parts from Viper Scale Racing, and then assemble and tweak, tune them) And I do all the body shells myself.

I wish there was a club near here that i could get involved with, but I haven't been able to find one.

I you want to see something ridicuous. Get on youtube and look up tether cars. I think there are only 2 or 3 tracks left in the United States, but those cars are laughably quick. It's a trip to watch them.

Anybody in the Central KY area that ever gets the itch to run some cars, my track is always available. Beats racing my wife, because no matter how much I up the resistor in her controller (more controlled starts) she puts it into the wall, turn 1, EVERY SINGLE TIME. lol

All have a great day.
Death tends to be harder for the living. You can provide a comfort of always knowing and not being confused to your family. That blessing of consistency is so sorely needed today. Take care and be safe.​
rooster - clearly you're a train enthusiast (foamer j/k)

Does that extend to model railroading?

I'm all slot cars, but if there is a serious model RR type on here, reply here and I'll figure out a way to get in touch. It's about some items that were passed down to me decades ago from my late Uncle.
Was a boy when my family was large and local large layouts would be built taking years. Those with slots quickly matured thru go-carts then built jalopies to race at the Sportsdrome & Fairgrounds just for fun. I went fishing.

@*CatinIL* He's doing some RR modeling.​

BTW Welcome to the D
The-Paddock.jpg
Jungle-Pinball-Machine-1-600x600.jpg

1st table left of the Jungle.

Last edited:
None left in Kentucky that i know of. Pretty sure there a few still hanging on in Ohio.

There was one in Lexington up until the early 70's

Those big 8 to 12 lane routed tracks are unbelievably fast. I run HO scale. I'm considering building a routed track for them. I build the cars that I run from scratch (well, I order custom parts from Viper Scale Racing, and then assemble and tweak, tune them) And I do all the body shells myself.

I wish there was a club near here that i could get involved with, but I haven't been able to find one.

I you want to see something ridicuous. Get on youtube and look up tether cars. I think there are only 2 or 3 tracks left in the United States, but those cars are laughably quick. It's a trip to watch them.

Anybody in the Central KY area that ever gets the itch to run some cars, my track is always available. Beats racing my wife, because no matter how much I up the resistor in her controller (more controlled starts) she puts it into the wall, turn 1, EVERY SINGLE TIME. lol
Don't those tether cars go 200mph or something? I've seen them on tv. I had an uncle that built a huge track in their basement.

I have a crapload of 50's Lionel Train cars O gauge (including a Santa Fe F-3 ABA locomotive setup) , track, a vintage controller

lionel.jpg

Here's the thing. I am NEVER going to use it. My wife would kill me if I take up any more room (the slot cars are pushing it as is)

I guess I could sell it, but honestly, I'd rather just give it to someone that can restore the stuff if needed, and that it would mean something to.

addams-family-train-se.gif

Good morning from ATX. Currently 69°F with periodic rain showers. We need it. Rain stopping soon. Today's high predicted around 89°F.

Pup just went 4th morning in a row hungry and without throwing up. Great progress. We might look into slowly changing her food from boiled chicken back to prescription dog food.

Monday, Monday....

Wishing happiness and health for all our fellow D-League members.

65c6d5ebe9558d80861747ee2d26385a--national-pet-day-national-holidays.jpg

Good morning, D-League

This is a mournful world right now. So many of our loved ones, friends, family, and coworkers dying or facing losses themselves. Try to give hope where you can. We know we will see our faithful loved ones again one day, but it doesn't always make the loss easier at first.

My condolences to those whose loved ones have been spared what is to come. I hope the good time you had with them will carry you through. It will be but a moment to them before they see us once more. That brings me some comfort in my loss when it comes

May God grant you all peace and rest

I had to post a happy post as last night my Niece contacted me. My Brother passed away (My Brother in Law) but he was like my brother. He was 72....

Heading to Michigan, leaving Monday early afternoon...

Jim Riddle...
(As my Aunt Bessie called him.... Much of a Man! He was...)(A Vietnam War veteran. An MP.)

278176091_5125063904245135_6134890244893875881_n.jpg

Jim is in the middle in Black. My two nieces on his far left at the end. If the Lord doesn't take me home Uncle Dave will be there for his funeral Wednesday along with my brother and probably my sister. Those are all Jim's grandchildren and great grand children...(His children are my two nieces Chrissy and Jill.)(Just noticed he has a couple grand children and probably a great grand child that are not there.)

Very sorry for your loss. It's our loss today, too, @BBUK . So many people went to fight in that war out of love for their country and their fellow men, wanting to make the world better. We're losing so many of them now. Praying for strength and peace for you and your family.

Morning Legionnaires!

Played 2 softball games with my old friends son's (Brandon) softball team in OKC yesterday. They were short 4 people from his regular team and I decided to help out. Had not played in about a year or run for that matter. I hit the ball better than I thought I would since I had not done that either. I put one off of the fence in left field in the first game. We lost that one however 33-29. It was a slug fest with very little defense. After hitting it my old friend who was also there with his wife said: "What was that?" I said: "The power of an old man, just enough to get it to the fence with nothing left over to park it." Second game was better defensively and we won it 11-7. No injuries for me save a busted thumbnail on my glove hand as a hot shot up the middle hit my glove in that area. Bled a little and is sore this morning but not bad. Made the stop and got the out so...

When the games were over 3 of Brandon's regular guys came up to me and thanked me for driving an hour just to play ball and that it was nice to actually have a pitcher who could throw strikes (very windy yesterday) and field the position. They want me to come back (felt good). The name of the team is the MoonDogs. When I first introduced myself to the team I said: "MoonDogs, meet the old dog." They were a bit skeptical a 64 year old could still play until about midway through the first game when I hit a line drive over the middle and managed to get a double out it. I still had them pinch run for me though the rest of the way as I did not want to over do it the first day.

Last edited:

Morning Legionnaires!

Played 2 softball games with my old friends son's (Brandon) softball team in OKC yesterday. They were short 4 people from his regular team and I decided to help out. Had not played in about a year or run for that matter. I hit the ball better than I thought I would since I had not done that either. I put one off of the fence in left field in the first game. We lost that one however 33-29. It was a slug fest with very little defense. After hitting it my old friend who was also there with his wife said: "What was that?" I said: "The power of an old man, just enough to get it to the fence with nothing left over to park it." Second game was better defensively and we won it 11-7. No injuries for me save a busted thumbnail on my glove hand as a hot shot up the middle hit my glove in that area. Bled a little and is sore this morning but not bad. Made the stop and got the out so...

When the games were over 3 of Brandon's regular guys came up to me and thanked me for driving an hour just to play ball and that it was nice to actually have a pitcher who could throw strikes (very windy yesterday) and field the position. They want me to come back (felt good). The name of the team is the MoonDogs. When I first introduced myself to the team I said: "MoonDogs, meet the old dog." They were a bit skeptical an old 64 year old could still play until about midway through the first game when I hit a line drive over the middle and managed to get a double out it. I still had them pinch run for me though the rest of the way as I did not want to over do it the first day.
@warrior-cat
I do love this good "report" WC.

I have just the team for you. Since 1931 the Kids and Kubs softball teams have been playing before large crowd's in St Pete. It is a club for "Old Timers" and these old boys are amazing. Check out the link below, especially the pictures. I can see a man of your talent knocking it out of the park. You have to be 74 years old to play so you have a few years to go. But it is something to think about LOL

original

https://kidsandkubs.webs.com/kids-and-kubs-history

original

The only thing good I can say about "Commanders" is that it reminds me of my favorite cartoon figure of the early 1960s. This guy always cracked me up...

"QUITE!"

(Back when I was a kid all you had to say was this, loud, and with a slight accent, and everyone would instantly know/remember Commander McBragg and laugh.)

Last edited:
Thanks all,

Had to know Jim. He has been a brother to me since I was 10 or 11 years old. For a long while only due to my brother working so much and taking flying lessons back then, he spent a lot of time with me though he dated and married my sister. His younger brother and I became good friends as well. (We were about the same age though I think I am a year older than his younger brother Richard. I knew his Mom and Dad and his sisters and brothers and their husbands and wives. I spent a lot of time with them. When he and my sister divorced after my Nieces were grown I never got over that. Jim and I still stayed in close touch. I sent him a bunch of things from Korea while I was there and have talked to him many times.

The tears flow uncontrollably at times now, since I heard from my Niece last night. I called her nearly immediately. I used to babysit her and her sister a whole lot so Jim and my sister could go out. I did that until I moved south for a couple months before I joined the Army. When I finished work and cleaned up I was over at there house a lot whenever he and my sister wanted to go out. He was just so good to me, I had to be good to him. (I just call my nieces collectively "Nieces" (As their individual name.). It is still that way...

He was a steel rigger at Great Lakes Steel Mill in River Rouge Michigan for 47 years before he retired. The dude was a climbers climber and got hurt several times but he was in a heck of a good shape always. One of the best artists I have ever seen as well. I used to sit and watch him doodle or draw. Put anything that would write in his hand and you had art.

What he died from was a broken heart. He never dated or remarried after my sister left him. (I guess 20 or more years ago.). He bought a house right next door to his that my Niece lives in with her husband and family so he was never alone. As you see he had a large family around him. It was my sisters loss but I know in my heart that is what took him too early.

The Lord giveth and The Lord taketh away. Blessed be the name of the Lord...

EDIT...........

I was about to post this and my Darlings phone rang. When she answered it, it was my son. He was in a head-on collision tonight with one of his friends. (Yes they were)... but, my son was letting his friend drive his car/SUV. (Totaled.)(All okay...except for the vehicles.)

I know you didn't have a choice but thank you for letting me indulge with the keyboard... It helps....

Blessed be the name of the Lord.....

God is so merciful and kind, and we sometimes take that from granted. That your son survived that collision and that you got to have your BIL in your life, and you in his is no small thing. How many times has God saved lives and people didn't give Him credit or even notice?

The day is coming when He will take His hands away, and restrain the storm no more. We need to remember His strength bursts forth when we are at our weakest and least proud, to be thankful and in prayer even as we go about our days, never missing the blessings He brings to us however small they may seem.

I'm sorry for your loss, and so very happy for your gain of a friend and brother for so long who I'm sure loved you very much.

Good morning, I hope you enjoy your sausage and eggs and grits. Washed down with strong , black coffee. Left overs are on the stove in you get hungry during the day.

The weather outside is delightful. We have 55° with winds SE at 5 mph. The humidity is low as we move on up to 80°. There is no cloud cover and we have sunny skies. A great day to be outdoors and soaking in the Vitamin D. Take care all

Prayers in behalf of @BBUK for the loss of his friend. May the Good Lord be with all as you enjoy this beautiful day.

original

I am really enjoying the posts on baseball. Like many boys of my age it was the most popular sport growing up. By far

I was able to see most of the greats from the late 40's, through the 50's and 60's by going to Spring Training games in the area. In a 50 mile radius we had some of the all time greats.

Yanks and Cardinals were in St Pete, Cincy Reds and White Sox in Tampa, Phillies in Clearwater, Detroit in Lakeland, Boston in Sarasota. Dodgers in Vero Beach.

Some of the players were Joe DiMaggio, Mickey Mantle, Yogi Berra, Whitey Ford, Stan Musial, Ted Kluszewski , Wally Post, Frankie Robinson, Gus Bell, Al Kaline, Ted Williams, Jackie Robinson, Roy Campanella, Pee Wee and so many more.

Living in Clearwater the ball park was only a mile from the house. All the boys in the neighborhood rode their bikes to school then headed on over to Jack Russell Stadium to catch Spring Training after the bell. What a life for a kid

That had to be pretty cool. Wonderful time to be a kid

Woke up to low 50s this morning. 59° as I drove past the horse farms an hour ago. Looking like rain isn't going to let it get much higher than this the rest of the day, but God has His plans (as KY quite often reminds us). Could dry up and be 75 or rain and low 60s. It's up to Him

Wow, just Wow... I rarely venture away from this thread but just amazing at the almost hate that comes out on this site. Some angry, angry people... Sorry, the bad is easy to find, look for the good.

Take a gander at this thread... Start at about post #100 if you've a mind to..

Wow, just Wow... I rarely venture away from this thread but just amazing at the almost hate that comes out on this site. Some angry, angry people... Sorry, the bad is easy to find, look for the good.

Take a gander at this thread... Start at about post #100 if you've a mind to..

Heh. Yeah. Another thread goes off the rails.

Some nasty people with a sad outlook. Just pitiful...
Our basketball program and fan base are about as low as I can recall in my lifetime. I am thankful we have a solid football team as it eases the pain. My family has pretty much given up and found other things to do during a UK basketball game. A sad state of affairs but Cal brings that out in people.

Things have to change

@warrior-cat
I do love this good "report" WC.

I have just the team for you. Since 1931 the Kids and Kubs softball teams have been playing before large crowd's in St Pete. It is a club for "Old Timers" and these old boys are amazing. Check out the link below, especially the pictures. I can see a man of your talent knocking it out of the park. You have to be 74 years old to play so you have a few years to go. But it is something to think about LOL

original

https://kidsandkubs.webs.com/kids-and-kubs-history

original
Wow, some of those guys were old. Eldridge being president one year and playing at 100 years old. I have 10 years to go just to be considered. In OKC they have seniors leagues and I have been contemplating playing there for a few years now but up until this year I have been playing regular leagues in Lawton OK. As long as teams keep calling for me to play, I will play. My old league team from last year had 4 people over 50 on it and one over 60 (me). We will now only play over 40's tournaments which they seem to have a lot of around here instead of league games.

As long as I have the fire for the game and can physically do it, I will continue. Stretching and martial arts training goes a long way to help me stay on the field.

Good morning! Been awake for about an hour. Made coffee, went to look at the thread BBUK posted, listening to the Jones show.

Jones says that he is now 95% sure that Oscar is coming back. He said he thinks they've found a way for him to profit off of his NIL. Monkey wrench would be some team deciding to take him in the first round.

Talk about football heads around the country are starting to say Levis might be the first qb taken in the draft next year. Definitely a first rounder. Build it and they will come.

If it doesn't rain before noon, I'll have to at least make some feeble attempt to mow the grass.

Good morning! Been awake for about an hour. Made coffee, went to look at the thread BBUK posted, listening to the Jones show.

Jones says that he is now 95% sure that Oscar is coming back. He said he thinks they've found a way for him to profit off of his NIL. Monkey wrench would be some team deciding to take him in the first round.

Talk about football heads around the country are starting to say Levis might be the first qb taken in the draft next year. Definitely a first rounder. Build it and they will come.

If it doesn't rain before noon, I'll have to at least make some feeble attempt to mow the grass.
If Levis goes high in the draft as a first rounder that would be huge. A lot of great high school QB's are going to take notice, especially if the Cats can continue to be strong in a very strong SEC. I am ready for kick off.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT