ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

Good morning! Only got 6 hours of snooze last night. Stayed up until 0300.

37° out here in the country and feels like 30°. Has a great start on working its way up to a balmy 48° later this afternoon. I did future radar and it very well could snow on us today at the football game. I hope it does.

I was at the AFC Championship game in Cincy back in 82 with my father. Wind chill hit -60° at times. The actual temp was around -10°. I spent most of the second half in a bathroom with about 100 other dudes watching on the small screens up in the corners. Dad stood in the same spot and watched the whole game. They called it the "Freezer Bowl".
See you at Walmart in about an hour. Go Cats!

Morning folks. Rainy 41.9°F on its way to 52°.

Yesterday afternoon I heard a lot of noise outside and went to look. In about 5 minutes it sleeted/hailed a bunch. It was goin in a few minutes as it was 44°.

278087690_4971760576272820_7834603984148921395_n.jpg
278034892_4971760696272808_5706554016549768378_n.jpg
278180084_4971760679606143_4158707613789230265_n.jpg

Sad news about the young man Dwayne Haskins, hit and killed by a car in Florida while working out with the Steelers.

I felt he was yet another example of a career badly damaged if not ruined by the pestilent regime established by toxic owner Danny Snyder in Washington. The then-Redskins drafted a guy who'd only had a very brief period of college success, then threw him to the wolves, and when things didn't immediately go well scapegoated him.

Sad news about the young man Dwayne Haskins, hit and killed by a car in Florida while working out with the Steelers.

I felt he was yet another example of a career badly damaged if not ruined by the pestilent regime established by toxic owner Danny Snyder in Washington. The then-Redskins drafted a guy who'd only had a very brief period of college success, then threw him to the wolves, and when things didn't immediately go well scapegoated him.
You know when I read the story I saw he was drafted by the Washington Commanders. That was the first I heard of the Washington Commanders and I thought it was Arena football or something or another.

I looked them up and they are an NFL team. That shows you how close I follow Pro Football.

This was a very tragic thing to happen to such a young athlete. Prayers for his family.

You know when I read the story I saw he was drafted by the Washington Commanders. That was the first I heard of the Washington Commanders and I thought it was Arena football or something or another.

I looked them up and they are an NFL team. That shows you how close I follow Pro Football.

This was a very tragic thing to happen to such a young athlete. Prayers for his family.
Yeah, “Commanders” was the lame compromise the Redskins ownership came up with after being bullied out of their historic name. Just a vanilla, meaningless name with no real associations to anything—maybe the Pentagon but the team didn’t make any effort to establish that link.

Yeah, “Commanders” was the lame compromise the Redskins ownership came up with after being bullied out of their historic name. Just a vanilla, meaningless name with no real associations to anything—maybe the Pentagon but the team didn’t make any effort to establish that link.
I missed it. I knew they changed Redskins but didn't hear about the Commanders. I am isolated I suppose

Have any of the D lived in the West in these high altitudes? Just curious and if it was hard to breathe.
Friends have a cabin outside Fairplay; aka, South Park, CO that's at 10,200' Stayed there a number of nights to ski at Breckenridge. Have to walk thru 1' + snow up to cabin that's about 50' above where have to park car. Carried two bags of luggage up - once only - and when I got there I couldn't catch my breath for over 5 minutes. Around 45 at the time. I never saw so many stars.

Friends have a cabin outside Fairplay; aka, South Park, CO that's at 10,200' Stayed there a number of nights to ski at Breckenridge. Have to walk thru 1' + snow up to cabin that's about 50' above where have to park car. Carried two bags of luggage up - once only - and when I got there I couldn't catch my breath for over 5 minutes. Around 45 at the time. I never saw so many stars.
This is how I felt at the top of Pike's Peak. I thought I was a goner and could see things passing away. I was in my mid 40's.

As we drove back down cars were stalled on the road overheating, some were in the runaway ramp because their brakes had burned out. Several were over the side of the hill because of lack of guard rails and slippery dirt roads. But I got a bumper sticker saying I made it to the top.

00-VGoiT3Y43HCVi5zFo8RP4qAIx90G3xGFQmQ4UHj7teSJK4ydhvOlIs2JHSmHU1PV

I never did find a good pitch to hit. :(
Stan Musial was my hero has a kid. Asked about hitting, he said, " I look for a baseball, then I knock the shit out of it." That was my problem, I'd knock the shit out of a bad pitch and then get to thinking I could do it all the time. Sadly, I could not.

Another Stan Musial quote after a reporter said, "You always seem happy. You smile all the time." Musial said, "You'd smile to if you knew you were going to hit .350."

One more from Mike Shannon. Mike said if you looked at guys bats, you'd see dings all up and down the bat. When you looked at Stan's bats, they were all within 6" of each other around the sweet spot on the bat.

This is how I felt at the top of Pike's Peak. I thought I was a goner and could see things passing away. I was in my mid 40's.

As we drove back down cars were stalled on the road overheating, some were in the runaway ramp because their brakes had burned out. Several were over the side of the hill because of lack of guard rails and slippery dirt roads. But I got a bumper sticker saying I made it to the top.
All the times I drove from COS to Fairplay & back I never did go up there. But it was always winter. Pretty drive up to Woodland Park from COS.

Last edited:
Stan Musial was my hero has a kid. Asked about hitting, he said, " I look for a baseball, then I knock the shit out of it." That was my problem, I'd knock the shit out of a bad pitch and then get to thinking I could do it all the time. Sadly, I could not.

Another Stan Musial quote after a reporter said, "You always seem happy. You smile all the time." Musial said, "You'd smile to if you knew you were going to hit .350."

One more from Mike Shannon. Mike said if you looked at guys bats, you'd see dings all up and down the bat. When you looked at Stan's bats, they were all within 6" of each other around the sweet spot on the bat.

The sign of a person who uses a lot of bats in comparison.

Home again! The game was brisk. The air was cold! Had a couple of periods with sunshine that lasted a couple of minutes at a time. Levis only played for 2 possessions. Only 5 months to go until the next game.

Happy Birthday @UK_fan_41102!
My son sent me a photo of the weather. He lives a few blocks south of the stadium and you can see the water tower from his house. The weather looked brutal to me but here I sit in my shorts and polo shirt.

He is excited and I am excited. It should be a fun season.

Stan was a great guy to idolize, Bernie. My dad always wanted to see the greats when they’d come through Cincinnati, so I saw Musial get one of his very last hits in late September 1963 on his last visit to Crosley. Very grateful to have that memory.

Always struck me as a weird coincidence that Musial and Ken Griffey Jr. were from the same small town in Pennsylvania, Donora - and had the same birthday! (November 21.)

Last edited:
Stan was a great guy to idolize, Bernie. My dad always wanted to see the greats when they’d come through Cincinnati, so I was Musial get one of his very last hits in 1963 on his last visit to Crosley. Very grateful to have that memory.

Always struck me as a weird coincidence that Musial and Ken Griffey Jr. were from the same small town in Pennsylvania, Donora - and had the same birthday! (November 21.)
Taking it further, Stan was a high school teammate of Jr grandfather. Bill James (father of sabermetrics) said Jr was the second best left handed hitting, left handed throwing outfielder to come out of Donora. Stan's first nickname was the Donora Greyhound because of his speed. James said in a ten year period from the early forties through the early fifties, Stan was the best player in the NL 8 times. Once he was in the Navy for WW2 and the other he was second best.

Thanks BBUK. Fort Huachua is a approximately 4,800 feet in elevation and the Air Force Academy is about 6,923 feet. Nearby Colorado Springs is not quite as high.

I think my son is wise taking her out there a week or so before she gets started in training. He will run with her and pace her to get her acclimated a little quicker.

I can't take those altitudes. I lived most of my life on earth no higher than 40 or 50 feet above sea level. I am a low lander and prefer the swamps to snow peaked mountains. I enjoy looking at them on TV. It takes a special person to live that high in the air. I don't quite make it.
High altitude activity, much like endurance swimming , is a breathing exercise. She'll do fine.

I grew up knowing river bottom swampbillys and can tell 2,000 miles away here in Horseville, with your Cracker affection for outlaw cowboy music, bluegrass & blues/gospel indicates a more classy genuine American CowBilly so hearty "MaaOOOO" to you.

8913d64ba360d952d6032c025c16c545.jpg

Last edited:
Taking it further, Stan was a high school teammate of Jr grandfather. Bill James (father of sabermetrics) said Jr was the second best left handed hitting, left handed throwing outfielder to come out of Donora. Stan's first nickname was the Donora Greyhound because of his speed. James said in a ten year period from the early forties through the early fifties, Stan was the best player in the NL 8 times. Once he was in the Navy for WW2 and the other he was second best.
Baseball stories. I love it. Not to hijack talk about Stan the Man, but since Donora came up, I’ll admit I was always fascinated by Junior. I saw him on a MLB diamond at Rivetfront back in the 1970s - the Reds had a traditional Fathers-Sons game when Griffey Sr. was in Cincy and my dad always enjoyed going to those.

Years later when Junior played his first couple years in the Bigs, I was living in a part of Maryland not that far from Baltimore and had buddies who were huge Orioles fans. I saw Griffey in a game hit two mammoth HRs, then run down a ball and make a leaping catch that seemed to defy the laws of physics. Just in terms of raw talent, watching him in his early days must have been like watching Mays or Mantle in the 1950s before Mickey was first injured.

Baseball stories. I love it. Not to hijack talk about Stan the Man, but since Donora came up, I’ll admit I was always fascinated by Junior. I saw him on a MLB diamond at Rivetfront back in the 1970s - the Reds had a traditional Fathers-Sons game when Griffey Sr. was in Cincy and my dad always enjoyed going to those.

Years later when Junior played his first couple years in the Bigs, I was living in a part of Maryland not that far from Baltimore and had buddies who were huge Orioles fans. I saw Griffey in a game hit two mammoth HRs, then run down a ball and make a leaping catch that seemed to defy the laws of physics. Just in terms of raw talent, watching him in his early days must have been like watching Mays or Mantle in the 1950s before Mickey was first injured.
Saw Jr. play in HS for Cincy Moeller.

Years later when Junior played his first couple years in the Bigs, I was living in a part of Maryland not that far from Baltimore and had buddies who were huge Orioles fans.
Camden Yards is the park I've always wanted to visit & haven't. These days I assume you need to be packin. I've been to 14 MLB parks counting three in Cincy.

High altitude activity, much like endurance swimming , is a breathing exercise. She'll do fine.

I grew up knowing river bottom swampbillys and can tell 2,000 miles away here in Horseville, with your Cracker affection for outlaw cowboy music, bluegrass & blues/gospel indicates more a classy genuine American CowBilly so hearty "MaaOOOO" to you.

Youse a trip...,😅

I grew up knowing river bottom swampbillys and can tell 2,000 miles away here in Horseville, with your Cracker affection for outlaw cowboy music, bluegrass & blues/gospel indicates more a classy genuine American CowBilly so hearty "MaaOOOO" to you.

I love you brother, you got me down to a "T". That swamp is heaven on earth and when I get through the Pearly Gates I am going to tell St Peter he can keep his mansions, I want a swamp full of gators and Cracker Cattle!

Who has time to mess around in a mansion in heaven anyway. I will be exploring a million stars riding my Cracker Horse. Yep

I love you brother, you got me down to a "T". That swamp is heaven on earth and when I get through the Pearly Gates I am going to tell St Peter he can keep his mansions, I want a swamp full of gators and Cracker Cattle!

Who has time to mess around in a mansion in heaven anyway. I will be exploring a million stars riding my Cracker Horse. Yep
Didn't St. Peter beat the Cats this year in the first round?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT