ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

@MdWIldcat55
Very sorry to hear of your loss. I'm hearing about way too many deaths of young and promising people these days. I'm afraid there will be more to come. Safe travels and may His peace be upon you and yours
Thanks Girthang.

And good morning to the D-League. While the occasion was sad, it was great to have my older daughter here with her husband. We went out to a nice restaurant in DC for lunch, then another one over in the Maryland suburbs for dinner. My wife and younger daughter were also there. I went to sleep last night listening to my two daughters -- who have different mothers and are a decade apart in age -- laughing together like true sisters as they chatted down in my living room. That's a great feeling.

Are you still interested in meeting up for the Blue/White football game Saturday? Bertfan and I will be there and anyone else is certainly welcome.
Thanks for checking with me. We have postponed our trip to late May. My granddaughter is graduating from high school. You guys should have fun and I hope the weather is nice at game time.

It will be on TV at 1:00 so I will anxiously tune in. I am pretty excited about football, basketball not so much.

PRR%20I1%204484%20at%20Altoona%20PA%205-16-1937.JPG

Morning Legionnaires! In before the clock.

Exercising done, house chores done, showering done, now I will be rigging up some new lures to try out tomorrow in hopes to change my luck so far this year.

Got a text from a man whose son plays on a softball team in OKC and wants me to come on Sunday to pitch for his team. I have not said yes yet since I have not practiced or played any since this time last year. Plus, the drive to the ball park is a little over an hour from my house. Want to play, but not sure whether I should make the trip.

We'll try our baby again today without IVs. If she crashes again, which usually happens within 36 hours after she comes off IVs, it means another trip to the emergency room. Fingers crossed. She's laying here on the floor next to me right now. Fed her once a few minutes ago. Must keep meals small and many. Feeding her more shredded boiled chicken in just a few.

Happy Friday, y'all.
Animal nursing is exhausting.

TGIF!

Last edited:

Morning Legionnaires! In before the clock.

Exercising done, house chores done, showering done, now I will be rigging up some new lures to try out tomorrow in hopes to change my luck so far this year.

Got a text from a man whose son plays on a softball team in OKC and wants me to come on Sunday to pitch for his team. I have not said yes yet since I have not practiced or played any since this time last year. Plus, the drive to the ball park is a little over an hour from my house. Want to play, but not sure whether I should make the trip.
I don't know how much you enjoy playing, but if you really like it: There will come a time in your life where for whatever reason, you can no longer play. If the thrill of playing is still there, take advantage of it while you can.

I don't know how much you enjoy playing, but if you really like it: There will come a time in your life where for whatever reason, you can no longer play. If the thrill of playing is still there, take advantage of it while you can.
It's been 22 years since I last played. Pulled a hamstring early in the game but it wasn't bad enough to sit me down. First time I went to bat I took off for first and it pulled the rest of the way. I took it as a sign I was done.

It's been 22 years since I last played. Pulled a hamstring early in the game but it wasn't bad enough to sit me down. First time I went to bat I took off for first and it pulled the rest of the way. I took it as a sign I was done.

Last I played was in San Antonio for the church we attended. I kind of coached but played two full games. Pitched and played first. I went 9 for 9 but had no power left period. Hand eye coordination is still off the charts even now.

When I said no power I meant it. Had a tryout with the Tigers at old Tiger Stadium in Detroit and hit one over the 442 mark in near dead center field. In a church league I couldn't reach the fence so settled for seeing eye blooper singles and doubles.

Last edited:
Amen, I miss playing competitive sports. From age 30 to 60 I played competitive racquet ball. I played league soft ball as soon as I got out of the Army until my mid 50's.

Plus messing around with basketball, touch football. etc. I raised my kids to be sports minded and my son is over 50 years old and still runs. He has been in the Philadelphia marathon and Chicago marathon. That qualified him for the Boston Marathon but Covid messed that up.

His daughter won the Girls Kentucky Cross Country State Championship this year and will take her running skills to the U.S. Air Force Academy in June. He will take her out there a week or two ahead to run with her to get use to the altitude change.

Have any of the D lived in the West in these high altitudes? Just curious and if it was hard to breathe. I drove up Pike's Peak in Colorado, 14,000 feet and felt like I was passing out when I got to the top.

Last edited:
When I was a young teenager, I spent hours everyday throwing a golf ball against a rock wall to practice catching ground balls. Over time, I literally caught millions of them. The last game I ever played, I was 37 and had a bum leg and shoulder. I'd also just started a business which was requiring all my time. A 25 year college coach told my teammates I was the best third baseman he had ever seen. I still miss it.

Last I played was in San Antonio for the church we attended. I kind of coached but played two full games. Pitched and played first. I went 9 for 9 but had no power left period. Hand eye coordination is still off the charts even now.

When I said no power I meant it. Had a tryout with the Tigers at old Tiger Stadium in Detroit and hit one over the 442 mark in near dead center field. In a church league I couldn't reach the fence so settled for seeing eye a blooper singles and doubles.
I had decent power till I messed my leg up in wreck. After that I couldn't step into the pitch and get my whole body weight into the swing. Became an arm hitter after that. It was kind of embarressing.

Have any of the D lived in the West in these high altitudes? Just curious and if it was hard to breathe. I drove up Pike's Peak in Colorado, 14,000 feet and felt like I was passing out when I got to the top.
The highest I ever lived and worked was out in Flagstaff AZ. I think that is about 7000ft. I was only about 22 so it didn't affect me that I can remember. The highest I've been is about 8500ft going across the Rockies on I-80.

Now that I have COPD, I'll try and keep it under 1000ft.

When I was a young teenager, I spent hours everyday throwing a golf ball against a rock wall to practice catching ground balls. Over time, I literally caught millions of them. The last game I ever played, I was 37 and had a bum leg and shoulder. I'd also just started a business which was requiring all my time. A 25 year college coach told my teammates I was the best third baseman he had ever seen. I still miss it.

When I was old enough to hold a cut off broom stick I hit bottle caps. I hit pebbles, I hit feathers, I hit any small thing I could find.. Little did I know until a few years ago that is what Hank Aaron credited to his hitting prowess (A broomstick and bottle caps). I did because I didn't have to chase those bottles caps far. You could blast them and they'd only go a few feet unless you caught it just right and zinged it. I used a Dave Kingman 33 ounce bat when I played. Loved the thin handle. (When I could find them or could afford to buy one.). Anything I could reach, I could hit and hit well. Fair arm and good glove, never had any legs, slow as molasses in the winter. My last year in Legion ball I hit either .542 or .572 I really cannot remember but one of those.

Last edited:
It fell into the pockets of politicians. Those things are a lot bigger than they look like on the outside and money never seems to find the bottom.

I hope the slant downward isn't foreshadowing for things to come in UK basketball

That is what the sigh was for...these last two seasons have been nightmares... Just horrible.

Last edited:
It is a rainy 40.8°F on our way to a boiling 46°.

I have Arizona company Saturday and Massachusetts company a week from today. I may be busy!

1 week from April 15. My CPA has not called yet. I don't know if that is good or bad?

You all have a good Friday.

I have mine almost completed Sir. I made mine really complicated this year as I have a home office and have worked from my home at work all year from my main job along with running a couple small businesses out of my house. (Real small) Dividing up the costs has been the headache. Even with the tax program it has been a nightmare. I always pay but what I pay is the key...

When I was old enough to hold a cut off broom stick I used to hit bottle caps. I hit pebbles, I hit feathers, I hit any small thing I could find.. Little did I know until a few years ago that is what Hank Aaron credited to his hitting prowess. I did because I didn't have to chase those bottles caps far. You could blast them and they'd only go a few feet unless you caught it just right and zinged it. I used a Dave Kingman 33 ounce bat when I played. Loved the thin handle. (When I could find them or could afford to buy one.). Anything I could reach, I could hit and hit well. Fair arm and good glove, never had any legs, slow as molasses in the winter. My last year in Legion ball I hit either .542 or .572 I really cannot remember but one of those.
I had no concept of getting a good pitch to hit. I just wanted to swing the bat. If I were an opposing manager I would have told my pitcher "Throw that guy a strike and you are out of the game." Luckily for me, ever now and then, someone was dumb enough to throw me something in the strike zone. Talking about a thin handle bat, Ernie Banks pretty much started that. When people saw a skinny kid like him could hit forty homers by whipping a thin handle bat through the zone, it became popular.

Amen, I miss playing competitive sports. From age 30 to 60 I played competitive racquet ball. I played league soft ball as soon as I got out of the Army until my mid 50's.

Plus messing around with basketball, touch football. etc. I raised my kids to be sports minded and my son is over 50 years old and still runs. He has been in the Philadelphia marathon and Chicago marathon. That qualified him for the Boston Marathon but Covid messed that up.

His daughter won the Girls Kentucky Cross Country State Championship this year and will take her running skills to the U.S. Air Force Academy in June. He will take her out there a week or two ahead to run with her to get use to the altitude change.

At Fort Huachuca Sir you didn't do PT for two weeks back then to get acclimated. I remember trying to lightly run from the small exchange across the field to our barracks the first day I was there and ran it seemed fifty or so steps and I was gasping. (At the time I was able to run road guard when at Goodfellow AFB in San Angelo, Tx. and went straight from there to Fort Huachuca.) I was seriously gasping for air, not even deep breathing. Never felt that since and hope I never do again.

At Fort Huachuca Sir you didn't do PT for two weeks back then to get acclimated. I remember trying to lightly run from the small exchange across the field to our barracks the first day I was there and ran it seemed fifty or so steps and I was gasping. (At the time I was able to run road guard when at Goodfellow AFB in San Angelo, Tx. and went straight from there to Fort Huachuca.) I was seriously gasping for air, not even deep breathing. Never felt that since and hope I never do again.
Thanks BBUK. Fort Huachua is a approximately 4,800 feet in elevation and the Air Force Academy is about 6,923 feet. Nearby Colorado Springs is not quite as high.

I think my son is wise taking her out there a week or so before she gets started in training. He will run with her and pace her to get her acclimated a little quicker.

I can't take those altitudes. I lived most of my life on earth no higher than 40 or 50 feet above sea level. I am a low lander and prefer the swamps to snow peaked mountains. I enjoy looking at them on TV. It takes a special person to live that high in the air. I don't quite make it.

Good morning from ATX. Currently 44°F and clear. Wind speed predicted to increase soon. Today's high expected around 88°F. We're under extreme fire risk.

My baby good this morning. She only woke me up twice through the night. Still has diarrhea, but at least no throwing up, fingers crossed. Medicine seems to be working.

Edit: Blue-White Spring game at 1 pm EST today.

Plan on walking a little later. Must make a run for some more raw chicken.

Wishing happiness and health for all our fellow D-League members.

Last edited:
How did the ML baseball season arrived without me knowing the National League had folded on the DH? I’m truly bummed - hate the DH. Plus, catchers have some sort of device that transmits the pitch call to the pitcher and middle infielders - no more signaling with fingers.

Still, always special for a new season to arrive.
Guess we won't be hearing people beating on trash cans during Astros games anymore.

Good morning folks. Beautiful spring day around DC. Lovely morning for a hike. Foxes, beaver, deer, hawks and herons out today.

We’re heading down into the city today to have lunch at a favorite restaurant with my daughter and her husband at a Capitol Hill restaurant. That’s the neighborhood where I lived as a young man and I still love that part of DC.

Hope it’s a good day for all.

Good morning! Only got 6 hours of snooze last night. Stayed up until 0300.

37° out here in the country and feels like 30°. Has a great start on working its way up to a balmy 48° later this afternoon. I did future radar and it very well could snow on us today at the football game. I hope it does.

I was at the AFC Championship game in Cincy back in 82 with my father. Wind chill hit -60° at times. The actual temp was around -10°. I spent most of the second half in a bathroom with about 100 other dudes watching on the small screens up in the corners. Dad stood in the same spot and watched the whole game. They called it the "Freezer Bowl".

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT