ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

Last 3 tunes I've heard. I let youtube music play on the stereo all day on a day like this. There's no telling what kind of music will play next. I don't play anything that I know and go for the channels that claim to be "audiophile". I use Shazam on my phone when I hear a tune I like. It always finds it. Still amazed by that.

Last 3 tunes I've heard. I let youtube music play on the stereo all day on a day like this. There's no telling what kind of music will play next. I don't play anything that I know and go for the channels that claim to be "audiophile". I use Shazam on my phone when I hear a tune I like. It always finds it. Still amazed by that.

Those are some good tunes Bert. I thought that middle one was going to be a remake of the old Don Gibson classic, but it was solid in its own right. Still, Don Gibson's always worth a listen.

I hate to hear these stories for you guys. We don't realize how much trouble it is to take care of ourselves until we start taking care of someone else. I made it through quite a bit, and after my father passed it took me quite a while to ramp down from being on point for so long.

Most of you would consider me a conservative, among various and sundried other things, but I think we need to do things differently in this country. Social Security tax should come out of everyone's paycheck regardless of how much they make. If we would have done it like that from the start there would be no talk about SS running dry.

There would be enough money so retired people don't spend a huge part of the money they need to eat and pay for shelter, on medicine. I'm not calling for socialized medicine, per se. I'm saying that with all the money we have access to, there is no reason for the elderly and their caretakers to suffer undue burdens while we freely throw money at so many other countries and people.
I agree with all of this. For some strange reason America spends more resources on everybody else in the world than we should. Those resources should go to our own. Some people don't know a person pays for Medicare every month even after retirement

I was the one my father always called on when he was in his last years and months. He wanted me by his side and I was more than willing to be there because dad did not abuse my love and care. In his last year he was in and out of the hospital so many times his insurance wanted to cut him off. Dad had kidney failure, was on dialysis and had congestive heart failure. I saw a 6' 1" , 200 pound man who was strong and athletic waste away. A week or so before he died we were alone and he said I am ready to say good-bye. I just want to leave in peace and he asked my to promise when the time came not to hook him up to all of those tubes and keep him alive with no quality of life left in him. I promised I would.

His last day on earth he requested the hospital call me and ask me to come to his room. It was 4:30 A.M. I arrived and a nurse was just leaving the room. Daddy and I were alone and he said he would not live to see another day and wanted to say good-bye with just me and him. We talked and he said, remember no tubes. He repeated he had had a great life and done about everything a man could want to do on earth. He was thankful and happy.

I went home and got my mother and called my sister and brother. About an hour passed and a doctor came in and said no dialysis today and left. Mom went down to the break area and got a cup of coffee. In about 10 minutes dad's breathing got really strained and I asked him if he wanted me to call for the nurse or a doctor. He said no just give him a sip of water. I did and he died within a minute or so. I sat next to him and and it was just me and my daddy. He was resting in peace and got his final wish, no tubes to keep him alive. In about 30 minutes the nurse came in for her regular rounds and he was dead. She lit into me and said why didn't you call we could have extended his life. Then a doctor came in and read me the riot act. He was really mad. I told both of them to cool it, I did what my daddy requested and our family has no regrets. He was ready to go and had no fear.

My mother lived to be 95, lived alone and died in her sleep. My wife's mother lived to be 97 and had 10 kids. They all cared for her in her final years. My wife's daddy dropped dead mowing the grass. So all in all we had a peaceful end to our parents lives. No financial concerns and no assisted living. Life is good and God is great.

My prayers to all on the D who are going through the final stage of life with your loved ones on this earth. It is not easy. Every day I live I realize that day for me is drawing near. But until it comes I will live my life fully and be thankful for each moment. AND NO TUBES FOR ME EITHER. They always said I was just like my daddy.

Last edited:
Those are some good tunes Bert. I thought that middle one was going to be a remake of the old Don Gibson classic, but it was solid in its own right. Still, Don Gibson's always worth a listen.
Don Gibson is another one high on my all time list. He wrote some super hits including Oh Lonesome Me, Sweet Dreams, I Can't Stop Loving You and on and on and on.

I agree with all of this. For some strange reason America spends more resources on everybody else in the world than we should. Those resources should go to our own. Some people don't know a person pays for Medicare every month even after retirement

I was the one my father always called on when he was in his last years and months. He wanted me by his side and I was more than willing to be there because dad did not abuse my love and care. In his last year he was in and out of the hospital so many times his insurance wanted to cut him off. Dad had kidney failure, was on dialysis and had congestive heart failure. I saw a 6' 1" , 200 pound man who was strong and athletic waste away. A week or so before he died we were alone and he said I am ready to say good-bye. I just want to leave in peace and he asked my to promise when the time came not to hook him up to all of those tubes and keep him alive with no quality of life left in him. I promised I would.

His last day on earth he requested the hospital call me and ask me to come to his room. It was 4:30 A.M. I arrived and a nurse was just leaving the room. Daddy and I were alone and he said he would not live to see another day and wanted to say good-bye with just me and him. We talked and he said, remember no tubes. He repeated he had had a great life and done about everything a man could want to do on earth. He was thankful and happy.

I went home and got my mother and called my sister and brother. About an hour passed and a doctor came in and said no dialysis today and left. Mom went down to the break area and got a cup of coffee. In about 10 minutes dad's breathing got really strained and I asked him if he wanted me to call for the nurse or a doctor. He said no just give him a sip of water. I did and he died within a minute or so. I sat next to him and and it was just me and my daddy. He was resting in peace and got his final wish, no tubes to keep him alive. In about 30 minutes the nurse came in for her regular rounds and he was dead. She lit into me and said why didn't you call we could have extended his life. Then a doctor came in and read me the riot act. He was really mad. I told both of them to cool it, I did what my daddy requested and our family has no regrets. He was ready to go and had no fear.

My mother lived to be 95, lived alone and died in her sleep. My wife's mother lived to be 97 and had 10 kids. They all cared for her in her final years. My wife's daddy dropped dead mowing the grass. So all in all we had a peaceful end to our parents lives. No financial concerns and no assisted living. Life is good and God is great.

My prayers to all on the D who are going through the final stage of life with your loved ones on this earth. It is not easy. Every day I live I realize that day for me is drawing near. But until it comes I will live my life fully and be thankful for each moment. AND NO TUBES FOR ME EITHER. They always said I was just like my daddy.
I was fortunate enough to have those conversations with Dad as well. After we talked he went to sleep. I feel like he was contented knowing he was going to meet Mom. I asked the doctor to not let him regain consciousness and he said he would take care of it.

I hated to let him go, but his quality of life was hanging by a thread.

No offense to Merle & Willie but they just don't have the same haunting angelic touch Emmy Lou had in her 1977 fabulous rendition of Pancho and Lefty. I know, I know, I fell into a hole. 1977 1980 1982 Worn out LPs & cassettes tapes will do that to you. I've never seen this stuff live. I was chasing birds, so right now I'm ecstatic. I'll get out of here soon. Liking music that takes me some place I'm not. Right now I'm still listening to her and liking more than I remember.​

I know some of this sounds harsh but, I took care of my mother's and stepfather's bills when they were down and out until they got back on their feet but, my stepfather squandered much of what he made and as I found out not too long ago had a woman or two on the side he was giving money too. Even after my mother died in 2012, I helped him out when he ask to the tune of around 10k or more to help him fix his place. He wound up squandering that money so I quit that. He stole the money one of my brothers put in the funeral home to bury my mother so, me and one of the others paid for the funeral. Bottom line is he did not prepare for the end times monetarily and I can't do that to my sons or daughter. My wife's mother quit caring or trying after their father left them so the girls (three of them) all quit school in New York and went to work and have been taking care of their mother and brother ever since. Now 2 of them have since left' one living with their father not working and the other living with her boyfriend (both not working) and his mothers (yes mothers) with the promise of being given the home (paid for) after they die. Neither of them help their mother or brother now so, it is on my wife unless they move to Florida.

Last edited:
I know some of this sounds harsh but . . .
fish.png

Eat, sleep, fish & repeat.

Good morning from ATX. Currently 57°F and clear. Today's high expected at around 78°F.

Learned about under-cooking chicken last night. Pup knows when under-cooked and refuses eating. Live and learn. She goes back for more fluids this morning. Fingers crossed for a good weekend with no drama or emergencies.

Reds at Braves tonight. I may watch a few innings.

Wishing happiness and health for all our fellow D-League members.

fish.png

Eat, sleep, fish & repeat.
Yeah, that helps out a lot. Will go again this weekend. Get rather ticked sometimes thinking about that crap and fishing helps. Had some new plastic worms a bit smaller than my normal with bulbed ends come in yesterday so, I will try them next outing. Can't go today, have too much to do. Plus, winds 35-45mph with some gusting up to 60mph or more from 0900-1900.

Good Morning April 7th D League

Today is probably one of the most important dates in my life because on this day my wife of 55 years said she would travel down the road of life with me. I was a broke Buck Sgt in the Army with no money, no possessions other than a few guns, my 64 VW bug and a couple of shirts, pants and underwear. Oh I had a class ring. But she stepped out in faith and down the road we went. In my eyes she will always be that Sweet Blue Eyed Kentucky girl. Those 60 hairstyles are one for the ages.

00-VGoiT3Y43HCVi5zFo8RP4qAIx90G3xGFQmQ4UHj7teRAacVcLK-X0PtgRHSEsJnDUnDnu4gHHWpfyYq5WwzmNg

This is my wife's favorite Waylon song and it is appropriate to celebrate 55 years together. I love you girl.

Last edited:

Today is probably one of the most important dates in my life because on this day my wife of 55 years said she would travel down the road of life with me. I was a broke Buck Sgt in the Army with no money, no possessions other than a few guns, my 64 VW bug and a couple of shirts, pants and underwear. Oh I had a class ring. But she stepped out in faith and down the road we went. In my eyes she was always be that Sweet Blue Eyed Kentucky girl. Those 60 hairstyles are one for the ages.

00-VGoiT3Y43HCVi5zFo8RP4qAIx90G3xGFQmQ4UHj7teRAacVcLK-X0PtgRHSEsJnDUnDnu4gHHWpfyYq5WwzmNg

This is my wife's favorite Waylon song and it is appropriate to celebrate 55 years together. I love you girl.

Wonderful photo Sawnee. You are certainly a lucky man. Congratulations and many more happy anniversaries.

Good morning D-League.

Opening day for the baseball season. Not what it was when I was 8 or so and schools in Northern Kentucky shut down so families could go to the Opening Day parade in Cincinnati. Money killed that -too expensive to allow the oldest professional franchise the right to kick off the season.

But it’ll still be baseball. Go Reds.

Today is probably one of the most important dates in my life because on this day my wife of 55 years said she would travel down the road of life with me. I was a broke Buck Sgt in the Army with no money, no possessions other than a few guns, my 64 VW bug and a couple of shirts, pants and underwear. Oh I had a class ring. But she stepped out in faith and down the road we went. In my eyes she will always be that Sweet Blue Eyed Kentucky girl. Those 60 hairstyles are one for the ages.

Congrats to you and your lovely wife! Our 33rd is tomorrow.

Congratulations to you both, and may God continue to bless you!

Good Morning and Bless you all,

While I am thankful, I know we all have our crosses to bear. I do keep members here in prayer daily. Suffice it to say I am thankful for each of you. You give me what I need without even realizing it. I am content in my life but not satisfied. I know what I am not afraid of, not living. I submit to God in that area trusting his promise. (I too am dealing with an older Sister who is having issues with her mental state.) I am thankful to have an older brother to share in the burden of this situation.)

Who knows but God how I will be and in what shape when God calls me home. The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away, Blessed be the name of the Lord. I cherish that deeply in my heart and remain sober in my life and thoughts due to my deep love of God and knowing where I have been along with God's presence and control.

Bless all your days today. It is a good day.

God Bless you both. ...

Yeah, that helps out a lot. Will go again this weekend. Get rather ticked sometimes thinking about that crap and fishing helps.
So does bird watching. That's how I know when and where. Best understood when alone sitting quietly. Animals that shy from potential predators teach the skills needed to juggle the nuts.
b6e52ac37565f955e3133bea91f40c58.gif

Bless all your days today. It is a good day.
Everyday starts perfect . . .
d7n78wbz_o.gif

Last edited:
Bittersweet lunch coming up. My oldest daughter, the 37-year-old professor at Kansas University, and her husband are meeting me at my downtown DC office. That's the sweet part.

They are in town because her husband's 35-year-old brother, a Georgetown-university trained lawyer, died last year at his Washington apartment from an apparent brain aneurysm. Terrible. And they couldn't have a proper memorial service for him until now because of COVID concerns for some of the older members of his family.

As it says in Matthew, "No one knows the day or the hour..."

Bittersweet lunch coming up. My oldest daughter, the 37-year-old professor at Kansas University, and her husband are meeting me at my downtown DC office. That's the sweet part.

They are in town because her husband's 35-year-old brother, a Georgetown-university trained lawyer, died last year at his Washington apartment from an apparent brain aneurysm. Terrible. And they couldn't have a proper memorial service for him until now because of COVID concerns for some of the older members of his family.

As it says in Matthew, "No one knows the day or the hour..."

OT, you don't per chance work at 1400 do you? (I ask because where I worked I ran into a man several times that wore a UK lanyard and we briefly spoke a few times.) I don't remember exactly but through your pictures you remind me of him a little. (It's been a couple to few years)

OT, you don't per chance work at 1400 do you? (I ask because where I worked I ran into a man several times that wore a UK lanyard and we briefly spoke a few times.) I don't remember exactly but through your pictures you remind me of him a little.
BBUK - I work at 601 E Street, NW, which is the so-called Penn Quarter, just up the street from the National Archives (where I worked in 1979 as a 22-year-old, ironically.)

BBUK - I work at 601 E Street, NW, which is the so-called Penn Quarter, just up the street from the National Archives (where I worked in 1979 as a 22-year-old, ironically.)

Thanks I tried not to give too much detail. If that was you (It was not), you were a little stand-offish but nothing near rude. ;) I graduated High School in River Rouge Michigan in 79.

Thanks I tried not to give too much detail. If that was you (It was not), you were a little stand-offish but nothing near rude. ;) I graduated High School in River Rouge Michigan in 79.
My wife worked for the Detroit Free Press when she was in her 20s - the late 1980s- and I visited her there a few times. Don’t remember River Rouge.

My wife worked for the Detroit Free Press when she was in her 20s - the late 1980s- and I visited her there a few times. Don’t remember River Rouge.

I grew up in River Rouge (Next to the Rouge River)(Red River)(Runs into the Detroit River that runs near the area you mentioned.) lived in the slums of Detroit, Delray (Right on the Detroit River), River Rouge, and near the area that was "projected" as famous by the great American M&M (That's how it sounds anyway.). I say it half jokingly but I thought I was black until I got my drivers license. Much respect for all my decent friends I still stay in contact with from time to time. (God-given friends I might add.)

I grew up a hood. The Lord had my heart though and thankfully to him I was "saved" from the extreme wickedness that ran amuck in those days. My Lord was ALWAYS on time for me. He STILL is ALWAYS on time. The only fear I have is losing my family. I act accordingly.

I remember a time when a bad terror guy (I know his name and he was punished and is very probably dead by now.) when I was 13 or 14 held a knife that I remember as the size of Rambo's knife but it must have been smaller told me he was sticking it in my heart and through it. What happened then was, as he lunged he veered off into another known criminal and the knife plunged through his heart. I will stop. Yes, God is alive. I do not think it, I know it. (Many more of these, way too many.)

Not discounting anyone but when you hear me or see me type I am thankful..... I AM!

Last edited:
You hit a home run with the bases loaded. Congrats and many more.
Same to you.

Some of us get lucky, don't we? Even when we don't deserve it. However, you were just a broke Buck Sgt; but I was a rich night desk clerk pulling down a massive $1.05 and hour and I had a massive bank account of $75.00 when she married me. (That is faith.)

My Kentucky girl has brown eyes. The brown covers up the Barren County meanness! :) Sherry had raven hair. It was so black that sometimes it was shiny blue. Her skin was brown and perfect (8% Persian). I spent the first two years, when she would allow me, looking for bad skin. I never found it.

On skin: every darned wrinkle in her skin now is one that I put there!!!!!

We were total opposites, but as the years roll by we become more and more like each other. Hell, we finish each others sentences.

Girls, if you find the right one, are God's gift to men.

Last edited:
I grew up in River Rouge (Next to the Rouge River)(Red River)(Runs into the Detroit River that runs near the area you mentioned.) lived in the slums of Detroit, Delray (Right on the Detroit River), River Rouge, and near the area that was "projected" as famous by the great American M&M (That's how it sounds anyway.). I say it half jokingly but I thought I was black until I got my drivers license. Much respect for all my decent friends I still stay in contact with from time to time. (God-given friends I might add.)

I grew up a hood. The Lord had my heart though and thankfully to him I was "saved" from the extreme wickedness that ran amuck in those days. My Lord was ALWAYS on time for me. He STILL is ALWAYS on time. The only fear I have is losing my family. I act accordingly.

I remember a time when a bad terror guy (I know his name and he was punished and is very probably dead by now.) when I was 13 or 14 held a knife that I remember as the size of Rambo's knife but it must have been smaller told me he was sticking it in my heart and through it. What happened then was, as he lunged he veered off into another known criminal and the knife plunged through his heart. I will stop. Yes, God is alive. I do not think it, I know it. (Many more of these, way too many.)

Not discounting anyone but when you hear or see my type I am thankful..... I AM!
When I was a DI at Knox the ghetto of Detroit was a prime area for our recruits. Usually a judge said go to the Army or go to jail. In my two years as a DI we must have received 25% of our new trainees from Detroit. 95% were black gang members. I was a DI during the Detroit riots and had a trainee who was AWOL get trapped in an apartment. The National Guard was shooting 50 cal. machine gun rounds into the building. He begged to be returned to Fort Knox. I met him with an MP at the Louisville airport and off to jail he went. He was thankful. Well at least until he got to Fort Leavenworth.

One of the recruits from Detroit was dangerous and his record in civilian life was really bad. We were warned in advance and when we picked him up at the Reception Center our Field First Sgt, a black man from Sledge, Mississippi, said this boy is mine. The 1st Sgt moved a bunk next to him and started the bad boy on a training program. After each day the recruit was given a 9 pound hammer and led to the training field where a concrete slab awaited him. Starting on day one he had to bust it up until it was fine pebbles. That took about two weeks. Once he busted that up another slab was poured and a hammer awaited him. For six weeks he did this. This recruit soon got with the program and finished number one in physical conditioning and number one on the final PT test. He became a model recruit and the F words were replaced with Yes Sir and No Sir. The last I heard about him was 30 or 40 years ago and his rank was Sgt and he was a lifer. He won a medal in Vietnam.

Now the majority of them were good recruits, paid attention and did well with the exception of the rifle range. It was a challenge to get them qualified. I usually paired them up with someone from Kentucky or Tennessee. All it takes is Tender Loving Care, that and a kick in the butt. Move trainee, move!

Same to you.

Some of us get lucky, don't we? Even when we don't deserve it. However, you were just a broke Buck Sgt; but I was a rich night desk clerk pulling down a massive $1.05 and hour and I had a massive bank account of $75.00 when she married me. (That is faith.)

My Kentucky girl has brown eyes. The brown covers up the Barren County meanness! :) Sherry had raven hair. It was so black that sometimes it was shiny blue. Her skin was brown and perfect (8% Persian). I spent the first two years, when she would allow me, looking for bad skin. I never found it.

On skin: every darned wrinkle in her skin now is one that I put there!!!!!

We were total opposites, but as the years roll by we become more and more like each other. Hell, we finish each others sentences.

Girls, if you find the right one, are God's gift to men.
I love it Bert. If you have the right woman, a woman like Sherry, life is a pleasure and time flies by. Sherry is a beautiful woman both inside and out. Like I said you hit a grand slam with the bases load.

When I was a DI at Knox the ghetto of Detroit was a prime area for our recruits. Usually a judge said go to the Army or go to jail. In my two years as a DI we must have received 25% of our new trainees from Detroit. 95% were black gang members. I was a DI during the Detroit riots and had a trainee who was AWOL get trapped in an apartment. The National Guard was shooting 50 cal. machine gun rounds into the building. He begged to be returned to Fort Knox. I met him with an MP at the Louisville airport and off to jail he went. He was thankful. Well at least until he got to Fort Leavenworth.

One of the recruits from Detroit was dangerous and his record in civilian life was really bad. We were warned in advance and when we picked him up at the Reception Center our Field First Sgt, a black man from Sledge, Mississippi, said this boy is mine. The 1st Sgt moved a bunk next to him and started the bad boy on a training program. After each day the recruit was given a 9 pound hammer and led to the training field where a concrete slab awaited him. Starting on day one he had to bust it up until it was fine pebbles. That took about two weeks. Once he busted that up another slab was poured and a hammer awaited him. For six weeks he did this. This recruit soon got with the program and finished number one in physical conditioning and number one on the final PT test. He became a model recruit and the F words were replaced with Yes Sir and No Sir. The last I heard about him was 30 or 40 years ago and his rank was Sgt and he was a lifer. He won a medal in Vietnam.

Now the majority of them were good recruits, paid attention and did well with the exception of the rifle range. It was a challenge to get them qualified. I usually paired them up with someone from Kentucky or Tennessee. All it takes is Tender Loving Care, that and a kick in the butt. Move trainee, move!

Or the Lord! ;)

I was about 19 when I joined I was halfway "straightened" out and decided to join the Army to get the discipline I knew I needed. (That was the reason I joined.) The first day my nose was pouring blood (Not inflicted) due to getting up too quickly. That was the worst and only bad day I had in the Army. Oh there were tough times but none bad. I remembered from whence I came...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT