ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

I've eaten them cause I was just tired of fish back when I was a wildlifer. Rattlers are poorly understood in a not forgiving world of man. I've stepped on them looking straight up. Peered into a cave on a 30' cliff atop steep 250" ravine and was nose to nose. I was buzzed at more times than I can remember. I've never been bitten because they did not want to bite me, I'm too big to eat. They wanted me to go away. I'm generally OK with that. When I killed them it was with specific intent, just like when I rescue them, I use these.​
snake%20bucket%2009282017.jpeg

They like bird feeders, so do predatory birds.

I have had several of the same types of experiences except the few times they were on my property or on my customers property uninvited. I am thankful I am still sitting in a chair. (Had one drop on my chest from insulation while I was under a house once...(Had a copperhead do the same thing.)(I was faster than those dasturbs...)(Extreme adrenalin will do that to this ole boy...)

I have had several of the same types of experiences except the few times they were on my property or on my customers property uninvited. I am thankful I am still sitting in a chair. (Had one drop on my chest from insulation while I was under a house once...(Had a copperhead do the same thing.)(I was faster than those dasturbs...)(Extreme adrenalin will do that to this ole boy...)
I know all about that adrenalin and dropping snakes. I was fishing in a boat with my buddies on the Withlachoochee River when we pulled to the bank to check the depth. I had a long stick and reached over to find the bottom and went head first into the water. Cottonmouths were in the limbs above and when i hit the water, they hit the water. My buddy yelled cottonmouth and I came out of the water and back into that boat lickety split. I was the fastest man alive at that moment in time. Scared me half to death. It was a scene similar to this and we were 20 miles from civilization

The-Withlacoochee.jpg

I learned from a very young age to respect and stay away from a rattler. My grandpa had about 100 acres in citrus and they were very common in the groves.

When I was about 5 years old I killed a snake while playing in the groves and I was so proud of myself. I put the dead snake on a stick and ran to the house grandpa was on the back porch. I showed him the snake and he looked at me and said you just killed your best friend. The snake was a Florida king snake and grandpa had them brought into the groves to kill rattlers. You can see where a 5 year old could mistake it for a rattler. I learned a valuable lesson

This is a Florida King Snake and your best friend in the wild.

Florida-King-snake-adult_000_lg.jpg
I take King is immune to the venom.
Bingo!

King snake immunity
<<<< Linky might work spearmint.

snails-and-bivalves.jpg

Maddie had no tale (tail). It was cropped when we got her as is common with boxers. I really dislike cropping their tails. Much of dog communication is done through the tail. Dogs can't tell their tale as well without a tail. We got her in time to save her ears as that's another major form of dog communication.
Dogs being domesticated wolves are livestock and wonderful animals. Ear cropping/tail docking should depend on K-9 function. For a working breeds, not a bad idea. at all. selective surgery is not evil. It's being smart Ever dealt with a severe dew claw injury. I can tell you for certain a dog certainly wish you had.
doberman-colors.jpg

Docking tails is not tail removal. The short "Puddin" Jack, a true terrier bred for pursuit into a burrow, needs the handle just like its head needs to extend past its feet.

Jack-russell-terrier-tail-768x512.jpg
cachorro-mini-3-1024x528.jpg

A German Short-hair, a happy breed, wags its tail wildly. Undocked the whip like tail can be a bloody disaster.

German-Shorthaired-Pointer-pointing.jpg
german-shorthaired-pointer.jpg

At least the dogs in your pictures have enough of a tail to still communicate with it. Boxer's tails are usually cut very short. Also their ears are usually cut for looks, though with some dogs it is for fighting purposes (less to grab on to). I have seen dew claw injuries in a lab mix we had.​
Protective surgery is not to be confused with abuse or senseless butchery. I'm not disagreeing with what you're saying at all. I'm a carbon based life form, clearly dependent on it for subsidence. Accordingly, from my so called civilized perspective, that indicates all life is sacred. I understand my viewpoint is prejudiced so unfit to judge yours.​

Protective surgery is not to be confused with abuse or senseless butchery. I'm not disagreeing with what you're saying at all. I'm a carbon based life form, clearly dependent on it for subsidence. Accordingly, from my so called civilized perspective, that indicates all life is sacred. I understand my viewpoint is prejudiced so unfit to judge yours.​
No problem. I can also understand what you are saying and I don't think we are very far apart. I'm a very pro boxer man and much of my take is from how it effects boxers. The very short tail and cropped ears can make it very difficult for boxers to communicate with other dogs, which can lead to fights.

I don't think we are very far apart. I'm a very pro boxer man and much of my take is from how it effects boxers. The very short tail and cropped ears can make it very difficult for boxers to communicate with other dogs, which can lead to fights.
pinching-hand_1f90f.png

No doubt it inhibits the wolf communication. Had lots of various dog breeds, including Pointers and Puddins, and training many breeds. Dogs are much more rewarding to interface with. K-9s enjoying the work and a trained dog is much much happier than a spoiled one. I once rescued/trained a feral suckling kitten just for fun. Then bred cats too, selling them, after figuring out coloration genetics to prepare a key for describing coloration. Whew! Cats & Kids.​

Last edited:
Duke is so bad:

This UNC vs Duke thing has me all kinds of conflicted. The mental contortions involved for me to make sense of any of it are stretching me thin.

Thank you UNC for not worshipping K when he came to your house for the last time. F you for being cheating bastards! Thank you UNC for beating K in his last home game. F you for being cheating bastards! Thank you UNC for beating K in his last Final 4. F you for everything from Frank McGuire until this moment!

This UNC vs Duke thing has me all kinds of conflicted. The mental contortions involved for me to make sense of any of it are stretching me thin.

Thank you UNC for not worshipping K when he came to your house for the last time. F you for being cheating bastards! Thank you UNC for beating K in his last home game. F you for being cheating bastards! Thank you UNC for beating K in his last Final 4. F you for everything from Frank McGuire until this moment!

Cheatin' Lewis's peckerwoods is what they are.

Last edited:
One more with Emmylou singing with Gram Parsons on the George Jones song, "That's All It Took." Their voices were great together. And the steel guitar here is terrific - Buddy Emmons.
I still have a few Flying Burrito Brothers albums with Gram Parsons. One of the founders along with Chris Hillman. Former Byrds.

Last edited:
Hailed earlier and has been raining since with the exception of about 5-to-10-minute breaks here and there. Water flowing through my back yard. Having to walk the dogs periodically to ensure they do not go splashing around and getting muddy. Catching the few breaks to let them use the bathroom. Apparently, more coming.

Oh sit right back and you'll hear a tale
A tale of a fateful trip
That started from this landlock port aboard this tiny ship:

IMG-20210327-144923210.jpg

Got nothing else.

In keeping with today's theme... (About three and a half minutes)

Sorry, if I couldn't ensure there were no more that place might be burned. jmuo

Last edited:
In keeping with today's theme... (About three and a half minutes)

Reptiles do migrate/hunt using smell and I wonder if this could be manifestation of that den load of lady snakes legend and these homes are built on sacred viper turf. These would be a family (perhaps generations) of female rattlers. Time to think outside the box again. That's no accident but I might turn my anke hopping around like this.​

Last edited:
Reptiles do migrate/hunt using smell and I wonder if this could be manifestation of that den load of lady snakes legend and these homes are built on sacred viper turf. These would be a family ( perhaps generations) of female rattlers. Time to think outside the box again. That's no accident but I might turn my anke hopping around like this.​

In other words you'd burn the joint...😂 (I'm wit ya...)

Good morning from ATX. Currently 73°F and breezy. Could see 94°F for today's high.

- Picked up our baby from the vet. She was throwing up again yesterday afternoon. In fact, she threw up at doctors feet. Doctor said it was regurgitation. She threw up again after we arrived here at home and then stopped, finally got her appetite about two hours later, and ate quite a bit of boiled chicken. Just now, she ate more boiled chicken. There's still a catheter in her leg (tapped-up). We're going back for more fluids at 7:30 am.

Second sonogram revealed one of two things: Either our baby has a large cancerous growth near her pancreas or some other non-dangerous growth. Doctor thinks the latter. This morning she acts perfectly normal. Other times, such as yesterday, she's constant throwing up. It's a roller coaster.

- What a comeback by Jayhawks last night. I actually fell asleep at the half with Kansas down 15. Tuned in after game over and saw final score. Missed our Cats.

- Austin under huge wildfire risk, fifth highest risk in the country.

Wishing happiness and health for all our fellow D-League members.

Morning folks. It is cloudy and 53.1°F here. We were supposed to have had rain yesterday, but not more than three or four drops. 100% chance of rain today, but not a drop yet.

I am glad Kansas beat UNC as they are 4 down from the Cats; however, it just amplifies the hurt of losing to St. Peter's when we beat the crap out of both Kansas and North Carolina. Dang.

You all have a good day and the best to @Girthang wife.

Good morning! Great news to wake up to! UNC did my dirty work, taking care of Duke this year, but they didn't get the big payoff at the end. In the immortal words of Jerry Seinfeld "that's too bad".

I didn't get a call this morning so I assume golf was cancelled. Looks like a nogo for tomorrow as well.

@UK82 now they're calling for a high of 47° on Saturday. I guess I'll take a coat with me.

I know all about that adrenalin and dropping snakes. I was fishing in a boat with my buddies on the Withlachoochee River when we pulled to the bank to check the depth. I had a long stick and reached over to find the bottom and went head first into the water. Cottonmouths were in the limbs above and when i hit the water, they hit the water. My buddy yelled cottonmouth and I came out of the water and back into that boat lickety split. I was the fastest man alive at that moment in time. Scared me half to death. It was a scene similar to this and we were 20 miles from civilization

The-Withlacoochee.jpg

There, but for the grace of God ...

Good morning! Great news to wake up to! UNC did my dirty work, taking care of Duke this year, but they didn't get the big payoff at the end. In the immortal words of Jerry Seinfeld "that's too bad".

I didn't get a call this morning so I assume golf was cancelled. Looks like a nogo for tomorrow as well.

@UK82 now they're calling for a high of 47° on Saturday. I guess I'll take a coat with me.
Now they're calling for a high of 46 degrees, 13 mph winds and 40% chance of rain. Should be typical November football weather.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT