ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

My next door neighbor found this in his garage last night. Diamondback rattler.

277099251_10158963163486194_5216376773975983638_n.jpg

277791325_1082301225687131_4718202292281918902_n.jpg
Better he found it than it finding him

Good morning from ATX.

Well, my baby started throwing up again around 2:30 am this morning. In fact, she threw up another time as I typed the last sentence. Seems IV fluid treatment only lasts a little more than 24 hours before she's again sickened. Pup scheduled for another ultrasound today. We're taking her to the vet around 7:30 am this morning. Hoping for the best.

Monday, Monday.....

Wishing happiness and health for all our fellow D-League members.

GM all,
Yeah I have a Supervisor that uses that. (Like the guy too.)(GM used to be a car brand.) Kind of tacky but I wanted to try it once. Shorten things down to where things just don't mean anything. I got it and won't go there from this point.

In any event we celebrated the BB's birthday yesterday afternoon. (His birthday is Wednesday.) Had a fine time. (Won't go into particulars now but maybe later.) The BB's other Grandpa visited but left before his party. I wanted to get one picture of us together for the BB but that went up in smoke.

Off to work I go. (No steps to do that mind you.) Have a great day!

Oh, we decided to not submit an offer on the house. My Darling wasn't excited about it. We are looking to move "south" ;). (Not sure when but that is what kept us from making an offer.)

Last edited:
(in my best Steve Irwin voice. RIP) Crikey! Sounds like the D is chocka block full of animal tales.
Maddie had no tale (tail). It was cropped when we got her as is common with boxers. I really dislike cropping their tails. Much of dog communication is done through the tail. Dogs can't tell their tale as well without a tail. We got her in time to save her ears as that's another major form of dog communication.

Last edited:

Morning Legionnaires!

60's on tap today with a side of couch potato resting.

Went fishing at 0700 yesterday and got to my ponds at 0730 and fished until 1130 with only 4 strikes and no hooks (Bass are spawning now so...) Went to Lowes afterward and picked up an air filter, oil filter, fuel filter, spark plug and oil so I could service my riding lawn mower. Got home around 1300 and started servicing the lawn mower with no intent to mow but realized at around 1500 that rain was in the forecast for overnight (it did) and possible for the rest of the week so, I cut the grass and did the weed eating after. By the time my day was finished I was exhausted and dinner was on the table. After a shower, dinner, and two Warsteiners (don't drink much beer anymore, but have one or two after cutting the grass) I fell asleep on the couch as wife and daughter were watching something about the California Night Stalker from years ago. Woke up just in time to go to bed.

On the subject of Rattle snakes, many small towns in Oklahoma have rattle snake festivals around this time of year (some in fall as well) and we go every year (rides and good food). The Apache Oklahoma Rattle Snake festival which is the one we attend, is about a 10 minute drive from us and is on the 14th-17th of April. Usually have hundreds of rattle snakes (some eaten, some turned lose afterwards) because of a competition roundup days before.

I have had a few encounters with rattle snakes both while in the army and while working with the army at Ft. Sill. One time while in the field I ran into a den of them while looking for a field expedient area to relieve myself (#2) dug the hole, started my business before they let me know they were there. One of the fastest, if not the fastest dumps/wipes I have ever taken in my life. They were not more than a couple of feet away from the moon. Probably why they started rattling, the moon was out.

Morning Legionnaires!

60's on tap today with a side of couch potato resting.

Went fishing at 0700 yesterday and got to my ponds at 0730 and fished until 1130 with only 4 strikes and no hooks (Bass are spawning now so...) Went to Lowes afterward and picked up an air filter, oil filter, fuel filter, spark plug and oil so I could service my riding lawn mower. Got home around 1300 and started servicing the lawn mower with no intent to mow but realized at around 1500 that rain was in the forecast for overnight (it did) and possible for the rest of the week so, I cut the grass and did the weed eating after. By the time my day was finished I was exhausted and dinner was on the table. After a shower, dinner, and two Warsteiners (don't drink much beer anymore, but have one or two after cutting the grass) I fell asleep on the couch as wife and daughter were watching something about the California Night Stalker from years ago. Woke up just in time to go to bed.

On the subject of Rattle snakes, many small towns in Oklahoma have rattle snake festivals around this time of year (some in fall as well) and we go every year (rides and good food). The Apache Oklahoma Rattle Snake festival which is the one we attend, is about a 10 minute drive from us and is on the 14th-17th of April. Usually have hundreds of rattle snakes (some eaten, some turned lose afterwards) because of a competition roundup days before.

I have had a few encounters with rattle snakes both while in the army and while working with the army at Ft. Sill. One time while in the field I ran into a den of them while looking for a field expedient area to relieve myself (#2) dug the hole, started my business before they let me know they were there. One of the fastest, if not the fastest dumps/wipes I have ever taken in my life. They were not more than a couple of feet away from the moon. Probably why they started rattling, the moon was out.
I learned from a very young age to respect and stay away from a rattler. My grandpa had about 100 acres in citrus and they were very common in the groves.

When I was about 5 years old I killed a snake while playing in the groves and I was so proud of myself. I put the dead snake on a stick and ran to the house grandpa was on the back porch. I showed him the snake and he looked at me and said you just killed your best friend. The snake was a Florida king snake and grandpa had them brought into the groves to kill rattlers. You can see where a 5 year old could mistake it for a rattler. I learned a valuable lesson

This is a Florida King Snake and your best friend in the wild.

Florida-King-snake-adult_000_lg.jpg

Cloudy and 41.9°F on our way to a rainy 61°.

Once a year in the 1990's we played golf with Charles Koch at Tom Kyte's golf course outside Austin. I don't know where or what the restaurant was called but it had some exotic foods. I always had a rattlesnake appetizer. They are good food.

Cloudy and 41.9°F on our way to a rainy 61°.

Once a year in the 1990's we played golf with Charles Koch at Tom Kyte's golf course outside Austin. I don't know where or what the restaurant was called but it had some exotic foods. I always had a rattlesnake appetizer. They are good food.

I've had Rattlesnake Sir. Also Gator tail and a few other of what I call exotic meats. (Liked Gator tail.) Must be dead though... that is the caveat... I don't play that King snake stuff. ;)

Lord knows I love this music. The best. I am in love with Emmylou

Good morning D-League. Ditto on EmmyLou Harris. Not often do I prefer someone's take on a song originally recorded by George Jones but this take on Beneath Still Waters always gets me. Gram Parsons apparently introduced her to Jones' music and they used to duet on his songs.

One more with Emmylou singing with Gram Parsons on the George Jones song, "That's All It Took." Their voices were great together. And the steel guitar here is terrific - Buddy Emmons.
Thanks man, two of my all time favorites. Gram Parsons died way too soon. Dang drugs, I hate them. What a waste of what I believe could have been known as one of the greats ever.

I've eaten them cause I was just tired of fish back when I was a wildlifer. Rattlers are poorly understood in a not forgiving world of man. I've stepped on them looking straight up. Peered into a cave on a 30' cliff atop steep 250" ravine and was nose to nose. I was buzzed at more times than I can remember. I've never been bitten because they did not want to bite me, I'm too big to eat. They wanted me to go away. I'm generally OK with that. When I killed them it was with specific intent, just like when I rescue them, I use these.​
snake%20bucket%2009282017.jpeg

They like bird feeders, so do predatory birds.

Last edited:
I learned from a very young age to respect and stay away from a rattler. My grandpa had about 100 acres in citrus and they were very common in the groves.

When I was about 5 years old I killed a snake while playing in the groves and I was so proud of myself. I put the dead snake on a stick and ran to the house grandpa was on the back porch. I showed him the snake and he looked at me and said you just killed your best friend. The snake was a Florida king snake and grandpa had them brought into the groves to kill rattlers. You can see where a 5 year old could mistake it for a rattler. I learned a valuable lesson

This is a Florida King Snake and your best friend in the wild.

Florida-King-snake-adult_000_lg.jpg
Let me say that I don't want you ever taking me to grandpa on the back porch.

I've eaten them cause I was just tired of fish back when I was a wildlifer. Rattlers are poorly understood in a not forgiving world of man. I've eaten them cause I was just tired of fish back when I was a wildling finder. I've stepped on them looking straight up. Peered into a cave on a 30' cliff atop steep 250" ravine and was nose to nose. I was buzzed at more times than I can remember. I've never been bitten because they did not want to bite me, I'm too big to eat. They wanted me to go away. I'm generally OK with that. When I killed them it was with specific intent, just like when I rescue them, I use these.​

Immune to venom too.

Good morning! Laundry and dishes are all I have planned for the day. I was surprised to wake up and see it was 1100. Must have needed a good snooze.

We left a couple of windows open all day yesterday and last night. It's in the 50's up in here. Wool socks, sweat pants and sweat shirt, good to go. Doubt I'll do any sweating though.

And now you've just time traveled ahead 1.5 hours. I forgot to hit post reply, again. Am I the only one who does that? I know that I'm distracted by shiny objects and motion, but I do that about once a week.

I've eaten them cause I was just tired of fish back when I was a wildlifer. Rattlers are poorly understood in a not forgiving world of man. I've stepped on them looking straight up. Peered into a cave on a 30' cliff atop steep 250" ravine and was nose to nose. I was buzzed at more times than I can remember. I've never been bitten because they did not want to bite me, I'm too big to eat. They wanted me to go away. I'm generally OK with that. When I killed them it was with specific intent, just like when I rescue them, I use these.​

I have had several of the same types of experiences except the few times they were on my property or on my customers property uninvited. I am thankful I am still sitting in a chair. (Had one drop on my chest from insulation while I was under a house once...(Had a copperhead do the same thing.)(I was faster than those dasturbs...)(Extreme adrenalin will do that to this ole boy...)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT