ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

Rest in peace Joe B. Hall. I loved the fact that he took his feud with Bobby Knight personal, and freely admitted that spoiling Knight's perfect season in 1975 made him so happy that he couldn't contain himself, especially after Knight blew off the post-game handshake.

There was a quote attributed to Joe B. in an Athletic article a few years back. Was it true? I don't know, but I hope so. According to the article, Hall was asked about Knight some time after that game, and he said, “I wouldn’t piss up his ass if his bowels were on fire."

If you find out that WASN'T said, please don't let me know. It is how I want to remember Joe B.
LOL. Have you seen this video of Bobby Knight roasting Joe B. Classic

Last edited:
I am going to do a couple of things today that was not on today's calendar. I have the Brookings Restaurant recipe for chili that Joe Be and Coach Rupp loved so much. I am going to make it and eat it during the game.

Also in honor of Coach Joe B Hall here is Happy singing your song. RIP

Sawnee, Would you care to give us that recipe? There was a guy who ran a restaurant, down by the RR station, in Midway that made chili from that recipe, but he retired. It would be very much appreciated if you could. When I was in school, my second year I moved off campus and walked from my apartment in Chevy Chase. i went right past Brookings, and every now and then, I would see Coach Rupp in there.

Joe B. loved UK football. Wound up sitting next to him at one sunny Spring Football Game some 15 years ago shooting the breeze about football. He had no idea who I was. He was by himself though people kept stopping by to shake his hand. All smiles.

Sawnee, Would you care to give us that recipe? There was a guy who ran a restaurant, down by the RR station, in Midway that made chili from that recipe, but he retired. It would be very much appreciated if you could. When I was in school, my second year I moved off campus and walked from my apartment in Chevy Chase. i went right past Brookings, and every now and then, I would see Coach Rupp in there.
Not at all, would love to spread it around.

You can buy Brookings spices in Lexington or online. I have it shipped to me.
So here we go:

2 lbs of Ground Chuck. DO NOT BROWN THE MEAT
Add 1/2 cup of sweet onion - processed very fine. Add 1.8 oz. of Brookings Chili Spice Mix

Add 2 and 2/3 cups of warm water. Mix thoroughly. Cook at medium heat 30 minutes, stirring frequently.

Add one 15 oz can of Red Gold tomato puree. Cook 15 minutes, at medium heat stirring frequently

Add one 15.5 oz. can of Joan of Arch Light Red Kidney Beans Be sure to add juice to mixture and stir frequently. Continue cooking on medium heat until all the flavors are mixed and it is ready to serve.

This will make 8 bowls of chili.

Brookings Chili may be purchased on-line at BrookingsChili.com or Lexington area stores: Liquor Barns, (Hamburg, Beaumont, Richmond Road, Danville) Critchfield Meats, Kentucky Horse Park, Brook’s Meats, Windy Corner.

http://www.brookingschili.com/?fbclid=IwAR08VH3apdbJkOuPRDVYnqcdYkOoPbLAif_BwOsuW9EQCcDeqxzAiGvJ0Cc

Not at all, would love to spread it around.

You can buy Brookings spices in Lexington or online. I have it shipped to me.
So here we go:

2 lbs of Ground Chuck. DO NOT BROWN THE MEAT
Add 1/2 cup of sweet onion - processed very fine. Add 1.8 oz. of Brookings Chili Spice Mix

Add 2 and 2/3 cups of warm water. Mix thoroughly. Cook at medium heat 30 minutes, stirring frequently.

Add one 15 oz can of Red Gold tomato puree. Cook 15 minutes, at medium heat stirring frequently

Add one 15.5 oz. can of Joan of Arch Light Red Kidney Beans Be sure to add juice to mixture and stir frequently. Continue cooking on medium heat until all the flavors are mixed and it is ready to serve.

This will make 8 bowls of chili.

Brookings Chili may be purchased on-line at BrookingsChili.com or Lexington area stores: Liquor Barns, (Hamburg, Beaumont, Richmond Road, Danville) Critchfield Meats, Kentucky Horse Park, Brook’s Meats, Windy Corner.

http://www.brookingschili.com/?fbclid=IwAR08VH3apdbJkOuPRDVYnqcdYkOoPbLAif_BwOsuW9EQCcDeqxzAiGvJ0Cc
Thanks so much. I just ordered a 3 pack.

I just got rid of a half gallon of the vegetable beef soup. Friend called to talk about the game coming up and I asked him if he wanted some. He hopped in his truck and headed this way.

50 minutes til game time. I'm expecting a beat down today. Tennessee don't scare me none to start off with, throw in the win one for Joe aspect and we should see errybody play today.

Bert, you should hook up with someone and write a book about your times with Joe. Those are memories and insights that should be passed down to successive generations.
I want to second that bertfan31. Bert knew Joe B as a friend and you know he can tell some great stories complete with pictures. The career and person of Joe B Hall is something that must be preserved.

RIP Coach.

I lived on Maxwell Street my junior year and walked by Wildcat Lodge and Memorial Coliseum almost daily. I'd see Coach Hall in the parking lot occasionally and he always waved or gave a warm hello accompanied by that famous smile of his. Cawood was the same way. A true respect for the students. He'll be missed.

Great half Cats! Might hang a hundo on em today for Joe! Shooting 78% in the first half. That'll do just fine.

2 bullshit fouls called on Oscar. Dudes in stripes are the only ones in the country that can stop him.

Grady fouled a guy with his face. I don't know how either.

Great half Cats! Might hang a hundo on em today for Joe! Shooting 78% in the first half. That'll do just fine.

2 bullshit fouls called on Oscar. Dudes in stripes are the only ones in the country that can stop him.

Grady fouled a guy with his face. I don't know how either.
He mugged him. Come on man, pay attention. ;)

Last edited:
box.jpg

Todays game goes down as a good one.

I still say Joe B. did it. Cal actually loved Joe B. It kept Cal on track.

UK needs to dedicate this year to Joe B.

Today many of the Cats played really good games. Our three guards were outstanding. Our bigs and threes were great. It was close to a complete game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT