ADVERTISEMENT

Tell me again why ACC gets an automatic bid to CFP?

gamecockcat

All-SEC
Oct 29, 2004
Preseason top 2 teams already have a bad loss: FSU loses when a heavy favorite to GA Tech and it wasn't a fluke; Clemson gets steamrolled once Georgia got going and weren't very competitive after the first 20 minutes of the game.

Very possible a 3-loss SEC team would be better than the ACC 'champion' based on early returns. But, the SEC team could be left out for a mediocre ACC champ who would receive an automatic bid.

What happens if the ACC champion has 3 (or more) losses? They still get a bid while a top 12 SEC team (or B10) could get left out? Madness.

The 4 byes need to go to the 4 best ranked teams. This is nonsense two dog crap teams get a bye that won't deserve it.
That’s my bigger gripe. No issues that the 4 conference winners get in. But, just like basketball, baseball, etc, conference affiliation should have zero to do with your seed. The byes should go to the top 4 teams in the CFP….period.

This will probably be an unpopular answer here, but allowing wider participation in the championship picture is probably better for the overall health of the sport. Yes, the top to bottom talent is currently not equal between all 4 major conferences, but codifying the playoff into the SEC vs Big 10 invitational would have big consequences. The ACC and Big 12 wouldn’t continue for very long at the current level of viewership and sponsor engagement as mid-major conferences, and I’m not sure a two conference mini-NFL could maintain the same national interest over the long run totally detached from the rest of college football.

This will probably be an unpopular answer here, but allowing wider participation in the championship picture is probably better for the overall health of the sport. Yes, the top to bottom talent is currently not equal between all 4 major conferences, but codifying the playoff into the SEC vs Big 10 invitational would have big consequences. The ACC and Big 12 wouldn’t continue for very long at the current level of viewership and sponsor engagement as mid-major conferences, and I’m not sure a two conference mini-NFL could maintain the same national interest over the long run totally detached from the rest of college football.

It absolutely would because the only programs that matter will be known it.

The big 12 is even weaker IMO. They are a 16 team mid major conference to me. Same with ACC really but at least they have some brand name teams.

The sec and big 10 will eventually break away and will have a nfl lite college football playoff.

Utah is for real, I believe the play top 10 defense and bring back a 7th year QB who is very good. Can they play and beat the top 3-4 teams in the big boy conference I don't know, but they are very physical.

The 4 byes need to go to the 4 best ranked teams. This is nonsense two dog crap teams get a bye that won't deserve it.

I know there are lots of people that don't like Notre Dame here but if Notre Dame had a really good team its equally stupid that they highest seed they can achieve is a 5.

I'm fine with the conference auto bids but to restrict those 4 seeds to that level isn't good.

Yeah, the only way national interest might continue is if the SEC absorbed some teams in the Southwest to cover the rest of the country.

Preseason top 2 teams already have a bad loss: FSU loses when a heavy favorite to GA Tech and it wasn't a fluke; Clemson gets steamrolled once Georgia got going and weren't very competitive after the first 20 minutes of the game.

Very possible a 3-loss SEC team would be better than the ACC 'champion' based on early returns. But, the SEC team could be left out for a mediocre ACC champ who would receive an automatic bid.

What happens if the ACC champion has 3 (or more) losses? They still get a bid while a top 12 SEC team (or B10) could get left out? Madness.
Vanderbilt gets a win too lol.

Reactions: Cold Stout Beer
I don't believe it's written in stone that any particular conference is guaranteed jack. The top 4 conference champions gets the auto bids. In theory, that could be SEC, BIg 10, Big 12, and TWO midmajor champions.
Unlikely, but not impossible.

They have some national championships in the last 15 years.
That's it.
That's all they need to say.
Won't be this year but they can WIN it every once in a while.
History says ACC gets one guaranteed spot. Respect history.

7th year QB lol, I agree but that doesn’t sound right.

I believe I read that right, RS, covid, injury RS and his 4 years . May not have been serious but was said Miami had a 9th year TE. Arky has a 29 year old frosh WR that is full grown, he spend 10 years or so in baseball and actually played a few games in the majors, that damn curve ball has ruined many dreams.

Utah is for real, I believe the play top 10 defense and bring back a 7th year QB who is very good. Can they play and beat the top 3-4 teams in the big boy conference I don't know, but they are very physical.
Wow, a 7th year college qb! He’s had a legit football career, probably remember’s his oc graduating high school!

I know there are lots of people that don't like Notre Dame here but if Notre Dame had a really good team its equally stupid that they highest seed they can achieve is a 5.

I'm fine with the conference auto bids but to restrict those 4 seeds to that level isn't good.
Notre dames extra game would be no different than other P5/4 schools being forced to play a conference title game.

Notre Dame already has it rigged well enough in their favor.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT