ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

Good morning from ATX. Currently 61°F and cloudy. Clearing later. Our high expected around 79°F. Hottest December on record so far for Austin.

I slept in this morning. Plan on taking a walk here in a few. Start turkey and dressing prep this afternoon.

Merry Christmas Eve. Wishing happiness and health for all our fellow D-League members.

Best-National-Eggnog-Day-2020-Messages.jpg

I have the last cup of Eggnog in the Fridge. I raise the glass to the D-League. God Bless you all ..

Ho Ho Ho

Actually I don't Ho no mo.

It is a warm start to Christmas Eve in South Central Kentucky. 54 and overcast.

We are going to have finger food this evening. That is what my son likes. No oysters but some smoked salmon. Shrimp, from the stores freezer section. Country ham & biscuits. Stuff like that, along with orange slice cake, cookies etc.

Merry Christmas to all.

• Good Morning, D-Leaguenites and Lurkers.
  • 36f in Cumming. I could do without Winter.
  • Green Mountain Keurig Dark Magic going down.
  • Waiting on Lola to get up.
  • UCF beat Florida last night. Gus Malzone.
Mr. Don, how far are you from Savanah, My son and his family are there, they had to get away, they just couldn't stay at home for this holiday.

Good morning! Woke up to the smell of coffee and blueberry muffins, got up for the taste of coffee and blueberry muffins.

I read a bunch of stuff on the Cardinal Authority last night and those dysfunctional idiots actually seem to think that UK gets all the calls in Rupp. They are using that as an excuse for our destruction of WKU. Full disclosure, there seems to be about as many of them that understand they really suck as there are making excuses.

I need to go to the store for something I thought of last night. I should write things down at my age.

I am still ensuring I figure out the best way to bake the roast beast. (I have made them before and tenderly.) It is always a concern but I think I have the plan...(have onion's, carrots, and potato's too.).
The most important part is to sear it really well all over. Are you going to bake, or braise?
  • Good Morning, D-Leaguenites and Lurkers.
  • 36f in Cumming. I could do without Winter.
  • Green Mountain Keurig Dark Magic going down.
  • Waiting on Lola to get up.
  • UCF beat Florida last night. Gus Malzone.
Merry Christmas Eve Don! I enjoyed our chat yesterday. We should make that a regular thing for the day after a game if you'd like.

Ho Ho Ho

Actually I don't Ho no mo.

It is a warm start to Christmas Eve in South Central Kentucky. 54 and overcast.

We are going to have finger food this evening. That is what my son likes. No oysters but some smoked salmon. Shrimp, from the stores freezer section. Country ham & biscuits. Stuff like that, along with orange slice cake, cookies etc.

Merry Christmas to all.
Don't advertise too heavily........I am only an hour and a half away.........Merry Christmas to you also......First time in several years that all of the grand kids will be here.......and their numbers keep growing now that we are into the great grandchildren stage.......They also like to graze.....................you start feeding a herd of boys that are 6'-0" to 6'-5" and up to 275lbs.........they can go through some food......and as crazy as it sounds.......when they come in the first thing they clear off is the vegetable trays.........first bunch of kids....(1 1/2to26 yrs old).....I have seen to pass the sweets and stuff for vegetables......and I will probably break out the cotton candy machine and make all of them a cotton candy to eat on the ride back to Lexington.....

Good morning! Woke up to the smell of coffee and blueberry muffins, got up for the taste of coffee and blueberry muffins.

I read a bunch of stuff on the Cardinal Authority last night and those dysfunctional idiots actually seem to think that UK gets all the calls in Rupp. They are using that as an excuse for our destruction of WKU. Full disclosure, there seems to be about as many of them that understand they really suck as there are making excuses.

I need to go to the store for something I thought of last night. I should write things down at my age.

The most important part is to sear it really well all over. Are you going to bake, or braise?

Merry Christmas Eve Don! I enjoyed our chat yesterday. We should make that a regular thing for the day after a game if you'd like.

Bake

Merry Christmas Eve folks. Hope its a good day for all. We had tickets to a show about the "Temptations" at the Kennedy Center as a family outing, but Covid Cancellation. We're still going out to a nice dinner later.

Came across another ludicrous example of "Wokeness" today - this one which hits close to home with my wife's family.

The Army is apparently considering eliminating the Unit Patch of the famous 29th Division - the "Blue -Gray" division made up of former Northern and Southern National Guard units -- that stormed Omaha Beach on D-Day and has been celebrated in movies from "The Longest Day" to "Saving Private Ryan."

The Division was formed in 1917 - decades after the Civil War - to fight in WW1.

My wife's grandfather, an Irishman from Brooklyn, was in the division when it began in 1917, won medals in France, and for decades after the war served as the 29th Division Historian. It was the proudest association outside his family of his life.

The Unit's only ties to the Confederacy is that some of the Virginia National Guard units that joined it in 1917 had a tradition of celebrating their father and grandfather's service in the Confederacy, and named their units after Stonewall Jackson and rebel regiments.

To expunge the 29th, the "Blue-Gray Division" from Army roles, and American history, would be a damned disgrace.

Last edited:
Just made a command decision and a major revision to the SIC. Not gonna use a mix for this one. Going to make the cake and icing from scratch. I bought 2 boxes of mix because I didn't think I could get 9 layers out of 1 box. Found the original recipe and the cake recipe looks like it would make more cake than 1 box. 2 boxes would be too much cake.

Shew wee, what a complicated life I lead.

I have gained no weight since Thanksgiving. I don't know how, I don't know why.

Just made a command decision and a major revision to the SIC. Not gonna use a mix for this one. Going to make the cake and icing from scratch. I bought 2 boxes of mix because I didn't think I could get 9 layers out of 1 box. Found the original recipe and the cake recipe looks like it would make more cake than 1 box. 2 boxes would be too much cake.

Shew wee, what a complicated life I lead.

I have gained no weight since Thanksgiving. I don't know how, I don't know why.

That's plain stupid. talk... There is NEVER too much cake. NEVER!!!

That's plain stupid. talk... There is NEVER too much cake. NEVER!!!
I thought about that and had decided to make cupcakes with the leftover batter. Changed my mind and decided to go old school. I bought AP flour because all we had left was self rising. This cake doesn't lend itself to that substitution. Also bought new baking powder because it seems like that can has been up there for a long time. Now what could go wrong...

If anyone received all the presents in 12 days of christmas sone, they would receive 364 gifts. Go ahead and give them a pooper scooper to round up to 365.

First 3 cake layers are out. Next 3 are in. Gonna wait until all 9 layers are done before I start making the icing.

Whoops. Forget to hit send. All 8 layers are out. Used too much batter on a couple. Still within cake layer tolerances.

Icing is cooking now. I'll make an effort to post a pic when it's done and I come out of my sugar coma.

First 3 cake layers are out. Next 3 are in. Gonna wait until all 9 layers are done before I start making the icing.

Whoops. Forget to hit send. All 8 layers are out. Used too much batter on a couple. Still within cake layer tolerances.

Icing is cooking now. I'll make an effort to post a pic when it's done and I come out of my sugar coma.
When my group finished basic training, they made about two thirds of us cooks and the rest cops. I reckon they knew what they were doing with me. I can barely make a peanut butter sandwich, but I'd been hunting since I was a kid.

Pics when finished or it didn't happen. ;)

Plus, that way I can think about what it would taste like... especially if I was able to eat a piece or six....

Ahhhhmmmmmm Cake. Stop it!

Homer-Simpson-Drooling.jpg

Got up normal time this morning, drank my new drink (health mixer) and a cup of coffee.
Worked out and then started cleaning the house for tomorrow. Wife got up at 0900 and daughter at 10:00. I finished cleaning the house and ate lunch then cleaned up and went fishing. 83° today made me do it. After returning home a little while ago my daughter who had been helping my wife prepare food for tomorrow said she was tired. I started laughing and ask her what is she is going to do when she has to work 8hr days 5 or 6 days a week in about 3 years? She looked at me with a straight face and said: "I already do schoolwork every day". I about fell off of the couch laughing. She looked at me as if I were crazy. She is home schooled online now and wakes up every day about the same as today and starts her schoolwork about 11:00. It only takes her 3 to 4 hours to complete every day so, not much time is spent. Looks like I am going to have to start her on a part time job soon to get her adjusted.

@Sawnee Cat I just may go out fishing for most of the day tomorrow when the in-laws come over since tomorrow's weather will be about the same. We don't open presents until the evening anyway so, I will eat when I get back. Heh, heh, heh.

Pics when finished or it didn't happen. ;)

Plus, that way I can think about what it would taste like... especially if I was able to eat a piece or six....
I'll take a pic once we cut it. Not much to look at now from the outside. Looks like a stack of pancakes with chocolate icing. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Headin' out soon to look at Christmas lights around the county. That's one thing we do every year.

The German word "Christkindl" which means "Christ child" eventually morphed into Kriss Kringle.

edit: Lebkuchen, a gingerbread like treat, is exported from Nuremburg Germany all around the world for Christmas.

Sounds a little like a Waylon and Willie song...

In the Christmas spirit of course...

Out in Lebkuchen Nuremberg ain't nobody feeling no pain...

The voice actors in Charlie Brown Christmas were so young they couldn't read and the director had to tell them their lines.
The Charlie Brown Christmas album plays here at least once a day and has been on repeat since about 4 pm today.........it is all over but the shouting here.........everyone has went home........now we get to relax and enjoy an eggnog..........

@BBUK I am watching right now what should be your favorite Christmas movie. If not, I will be disappointed.

Donovan's Reef

You will have to be disappointed though I do like that movie a bunch. I like the Scrooge Classics. (George C. Scott, Alastair Sim both versions, and another one that escapes me now.) I love Christmas movies, Donovan's Reef doesn't take me into that spirit though I did just watch that one a couple days ago. I like the Miracle on 34th street as well with Maureen O'Hara and Natalie Wood.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT